• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | November 2014

The Hungry Horde - Vita

This game is like Katamari Damacy without all the weirdness. The object is to progress to the next area without running out of time. You can get additional time by collecting humans to your horde or playing mini-games. The six mini-games vary in quality from a boring whack-a-mole, Robotron rip off, to an excellent rip off of the Playstation Mobile game Rebel. The mini games are weirdly put into the game as they break the overall flow of the whole game. It's initially fun and unique but it grows quickly old after repetition as the maps aren't randomized and you have to start from the beginning every time the game is over. Lots of dying because you aren't sure where to go next. To do well you need to pretty much stick to set memorized patterns. The game does a poor job of explaining what is going on but it is easy to figure out after a couple of plays. Worth trying if you got it free on PS Plus.

7/10

h2QCu1O.jpg

I think it's a good (albeit not amazing) game but I can't blame anyone that feels this way.

The fact that it has a bizarrely intense fan base doesn't help it, honestly. Lots of people that either go into thinking it'll be amazing and discover it is the average game it is, or people go into it wanting to hate it because they find the intensity of the fan base obnoxious.

Tizoc

I tried The Binding of Isaac, and had to stop after 30 minutes of constant shit and piss visuals. People actually like this game?? I don't get it.

Go watch Indie Game the movie. Isaac is from the creator of Super Meat Boy, and watching it will give you an idea of why the game's presentation is what it is.

I tried The Binding of Isaac, and had to stop after 30 minutes of constant shit and piss visuals. People actually like this game?? I don't get it.

It looks like nice, semi-16 bit pixel art to me, albeit a bit plain in some ways. Even the piles of shit are there for a reason, like all the other horrific, regressive imaginings of this tortured boy. It's some real ass shit imo.

I think the game is ultimately an exaggerated metaphor for what Ed McMillen was talking about in Indie Game: The Movie about the school calling his mom in and saying they think something's wrong with him, and needs psychiatric help because some of his drawings were perceived as disturbing... only for him to grow up to be successful, appreciated, understood and happily married for that very aspect of his creative mind.

I like that, and it's cool to me that a simple, fun game deals with a loftier and more personal concept than many much more artistically grand and benignly soft games do... but in a really unobtrusive and lighthearted way.

Go watch Indie Game the movie. Isaac is from the creator of Super Meat Boy, and watching it will give you an idea of why the game's presentation is what it is.

This. I relate to that story he told a ton, 'cause my mom "socked it to the Harper Valley PTA" plenty of times. The difference is Ed's mom said "fuck you" and didn't conform to the puritanical, keeping-up-with-the-joneses pressure. Binding of Isaac is like a story about the kids who weren't so lucky, or worse.

SerTapTap

It looks like nice, semi-16 bit pixel art to me, albeit a bit plain in some ways. Even the piles of shit are there for a reason, like all the other horrific, regressive imaginings of this tortured boy. It's some real ass shit imo.

I think the game is ultimately an exaggerated metaphor for what Ed McMillen was talking about in Indie Game: The Movie about the school calling his mom in and saying they think something's wrong with him, and needs psychiatric help because some of his drawings were perceived as disturbing... only for him to grow up to be successful, appreciated, understood and happily married for that very aspect of his creative mind.

I like that, and it's cool to me that a simple, fun game deals with a loftier and more personal concept than many much more artistically grand and benignly soft games do... but in a really unobtrusive and lighthearted way.

Yeah if you pay attention, there's some pretty interesting stuff in there relating to religion, bullying and seemingly gender identity. Mixed in with very lighthearted humor, though whether that makes it worse or better probably depends on the viewer. Personally I love that the game can rather seemlessly go between a scared child suffocating in a box to hide from his murderous mother to that same child screaming because they ran out of toilet paper. It's really amazing what all the game juggles around.

This. I relate to that story he told a ton, 'cause my mom "socked it to the Harper Valley PTA" plenty of times. The difference is Ed's mom said "fuck you" and didn't conform to the puritanical, keeping-up-with-the-joneses pressure. Binding of Isaac is like a story about the kids who weren't so lucky, or worse.

My family/myself have a...storied history with religion and popular culture so I find that aspect interesting as well.

I get what you guys are saying about the story behind the game. However, in artistic mediums (especially something interactive), if someone needs to have things explained to them in order to find any sort of value in the presentation, then the presentation just isn't very good.

My family/myself have a...storied history with religion and popular culture so I find that aspect interesting as well.

eTHDa3g.png

I get what you guys are saying about the story behind the game. However, in artistic mediums (especially something interactive), if someone needs to have things explained to them in order to find any sort of value in the presentation, then the presentation just isn't very good.

I absolutely disagree. It depends on your experiences in life and what you can relate to, or what you readily pick up on and interpret. That line of reasoning would nullify the concept and technique of most poetry throughout the ages. I think that applies more to having to explain a bad joke, but even then, senses of humor vary.

Imagine a completely out of touch %1'r trying to find any socio-political and humanizing introspective worth in early 90's gangsta rap. To some it sounds like savage negativity that justifies contempt, to others it's proof of soul and an otherwise unheard voice that made a generation of young people empathize with and understand what were previously the most feared people in the US.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah I get that there's a meaning to the presentation (and how it touches on various taboo themes like religious zealotism and child abuse), but that doesn't make it any less disgusting. I can only take so much shit flinging before it gets tiring.

I bought Super Meat Boy way back when it was still a Xbox 360 exclusive and I played most of it. I had a good time but I was also annoyed by the various gross stuff, but it was still within acceptable levels for me to not care too much about it. But Binding of Issac definitely crossed that boundary for me.

But that's ok, not everyone needs to appreciate everything, so I'll leave it at that.

I absolutely disagree. It depends on your experiences in life and what you can relate to, or what you readily pick up on and interpret. That line of reasoning would nullify the concept and technique of most poetry throughout the ages. I think that applies to having to explain a bad joke.

Imagine a completely out of touch %1'r trying to find any socio-political and humanizing introspective worth in early 90's gangsta rap. To some it sounds like savage negativity, to others it's proof of soul and an otherwise unheard voice that made a generation of young people empathize with and understand what were previously the most feared people in the US.

I actually would argue that poetry is a fantastic example of what I'm talking about. What makes good poetry is that meets both the criteria of being interesting in a surface reading, as well as being interesting on deeper inspection. If the poetry is very shallow, but aesthetically pleasing, it's not very good. Similarly, if it says quite a bit, but can't express it in a way that people want to read, then it doesn't effectively communicate what it wants to say, and therefore is bad poetry.

The difference in your example is that it is aesthetically pleasing. People enjoy listening to it. That's the first part of the "2 step plan" that I [tried] to articulate. If something isn't aesthetically pleasing within its medium, then even if it says something interesting upon close examination, it's still not very good.

I'll offer another example. If I paint a painting meant to symbolize a deepy personal struggle that I dealt with throughout my life (prejudice, persecution, abuse, depression, etc.), but I am unable to present it in such a way that it has value on the surface, than regardless of what I'm attempting to communicate, it's not very good.

**I should add that obviously these things have a massive subjective component. Some mediums have attempted to mechanize the process of evaluating quality (fine poetry, painting, music, movies), but obviously everyone values things differently. Sometimes a message will be strong enough for someone that it outways lacking presentation, or vice versa.

I actually would argue that poetry is a fantastic example of what I'm talking about. What makes good poetry is that meets both the criteria of being interesting in a surface reading, as well as being interesting on deeper inspection. If the poetry is very shallow, but aesthetically pleasing, it's not very good. Similarly, if it says quite a bit, but can't express it in a way that people want to read, then it doesn't effectively communicate what it wants to say, and therefore is bad poetry.

The difference in your example is that it is aesthetically pleasing. People enjoy listening to it. That's the first part of the "2 step plan" that I [tried] to articulate. If something isn't aesthetically pleasing within its medium, then even if it says something interesting upon close examination, it's still not very good.

I'll offer another example. If I paint a painting meant to symbolize a deepy personal struggle that I dealt with throughout my life (prejudice, persecution, abuse, depression, etc.), but I am unable to present it in such a way that it has value on the surface, than regardless of what I'm attempting to communicate, it's not very good.

Wow, that is one sad way to look at art. :|

Wow, that is one sad way to look at art. :|

Lol. contrarily, I studied art pretty extensively for a long time. My views on art are basically that good = interesting, both aesthetically and in a greater meaning. If one component is not interesting, then it's not very good. My experience has been that this is actually the way most of the artists I interact with think about art, even if they don't articulate it in that way.

Had to cancel my Hatsune Miku preorder since that week is already chaotic.
Hopefully I can find it cheap later down the road. :(

Ditto. Too bad so many games are coming out so close to one another.

Then we're just reducing this to whether you like the presentation or not, even before getting to the subtext and possible interpretations... which is back to where it started.

I disagree about poetry too, because sometimes the face value has to be compromised in order for the desired technical aspects and subtext to flourish. A widely palatable piece will be a great balance of both, but then you delve into medians and lowest common denominators where creative product adhering to a safe zone is often widely liked, but rarely ever truly loved.

I'm a big advocate of natural syntax and language in poetry/lyricism that belies it's subtle complexity and depth. I also enjoy experimentation and constructs of language that, with effort, forces it's purple prose to work. When successful, it can provide style and substance to certain readers/listeners who don't have a stonewalled, negative predisposition to baroque... where the merit and method to madness is dismissed well before it's imparted.

SerTapTap

If this were true, artistic criticism wouldn't be a thing, as the quality of all works would be readily apparent to all interested parties. In reality, entire classes, college majors and career paths exist around criticizing and understanding art and it's context. Not to mention the context of a work may be apparent for some and not others--that makes it's relevance contextual but doesn't necessarily make it a poor work.

In video games especially I can certainly see why one would avoid more "artsy" stuff, and while I try to showcase a fair bit of artsy stuff on my youtube channel, I generally try to state why one would enjoy a game (story? theme? gameplay? music? a mix?). But at some point I think it's healthiest to understand that while you don't enjoy the artistic qualities of a game, that's more a matter of taste than a reflection of the quality of the work.

For much the same reason I'd never try to review a sports game--I don't know exactly what makes them good, I don't enjoy them, and I know people do. But I would serve no one to give a poor review of a game I know I wouldn't enjoy, as those who would enjoy the game would get nothing from it.

Then we're just reducing this to whether you like the presentation or not, even before getting to the subtext and possible interpretations... which is back to where it started.

I disagree about poetry too, because sometimes the face value has to be compromised in order for the desired technical aspects and subtext to flourish. A widely palatable piece will be a great balance of both, but then you delve into medians and lowest common denominators where creative product adhering to a safe zone is often widely liked, but rarely ever truly loved.

I'm a big advocate of natural syntax and language in poetry/lyricism that belies it's subtle complexity and depth. I also enjoy experimentation and constructs of language that, with effort, forces it's purple prose to work. When successful, it can provide style and substance to certain readers/listeners who don't have a stonewalled, negative predisposition to baroque... where the merit and method to madness is dismissed well before it's imparted.

I agree with basically everything you said, lol. I think we're on the same page, but we just take it to different conclusions, and have very different personal tastes.

If this were true, artistic criticism wouldn't be a thing, as the quality of all works would be readily apparent to all interested parties. In reality, entire classes, college majors and career paths exist around criticizing and understanding art and it's context. Not to mention the context of a work may be apparent for some and not others--that makes it's relevance contextual but doesn't necessarily make it a poor work.

In video games especially I can certainly see why one would avoid more "artsy" stuff, and while I try to showcase a fair bit of artsy stuff on my youtube channel, I generally try to state why one would enjoy a game (story? theme? gameplay? music? a mix?). But at some point I think it's healthiest to understand that while you don't enjoy the artistic qualities of a game, that's more a matter of taste than a reflection of the quality of the work.

For much the same reason I'd never try to review a sports game--I don't know exactly what makes them good, I don't enjoy them, and I know people do. But I would serve no one to give a poor review of a game I know I wouldn't enjoy, as those who would enjoy the game would get nothing from it.

I think artistic criticism is the practice of going through the exact process I described, honestly. Not sure where the miscommunication is.

Regardless, going to have to duck out of this conversation, I know from experience we're not going to get anywhere. Such is the nature of the discussion.

autoduelist

Binding of Isaac is tremendous. 200+ hour game easily. The art doesn't bother me at all - sure it's poop and stuff, but it's fairly clear why it's there and what Isaac is going through. And it's not using that art to obscure bad gameplay -- rather, the gameplay is absolutely fantastic. I've put a sick amount of hours into this game since it went up on plus, and still feel every game is wildly different from the last ones due to the huge array of powerups that can change your entire playstyle.

I haven't booted up Freedom Wars since BoI came out. Sure, FW is great, but it's really, really hard to go back now that Isaac has my soul in his grips.

I just beat the game (again) as a beastly demon nun with horns and bloody eyes, armed with a bible.

Most definitely worth your time if you like dual stick shooters.

Tizoc

Heh see here's the thing:
I don't like Super Meat Boy nor Isaac's visual presentation much mainly because It creeps me out! On the other hand I like that a developer can create a game with such an interesting presentation and can respect that.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this is the right thread or anything, but I assume someone will get it eventually.

Quote for 30 day Plus trial.

Sorry if it was mentioned already. Did anyone already receive their 15 dollar bonus for spending 100 dollars on the psn store yet? Thanks.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Did a bit of looking around for Vita stuff locally earlier today. Not much of note, really. Walmart's selling Toukiden for $20 new, which is surprisingly cheap for Walmart. They also have one lone copy of UMvC3 Vita sitting in a bin for $30, which is a bit much. Still kinda want it, though. Gamestop didn't have shit worth mentioning.

I knew I should've stopped at electronics there today. They always have a fistfull of Toukiden in the case and that's one of the gaps in my library that I need to fill.

Garraboa

Me too! Just heard a ring on my phone, went to my mail and it's there! I guess 9 PM is the designated rollout time for these.

SerTapTap

Hungry Horde is...look I'm the last person to complain about "indie games" being on Plus, but this is probably the most generic looking, worst performing, most uninspired game that's hit PS+ in quite some time. I'm not sure when the last time I ever saw screen tearing on my Vita. Long loads, screen tearing, framedrops, gameplay seems pretty tame.

Don't bother.

Got my $15, now I'm off to buy Disgaea.

DoIt.gif

Hungry Horde is...look I'm the last person to complain about "indie games" being on Plus, but this is probably the most generic looking, worst performing, most uninspired game that's hit PS+ in quite some time. I'm not sure when the last time I ever saw screen tearing on my Vita. Long loads, screen tearing, framedrops, gameplay seems pretty tame.

Don't bother.

I'd have to pay for it and even I didn't want to... sounds like I made the right move. You seem pretty level-headed and non-hyperbolic.

Takao

Banned

Don't bother.

quality vita exclusive from sony

FireSol

I have an question about preorders on psn. If i put one they will froze money on my wallet/card or system just will make transaction when the will come?

kng3025

I have an question about preorders on psn. If i put one they will froze money on my wallet/card or system just will make transaction when the will come?

I believe they charge your card/wallet as if you made a regular purchase, but I couldn't be wrong. Haven't preordered a game off psn personally, but have heard from others about the process.

maouvin

Amazon just charged me for my HRAP v4 (almost two weeks after the supposed launch), and thanks to the import fees deposit my wallet is destroyed. Might save this $15 to help paying for Xrd next month.

I so need to get back to this game, but Freedom Wars is killing my gaming time. Takaki-dono must be so disappointed :(

Top Bottom