• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Jingo

They knew that a lot of PS+ $30 memberships from 2013 were set to expire November 2014 so they let us know the big releases that were coming for December and January to keep those memberships hooked.

Now? There's 0 incentive to get out that information out ahead of time as it will hurt the sales of those PS+ games that aren't launching for free on day one for the platform. So they'll give us that info like 5 days before because that's what works for them.

Hum, not everyone bought a ps4 at release date, im sure there are new subscribers to ps plus everymonth.

Grady

skateboarding game....yuck. Hopefully the other game is more appealing for me. Was looking forward to helldivers. Shit, if it reviews well i might just buy it now.

People with no taste perhaps.

It's not about taste, it's an incredibly cumbersome game to play and it takes hours of practice to get to a level where you can make the game consistently do what you want it to do. PS+ titles probably have ten minutes to impress people, and olliolli2 won't do it because its initial ten minutes will be hellish.

People will give up, and those people will hate it.

It's not about taste, it's an incredibly cumbersome game to play and it takes hours of practice to get to a level where you can make the game consistently do what you want it to do. PS+ titles probably have ten minutes to impress people, and olliolli2 won't do it because its initial ten minutes will be hellish.

Have you actually played Olli Olli 2 or are you just assuming that they are just re-relasing the first game and calling it Olli Olli 2? Because if you've really got some kind of crystal ball that can tell you how good this game is or isn't and how people's reactions will be, you should probably put it to better use.

Have you actually played Olli Olli 2 or are you just assuming that they are just re-relasing the first game and calling it Olli Olli 2? Because if you've really got some kind of crystal ball that can tell you how good this game is or isn't and how people's reactions will be, you should probably put it to better use.

I don't think I implied they were re-releasing olliolli at all, but it's not like olliolli2 is an FPS. I also never once mentioned how good the game is or isn't. All I commented on were the mechanics, and they are going to be largely the same, because it's a sequel to a game with very specific gameplay. If you need a crystal ball to see that, then maybe stop going outside because it's dangerous. And remember to breathe.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Not every game needs to be easy within the first ten minutes. Not every game has to be for everyone. A game shouldn't have to make the player feel like they've mastered the mechanics within their first play session. All a given game needs to do is know its audience an appeal to that audience with a good game suited to that audience. I'm sure a lot of people gave up on Catherine within the first couple stages because they found it frustrating too. Did that make it a bad choice? No because it's a great game for the type of game it is and certainly became a sleeper hit for many. Hotline Miami is pretty frustrating at the start. Bad Plus choice? Fuck no. Not everything has to be for everyone and they shouldn't go out of their way to only put super casual games that anyone can easily play on the service. Just focus on quality and keeping the lineup varied.

seabass0

Not every game needs to be easy within the first ten minutes. Not every game has to be for everyone. A game shouldn't have to make the player feel like they've mastered the mechanics within their first play session. All a given game needs to do is know its audience an appeal to that audience with a good game suited to that audience. I'm sure a lot of people gave up on Catherine within the first couple stages because they found it frustrating too. Did that make it a bad choice? No because it's a great game for the type of game it is and certainly became a sleeper hit for many. Hotline Miami is pretty frustrating at the start. Bad Plus choice? Fuck no. Not everything has to be for everyone and they shouldn't go out of their way to only put super casual games that anyone can easily play on the service. Just focus on quality and keeping the lineup varied.

Demon's Souls was also a free plus game. It's in my top 5 of all time but certainly doesn't hold your hand at the beginning.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Am I crazy, or does he say this pretty much every single month? It's weird to me that these deals aren't set like, weeks or months in advance.

It's a more palatable answer than "yes, we know what they are but we're not telling you yet!"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Demon's Souls was also a free plus game. It's in my top 5 of all time but certainly doesn't hold your hand at the beginning.
Personally I couldn't get in to it and got annoyed by the lack of checkpoints and gave up quickly. Didn't appeal to me. But you know what? It doesn't matter. It has an audience and it was a great choice. It's clearly quality and knows its audience. There's plenty of games on he service that do cater to my tastes. I have no problem with Demon's Souls not.

I do see your point, but olliolli (in my opinion) has more limited appeal, gameplay-wise, than any of the games you mention.

All I said is that people will actively hate it*, because olliolli is controller-throwingly frustrating when you're bad at it, and a lot of people (myself included) are very very bad at it. It's also a game that looks like it will be simple, so people will go into it expecting that. I appreciate how brilliant it is when you can play it well, but people won't give it time. They'll get to the "I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME I CAN'T PLAY" stage and give up, because that's how the human mind works when we get free stuff. We give up on it, because there's no need to stick with it to justify the money we spent on it. There's no guilt because we wasted money.

Obviously that's not true of everyone in the world, but a huge majority.

(*as opposed to just dismissing it as "more indie crap" like idiots would to most indie games. And again, I'm making no comment on the actual quality of the game as far as whether it deserves to be on PS+, I'm just saying people will actively hate it, and they will.)

prateeko

So can someone recommend the largest, reliable HDD for the PS3? I have a slim and need to upgrade beyond the 320 GB, it cannot hold all that Plus has unleashed (between free and discounted games)

repeater

I thought the beginning of OlliOlli was very manageable and that the first ten minutes were easy enough. It's only later that the difficulty ramps up.

Erasus

So can someone recommend the largest, reliable HDD for the PS3? I have a slim and need to upgrade beyond the 320 GB, it cannot hold all that Plus has unleashed (between free and discounted games)

There seem to be some conflicting reports.
The maximum capacity supported by PS3 is 1TB (TeraBytes) note: this seems untrue as there are several people posting pictures of their external to internal drive mod with a size of 2TB, but so far no one has been able to confirm that, only to debunk it as fake. See/use the talk page for discussions/testreports
http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Harddrive

PS3 does not seem to support 2TB drives at all!

People have been saying 1.5TB works though, but might trust the devwiki more? Up to you.

As for brand it dosent really matter. Backblaze did a report that Seagate fails more so maybe get WD, Hitachi, Toshiba instead.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Do not get "green" or "red" WD drives those are for storage uses.

I use a WD 7200RPM 750GB.
A 1TB or 1.5TB would be nice as I only have 200GB left.

Example
HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097LG9U8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Toshiba 2.5-Inch 1TB 5400 RPM SATA2/SATA 3.0 GB/s 8MB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AUH3L04/?tag=neogaf0e-20

OEM Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST1500LM006 1.5TB 5400RPM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KY9M6FY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There is an old GAF thread about it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348232

Top Bottom