• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

You're sick of the retro platformers so you want a platformer that harks back to the 32-bit era?

I'd like variety in games offered. Racing games, third person adventure games, first person shooter games, sport games..... you know games that appeal to a wider audience.

But it feels like all were're getting is same old indie games that caters to a very specific audience.

But it feels like all were're getting is same old indie games that cater to a very specific audience.

Except they don't. Hotline Miami has a very different audience to Stick it to the Man has a very different audience to Resogun has a very different audience to Pix the Cat has a very different audience to Velocity 2X has a very different audience to Trine 2.

It's just that for some people, "indie" is all just one type of game, because they're idiots. They're exactly the people you shouldn't be catering to. There are as many different genres in indie games as there are in "AAA" games, if not more.

Eusis

flow is a $0.99 game at best, there are less expensive mobile games that are better gaming experiences than flow. at this point it would be insulting to include it in psplus
I wonder if I'd go THAT low? Still, I think its time and place is when there's new technology to show off, it'd be a great early smartphone game to show what you could do there, and it was a great early PS3 game to show off the system and HDTVs. Certainly better than spending $50 on FantaVision or however much it cost to show off the PS2, I'm sure.

Redhood

We are not getting any full ps4 releases for now. Cause once Sony Starts giving full games it will be hard to go back to indies.

SxP

Are there any source, statistics or numbers for this?

The number of Plus subscribers has skyrocketed because you need it to play multiplayer on PS4. He's just using the fact that Sony gives away indie games on PS4 with Plus as the reason for that increase. In other words, it's a joke.

SMD

To be fair 32-bit platformers were very different to the 8-bit ones. I think it's just that just like brown shooters a lot of the indie games do tend to employ similar philosophy and aesthetics behind them and share a lot in common. I would quite enjoy to have more polished AA or AAA games on the service (especially now, 16 months in after PS4 launched). Basically what I'm saying stuff like transistor or Injustice. At the very least one big game and one small game.

The obsession with Knack is bizarre. If it launched on Steam first, would anyone want it at all?

Why does it matter if the game is "big" if it's shite?

I'd like variety in games offered. Racing games, third person adventure games, first person shooter games, sport games..... you know games that appeal to a wider audience.

But it feels like all were're getting is same old indie games that caters to a very specific audience.

Okay so what racing, third person adventure or FPS games are on the PS4 that could realistically come to Plus? And how would this mythical wider audience be catered by them?

Eusis

While that's probably technically true, I imagine that's sort of like saying Sony had a surge in controller sales when Knack came out. When, no, it's not because Knack came out and EVERYONE wanted to play co-op together, it's because the PS4 came out and everyone wanted extra controllers and the camera and whatever else there was to get. Just like when people needed PS+ to play online they were absolutely getting it.

Mogwai

The number of Plus subscribers has skyrocketed because you need it to play multiplayer on PS4. He's just using the fact that Sony gives away indie games on PS4 with Plus as fake correlation for that increase. In other words, it's a joke.
*muffled laugh*

That was basically what I thought. Didn't want to be so harsh :D

Either this or the fact that PS+ is needed to play online on PS4. I wonder which one made Playstation Plus subscriptions skyrocket ... hm hm

While that's probably technically true, I imagine that's sort of like saying Sony had a surge in controller sales when Knack came out. When, no, it's not because Knack came out and EVERYONE wanted to play co-op together, it's because the PS4 came out and everyone wanted extra controllers and the camera and whatever else there was to get. Just like when people needed PS+ to play online they were absolutely getting it.

I love how you can always rely on the members of GAF to completely miss a joke which was so clearly signposted it even had an exclamation mark at the end.

<3

Eh I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. There's a crowd of ppl here that obviously want retail games because they have broader appeal.

Literally nobody wants retail games because they have "broader appeal." They want retail games because they're more expensive and so they think they're getting more for their money.

That's it, that's the one single reason.

Mario007

Literally nobody wants retail games because they have "broader appeal." They want retail games because they're more expensive and so they think they're getting more for their money.

I want retail games because I enjoy playing them more, on average, than indie games. I have downloaded and tried every game on offer from ps plus for ps4. The only indies that made me come back were resogun, sportfriends (when I have people over) and transistor.

Jimrpg

I don't agree. I like indies but there are a lot that I just have no interest because they are really niche. There's more of a chance a retail game would appeal to me. It's as simple as that.

SMD

Retail games you can buy, play and trade in/sell on to recoup your money. With digital only games, you can't. That's the biggest reason why you Retail-fetishists are crazy.

Been a lot of stuff I like on plus, resogun is one of my favourite games of all time, but out of all the games we've had in the past 14 months, I actually play maybe 4 of them. Outlast, resogun, transistor, and steamworld dig. Rest are rubbish to me.

Retail games you can buy, play and trade in/sell on to recoup your money. With digital only games, you can't. That's the biggest reason why you Retail-fetishists are crazy.

I think the biggest reason is that they admittedly value bad retail games above great indie games and their only argument is literally "because AAA."

Yours is a close second though ;)

Been a lot of stuff I like on plus, resogun is one of my favourite games of all time, but out of all the games we've had in the past 14 months, I actually play maybe 4 of them. Outlast, resogun, transistor, and steamworld dig. Rest are rubbish to me.

If we'd have had nothing but retail games all year, most of those would have been rubbish as well. Have you not seen the PS4 catalogue?

Guys what about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for PS4?

I could see ACIV coming as a PS3 game if anything. Convince people to spend money to upgrade as well.

As for predictions, well, what's coming out next week? OlliOlli 2 is basically confirmed, the question is whether it's classed as a PS4 or Vita game with cross buy for the other. La Mulana EX has no price in its blog post so you could argue that coming next week. Then it's just a matter of what games have come out in the past. Maybe Octodad, maybe Knack, who knows. One old, one new.

PS3 games are a complete wild card though. Assassin's Creed Liberation HD? Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe? Devil May Cry HD collection? Resonance of Fate? Final Fantasy XIII-2? Anything is fair game with the PS3 and the size of its digital library.

Xater

I think the biggest reason is that they admittedly value bad retail games above great indie games and their only argument is literally "because AAA."

Yours is a close second though ;)

True dat. I look at the spring line up of indie titles and think that looks better than the entirety of last fall.

Also fuck Knack. I don't even want that shit for free.

Hustler

I'm sure it's been said, but Knack seems like a prime candidate since it was on sale for $10 not that long ago. I would love to see Rayman Legends or Metro Redux.

Ocaso

I'd say it's more likely for Freedom Cry to make an appearance first. It's stand-alone and it has a separate story.

I'd be okay with that.

Those of you guessing Rayman Legends are forgetting it was on sale less than a month ago. It shouldn't be a plus game yet. Same for Wolfenstein.

sin2sin

Neo Member
I'm hoping for tomb raider for the ps4! I've beaten it and traded it in. It would be nice for another play through until UC4 arrives though!

BumRush

Don't count me in this camp but I'm sure there are other reasons like "next gen" graphics or not wanting to support a publisher (ubisoft) but still wanting to try their games (black flag). I hate how people on this board make blanket assumptions about ALL others on this board.

bombshell

Guys what about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for PS4?

A possible conflict is that they are having a franchise sale on AC in March as part of the Spring Fever promotion.

3/3 through 3/9 -- Games: LEGO, Movies: The Hobbit
3/10 through 3/16 -- Games: Saints Row, Movies: X-Men
3/17 through 3/23 -- Games: Assassin's Creed, Movies: Transformers
3/24 through 3/30 -- Games: God of War, Movies: Spider-Man
3/31 through 4/6 -- Games: Batman, Movies: Batman
4/7 through 4/13 -- Games: Dragon Age, Movies: LEGO
4/14 through 4/20 -- Games: Grand Theft Auto, Movies: Planet of the Apes
4/21 through 4/27 -- Games: Call of Duty, Movies: Taken

KAL2006

Banned
Isn't Ultra Street Fighter IV supposed to release in Spring. I think it should launch as a PSN+ game. It shouldn't cost Sony much as it's a port, and it would get more Street Fighter fans to lead up to Street Fighter V.

the graphical and presentational execution of retail games could just be more captivating to some, right?

like from some kind of immersion standpoint? sometimes a world combined with adequate mechanics could be more enjoyable than great mechanics alone.

dunno.

Okay so what racing, third person adventure or FPS games are on the PS4 that could realistically come to Plus? And how would this mythical wider audience be catered by them?

A lot of them really.

Racing:
-Driveclub
-NFS Rivals

Shooters:
-Killzone SF
-Sniper Elite 3
-Battlefield 4

Third person adventure:
-Tomb Raider DE
-Sleeping Dogs
-Murdered Soul Suspect
-Knack
-Infamous Second Son
-AC4: Black Flag and Freedom Cry
-Bound by Flame
-Transformers

Sports:
-Fifa 14
-NBA 2k14
-NBA Live 14

The rest:
-Thief
-LittleBigPlanet 3
-Rayman Legends
-Lego Marvel Super Heroes
-Lego Movie videogame
-Lego Hobbit
-Trials Fusion

But instead they(sony) rather force feed us indies.

But instead they(sony) rather force-feeding us indies.

They're not just a single monolithic "indies" genre, though. Transistor was a third person action game with strategy elements. Apotheon was a 2D action aventure. Infamous was a 3D open sandbox. Injustice was a fighting game. Titan Attacks was a Space Invaders style arcade game (as was Resogun). Secret Ponchos was a multiplayer action game. Binding of Issac was a roguelike action game.

The people rallying against indies are ignoring the variety of those games. I'm not assigning them a motive, but it makes these threads insufferable. Especially when people are misusing dramatic language like "force-feeding."

EDIT: And even if you want to make the argument that Spelunky, Dust, Fez, TowerFall, Strider, Trine 2, Mercenary Kings, The Swapper, Rogue Legacy and Apotheon are all 2D platformers, I think you'd again be doing a disservice to the variety of those games. Not only that, but many of them were given as "bonus" cross-buy games in a month where we already got two games.

Can't be sorry if the service doesn't always give you something you want to play. But again, sweeping them under the "indie" banner like it's one massive useless genre instead of a great variety isn't doing any favors.

desu

The people rallying against indies are ignoring the variety of those games. I'm not assigning them a motive, but it makes these threads insufferable. Especially when people are misusing dramatic language like "force-feeding."

Yep, it's become a pain to read any PSN+ related thread in the last half year. No matter what retail or indie game they put it, there is always enough indie hate mentioned in the comments.

I still don't understand how some people really demand retail games at this point. Even during the best times of ps+ on ps3 most games were already 2 years old

Well that would require some kind of common sense and less entitlement, something a huge margin of people seem to lack today.

Rezae

Whatever happened to "fun"?

I don't care if they give all indie's or all AAA's or something in between. Don't be shallow and dismiss one extreme or the other. For what it's worth, I've had more fun and spent more time with indie or indie-style games in the past year or so than any of the big scale titles. Fun is fun. Doesn't need a label attached or sparkling graphics.

N30RYU

There will be good months and bad month, it's the way PS+ is meant to be... they can't please everybody.

In january I already got The Swapper and First Light, and this month I already got Transistor. I'll rather have that indi games that most of the ppl wouldn't buy that shitty retail games.

The overall PS+ games quality have dropped. That's clear that the PS+ needed for PS4 online have hurted the PS+ PS3/Vita initial users. I'll rather have a payed PS4 online subscription than it being tied to PS+

I'm a PS+ subscriptor since day one, and till now I should say that for me only have been two or three bad months.

Yep, it's become a pain to read any PSN+ related thread in the last half year. No matter what retail or indie game they put it, there is always enough indie hate mentioned in the comments.

I definitely get the desire to have high-tech graphical games on the PS4. Lord knows I would never pay for Killzone Shadowfall - I rented it and it sucks, but it was very pretty.

But I'd personally rather have games that are enjoyable; I'd only play Knack or Killzone for maybe 20 minutes at most. The quality of the selected "indie" games has been shockingly high and I could easily play most of them to completion and not feel like my time was wasted.

I get where people were coming from (in part I agree with you), I just wish derision for the indie games didn't have to come along. They're not all one shitty genre. They're incredibly varied in every way.

Top Bottom