• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's funny, other than Bloodborne and maybe Uncharted 4, I was thinking that my most anticipated games for this year are all indies; Salt & Sanctuary, Cosmic Star Heroine, Slain!, Ghost Song, Death's Gambit, Axiom Verge, Viking Squad...

I can't think of any other AAA title I'm really anticipating. But maybe I'm just forgetting something obvious...

DedValve

Banned
I don't know how you could argue that most of the PS+ games we've gotten only have niche appeal. They're generally fun, easy games with a wide variety of genres, art and playstyles.

The only thing that separates the "indie" games from a AAA game, in this context, is production value. I'm glad you like them more. But instead of throwing every indie game under the bus, consider identifying what you don't like beyond "oh it's an indie game." It makes for poor discussion and is oversimplifying the situation.

Well put.

Everyone I see this thread I hope it's Marchs games.

The last few pages epitomize why some indie defenders can be even more annoying than indie bashers. Some people (myself included) enjoy a much higher percentage of AAA than indie games. It's as simple as that. There are VERY few AAA games I don't enjoy at least somewhat. I've tried every indie PS4 offering, and lots on PS3. For more than half, I didn't enjoy them at all. Stopped playing within an hour. Their niche appeal was just not appealing to me. There are smaller/indie PS+ games I've loved, such as Resogun, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Outlast, Stick it to the Man, and Strider. But generally speaking, I'd much rather be getting AAA games on PS+.

They're not indie games. They're just games.

The last few pages epitomize why some indie defenders can be even more annoying than indie bashers. Some people (myself included) enjoy a much higher percentage of AAA than indie games. It's as simple as that. There are VERY few AAA games I don't enjoy at least somewhat. I've tried every indie PS4 offering, and lots on PS3. For more than half, I didn't enjoy them at all. Stopped playing within an hour. Their niche appeal was just not appealing to me. There are smaller/indie PS+ games I've loved, such as Resogun, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Outlast, Stick it to the Man, and Strider. But generally speaking, I'd much rather be getting AAA games on PS+.
I'll stop ragging on "indie bashers" the minute people stop sweepingly making moronic comments about indies as some kind of monolithic reality.

There are good games and bad games. It's really that simple. We should want more good games on PS+.

It's funny, other than Bloodborne and maybe Uncharted 4, I was thinking that my most anticipated games for this year are all indies; Salt & Sanctuary, Cosmic Star Heroine, Slain!, Ghost Song, Death's Gambit, Axiom Verge, Viking Squad...

I can't think of any other AAA title I'm really anticipating. But maybe I'm just forgetting something obvious...

Well, for one, there's this year's GOTY, MGSV :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'll stop ragging on "indie bashers" the minute people stop sweepingly making moronic comments about indies as some kind of monolithic reality.

There are good games and bad games. It's really that simple. We should want more good games on PS+.
Seriously. "Indie" is not a genre, for crying out loud.

Well, for one, there's this year's GOTY, MGSV :p
Barf, no thanks. MGS died with 4 as far as I'm concerned.

Stealth inc 2 or Hotline Miami 2 thanks Sony.

If it's anything Stealth Inc. related, it would probably be the PS4 edition of the first one since it is considered to be a deluxe version of the original game (which was on PS+ already for PS3/Vita). They would probably do that to drum up interest in the sequel.

PS4 PS+ so far in my opinion:

NB: Please note this is based on the US PS+ service only, considering that other PSN services such as the Australian one are a complete and utter joke considering pricing

Summary:

Overall Games: 30
Great: (13%)
Love/Hate: (23.3%)
Ok: (30%)
Throw Away: (30%)

We can see that at roughly 2/3rds of games put up on PS+ are at least "Ok" and worth a play.

Breaking it down further:

Indie Games: 27 (90%)
Great: 4
Love/Hate: 7
Ok: 9
Throw Away: 7

AAA Games: 2 (6.6%)
Great:0
Love/Hate:0
Ok:0
Throw Away: 2

AA Games: 1 (3.3%)
Great:0
Love/Hate:0
Ok:1
Throw Away:0

Indeed the vast majority of games are Indie, with only two AAA offerings, both of which are kind of terrible (but more on that later).

For the individual titles:

Indie 2D Action Platformers

Great:
Spelunky - Massive amount of replay value and perfectly pitched challenge.
The Swapper - Very atmospheric, slow paced puzzle game of a high quality.

Love/Hate
Rogue Legacy - A potential time sync, but some people will not appreciate the grind/skill ratio
Apotheon - It seemed awful, but lots of people praise it so I don't know.
Dust - Gets repetitive and the art-style is questionable. But a quality game.
Fez - Not sure if it is great or bad, but incredibly interesting to play through.

Ok
Steamworld Dig - Pretty boring and repetitive, but ok for a few hours.
Towerfall Ascension - Really needs somebody else to play with and kind of limited. But at least it is a multiplayer option.
Trine 2 - Incredibly pretty but incredibly boring game. The multiplayer option gives it a rough pass.
Mercenary Kings - Should be a lot more fun than it is, but at least there is lots of content, even if it is mediocre.

Throw away
Escape Plan - Just too slow and ponderous to be fun.
Stick it to the man - Might be a decent game in here somewhere, I found everything about it off-putting.
Contrast - Seems kind of broken and the bits that work are not fun anyway.

Indie Misc

Great
Don't Starve - Really high class crafting game with a heap of replay value.

Love/Hate
Transistor - I love that it isn't Bastion, and it has a lot going for it in terms of style and interesting mechanics.
Binding of Issac - People rave about it, so I'll put it in love/hate even though I think it is a pretty bad game. At least it can last you a long time.

Ok
Outlast - I think the DLC is much better all around, but it is still a very solid horror game.
Pix the Cat - Really needs to explain itself better, but if you can wrap your head around it the game is well put together.

Throw away
Sportsfriends - People rave about things like Bari Bari ball. But does anybody actually play it? Nope.
Road not taken - Might be a little unfair on this one, but it doesn't get a free pass just for being puzzle based. You have to want to play it too.
Doki Doki - I don't even know what this is supposed to be.

Indie Shooter

Great
Resogun - Speaks for itself really. A bit limited, but does what it does to a high quality.

Love/Hate
Velocity 2x - Either an amazing skill based game that you will spend the time to master, or a dull, mediocre game where you do the same couple of boring tasks over and over. Worth finding out for yourself.

Ok
Pixeljunk Shooter - I always thought this was the worst of the pixeljunk games, the very definition of just "ok".
Titan Attacks - It is only space invaders really, but it can be surprisingly fun.
Dead Nation - Just gets a pass for multiplayer options, otherwise only ok.

Throw Away
Secret Ponchos - Looked great until people realised what it was and found nobody else playing it.

AAA

Throw Away
Infamous: First light - On the plus side, it stops people buying more Infamous out of curiosity. A soulless open world game with few redeeming features.
Injustice - Know how people always say "I don't play MK just for the violence?" Well this shows you exactly how much fun that would be... and nobody plays it.

AA

Ok
Strider - Doesn't reach any great heights but it gets the job done and is worth playing at least for a few hours. I also wouldn't all it Indie, it is sort of awkwardly in the middle somewhere.

Conclusion

PS+ is currently dominated by indie games on the PS4 which should come as no real surprise for people who have kept up with the service. What is more interesting is that in just over a year around a third of those games are potential ones you will love, which is a reasonable success rate coming close to one game every month.

The sample size for AAA games is really too small to draw any conclusions other than Injustice sucks and First Light is incredibly overrated. Of course this is just my opinion (On First Light, Injustice really does suck), but it does highlight the gulf between people who enjoy the Infamous open world style and those who can get 100 hours out of Spelunky. Should better graphics give them a free pass to "ok" or better. In my opinion no, a game is good not be the hundreds of artists who churned content out, but by the quality of often a single designer.

You can't please both crowds, but ultimately I would conclude Sony are on the right path. Even if it does inevitably lead to AAA lovers abandoning the service for another platform, the chance that some of those games will try one of the deeper games and realise that Indie is not a genre and they have been missing out on straight up good games? Well that is more than worth it.

Mr.Mike

I don't get the hate on indie games here. I'd imagine it's alot easier for Sony to get a good indie game to give out than it is for them to get a good AAA game to give out, and I'd much rather have a good indie game than a mediocre AAA.

The way I see it, PS+ lets me try a bunch of games I would have never played otherwise. I don't rely on it to have games to play, and I wouldn't sit around hoping some specific game I want comes to the service.

BumRush

Toddhunter, first light and injustice are...throwaway??? You just kind of invalidated your entire post. At least call them "okay"

Toddhunter, first light and injustice are...throwaway??? You just kind of invalidated your entire post. At least call them "okay"

See this is part of the disconnect. They have top graphics and sound, so they must be at least "ok" by default, right?

I don't believe so. A game just needs to be good.

I'm confused by this comment. The PS4 PS+ offerings in Australia have been exactly the same. (and awesome imo)

I meant price.

See this is part of the disconnect. They have top graphics and sound, so they must be at least "ok" by default, right?

I don't believe so. A game just needs to be good.
Both of those games are good games, and not because of graphics and sound alone. You may not like them personally, but they're absolutely good games.

Good news: First Light is actually really great to play.

Fair enough, I know lots of people would agree with you, probably a lot more than would agree with me.

I just happen to think in the big scheme of things, Injustice is a terrible fighting game and First Light is a terrible open world game. I prefixed the whole thing with "my opinion" so adjust to your own tastes.

PS4 PS+ so far in my opinion:

Throw away
Escape Plan - Just too slow and ponderous to be fun.
Stick it to the man - Might be a decent game in here somewhere, I found everything about it off-putting.
Contrast - Seems kind of broken and the bits that work are not fun anyway.

Throw away
Sportsfriends - People rave about things like Bari Bari ball. But does anybody actually play it? Nope.
Road not taken - Might be a little unfair on this one, but it doesn't get a free pass just for being puzzle based. You have to want to play it too.
Doki Doki - I don't even know what this is supposed to be.

Throw Away
Infamous: First light - On the plus side, it stops people buying more Infamous out of curiosity. A soulless open world game with few redeeming features.
Injustice - Know how people always say "I don't play MK just for the violence?" Well this shows you exactly how much fun that would be... and nobody plays it.

You really feel that First Light fits in with those games? It's a very good looking fun to play open world game that doesn't overstay its welcome.

MMaRsu

Fair enough, I know lots of people would agree with you, probably a lot more than would agree with me.

I just happen to think in the big scheme of things, Injustice is a terrible fighting game and First Light is a terrible open world game. I prefixed the whole thing with "my opinion" so adjust to your own tastes.

I know all my friends love Injustice so hey.

As do I.

First Light is cool too.

And about Sportsfriends, since you cant play it online maybe you dont have any irl friends to play with? Baribariball is indeed amazing.

gUjVyCJ.jpg

Apparently people are linking this saying this is what's coming for PS+ due to a leak.

xrnzaaas

What is this second game from the pic?

Not really happy about LEGO. TT has been copy-pasting the same mechanics for years now and I eventually stopped playing their games.

Karu

Lego game would be awesome. Never played them so them pumping out entry after entry wouldn't br much of a problem for me.

Roto13

I Platinumed Lego Marvel already.

It was really good (or I wouldn't have Platinumed it) but I already have it. I already had Injustice, too. I'm never going to get a retail PS4 game at this rate. :p

TM94

Haven't played a Lego game in years, would be happy with that.

Octodad seems a real throwaway kind of title, could be wrong though.

List most likely fake though.

Top Bottom