• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Mario007

I still don't understand how some people really demand retail games at this point. Even during the best times of ps+ on ps3 most games were already 2 years old

That's not true, considering last year in january PS3 got Tomb Raider and Bioshock infinite in February. Hitman came to PS Plus only half a year after it was released as well. ME3 took a year as well.

WaLlbaNg

That's not true, considering last year in january PS3 got Tomb Raider and Bioshock infinite in February. Hitman came to PS Plus only half a year after it was released as well. ME3 took a year as well.

I was talking about the time prior to the ps4 release and of course there are exceptions

But weeks before? Sony once mentioned games on sale would have a moratorium of some weeks/months. It definitely SHOULD be that way, else they're sabotaging their own sales.

It wasn't much longer than weeks. It was the start of December it was on sale, so then about two months later it was announced for PS+.

Mario007

I was talking about the time prior to the ps4 release and of course there are exceptions

Those weren't really exceptions but the norm. Sleeping dogs also took about 6 months for example. PS3 games were a year old usually when added to the system starting with the IGC. Vita had it even better, getting quality retail games 6 months after the release. It is only the ps4 which is lagging in this regard.

Those weren't really exceptions but the norm. Sleeping dogs also took about 6 months for example. PS3 games were a year old usually when added to the system starting with the IGC. Vita had it even better, getting quality retail games 6 months after the release. It is only the ps4 which is lagging in this regard.

This is a ridiculous comparison. The PS3 was a dying system by that point and people were moving on to PS4 so the sales of those games were tailing off quick enough that putting them on PS+ within a year made sense.

When the PS5 comes out, you'll be getting your "AAA" PS4 games on Plus within a year.

SMD

*sigh* okay, I'll entertain this.

Racing:
-Driveclub

This one is just downright funny.

-NFS Rivals

Pretty sure that didn't review well and wasn't considered a patch on Hot Pursuit. It's amusing to think that you consider this to have broad appeal but since it's on EA Access then it might appear.

Shooters:
-Killzone SF

Another game that didn't do terribly well to convince people it was worth sticking with. Nailed on to appear at some point in the future so you'll get that bone if you can keep your pants on.

-Sniper Elite 3

Again, your idea of broad appeal seems to be haphazard.

-Battlefield 4

I really doubt EA are going to allow this to happen when they'll be ramping up for Battlefield Hardline. It'd utterly cannibalise it.

Third person adventure:
-Tomb Raider DE

You'd rather a game they already gave away on the PS3 and is a straight port?

-Sleeping Dogs

See above.

-Murdered Soul Suspect

If you desperately want this game, you can buy it used for £12 and trade it back to Amazon for £8 so knock yourself out.

z0GabHa.gif

-Infamous Second Son

We got First Light, what's wrong with you?

-AC4: Black Flag and Freedom Cry

Can see Freedom Cry being included soon.

-Bound by Flame

Now you're scraping the barrel here.

-Transformers

No wait, here you are.

Sports:
-Fifa 14
-NBA 2k14
-NBA Live 14

Year old sports franchises are meant to be broadening the appeal?

The rest:
-Thief
-LittleBigPlanet 3
-Rayman Legends
-Lego Marvel Super Heroes
-Lego Movie videogame
-Lego Hobbit
-Trials Fusion

Thief was just given away on PS3, Rayman Legends is a 2D platformer that you were complaining there were too many of, Little Big Planet 3 is recent AND a 2D platformer AND not as tight as many indie games. And all the Lego games are much of a muchness.

Which leaves you with Trials Fusion. A great game but very 2D and quite platformy.

But instead they(sony) rather force feed us indies.

You sound like a kid who won't eat their veg and just wants McDonalds all day every day.

I'm hoping for tomb raider for the ps4! I've beaten it and traded it in. It would be nice for another play through until UC4 arrives though!

It's been in sales for really low prices half a dozen times over the past couple months, so it'll probably show up by summer. Sony claimed they wouldn't slash prices on games right before they go up on Plus, so now they discount 'em and then wait a few months so no one whines like they do about everything else.

I'm hoping for Black Flag for March. I had a physical copy and traded it in before completing it. Wouldn't mind going back and platinuming it.

PS3 is a crap shoot, hundreds of game to choose from. Vita will get more indies I'm sure. I wouldn't mind tearaway though.

Ocaso

It wasn't much longer than weeks. It was the start of December it was on sale, so then about two months later it was announced for PS+.

Two months is a reasonable moratorium. Both Wolfenstein and Rayman Legends (and Tomb Raider Definitive) had sales too recently to be realistic choices.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A lot of them really.

Racing:
-Driveclub
-NFS Rivals

Shooters:
-Killzone SF
-Sniper Elite 3
-Battlefield 4

Third person adventure:
-Tomb Raider DE
-Sleeping Dogs
-Murdered Soul Suspect
-Knack
-Infamous Second Son
-AC4: Black Flag and Freedom Cry
-Bound by Flame
-Transformers

Sports:
-Fifa 14
-NBA 2k14
-NBA Live 14

The rest:
-Thief
-LittleBigPlanet 3
-Rayman Legends
-Lego Marvel Super Heroes
-Lego Movie videogame
-Lego Hobbit
-Trials Fusion

But instead they(sony) rather force feed us indies.
I can't believe you are actually serious. First of all, Sleeping Dogs and Thief were already on PS+ for the PS3. Second, Trials Fusion might be backed by Ubisoft now but it started as an indie game and it's arguably not even as good as the previous iterations. And third, you want Knack, Bound by Flame, a shitty Lego game...? Transformers?!! I don't and I think many would agree.

Then again I don't want those boring brown shooters either. In fact the only game that appeals to me on that list is Rayman Legends and my friend has a copy I could borrow anyway. But I just completed a playthrough of Dust: An Elysian Tail (a PS+ offering from October) and I want more games like this because it was actually, you know, fun.

I would pistol whip a newly self aware Skynet and force it into playing Genesis games if I had to.

All systems should play 16-bit SEGA.
Truth. At least we have Steam for that.

I just like...want good games. Don't care how big they are. A good game is a good game.
Yup.

Getting caught up on labels is meaningless, I had more fun with Journey, an hour long "indie game" than a majority of higher budget titles. It doesn't matter how long or big the game is, it's the girth of enjoyment that matters when the fun is inside you.

Astral

I want a good game that's also long. I absolutely loved Transistor but the game is incredibly short. I need something to hold me over till Bloodborne.

Mario007

This is a ridiculous comparison. The PS3 was a dying system by that point and people were moving on to PS4 so the sales of those games were tailing off quick enough that putting them on PS+ within a year made sense.

When the PS5 comes out, you'll be getting your "AAA" PS4 games on Plus within a year.

You need to start getting your facts straight. Even before the PS4 was launched was the PS3 getting year old games, and quality ones at that. For example Mass Effect 3, Hitman or Sleeping Dogs. You also completely neglected the Vita.

You need to start getting your facts straight. Even before the PS4 was launched was the PS3 getting year old games, and quality ones at that. For example Mass Effect 3, Hitman or Sleeping Dogs. You also completely neglected the Vita.

The Vita's been a dying system since before it came out.

I wasn't trying to suggest that PS3 games suddenly got good the second the PS4 came out, but it was very very obvious that we were at the end of the generation, and games had gone as far as they were going to go. People wanted new experiences and so stuff like BioShock Infinite pretty much tanked on consoles. ME3 tanked on PS3 because everyone was already invested in Xbox 360 save files. Etc.

They weren't giving you those games because they were feeling generous, they were giving you them because it was in their interest to.

*sigh* okay, I'll entertain this.

You asked for games that are on the PS4 and could realistically come to Plus.

This one is just downright funny.

I don't see nothing funny about it. They promised PS+ version and failed to deliver. After this they should just give us the full version.

Pretty sure that didn't review well and wasn't considered a patch on Hot Pursuit. It's amusing to think that you consider this to have broad appeal but since it's on EA Access then it might appear.

PS+ doesn't care about reviews or metacritic scores for quite some time now. NFS games are popular. So yes it would have a broad appeal.

Another game that didn't do terribly well to convince people it was worth sticking with. Nailed on to appear at some point in the future so you'll get that bone if you can keep your pants on.

That's why its perfect for PS+. Also it's a shooter. And there's MP with free maps. I'm surprised it's not F2P title already.

I really doubt EA are going to allow this to happen when they'll be ramping up for Battlefield Hardline. It'd utterly cannibalise it.

They released Battlefield 3 just before Battlefield 4 came out.

You'd rather a game they already gave away on the PS3 and is a straight port?

Yes I would (both games). It's a definitive edition with dlc included.
Seems like you just assume that everyone also has a PS3 and played it already.

If you desperately want this game, you can buy it used for £12 and trade it back to Amazon for £8 so knock yourself out.

You can say this for pretty much every game out there.

What ? I'm not the only one who's waiting for Knack to finally come to PS+

We got First Light, what's wrong with you?

We got a stand alone dlc that's a prequel. I don't see why not ?

Now you're scraping the barrel here.

No i'm not. Again you asked for games that could realistically come to Plus. That game could easily came since it's AA title and old.

No wait, here you are.
Same as above.

Year old sports franchises are meant to be broadening the appeal?

Yes. They did this with PS3 titles.

Thief was just given away on PS3, Rayman Legends is a 2D platformer that you were complaining there were too many of, Little Big Planet 3 is recent AND a 2D platformer AND not as tight as many indie games. And all the Lego games are much of a muchness.

With Thief you still assume that everyone has a PS3.
I'd rather take Rayman Legends than every other indie platformer that was offered.
Little Big Planet 3 sold poorly, as their game it's perfect for PS+
What's wrong with lego games ?

You sound like a kid who won't eat their veg and just wants McDonalds all day every day.

And you sound like one of them health freaks. With PS+ on ps4 all we ever get is vegetables and no meat.

Literally nobody wants retail games because they have "broader appeal." They want retail games because they're more expensive and so they think they're getting more for their money.

That's it, that's the one single reason.

The last few pages epitomize why some indie defenders can be even more annoying than indie bashers. Some people (myself included) enjoy a much higher percentage of AAA than indie games. It's as simple as that. There are VERY few AAA games I don't enjoy at least somewhat. I've tried every indie PS4 offering, and lots on PS3. For more than half, I didn't enjoy them at all. Stopped playing within an hour. Their niche appeal was just not appealing to me. There are smaller/indie PS+ games I've loved, such as Resogun, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Outlast, Stick it to the Man, and Strider. But generally speaking, I'd much rather be getting AAA games on PS+.

The last few pages epitomize why some indie defenders can be even more annoying than indie bashers. Some people (myself included) enjoy a much higher percentage of AAA than indie games. It's as simple as that. There are VERY few AAA games I don't enjoy at least somewhat. I've tried every indie PS4 offering, and lots on PS3. For more than half, I didn't enjoy them at all. Stopped playing within an hour. Their niche appeal was just not appealing to me. There are smaller/indie PS+ games I've loved, such as Resogun, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Outlast, Stick it to the Man, and Strider. But generally speaking, I'd much rather be getting AAA games on PS+.

i've enjoyed a lot of indies, but i kind of agree with this. they need to offer more modern-style, graphically appealing games (which i'd include something like outlast in there). there should be a mix of old, new, indie, AAA, etc

Auctopus

The fact of the matter is, Sony can't start giving out AAA games because then they have to keep it up and there's not enough suitable AAA games right now. It's not as 'simple' as some of you make out, it's a business at the end of the day and giving away indies is cost effective.

Not to mention, some vegetables like Spelunky and Binding of Isaac taste better than some over cooked steaks.

Roto13

If I didn't have PS+ and just bought all of the PS+ indies that I was interested in playing, I'd spend less money.

I only keep PS+ for the sales at this point.

If I could vote, Id vote for this man, these are exacly my thoughts.

I'm not really sure as to how these last few pages epitomize that. If anything, the shocking disregard of all indie games by a bunch of people in practically every PS Plus announcement thread is something that becomes extremely grating and tiresome. So when you have people decrying that indie games aren't real games and that they want KNACK (!!!), it's not surprising that others will argue against that.

Jedi2016

Knack's been as cheap as what... five bucks? If you really want to play it, you've had plenty of opportunity before now, I really don't think it will be worth the wait if you absolutely have to have it for free.

I haven't gotten most of the indie games simply because the specific games don't interest me, not because they're indie games. I can think of a few indies that I haven't played yet that I'd love to have on PS+, but I don't even know if they're on the system at all, much less feasible for PS+.

I don't know how you could argue that most of the PS+ games we've gotten only have niche appeal. They're generally fun, easy games with a wide variety of genres, art and playstyles.

The only thing that separates the "indie" games from a AAA game, in this context, is production value. I'm glad you like them more. But instead of throwing every indie game under the bus, consider identifying what you don't like beyond "oh it's an indie game." It makes for poor discussion and is oversimplifying the situation.

The thing about indie games I've found is they don't really look like fun in a video but your opinion can change when actually trying them. That can be the case with AAA titles as well but I've personally found it more the case with simpler indie titles.

Top Bottom