• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Carl

I reckon it will be The Order (cause it probably sold about 3 copies), and Bloodborne cause Sony realises no one will buy it

I don't know why i feel the need to point out i was joking, but stil...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
i can't wait to be disappointed lol

Yeah, by now the suspense has become greater than any realistic payoff.

suspense.gif

Y0j1mb0

Ignoring the "leak" for now to share a thought I had earlier today. Banner Saga PS4. We know it's coming, but is there a release date? Would be a pretty nice PS+ game.

Calling it know for the tiny chance it happens.

That would be awesome... which is why it wont happen.

netguy503

Love this quote.

C'mon guys, not nearly enough photoshop on the last page :p

I think we'll get an announcement tomorrow. Not too worried about it, still occupied with Feb's plus games.

I still haven't finished Contrast. And it was the weekend, you guys were really expecting any news?

I still haven't finished Contrast. And it was the weekend, you guys were really expecting any news?

Did anyone bother to finish Contrast?

EDIT: Trying this again:

Yes, and production values are very important to a lot of people! That's generally something I look for in most games. Throwing every indie game under the bus? How so? I even listed ones I love! I just said that I want more AAA games because there are many indie games I don't like at all, but very few AAA games I don't enjoy.

I don't personally like games with the old-school graphics style - as seen in games like Rogue Legacy, Mercenary Kings, Don't Starve, Fez, Towerfall Ascension, etc. I also really don't care for the gameplay in any of those games (I know they're different styles of games). In addition to lower production values in MOST (not all!) indies (graphics, story, voice work), they're normally shorter and smaller experiences than big AAA games. And I find that they have less depth in terms of mechanics, variety, and systems (most of the time!

For one, I was simply arguing against the claim that indies have niche appeal, which is ridiculous. But now you've shown up with even more insane generalizations about indie games - throwing them under the bus indeed, now they're all of a sudden less deep, shorter, worse games. Uh, huh? Awhat? Where the fuck did that come from?

Again, great if you tend to like games with higher production value. But indie games aren't a genre or a classification system outside of that. So I'm not following you on this whole "indie games are less deep, less variety, shorter" train you've got going there, because I disagree with you wholeheartedly and I think it's a terrible way to communicate which games we like or dislike.

I got all the trophies in it....

Aha! We found one!

I did. Great game, but quite a few bugs. Was shorter than I expected, if I remember it correctly.

Gasp! Another!

I meant more that, other than resogun and dead nation which I platinumed, I don't think I've completed/opened any other plus game since launch. I still havent touched Stick It To The Man, Doki Doki, Trine, etc.

Just making a joke as to the reception of Contrast. :p

But I agree. I haven't completed many of my PS Plus games. I'd like to, but the pile continues to accumulate. I hold back buying retail games because there's so much good PS Plus stuff to play on PS4.

I finished Contrast and liked it. The controls drove me mad sometimes and killed and desire for a second play through, but it was mostly enjoyable. I'm excited for what the developers can make with more time and more money.

I don't personally like games with the old-school graphics style - as seen in games like Rogue Legacy, Mercenary Kings, Don't Starve, Fez, Towerfall Ascension, etc. I also really don't care for the gameplay in any of those games (I know they're different styles of games). In addition to lower production values in MOST (not all!) indies (graphics, story, voice work), they're normally shorter and smaller experiences than big AAA games. And I find that they have less depth in terms of mechanics, variety, and systems (most of the time!)

I can agree with mostly everything you said, but I'd be hard pressed to find examples that support the bolded part. There's a lot more depth in something like Rogue Legacy than, say, Call of Duty in single player. Games with high production values have become, more and more, similar in gameplay, with half a dozen different types of gameplay that are repeated through the industry. If you've played, again, CoD, you can play most of the big budget FPSs on the market, as they feel quite similar, with similar level structure, storytelling, controls, even gun handling and enemy AI.

The market isn't going to spend money in something that is unproven, and even less limit their market with complicated systems that most people won't get. This is the reality of capitalism. So it is up to small companies to bring innovation and gameplay depth. And indie games have those in spades sometimes.

I miss big budget games sometimes, but I only have to play them for a few minutes to start missing all the brain work Fez demands, the planning Don't Starve requires, or the fear of the unknown Rogue Legacy gives.

Did anyone bother to finish Contrast?

EDIT: Trying this again:

For one, I was simply arguing against the claim that indies have niche appeal, which is ridiculous. But now you've shown up with even more insane generalizations about indie games - throwing them under the bus indeed, now they're all of a sudden less deep, shorter, worse games. Uh, huh? Awhat? Where the fuck did that come from?

Again, great if you tend to like games with higher production value. But indie games aren't a genre or a classification system outside of that. So I'm not following you on this whole "indie games are less deep, less variety, shorter" train you've got going there, because I disagree with you wholeheartedly and I think it's a terrible way to communicate which games we like or dislike.

It's not ridiculous at all to conclude that many indie games have niche appeal. Just consider sales if nothing else. 99% of them are not even close to the big AAA games. Hence, mass market appeal v. niche appeal. That's not an opinion - it's a fact.

'Worse' is subjective. There's a handful of indie games I've enjoyed. But yeah - in my opinion, indie games are generally worse than AAA games...based on what I'm looking for (and the mass market seems to as well). But there's lots of people on this forum who seem to enjoy more indie games than AAA games. And that's great!

Shorter? A lot of the time yes. There are of course exceptions, but indie games are by and large shorter than their AAA counterparts. Less deep? Often, I'd say yes. But that one's a bit more subjective.

We all speak in opinions. But there are facts too (sales, length). And as stated, their different approach to graphics, stories, and gameplay often don't appeal to me. I would like more AAA games to come to PS Plus because I enjoy a much higher percentage of them than indie games, and they last me longer. The happy medium which will likely arrive not too far into the future is one AAA game and one indie game per month on PS4.

Yep. I wouldn't care if they didn't announce the PS+ games until the blog post showing that they were up each month.

That's the thing though, if they did that every month i don't think anyone would care. It's the expectation that's been set by sony based on prior months that we would have found out mid to late last week

I finished Contrast and liked it. The controls drove me mad sometimes and killed and desire for a second play through, but it was mostly enjoyable. I'm excited for what the developers can make with more time and more money.

I can agree with mostly everything you said, but I'd be hard pressed to find examples that support the bolded part. There's a lot more depth in something like Rogue Legacy than, say, Call of Duty in single player. Games with high production values have become, more and more, similar in gameplay, with half a dozen different types of gameplay that are repeated through the industry. If you've played, again, CoD, you can play most of the big budget FPSs on the market, as they feel quite similar, with similar level structure, storytelling, controls, even gun handling and enemy AI.

The market isn't going to spend money in something that is unproven, and even less limit their market with complicated systems that most people won't get. This is the reality of capitalism. So it is up to small companies to bring innovation and gameplay depth. And indie games have those in spades sometimes.

I miss big budget games sometimes, but I only have to play them for a few minutes to start missing all the brain work Fez demands, the planning Don't Starve requires, or the fear of the unknown Rogue Legacy gives.

Yeah, that's a valid opinion. My perception of depth and variety might be impacted a bit by the fact that I don't get far enough into the indie games that I don't like. And that I don't like the mechanics in the indie games a lot of the time, so it effects my opinion of them; making them seem bland and same-y because I don't like them.

Good to see you agree with most of everything else I said, though. Production values and length are the biggest distinctions for me. And there's a much higher percentage of time I don't like the gameplay in indies than in AAA games. My taste is more in line with the mass market.

Maybe we'll get a stealth release of VVVVVV as one of the Vita titles. What ever happened to that anyway? The trophies went up on the server months ago. Crimsonland strikes me as a likely candidate too, the PS3 version launches tomorrow so it'll be on all three systems.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I can't wait to download March's PS+ games!

JNA

Banned
Driveclub full edition would be the perfect make good for the fiasco that was ps+ Driveclub.

They should totally do it.

They really should. I'm never gonna get the game unless heavily discounted anyway, so this would make a nice PS+ game.

That and as you said, it would pretty much make up for the PS+ version event.

It's not ridiculous at all to conclude that many indie games have niche appeal. Just consider sales if nothing else. 99% of them are not even close to the big AAA games. Hence, mass market appeal v. niche appeal. That's not an opinion - it's a fact.

'Worse' is subjective. There's a handful of indie games I've enjoyed. But yeah - in my opinion, indie games are generally worse than AAA games...based on what I'm looking for (and the mass market seems to as well). But there's lots of people on this forum who seem to enjoy more indie games than AAA games. And that's great!

Shorter? A lot of the time yes. There are of course exceptions, but indie games are by and large shorter than their AAA counterparts. Less deep? Often, I'd say yes. But that one's a bit more subjective.

We all speak in opinions. But there are facts too (sales, length). And as stated, their different approach to graphics, stories, and gameplay often don't appeal to me. I would like more AAA games to come to PS Plus because I enjoy a much higher percentage of them than indie games, and they last me longer. The happy medium which will likely arrive not too far into the future is one AAA game and one indie game per month on PS4.
Sales is one of the dumber ways to quantify the "appeal" of a game. Of course 99% of them aren't close to AAA titles...that's why they're not AAA. They're made by small development teams with smaller development budgets and most importantly smaller marketing budgets. Yeah, of course a game like Don't Starve isn't going to make $1 billion like Destiny. But it also didn't have a $5+ million marketing budget. That doesn't mean Don't Starve is a niche game.

Which indie games offered on PS+ have had niche appeal?

Top Bottom