• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

MUnited83

For you.
This is going to be Sony tomorrow:

"Hey guys, this is what we've got for you for Mar"

50057-Troy-fire-Community-gif-BuCt.gif

I never made a GIF before and I have zero experience on photo editing.But I had a free hour so I said fuck it. The results:

cYoc1nn.gif

Sales is one of the dumber ways to quantify the "appeal" of a game. Of course 99% of them aren't close to AAA titles...that's why they're not AAA. They're made by small development teams with smaller development budgets and most importantly smaller marketing budgets. Yeah, of course a game like Don't Starve isn't going to make $1 billion like Destiny. But it also didn't have a $5+ million marketing budget. That doesn't mean Don't Starve is a niche game.

Which indie games offered on PS+ have had niche appeal?

No, it's really not a dumb way to measure it. It goes to the core of the meaning of the word 'niche'. You're absolutely right that indie games by definition sell less...because they have a more niche appeal. The mass market is not interested in them as they are in AAA games. You can't possibly think a game like Don't Starve would sell even close to most AAA games even with the exact same marketing budget. It would sell more than it does now, sure. But its style of graphics and gameplay do not have mass market appeal. There's nothing wrong with that. Some indie games are incredible. But again...generally speaking, the average person finds more appeal in a higher percentage of AAA games than indie games. Myself included.

Which indie games from PS Plus have niche market appeal? Basically all of them. Don't Starve, Rogue Legacy, Mercenary Kings, etc. And I'd argue that the indie games with the old-school graphics have more niche appeal than indie games with more modern graphics.

I finished Contrast and liked it. The controls drove me mad sometimes and killed and desire for a second play through, but it was mostly enjoyable. I'm excited for what the developers can make with more time and more money.

I finished it. Got all the trophies too. Enjoyed it.

Agreeing with both of these. Contrast was surprisingly enjoyable, but a little on the buggy side. It's just the right length though, and doesn't overstay its welcome especially with the level of polish on the gameplay.

Honestly, it's better than Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

DrkSage

There's no better gif than this one to describe how I feel every time I see this thread pop up on the first page:

giphy.gif

I wonder what's taking Sony so long.

Fbh

Driveclub full edition would be the perfect make good for the fiasco that was ps+ Driveclub.

They should totally do it.

I think they might actually skip the "Ps Plus" edition and just release the whole game at some point.

But March would seem too soon.
I can imagine some people that got it at launch or during the launch window wouldn't be too happy about it

RedAssedApe

Banned
i don't know if sony would want another launch debacle with driveclub. they would truly be the final nail in the DC coffin.

maybe they should stealth launch it to some long-time ps+ subscribers and slowly open it up as to incrementally increase the load on the servers to see if it holds up.

No, it's really not a dumb way to measure it. It goes to the core of the meaning of the word 'niche'. You're absolutely right that indie games by definition sell less...because they have a more niche appeal. The mass market is not interested in them as they are in AAA games. You can't possibly think a game like Don't Starve would sell even close to most AAA games even with the exact same marketing budget. It would sell more than it does now, sure. But its style of graphics and gameplay do not have mass market appeal. There's nothing wrong with that. Some indie games are incredible. But again...generally speaking, the average person finds more appeal in a higher percentage of AAA games than indie games. Myself included.

Which indie games from PS Plus have niche market appeal? Basically all of them. Don't Starve, Rogue Legacy, Mercenary Kings, etc. And I'd argue that the indie games with the old-school graphics have more niche appeal than indie games with more modern graphics.
You're creating a causation that you can't prove. There's no way to say that indie games sell less because they have a niche appeal or if they sell less because of other factors. I certainly think that if Don't Starve had been blessed with a multi-million dollar marketing budget, it would have done even better for itself. It already did incredible sales without that budget.

But whatever. We'll ignore that. So, what sales target does a game need to meet to no longer be niche to you? Do you have more arbitrary delineations that you've crafted?

Dugna

So, what sales target does a game need to meet to no longer be niche to you? Do you have more arbitrary delineations that you've crafted?

usually the number I can think of would be around 1mil or above to be considered not niche anymore....though then I would have to start considering Persona to not be niche...

JNA

Banned
I think they might actually skip the "Ps Plus" edition and just release the whole game at some point.

But March would seem too soon.
I can imagine some people that got it at launch or during the launch window wouldn't be too happy about it

Sony's reaction should then be:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=86MO-JWTNjo

usually the number I can think of would be around 1mil or above to be considered not niche anymore....though then I would have to start considering Persona to not be niche...

Persona is not niche anymore. Especially the reaction to the gameplay trailer video and how much it trended on Twitter.

Dugna

Sony's reaction should then be:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=86MO-JWTNjo

Persona is not niche anymore. Especially the reaction to the gameplay trailer video and how much it trended on Twitter.

I guess but to get something trending on Twitter it isn't as hard as you think. Dunno it borders on not being niche and being niche because something like P4U didn't sell nearly as much as a mainstream IP should sell. Yet the RPG has shown to grow graduly over the years to something insane...

kooplar

What about a new "lottery system " you randomly get 2 games per console, could be trash, or maybe it could be an uncharted 4 pre-order.

This is either the best or worst idea I've had in my life, probably worst.

JNA

Banned
I guess but to get something trending on Twitter it isn't as hard as you think. Dunno it borders on not being niche and being niche because something like P4U didn't sell nearly as much as a mainstream IP should sell. Yet the RPG has shown to grow graduly over the years to something insane...

P4U is not something to gauge interest on considering its a lower budget, spin off title.

Persona 4 Golden, despite being a Vita exclusive, sold extremely well.

That and the views/likes here if nothing else counts for something:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

Considering how popular it has gotten in Japan and how much bigger it has got in the West, I think it's more than fair to say it's not in the least bit niche. Triple A status? That might be pushing it but if Sony pushes this game like WWE with Roman Reigns (except we will actually like the push), than it can be.

Sevyne

What about a new "lottery system " you randomly get 2 games per console, could be trash, or maybe it could be an uncharted 4 pre-order.

Not possible. They have to work out deals with 3rd parties to even post these games for Plus. Only way they could do what you propose is if it was 1st party only stuff.

Would be horrible regardless though.

Flandy

10/10 idea. You get to chose from one following as your reward

-Unjuniored early
-Marches PS+ games
-Access to The Last Guardian

chose wisely

Fbh

With my luck I'd probably get Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark and Angry Birds Starwars....every month

Dugna

P4U is not something to gauge interest on considering its a lower budget, spin off title.

Persona 4 Golden, despite being a Vita exclusive, sold extremely well.

That and the views/likes here if nothing else counts for something:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

Considering how popular it has gotten in Japan and how much bigger it has got in the West, I think it's more than fair to say it's not in the least bit niche. Triple A status? That might be pushing it but if Sony pushes this game like WWE with Roman Reigns (except we will actually like the push), than it can be.

Ehh...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423904 is the thread that shows the sales numbers of something Dissdia vs http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887873 which shows the sales numbers of P4U both spinoff fighting games. It just shows that Persona while it has a growining fanbase and Persona 4 sold pretty damn well, it grew because word of mouth and not because it was mainstream and so Persona 5 will probably be the moment when we know.

Anyway this is really offtopic sorry bout that.

You're creating a causation that you can't prove. There's no way to say that indie games sell less because they have a niche appeal or if they sell less because of other factors. I certainly think that if Don't Starve had been blessed with a multi-million dollar marketing budget, it would have done even better for itself. It already did incredible sales without that budget.

But whatever. We'll ignore that. So, what sales target does a game need to meet to no longer be niche to you? Do you have more arbitrary delineations that you've crafted?

I don't think it's a leap AT ALL to conclude much weaker sales are largely caused by lack of mass appeal. Of course marketing helps, but most indie games are fundamentally different than what is popular and different than what sells big in today's industry. Look at the popular games of our time and then look at indie games. See a difference? So do publishers...who aren't investing big money into those types of games because...well, they don't have huge market appeal in a lot of cases. But whatever, there's no point in arguing.

I'd say a game should definitely clear 1 million (without the help of PS+) to be considered something other than niche. But again, keep in mind that the style of a game contributes as well. Retro graphics which are featured in a lot of indie games are niche - they are counter to what is popular and do not appeal to a particularly large segment of the market.

Again with the disclaimer that being niche and different isn't bad at all. In fact, it can be very refreshing. It just appeals to a smaller segment of the market, and leads to lots of people wanting AAA games on PS+. There's a higher chance the mass market will like at least 5 out of 10 provided AAA games than 5 out of 10 provided indie games.

JobenNC

10/10 idea. You get to chose from one following as your reward

-Unjuniored early
-Marches PS+ games
-Access to The Last Guardian

chose wisely

My unjunioring is dead. The official statements otherwise are there to placate the fans until the hype dies down. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. I'll take my access to The Last Guardian, please.

I don't think Persona is niche series anymore. It's a pretty well established JRPG at this point.

Anyways, a million sales is a decent target. I think at that point you can fairly say that it is no longer niche. Although I wouldn't call a game that hits 1 million a mass-market, mainstream title either. More similar to the mid-range (AA) titles of old. Persona fits in that category pretty nicely too.

Terraria: 3 million+
Trine 2: Can't find an exact number for the game but 7 million+ for the series
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: BoI itself sold 2 million+
Don't Starve: 1 million+
Thomas Was Alone: 1 million+
Limbo: 1 million+
Fez: 1 million+
Dust: An Elysian Tail: 1 million+

Not There Yet
Lone Survivor: 800,000+ as of September 2013, could have passed 1 million by now
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: 800,000 (close)
Transistor: 600,000 in 9 months (Jan. 2015)

I'd say a game should definitely clear 1 million (without the help of PS+) to be considered something other than niche. But again, keep in mind that the style of a game contributes as well. Retro graphics which are featured in a lot of indie games are niche - they are counter to what is popular and do not appeal to a particularly large segment of the market.
This sounds silly. Retro" graphics aren't popular with segments like dudebro console causals who want 1080p shooters sure. But they're massively popular on PC. Retro graphics aren't the turnoff that you make them out to be. You're creating this picture that either a game is niche or that it's an AAA mainstream title. That ignores the middle of the system. There's niche games, midrange (AA) games and mainstream AAA titles. Yeah some indies are niche. But many have quietly and comfortably fit into something akin to the AA space of the PS2/GC/Xbox era.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I tried Transistor. Lovely art and style, but it's RTWP combat. My heart is crushed. I tried giving it a chance anyway but I'm bored already. Sigh. :(

Apotheon's next...

KyleCross

Let's have some fun here.

Take a shot every time you see this thread on the front page but the March lineup still isn't announced.

You are responsible for your own actions and I am at no legal liability if you die.

My guess is that games are so bad for this month that Sony is going to announce them the day of so GAF won't bad mouth it.

I think people are reading in to this way too much really. They didn't mess anything up, the games aren't particularly bad, they just took longer than usual to announce the games. It's Sony being Sony.

Top Bottom