• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Doubt I'll play anything from this month.

Guacamelee is great, but I played that game when they gave it away on PS+ before, I doubt the Super Turbo edition has that much new content.

Plus games are simply awful as of now. It's been nothing but shitty sidescrollers or buggy indie games since the last few months. I'm gonna forget about Plus for a while and see how it fares in 5-6 months or so.

TalonJH

Is that a seven on the traditional 1-10 scale, or gaming's 5-10 scale?

7 on the scale of 4-5 being "blah" or missable but not a travesty and 1-3 being games you probably should actively avoid. 6-7 being fun but not must haves and games to play when better games aren't out. Functional with missed potential (something feels off). 8-10 Really enjoyable polished games that do what they set out to do well enough or better.

Or scaled as below

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600) 1/10
Superman (Nintendo 64) 2/10
Bubsy 3D: Furbitten Planet (PlayStation) 2/10
Charlie's Angels (GameCube) 3/10
Mortal Kombat: Special Forces (PlayStation) 3/10
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox 360) 4/10
Defiance: The Game 4.5/10
The Crew 5/10
Nosgoth 5/10
Assassin's Creed Unity 5/10
Code Name S.T.E.A.M 6/10
Ryse 6.5/10 (nearly a 7)
The Order: 1886 6.5/10 (nearly a 7)
Knack 7/10
Infamous: SS 7/10

Getting to play through Guacamelee will be fun again on PS4 and getting another Platinum for it. Been wanting to play The Unfinished Swan since it was announced so great month for me!

BadWolf

Yeah my sub expires in July iirc and I have a year stashed from one of the black friday sales from way back, might save if for after I get a PS4 or something.

VLiberty

Games can't appear twice on the same platform. But nothing prevents another version to be put on PS+; it's already happened with Oddworld Stranger's Wrath.

Good month nonetheless

Alpende

Wasn't Guacamelee normal edition already on plus? That's kind of annoying ...

Sadly another month with a weak lineup (especially since we got Guacamelee before already).

The normal one was on PS+ for Vita.

Not sure what to make of this month. I already played Guacamelee on Vita so I have no real desire to play it again, even though it has DLC. Hohokum and Unfinished Swan might be cool.

Darksheik

Not sure how I feel about this month's content.
It is not bad, especially due to the fact that almost every game can be played on Ps4, but I was possibily expecting something different at this point.
Oh well, will check these games out in 7 days from now.

dorikyasu

Already bought Guacamelee & Unfinished Swan during last sale.
Still excited to try out the others though. Too bad Murasaki Baby is not PSTV compatible.

Hasney

Yes! Race The Sun is incredible. Might actually finish Guac on PS4, I have a hard time finishing platformers on the Vita for some reason. Pretty happy, although I did genuinely want Knack back in my life.

TalonJH

This is honestly the first month that I'm a bit disappointed. There are some good games on there though. Idk, I don't want to be a complainer. As someone that Guacamelee(I don't know how I spelled that correctly without thinking about it) and Unfinished Swan are great gets for people that haven't played them. I've heard good things about Race the Sun, Hohokum & Murasaki Baby but haven't played them

Not sure how I feel about this month's content.
It is not bad, especially due to the fact that almost every game can be played on Ps4, but I was possibily expecting something different at this point.
Oh well, will check these games out in 7 days from now.

I think this is what I'm thinking. I look at the list and see some great games but I feel like they need a change.

Herc_is_Disappointed.gif

I don't own any of the games and I wanted to play all of them. So that's cool. A bit disappointed in no big retail game. I was hoping for something real meaty to sink my teeth into. Oh well. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like a pretty good month. Never played any of those games, so more games for my vita is never a bad thing. Guacamelee looks super good and I only heard interesting things from GB about Hohokum. I've also heard good things about Murasaki Baby and Unifinished Swan as well.

Between the 4 I'll probably check out Hohokum and Murasaki first.

Joni

I own the old Guacamelee but I wanted to see Super Turbo Championship Edition. Own The Unfinished Swan, but I own it on another account so can't play it on Vita. Some other games I considered getting, so in the end, another money-saver and time-waster month.

Yogg

I'll probably play three games from those (Guacamelee, Ether One, and Hohokum) , so it's not too bad of a month. I would have enjoyed a title that stands out more, but this is still fine I guess.

Boss Mog

This is some serious bullshit; not even a retail game on PS3 or Vita. I know a lot of people on GAF love indie games but to me 95% of them are just pure trash. If I wanted simplistic graphics and gameplay I would just go back and play my SNES/Genesis games because they were much better than today's indie games for the most part.

Elandyll

Banned
Kinda disappointed not in the quantity (5 games on PS4) or quality, but on the general scope of the games presented this month.

Nothing really "meaty" this time around I'm afraid.

I already have Hohokum (it's been on sale many times) which is great, and Gacamelee was already on Plus before in a different version.

Looking forward to Ether One and Unfinished Swan though (never played it, even on PS3).

PS: Where the heck is Chasm PS4? The game was relatively heavily featured by Sony in 2014 (and was part of the standard demo setup in stores around the Holidays)

Boss★Moogle;162071227 said:
This is some serious bullshit; not even a retail game on PS3 or Vita. I know a lot of people on GAF love indie games but to me 95% of them are just pure trash. If I wanted simplistic graphics and gameplay I would just go back and play my SNES/Genesis games because they were much better than today's indie games for the most part.

Its not really about loving indie games or not. I just like good video games, regardless of whether or not they're 2D or 3D or how many people worked on it.

Personally, I'm essentially done with PS3 games anyway since I have a 2008 PS3 and less than 1GB to download anything.

VLiberty

Boss★Moogle;162071227 said:

You had one hell of a SNES if it managed to run any of this month's games.

Its not really about loving indie games or not. I just like good video games, regardless of whether or not they're 2D or 3D or how many people worked on it.

Personally, I'm essentially done with PS3 games anyway since I have a 2008 PS3 and less than 1GB to download anything.

And of course this.

Stop with this indie/retail dichotomy crap.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm pretty sure you don't get to say how I should be formulating my critique.

Also, stop being a hypocrite in every other one of your posts in this thread.
Saying everything is a shitty sidescroller is like going in to a GTA thread and saying the radio selection is shit because everything is rap. There's no opinion about this. It's wrong.

Either One looks somewhat solid and I'd thankfully take Murasaki Baby if I owned a Vita. But Guacamelee is somewhat of an effrontery as it was included as a PS3 title some while back.

It's indie heaven in May.

It looks like Sony basically said "oh look witcher hits this month" so they scrambled to grab whatever indie games and throw them out there.

Exciting for people who don't own the games or if indie games are their thing.

Not exciting if you own them or don't care for indie games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I do have to say that the excuse that Sony cant give away retail games on PS4 because they're too new is bullshit though. There are good retail games that came out over a year ago they could give away. I'm happy with good games whether they're indie or AAA, but it definitely is true that there's nothing stopping them putting the higher quality early AAA titles on the service at this point. It likely is that Sony doesn't need the service to seem that attractive anymore due to the online paywall, and indies are cheaper to put on there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I do have to say that the excuse that Sony cant give away retail games on PS4 because they're too new is bullshit though. There are good retail games that came out over a year ago they could give away. I'm happy with good games whether they're indie or AAA, but it definitely is true that there's nothing stopping them putting the higher quality early AAA titls on he service at this point. It likely is that Sony doesn't need the service to seem that attractive anymore due to ge online paywall, and indies are cheaper to put on there.

Yeah, there's plenty of sub $20 retail games they could put on there.

If you're a PC gamer, PS+'s value has decreased alot compared to PS3 days.

Portugeezer

I do have to say that the excuse that Sony cant give away retail games on PS4 because they're too new is bullshit though. There are good retail games that came out over a year ago they could give away. I'm happy with good games whether they're indie or AAA, but it definitely is true that there's nothing stopping them putting the higher quality early AAA titles on the service at this point. It likely is that Sony doesn't need the service to seem that attractive anymore due to the online paywall, and indies are cheaper to put on there.

True, and it was expected. I thought maybe no AAA because there aren't that many, so they save them for later, but it has been 18 months of the same thing. I don't want AAA games just for the sake of it, but there are some good ones worth playing. We'll get standalone DLC like Infamous First Light before full games; expect the Wolfenstein standalone DLC on PS+ before Wolfenstein TNO.

Judging from some PS4 surveys I done, the AAA games will be given as pre-order incentives rather than on PS+ (pre-order XYZ on PSN and get Killzone Shadow Fall free, day one DLC, 5% discount, etc)

In a way I like that Sony are sticking to their guns. PlayStation Plus isn't about giving people the games they want, because if they want them they can buy them.

It's about giving people the games they don't think they want, and maybe surprising people with a hidden gem that without Plus they'd have never experienced. It's a much better use of the service than giving away the same FPS in a different skin every month.

Saying that, though, by that definition Knack would be almost perfect.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
In a way I like that Sony are sticking to their guns. PlayStation Plus isn't about giving people the games they want, because if they want them they can buy them.

It's about giving people the games they don't think they want, and maybe surprising people with a hidden gem that without Plus they'd have never experienced. It's a much better use of the service than giving away the same FPS in a different skin every month.

Saying that, though, by that definition Knack would be almost perfect.
As long as they don't stick to their Tower of Guns I'm cool.

It has been one year (twelve months of content updates) since Sony introduced the two games for each platform. So I thought it would be interesting to make an overview. Let me know if you spot a mistake

BWACh60.png

Notes
- The price of Ether One is still provisionary, and will be updated/confirmed once the game releases. Currently Steam's price is used.
- The platform totals include all games for each platform (the monthly 2 games + Cross-Buy versions). That’s why the sum of the platform totals is higher than the total value.
- American PS+ subscribers received 2 more PS3 (retail)games: Sly Cooper - Thieves in Time (June 2014) and Dragon’s Crown (August 2014). Sly Cooper was offered to European subscribers in April 2014 and is therefore not listed on this image. Only the Vita version of Dragon’s Crown was part of the European PS+.
- Dragon’s Crown isn’t a Cross-Buy game, but both the PS3 and PS Vita version were offered to American PS+ subscribers. Therefore the monthly dollar total for August includes the prices of both versions (PS3: $49.99/PS Vita: $39.99).
- Rainbow Moon isn’t a Cross-Buy game, but the Cross-Save bundle, which includes both the PS3 and PS Vita version of the game, was offered to PS+ subscribers. Therefore the monthly total for October includes the bundle’s price ($22.49/€19.99/£15.99). The PS3’s and PS Vita’s platform total includes the game’s regular price (each $14.99/€12.99/£9.99).
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth isn’t a Cross-Buy game, but both the PS4 and PS Vita version were offered to PS+ subscribers. Therefore the monthly total for November includes the prices of both versions (each $14.99/€14.99/£11.99).
- Spelunky released with PS+ on PS4, therefore it’s counted as a new release. The PS3 and PS Vita version were already available and aren’t counted as new releases.
- InFamous: First Light is only available as a retail title in Europe, so technically American PS+ subscribers only received 1 PS4 retail title.
- German subscribers received Gravity Crash Ultra (PS Vita, €6.99) instead of Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition (PS3/PS Vita, €9.99).
- With Woah Dave!’s PS4 release in April, the game was offered again to PS+ subscribers. The game’s price is only included in January’s total.
- [minis] Mighty Flip Champs! DX (PS3/PSP/PS Vita, $5.99) was offered as an extra to American PS+ members. It’s not included in the image overview.
- The PS3 and PS Vita (still in development) version of Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee - New ‘n’ Tasty are counted as new releases.
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee – New ‘n’ Tasty launched in Europe originally at €20.99/£17.99 (Store update blog post). With the PS3 version’s release the price was changed to €19.99/£14.99. The original price is used in the calculations.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It has been one year (twelve months of content updates) since Sony introduced the two games for each platform. So I thought it would be interesting to make an overview. Let me know if you spot a mistake

PS3 is still continuing to pump out some fantastic games...damn.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Lowest sale price would be an interesting stat, but I don't think there's a site to lists them (like http://isthereanydeal.com on PC).

If you're paying full price for a digital game, you're a dumb dumb.

MarionCB

What really devalues PS+ is being in the habit of buying games yourself. Disappointing month for me since I own half of them already.

dorikyasu

Great job, A-Dark-Injection! I'm going to use this as a visual checklist of PS+ games I need to go back and play.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, there's plenty of sub $20 retail games they could put on there.

If you're a PC gamer, PS+'s value has decreased alot compared to PS3 days.

What are these sub $20 games that Sony can just snap their fingers and put on Plus?

What people don't understand is because the PS4's library is still small, publishers are less eager to put their AAA games on the service. It's one thing to offer your year-old game on the service when you have dozens of others out in the marketplace. It's another when you only have a handful.

Top Bottom