• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

illusionary

The lack of any big name retail releases is a bit of a surprise, but not in itself a bad thing. All in all, this is quite a nice selection. :)

Ether One - not a game that I've followed to any significant extent up until now, but after reasing up on it now I'm looking forward to this
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - a superb game, but a little disappointing to see included given that it's a re-release of a previous PS+ game (plus I already own it outright); I doubt that I'll revisit it, even with the DLC.
The Unfinished Swan - a very interesting little game, though in my case I've already bought and completed it.
Race the Sun - I've heard good things about it, but can't see myself wanting to send a lengthy time with it.
Murasaki Baby - very nice
Hohokum - interesting... I'd never have convinced myself to buy it, but the coverage at launch was intruiging and I'll certainly give this a shot where there's no additional cost!

It's things like this that make no sense to a lot of users here. Indie games are not a genre.

Indie games tend to be (but not always):

- low budget games created by a small team
- only available via DD unless they become wildly popular, which is rare
- 2D/retro inspired or hyper stylized instead of photorealistic
- platformers or puzzle games, although every genre is represented to some extent

This is a very loose definition FOR ME which a lot of these games can fall into, but obviously not all of them. Sorry that I'm not into this style although I have given many such as Limbo, Braid, Fez, Valiant Hearts, Never Alone, Splosion Man, etc a try. I'm going to download all of the offerings but I highly doubt that I'll end up liking any of them based on past results.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Disappointing month for me, not because of indies (loved Dust, enjoyed Apotheon despite the crashes, Valiant Hearts was great -though not a real "indie" I know -- and pretty much all my most anticipated PS4 titles are indies), but because I don't care for those particular games. The only one that appeals to me gameplay-wise is Guacamelee, and my boyfriend has it for PC (though it's not the Super Turbo blah blah version I guess) and I can't stand the art style anyway.

Oh well, some months are great, others are less so. Not a big issue for me.

The only game on the list that I've played (and beaten) is Guacamelee which was pretty good.

The other titles look interesting, but I don't know if any of them are really for me. I'm not big into first-person exploration, or odd titles like Hohokum, but I want to get more use out of my Vita so I'll probably give most a chance.

Disappointing month overall on my end.

Chopper

I already own half of this month's offerings. Lame. Great line-up though.

I've so nearly bought Murasaki Baby so many times, so I'm happy about that.

Getting Quacamelee finally. Hadn't heard of Ether One until today so I just watched some gameplay footage on youtube of it. It actually looks pretty interesting so I'm going to give it shot.

I'm also planning to get the Unfinished Swan for my kids as that looks like something they would enjoy.

Hard to complain about these offerings unless you've already played them.

daxy

I wish Super Turbo Championship Edition would come to Vita. Would rebuy and replay it in a heartbeat. Such an awesome game.

Just realized that I haven't played the grand majority of the last several months' games. I mainly keep Plus around for access to my cloudsaves nowadays.

Chopper

For those of you who haven't played Unfinished Swan, you are in for a treat. I fucking love that game. 100%ed the shit out of it.

Not a bad lineup... at least compared to last month! At least there is variety and a sense of surprise. Some of those games might be good?

Except Race the Sun...you'll play that for like 20 seconds, think "huh, ok" and then delete it.

MUnited83

For you.
Boss★Moogle;162071227 said:
This is some serious bullshit; not even a retail game on PS3 or Vita. I know a lot of people on GAF love indie games but to me 95% of them are just pure trash. If I wanted simplistic graphics and gameplay I would just go back and play my SNES/Genesis games because they were much better than today's indie games for the most part.

These post will never get old. How can someone be this willfully dumb and ignorant I don't know.

R1CHO

Towers of Guns is crap, and the ps4 version double the crap, frame rate problems, bugs, crashes... All that for a terrible game.

The worst by far of last month, even if the other two are not great games.

It was pretty bland and boring yes

The controls killed the game for me :( I just couldn't find the motivation to test it more because of this.

Depends. It is pretty good compared to Knack, great compared to Never Alone and pretty boring when compared to Assassins Creed 3.

Towers of Guns is crap, and the ps4 version double the crap, frame rate problems, bugs, crashes... All that for a terrible game.

The worst by far of last month, even if the other two are not great games.

It didn't look very good to me, but I didn't want to badmouth it because I've spoken to the developer and he's a nice guy. I like supporting good people.

I've yet to play it because I know it won't be my type of game, but I was given a code for another version.

Gurish

Guys, next month is E3 month, it's a Sony tradition to give something "big" every E3 (since that was the place when they announced the modern PS+ with the big AAA titles), do you think we will get a big AAA game for PS4 next month? cause if it's not happening in E3 i don't see it happen at all for the foreseeable future.

Guys, next month is E3 month, it's a Sony tradition to give something "big" every E3 (since that was the place when they announced the modern PS+ with the big AAA titles), do you think we will get a big AAA game for PS4 next month? cause if it's not happening in E3 i don't see it happen at all for the foreseeable future.

You mean next month or announced for July? Maybe Driveclub if they can bear to speak its name this year. (was not present at last year's conf.)

Already played Guacamelee and Hohokum, and don't really care for the rest. Might give Unfinished Swan a shot but eh.

Anyone that hasn't played Guacamelee and Hohokum before are in for a treat though, both are in-fucking-credible games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I fully expect them to announce Driveclub will be going free.

It has been one year (twelve months of content updates) since Sony introduced the two games for each platform. So I thought it would be interesting to make an overview. Let me know if you spot a mistake

Ugh, looking at your chart reminds me that I have a few months of nothing next year when they recycle this years Spring Fever titles. Curse my consumer whore ness.

Gurish

Already played Guacamelee and Hohokum, and don't really care for the rest. Might give Unfinished Swan a shot but eh.

Anyone that hasn't played Guacamelee and Hohokum before are in for a treat though, both are in-fucking-credible games.

I fully expect them to announce Driveclub will be going free.
I can't see them bragging about DC, it's a game we were supposed to get a PS+ version ages ago, giving it now at the biggest gaming event will only emphasis that debacle.

Ugh, looking at your chart reminds me that I have a few months of nothing next year when they recycle this years Spring Fever titles. Curse my consumer whore ness.

Yeah, I bought Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight fully expecting them to be free in a year. (Axiom Verge maybe not though according to the Dev)

Glad I bought em. Great games.

Was Tower of Guns really that bad?

Get Ziggurat. It is pretty good and much better than Tower of Guns which seems unfinished.

Race the Sun is really awesome. I played a lot of it last year.

Love indie games. Not a fan of abstract arty games like The Unfinished Swan & Hohokum. You can call me dumb, uncultured, and "I just don't get it" but I think these games are real boring.

It would be in Sony's best interest to put more variety into PS+. I think some very Japanese games, PS1 classics, sports games, and some more mainstream action games (which is usually there) would make more PS+ attractive to a wider group of people.

t0rment

tower of guns is awful. i really regret the bandwidth and the time i spent playing on it. i don't think that even with people paying me i'd play that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh, looking at your chart reminds me that I have a few months of nothing next year when they recycle this years Spring Fever titles. Curse my willingness to actively support games that interest me and the developers/publishers that made them.
Fixed for accuracy.

Get Ziggurat. It is pretty good and much better than Tower of Guns which seems unfinished.

Race the Sun is really awesome. I played a lot of it last year.

Love indie games. Not a fan of abstract arty games like The Unfinished Swan & Hohokum. You can call me dumb, uncultured, and "I just don't get it" but I think these games are real boring.

It would be in Sony's best interest to put more variety into PS+. I think some very Japanese games, PS1 classics, sports games, and some more mainstream action games (which is usually there) would make more PS+ attractive to a wider group of people.

I find it hard to play games if there's no progression, and if things are abstract. I want to feel engaged and like I'm beating something/doing something.

I'm also not into puzzles

It didn't look very good to me, but I didn't want to badmouth it because I've spoken to the developer and he's a nice guy. I like supporting good people.

I've yet to play it because I know it won't be my type of game, but I was given a code for another version.

Being an indie dev I can see this perspective. I'm an honest gamer too though. I didn't like Tower of Guns, but I think it's ok to say that and still maintain a good personal relationship with the person who made it. So long as you're not offensive and personally attacking the developer, I think most indie devs (and devs in general) are modest enough to accept the criticism. I have friends that don't like my games, I appreciate the honesty.

I'll also say from experience there's not much bad you can say about our games we don't already know. We are always our worst critics.

Zomba13

I'm ok with that list. Not a fan of Guacamelee being the again though. Great game (minus the stupid meme humour) but we've already had it before and this is just the slightly bigger version. It'd be like getting MK9 and then later on the MK9 Komplete edition. Just seems kinda shitty.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Own Guacamelee from one of those mega sales awhile back... and it was basically on Plus already once..

the rest I could give 2 shits about.. so little in fact I probably won't even bother to add to my download list. I mean, honestly there's just not a lot out there at this point to put up.. but this is 2 terrible months in a row.

I know people people had the whole "everything indie" thing.. but lately it seems the worst kind of indie is what's always landing on plus.. all style over substance indie.

Guacamelee is a good game.. no doubt.. but double dipped plus as your best offering is bush.

WoodWERD

Count me among the few that had fun with Tower of Guns. Sure, it's a mess, but it strikes a certain chord with me. Or maybe I like it because it's just mindless relief from my sessions of Olli Olli 2.

I've got Guac (think I grabbed it on a recent sale), but the rest look interesting enough for me. Not sure what to think about Ether after watching the blog vid. I see myself playing these more than the April games.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This coming month is going to be terrible! I spent $3.25 on a month of the service and I'm only getting licenses for four games I don't own yet. WTF? Sure, I might play them and enjoy them, but does anyone really think that's a fair exchange?

Omerta

I've said this in another thread but this is my kind of month. I really like unique experiences that pretend to be games... There's plenty of conventional games available :)

The problem is, I own and love most of these. The only ones that add to my collection are Murasaki Baby (which I've wanted to buy for ages but haven't, for some reason... Cool) and Ether One (which I knew nothing about but after watching a quick YouTube video - cokour me interested).

To the people who get upset because this (or any other) month's games don't suit your, personal tastes... Seriously grow up. This service isn't for *you*... It's for everyone.

If Indie game offerings really annoy you as much as they seem to annoy so many posters here, I'd seriously cancel your subscription because reading the industry's tea leaves, this is where we're headed.

None of the games this month (or last month for that matter) really appeal to me. I'm hoping they start offering some AAA games soon. 1 AAA, 1 indie per month would be ideal. This year I've enjoyed Infamous: First Light, Counterspy, and Valiant Hearts so far. None of the others have done anything for me.

Bishop89

Really horrible month, only decent game is guacamelee, and I already have that. I guess it's kind of expected as they are probably holding the big guns for next month / e3

Top Bottom