• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

That adds up seeing as I'm in the UK. Seems odd that they have a working patch but stager it's distribution across different territories?

That's s Sony problem, since SCEA and SCEE require separate submission and certification (and a patch that is accepted in one region can be rejected in the other). There was a patch for BoI that Europe never got at all so the game was broken for 3+ months

Ferr986

I'm still hooked to Bloodborne so not much time to try the free games.
I ended up trying Hohokum and...

i_have_no_idea_what_i_m_doing.jpg

It was so fucking weird that ended up being cool. Feels like a game to play 30 mins before going to sleep after a hard session of Bloodborne lol

Auctopus

Some thoughts on Unfinished Swan upon completion...

The level design early on is very unique and the way the environment is slowly revealed to you is great. Looking back on the paint splatters that make out the architecture really gives you a sense of progress after the aimless firing of paintballs. The sense of verticality in the city also gives this sense as you look down on the vines and buildings which you've passed below. However, the city is about where the repetitiveness set in for me, my trigger finger was a little tired and some sections went on a little longer than they should have, especially the vines.

Luckily, the game speeds up after that and we finish with the two best sections in the game.

Blueprint
- Absolutely inspired mechanic, really enjoyed the freedom this gave in the level design and its implemented in to the story very smoothly.

The Ending -
Really great ending with music that before in the game had been a little intrusive but now soundtracks the crescendo of the King's narration. Said narration also ties the game up in a nice bow, explaining the motives of the king before giving you that enormous overview of the world. The context in the game comes way too late though and I feel like the mother/wife was cast off as a minor character with unknown motives right at the end.

Anyway, good game overall. Nice length and pretty unique.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm really digging Ether One. Really clever design. The game doesn't fuck around. Doesn't hold your hand in the slightest. Want a hint? FUCK YOU FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN, DUMBASS! But man when that solution finally hits you it feels soooo good.

I'm really digging Ether One. Really clever design. The game doesn't fuck around. Doesn't hold your hand in the slightest. Want a hint? FUCK YOU FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN, DUMBASS! But man when that solution finally hits you it feels soooo good.

I was enjoying it as well, until 50 items I had stored vanished from the shelves in The Case and didn't respawn in the world they were taken from. Hopefully the patch takes care of that issue.

pixelation

Waow, Murasaki Baby is a great game !!

of course really short ( really, really really ) but waow, i enjoyed it.

Maybe the devs are making a bigger game for PS4 ? can be interesting

How short?, i'm enjoying it myself as well, that art style is gorgeous. I really help that the Ovosonico guys are working on a bigger project for the PS4.

I haven't even got the patch for Ether One yet, how do you actually get the PS4 to download that when it doesn't do it automatically or when you boot the game?

I haven't even got the patch for Ether One yet, how do you actually get the PS4 to download that when it doesn't do it automatically or when you boot the game?

Instead of launching with X, press the Options button and Check for Update. The patch is out in Europe but not N. America yet.

SxP

How short?, i'm enjoying it myself as well, that art style is gorgeous. I really help that the Ovosonico guys are working on a bigger project for the PS4.

Murasaki Baby is about two hours. A little longer if you have trouble with some sections (which might very well be the case later on).

Finished Hohokum, 6 hours for everything except some trophies I'll go back to (hidden trophies are stupid and the "hidden" status honestly should be optional). One of them requires a 1 hour speedrun which is going to be interesting.

In the end I got major Katamari Damacy vibes from the game. Very strong art and music, simple gameplay that it uses in various way to create puzzles, and a family of "characters" that you can unlock that each has a certain "personality". Great game.

Chopper

Just finished Murasaki Baby. What an awesome little game. Some of the mechanics introduced later in the game work very nicely, and really test your finger dexterity. In a good way.

Two trophies didn't pop, which is a pain, so I'm gonna go ahead and play through it again right now!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm still enjoying Ether One, but certain lack of features is starting to bug me. This game was absolutely begging for a map and a note system. The areas in the game can be really large and look really samey as well. It's so easy to get lost and I just feel some of the clutter of going back and forth could have been aleviated with a simple map screen. I'm not saying the game needed to tell you where to go or anything, but as you visit each room the map should be revealed so you can then just pause, look at it and make things easier to see the layout of the level you've already explored. Nothing is worse than "I need to go back to that part of the level. Where the hell was that again?"

And jesus this game needed a note system. The puzzles get quite complicated and have a big back and forth thing going on. I think in a game like this a good note feature is a necessity. Makes things more annoying than they need to be. Let me make a note of that code which I don't know what it's used for yet. You can't even sticky notes you find in the world. So many times you see notes in the world which, by themselves, don't mean much to you. But you find they're key to the puzzles later on. Just being able to pause and see which notes you've read would make everything so much more convenient and eliminate some of the back and forth clutter.

Ok now I'm just plain not liking the game. The puzzles have become FAR too obtuse. Combine that with the huge levels with confusing layouts and constant back and forth, no map, no note system, and it all just adds up to an annoying experience. The fact that looking up the solutions makes me more disappointed in the game design and not myself is telling. Pinwheel harbour was generally reasonable, but this industrial level is bullshit of the highest order. No wonder the puzzles are skippable.

DansDans

How many people who are experiencing problems with ether one are genuinely trying to break the game?

Nope, just genuinely trying to PLAY the game

Ive had it crash back to home screen twice - both times in the same spot after you input the correct item on the order paper and then the letter pops itself into the envelop. The envelop then begins to float in the air like an item would that youre about to pick up, and then the game crashes

Twice so far, frustrating (I was playing remote RP thru Vita TV - doubt this should make a difference)

Also, any way to brighten the game... so dark...

Kunan

I love Ether One but there are a few issues bothering me:
- Every time I do the first part of the pub projector, the game crashes (edit: for the same reason as DansDans above; finishing typing something)
- The ingame keyboard has no visual feedback of the selected key on my ps4. I have to move around and press X, then delete what i typed, to navigate it.
- Every time you pause, all music and audio stops when you return like you just loaded the area
- The random sound spazzes to the right of me that sound like other peoples' foot steps. This one's just kinda creepy and makes the game feel weird instead of calming.
- I'm still at 0/20 projectors, and the original one from the mine is not in my list in the case (2 from the harbor are). Not sure if this is a bug or not.

The first one is a dealbreaker until it's fixed. I sent a video bug report. Hopefully it's fixed soon because I honestly really enjoy this game!

Ok now I'm just plain not liking the game. The puzzles have become FAR too obtuse. Combine that with the huge levels with confusing layouts and constant back and forth, no map, no note system, and it all just adds up to an annoying experience. The fact that looking up the solutions makes me more disappointed in the game design and not myself is telling. Pinwheel harbour was generally reasonable, but this industrial level is bullshit of the highest order. No wonder the puzzles are skippable.
Even though it would be a bit cheap, I wish there was a babby mode where L1 highlighted all interactable items on-screen instead of just those in front of your cursor. Or atleast make it highlight a circular range in the center of the screen. Half of the obtuse feeling of the game is not even noticing that, say, the bottom half of an ale poster is clickable for editing. I know they want you to explore, but I've been running around the harbor for forever clicking on shit and I never noticed until now.

First time playing Guacamelee! What an awesome game. Love the art style and music...such a cool Mexican ambiance. The combat is very satisfying; there's depth to the moves and it's all very smooth and visceral. The platforming is very solid too and actually a little challenging at times. Fantastic environmental variety too. 2.5 hours in so far. Too bad the game is apparently only 5-7 hours long. Would love 15 hours of this game. Also disappointed to see that Drinkbox's next game is launching as a Vita exclusive this summer! PS4 could've used a great summer game.

BadHand

I am gonna pick up either grim fandango or broken age, both of which are on sale for PS members. Played neither before.

I'm drifting towards grim fandango but I have a lingering feeling it'll hit PS+ soon.

What should I do?

cjp

Played Murasaki Baby for about 2 hours and realised a single trophy didn't unlock. Also had annoying error pop ups every couple of minutes about it not being able to save.

Googled it and seems pretty common. Dev Twitter feed says it out of their hands and Sony will have to fix it.

The fuck happened to your quality assurance control Sony?

I am gonna pick up either grim fandango or broken age, both of which are on sale for PS members. Played neither before.

I'm drifting towards grim fandango but I have a lingering feeling it'll hit PS+ soon.

What should I do?

Grim Fandango is longer, and cheaper. And overall it is maybe better, it has very epic feel and lots of different locales and characters. I don't think it will hit PS+, it's not exactly kind of game we usually see there. Broken Age is also excellent, but shorter and the first half is a bit too easy.

BadHand

Grim Fandango is longer, and cheaper. And overall it is maybe btter, it has very epic feel and lots of different locales and characters. I don't think it will hit PS+, it's not exactly kind of game we usually see there.

Thanks, i'll grab it then.

- I'm still at 0/20 projectors, and the original one from the mine is not in my list in the case (2 from the harbor are). Not sure if this is a bug or not.

I have this issue too, its a bug because immediatly after doing the first projector i went up to 1/20 on the board. When I reloaded my game it went back to 0/20.

I hope it won't affect trophies.

I've been having a ton of unexpected fun with race the sun with my friends. Didn't think I'd really enjoy any of these games, but I'm glad to be wrong.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone played the Sherlock Holmes game they gave for PS+ a while back? I'm lttp but I started it yesterday.

It's fun but man I've never seen a game so poorly optimized. It runs like complete crap. :( I understand it's a small and likely low-budget Ukrainian dev but the screen tearing is massive, framerate is sub-30 at all times and there are long loading times everywhere. Good thing I'm usually fairly tolerant of technical issues, because I can imagine the more sensitive gaffers giving up real quick.

The cases are fun though. I don't normally play adventure games so it's fairly novel for me. I imagine p-a-c adventure game veterans might find it too simple or streamlined, perhaps.

Anyone played the Sherlock Holmes game they gave for PS+ a while back? I'm lttp but I started it yesterday.

It's fun but man I've never seen a game so poorly optimized. It runs like complete crap. :( I understand it's a small and likely low-budget Ukrainian dev but the screen tearing is massive, framerate is sub-30 at all times and there are long loading times everywhere. Good thing I'm usually fairly tolerant of technical issues, because I can imagine the more sensitive gaffers giving up real quick.

The cases are fun though. I don't normally play adventure games so it's fairly novel for me. I imagine p-a-c adventure game veterans might find it too simple or streamlined, perhaps.

I bought the PS4 version at full price (almost) together with my PS4, and was relatively happy with it. The graphics were good, and the frame rate good enough for an adventure game, although I seem to remember one area being a bit sluggish. The load times were pretty damn long though, luckily you could examine your notes while the level was loading. It was simple and streamlined of course, but not too simple to be boring. I quite liked connecting the clues, and making up different scenarios what could have happened. Although I always came up with the "correct" answer, I wish the game would have been able to fool me with false leads...

Chopper

Played Murasaki Baby for about 2 hours and realised a single trophy didn't unlock. Also had annoying error pop ups every couple of minutes about it not being able to save.

Googled it and seems pretty common. Dev Twitter feed says it out of their hands and Sony will have to fix it.

The fuck happened to your quality assurance control Sony?
I had the exact same issue on my first playthrough. Saving errors and trophies not popping during the levels involving the girl with the massive hair. I played through again, without any issues, so I have all the trophies now. It's a shame about those issues, cos otherwise I thought the game was absolutely wonderful.

Chatin

Was enjoying Ether One but I hit a point where I moved something to access an area, saved and quit. Came back later and the object is moved back and now I'm trapped in that area. No Respawn option means I've screwed over my save, and cannot progress. Frustrating.

I'm still enjoying Ether One, but certain lack of features is starting to bug me. This game was absolutely begging for a map and a note system. The areas in the game can be really large and look really samey as well. It's so easy to get lost and I just feel some of the clutter of going back and forth could have been aleviated with a simple map screen. I'm not saying the game needed to tell you where to go or anything, but as you visit each room the map should be revealed so you can then just pause, look at it and make things easier to see the layout of the level you've already explored. Nothing is worse than "I need to go back to that part of the level. Where the hell was that again?"

And jesus this game needed a note system. The puzzles get quite complicated and have a big back and forth thing going on. I think in a game like this a good note feature is a necessity. Makes things more annoying than they need to be. Let me make a note of that code which I don't know what it's used for yet. You can't even sticky notes you find in the world. So many times you see notes in the world which, by themselves, don't mean much to you. But you find they're key to the puzzles later on. Just being able to pause and see which notes you've read would make everything so much more convenient and eliminate some of the back and forth clutter.

I haven't played the game yet, but for RE I just used the share button and saved photos of anything i needed to note. Then i opened the picture viewer so i could just double click the ps button to go back and forth. Worked essentially like a note system

It may be oldschool but I had a notepad and wrote everything down in it when it came to notes, it was kinda refreshing to be able, (and almost required!) to do it. Also some notes are saved in your case (downstairs) which was especially helpful for those Industrial area power machine diagrams that every puzzle needed to be turned on in order to begin :p

with regards to puzzles being obtuse, I got it in my head early on that small notes = puzzle related for the most part, and big notes = backstory on the world/characters. Coupled with the idea that most puzzles (to me) were self contained enough for me to not get lost to begin with. So I'd start by reading every note I could get my hands on in an area where there was a projector, and start to piece together whatever information I could deduce from them.

Ether One is hugely inspired by Myst no doubt, so I was able to get into it and crack it open to a point where I understood the logic behind the puzzles, coupled with the vigorous note taking :p it allowed me to pay more attention to my surroundings and not get lost that much. Cause the industrial area can be a right swine for getting lost.

It still sucks that NA doesn't have the patch yet, and even with the 'day 1' patch there are still some issues with it (cant platinum just yet :<)

BadHand

Was enjoying Ether One but I hit a point where I moved something to access an area, saved and quit. Came back later and the object is moved back and now I'm trapped in that area. No Respawn option means I've screwed over my save, and cannot progress. Frustrating.

If this is the post office it is being patched soon.

It's a UE3 game, so running like shit on the PS3 is basically a pre-requisite. Still a pretty good game though, if you can ignore those issues. I think I might get Testiment of Sherlock Holmes if it ever goes on sale on EU PSN.

Wasn't Ether One having a day one update, but the PS4 is telling me the game is v 1.0?

It was only released in EU/PAL territories, so it's probably still in SCEA cert. Usually it's us that has to wait for a patch but this time it's the other way around.

Anyone know how to make the obnoxious "2p press x", "3p press x", and "4p press x" disappear at the top of the screen for Guacamelee? Kinda detracts from the game's gorgeous aesthetic.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I played AirMech back when it was on Chrome's beta platform. Now I started again and I can't stop. Played all weekend.

Top Bottom