• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Roxas

Got my platinum trophy on Ether One then promptly deleted the game never to play again. What a fucking mess. I lost count at the amount of times it crashed on me. Shame really because it's a decent idea for a game

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've been going through the PS4 PS+ backlog since launch, and these are the games worth playing.

Great
FEZ
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
RESOGUN
Spelunky
The Swapper

Good
Don't Starve: Console Edition
inFAMOUS First Light
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
Outlast
Strider
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Transistor
Trine 2: Complete Story
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

You can skip the rest

UV-6

I've been going through the PS4 PS+ backlog since launch, and these are the games worth playing.

Great
FEZ
RESOGUN
Spelunky
The Swapper

Good
inFAMOUS First Light
Outlast
Strider
Transistor

You can skip the rest
Pretty much. Although, I would add Velocity 2X to the 'Great' list and SteamWorld Dig to the 'Good' list.

jimboton

Great
FEZ
RESOGUN
Spelunky
The Swapper

Good
inFAMOUS First Light
Outlast
Strider
Transistor

You can skip the rest

Yeah, good summary. Personally I'd add Race the Sun to the Great tier and elevate Spelunky to its own 'Godly' tier.

Got my platinum trophy on Ether One then promptly deleted the game never to play again. What a fucking mess. I lost count at the amount of times it crashed on me. Shame really because it's a decent idea for a game
How time consuming/easy would you say the Platinum is?

score01

Murasaki Baby: I'd like to punch the guy who designed the flying safety pins. Most annoying enemies ever. Coupled with the touch screen controls which mean you are covering the screen and can't see shit.... Just ... No! SMH

So I think my Ether One is now completely done. After the latest patch I had played a couple of hours through to
pinwheel village
. Now the game just crashes on the title screen as soon as I boot it up. Sometimes if I'm quick I can select an option in the menu, that way I can make it all the way to a loading screen before it crashes.
The game seemed interesting, shame the execution is a real mess.

Guacamelee: STCE is pretty amazing. I'm playing through on hard after beating it on normal, and the game really hits the "challenging without ever feeling cheap" sweet spot that I always look for in my games. This is just well-balanced and the hardest stuff (like Tree Tops or the Infierno Challenges) made me feel well-accomplished after completing them.

xkramz

I got a forced password change by Sony. And I'm worried I may had been hacked or some malicious shit happened. I need to download these games

So I think my Ether One is now completely done. After the latest patch I had played a couple of hours through to
pinwheel village
. Now the game just crashes on the title screen as soon as I boot it up. Sometimes if I'm quick I can select an option in the menu, that way I can make it all the way to a loading screen before it crashes.
The game seemed interesting, shame the execution is a real mess.
Tried deleting and stating again including save files?

Playing Murasaki Baby is such a bummer because underneath the mess that are the controls there is actually a good game with nice puzzles and good use of various "powers".

Unfortunately a game requiring precision should never, never, never use touch controls and in this case it shows once again how terrible is that combination. Backtouch + turning Vita upside down + touchpad on the front = frustrating situation because more often than not something will not work as intended and you feel upset because the shitty controls killed you not the lack of skill.

Removing the backtouch use would be a nice way to start (just have those colors selectable with a touch on the front screen, better than scrolling through all of them to find the right one with the backtouch).

Maybe they got some help from XDev if they used every Vita feature but if they didn't they missed a great opportunity. It's sad because bad games you end up not caring about them but this one could have been a good game. Sadly it's just a mess.

Couldn't disagree more.

It's a puzzle game in the vain of "Irritating Stick" not a platform game like Mario that requires precise control.

There a only a couple of tight spots where you have to control 2 things at once and they are all on the tentacle boy level (I think). With standard controls the game would be over in 20 minutes.

I just finished it; except for the end, I only played one level a day. I thought it was pretty amazing.

My granddaughter kept asking why do they have mouths on the top of their head. I explained that it's the optimal configuration. If you're late for school you put your breakfast in you hat and you eat on the way...

Celegus

Didn't care much for Unfinished Swan, but Guacamelee was really impressive. Not sure I'll go through it again on Hard, but there's a pretty good amount of stuff packed in here. The Inferno challenge rooms were especially fun.

I know it's kinda sad...but I'm already excited for the anticipation of what June's PS+ lineup will be. Practically the best part of the subscription is the buildup for the games each month. So much mystery haha. Do we have any guesses and/or hints?

I predict July will be a huge month. I think they'll announce a big retail PS4 PS+ game during E3 for July.

Kinda want LBP Vita. Err... um... indie games. I only own a Vita.

This month was a bit disappointing. I don't mind artsy indie games but this month had two of them and I really can't say I like to play them all the time. Give me more Rouge Legacy and OlliOlli kinda stuff. Love more conventional games :p

dugdug

Banned
Hope June has a good lineup. I've been subscribed to PS+ since it first started, back when you got free PS1 games, themes, and minis.

I let my sub end last week, and haven't immediately re-upped. The IGC has been a real letdown for me, this year outside of a few games.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Kinda want LBP Vita. Err... um... indie games. I only own a Vita.

This month was a bit disappointing. I don't mind artsy indie games but this month had two of them and I really can't say I like to play them all the time. Give me more Rouge Legacy and OlliOlli kinda stuff. Love more conventional games :p

That'd be nice, but it was just on sale this past weekend for less than $5. To my knowledge, they don't typically offer games for PS+ that were so recently on sale.

Hope June has a good lineup. I've been subscribed to PS+ since it first started, back when you got free PS1 games, themes, and minis.

I let my sub end last week, and haven't immediately re-upped. The IGC has been a real letdown for me, this year outside of a few games.
So basically you got your money's worth for this year?

The way I see IGC is.. I've played around 3 solid games that I would definitely have bought otherwise, all for a total of €50. I already got my money's worth so to speak, so everything else that comes is a bonus to me.

I think Ether One might be the worst PS4 game ever made.

From first impressions, even the splash screens have screen tearing and run about 15fps.

So I'm thinking (having never seen a single screenshot of the game), ok well it's supposed to be Unreal Engine 4, at least this will look nice.

Game loads, level looks like Unreal (1)... controls are squarish, stiff, stuttery... game still running slow, maybe 20-25fps... ok well maybe this intro area is the worst part...

Get through this chore of an intro level. Look at a painting, the frame rate drops in half whenever the painting is on screen. How is this possible. PS4. Unreal Engine. 2015...

Load into an area with grass and trees... Is this really Unreal Engine 4, because the delayed texture loading is still here (Borderlands, Alpha Protocol etc). How is this a 'game'? The area is on rails, enclosed and the graphics look like cardboard cut outs. I don't know why, but I expected Vanishing of Ethan Carter type visuals and gameplay.

"How do I hold all these games?"

Easy, you get to a bad one and delete it.

From first impressions, even the splash screens have screen tearing and run about 15fps.

So I'm thinking (having never seen a single screenshot of the game), ok well it's supposed to be Unreal Engine 4, at least this will look nice.

Game loads, level looks like Unreal (1)... controls are squarish, stiff, stuttery... game still running slow, maybe 20-25fps... ok well maybe this intro area is the worst part...

Get through this chore of an intro level. Look at a painting, the frame rate drops in half whenever the painting is on screen. How is this possible. PS4. Unreal Engine. 2015...

Load into an area with grass and trees... Is this really Unreal Engine 4, because the delayed texture loading is still here (Borderlands, Alpha Protocol etc). How is this a 'game'? The area is on rails, enclosed and the graphics look like cardboard cut outs. I don't know why, but I expected Vanishing of Ethan Carter type visuals and gameplay.

"How do I hold all these games?"

Easy, you get to a bad one and delete it.

Ethan Carter is being ported to UE4 for PS4 as well. I hope it's significantly better than this.

Git

Neo Member
I know it's kinda sad...but I'm already excited for the anticipation of what June's PS+ lineup will be. Practically the best part of the subscription is the buildup for the games each month. So much mystery haha. Do we have any guesses and/or hints?

I predict July will be a huge month. I think they'll announce a big retail PS4 PS+ game during E3 for July.

My predictions:

PS4 - Shadow Warrior, Teslagrad
PS3 - The Darkness 2, Sonic Generations
PSVita - Lego Legends Of Chima, Entwined (crossbuy)

BibiMaghoo

Unfinished Swan is a serious contender. While the premise is very clever, I have to my knowledge never encountered a more boring game. A game that's singular mechanic - to the point I've played - is to shoot balls of paint, and yet even though this is mapped to multiple buttons, none of them repeat, meaning the core interaction is you spamming a button hundreds and hundreds of times while looking in the direction of a white nothing.

Nice idea. Completely pathetic execution. I never call artistic games non-games, but this is totally a non-game. It is paintball at a white screen. Terrible.

androvsky

Unfinished Swan is a serious contender. While the premise is very clever, I have to my knowledge never encountered a more boring game. A game that's singular mechanic - to the point I've played - is to shoot balls of paint, and yet even though this is mapped to multiple buttons, none of them repeat, meaning the core interaction is you spamming a button hundreds and hundreds of times while looking in the direction of a white nothing.

Nice idea. Completely pathetic execution. I never call artistic games non-games, but this is totally a non-game. It is paintball at a white screen. Terrible.

You really didn't make it far, did you?

Did you get past the first level?

graybot

Try progressing into the game beyond the first 2 mins

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Have you played the game for more than 10 minutes? Serious question, because it sounds like you're only describing the intro. That's like saying The Last of Us is only about a girl walking around in a house...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Heh. A person who looked at a screenshot of the game could tell you as much. How did you like the later levels? Did you feel that the story was well told?

Matty77

your calling it a non game after 5-10 minutes? the amount of time devoted to that one mechanic you described does not take up enough time to truly Judge any game. I can still see people not liking it but not for that reason.

You really didn't make it far, did you?

Did you get past the first level?

Try progressing into the game beyond the first 2 mins

Have you played the game for more than 10 minutes? Serious question, because it sounds like you're only describing the intro. That's like saying The Last of Us is only about a girl walking around in a house...

Heh. A person who looked at a screenshot of the game could tell you as much. How did you like the later levels? Did you feel that the story was well told?

your calling it a non game after 5-10 minutes? the amount of time devoted to that one mechanic you described does not take up enough time to truly Judge any game. I can still see people not liking it but not for that reason.

that backfired hard

mclem

I'm reminded of the wonderful, wonderful Floyd from Planetfall, who comments when you read a history article about Zork:

>type 1
The screen clears and some text appears:

"Xe Zoork triloojee, an adventshur klasik, taaks plaas in aa deeliitful but daanjuris undurgrownd seteeng."

"Foor moor deetaald infoormaashun on xis tapik, konsult xe liibrereein foor xe aproopreeit spuulz. Tiip zeeroo tuu goo tuu aa hiiyur levul."
Floyd, peering over your shoulder, says "Oh, I love that game! Solved every problem, except couldn't figure out how to get into white house."

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I think that's one "disadvantage" (in brackets) of PS+: you don't pay much for the games and you receive so many of them, it's hard to give enough time to each one. So you end up playing a lot of them for 10-15 minutes and pass judgement immediately. It's easy to miss great games in these conditions.

Top Bottom