• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

I'm very happy to see the Unfinished Swan defense force. I absolutely loved it and my son did also. We are replaying it now to find all the balloons we missed!

BibiMaghoo

Holy quotes Batman.

I did say what I have played people, I made it to the second area before going 'WTF am I actually playing here'.

Am I to assume then, there is much more to it?

hawk2025

Holy quotes Batman.

I did say what I have played people, I made it to the second area before going 'WTF am I actually playing here'.

Am I to assume then, there is much more to it?

The problem isn't that you formed impressions based on 5 minutes of play, but how assertive you were, coupled with that good 'ol "I never do _____, but since I'm doing _____ now surely it's a valid criticism" fallacy:

Nice idea. Completely pathetic execution. I never call artistic games non-games, but this is totally a non-game. It is paintball at a white screen. Terrible.

There just ain't coming back from that, man :p

I'll, er, get my shovel.
You are a good guy and I didn't mean to be mean :(
But it stands to good reason that, when deciding to drop a game super quick (totally valid, I'm not judging that particular decision), we have to keep in mind that we probably shouldn't say tooo much about what it actually is :)

BibiMaghoo

The problem isn't that you formed impressions based on 5 minutes of play, but how assertive you were:

There just ain't coming back from that, man :p

I'll, er, get my shovel.

This makes no sense. The entire game is a giant white space that you throw black paint at. Are you sure you were playing the Unfinished Swan? By Giant Sparrow? The one that's free on PS+ this month? Of May?

My saviour.

Unfinished Swan was ok but shooting water to make the vines grow was neither fun nor interesting.

This makes no sense. The entire game is a giant white space that you throw black paint at. Are you sure you were playing the Unfinished Swan? By Giant Sparrow? The one that's free on PS+ this month? Of May?

thenexus6

Unfinished Swan was really good, one of my favourite games from PS+ in ages. I started Ether One but my PS4 gets so loud, and reading all the problem it has i'll wait for an update.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed, the game is absolutely brillant. I liked it more than Journey, to be honest.

Same here. Journey is often presented as the "flagship" Playstation indie and I love it, but Unfinished Swan was even more memorable to me.

Mepsi

I did very nearly dismiss The Unfinished Swan quite quickly. The first section got very old very quickly for me. Normally I will grit my teeth and give a game a fair chance but I just could not stand it.

Fortunately my girlfriend was watching me play it at the time and it really appealed to her, so she took over and I had a quick glance now and then to see how she was getting on. By the end I was hooked on watching and saw it through to the end.

Went back to do my own playthrough and now I'm working on getting all of the balloons, and I am loving it, I just wish I could have given it a fair chance to begin with.

I'll have to give Unfinished Swan a few more minutes of my time because honestly I went from really impressed by the mechanic and artistic beauty of it, to really underwhelmed and uninterested in progressing.

I'm sure there were many factors at play that caused that, many of them anecdotal and completely based on my mood at the time, which is why I haven't bothered offering any opinions about the game because I barely played it.

I do have to say though, when a game doesn't start getting to the point fast I will turn it off and do something else. If I get bored or feel like the game isn't going to go anywhere else it makes it hard to continue if I'm not in love with the mechanics. That's nobodies fault, but it was a factor in me getting bored about 10 minutes in.

Hell, it took me forever to finally give Guacamelee a chance because the opening section made it seem like a sidescrolling brawler similar to Shank, something I just wasn't interested in playing at the time. I didn't find out until it was on PS+ and I gave it a solid 30 minutes that it was a Metroidvania game, and I was hooked from that point on.

Astral

The only thing I didn't like about Unfinished Swan was how ridiculously short it was and spamming the trigger button to shoot. It's best everyone who's playing it for the first time try to unlock the hose ASAP.

Garlador

I love the Unfinished Swan.

It's a bedtime story in game format. Short, sweet, simple, heartfelt, and infinitely repeatable.

I adore it and we need more games like it.

Karu

Played Ether One for a bit and like it a lot so far. interesting premise and environments. Definitely test it for yourself.

JP

...(in brackets)...
Um, there's a what now??

I really enjoyed Ether One and I can see myself spending quite a bit of time with it. I can understand that it's not for everybody but this and The Unfinished Swan were really enjoyable for me.

Still hoping that we'll get a PS4 edition of Proteus at some point as that's another that I really got a lot out of.

Matty77

While people are talking about first impressions, I almost made the same mistake with Hohokum. But once I got what was going on I loved it. And this is one reason I love PS+ is on looks alone I never would have bothered with it.

It seems you played for 2 minutes like Bibi did.

Unfinished Swan is a beautiful, interesting and creative game.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
The poster was mocking me. They didn't mean it.

But seriously, you should give Unfinished Swan another try. I'm not sure you'll like it and it's a very contemplative game, but there's definitely a lot more to it than shooting ink in white rooms, I promise. :)

Menaged

I've completed The Unfinished Swan today, and I highly recommend playing it.
A fantastic and short game, with some really nice mechanics later on, and tons upon tons of atmosphere.

BibiMaghoo

But seriously, you should give Unfinished Swan another try. I'm not sure you'll like it and it's a very contemplative game, but there's definitely a lot more to it than shooting ink in white rooms, I promise. :)

I should have said I tried it out on my Vita, rather than PS4. That made the crazy spamming paint buttons somewhat more irritating. But I recognise my failure, and will be sure to correct it :p

I'll try some more areas.

Calcium

Banned
Race the Sun is fantastic. I've played it for hours today without even realizing it. It'll be my go-to on my Vita for a while.

If Ether One ever gets fixed, this will be my favorite Plus month since the PS4 launched. Guacamelee! is insanely fun. The Unfinished Swan is compelling and heartfelt. Hohokum is one of the most creative videogames I've played and yeah, it's a buggy mess so far but Ether One really has something going if it all clicks.

Race to the Sun is a garbage mobile game.

Audioboxer

Race the Sun is fantastic. I've played it for hours today without even realizing it. It'll be my go-to on my Vita for a while.

If Ether One ever gets fixed, this will be my favorite Plus month since the PS4 launched. Guacamelee! is insanely fun. The Unfinished Swan is compelling and heartfelt. Hohokum is one of the most creative videogames I've played and yeah, it's a buggy mess so far but Ether One really has something going if it all clicks.

Race to the Sun is a garbage mobile game.

lol.

Not laughing at your opinions, just how games can be so different to another :)

Celegus

This was a really solid month of interesting games. Finished Murasaki Baby up tonight and it was quite delightful. Haven't even tried Ether One yet, but I don't think it's quite my cup of tea regardless of the bugs. Didn't care much for Race the Sun either, since I'm garbage at racing games. Made it to level 10 and had my fill, plus the challenges I have now are all but impossible (for me).

Koh

Even though I'm not a trophy hunter, not getting credit for the projector repairs i have done in the ether one has kept me from playing the game further. I was super diligent and thorough and fixed every projector in the first two areas. Then i went back to the home base to read Projectors Restored: 0/20.

WTF, isn't the first one required for progression? I felt deflated and now am unlikely to return.

dosh

Yup, great game, I enjoyed it a lot (on Steam, a few months ago). I just wish the visuals were less dull, more colorful. It looks a bit like a prototype at times.

LAM09

Completed Guacamelee a few weeks ago, it's a really enjoyable game. Race the Sun isn't bad either, but I only tend to play it from time to time.

zeitgeist

Finally got a PS4 so I am slowly hacking away at my PS plus backlog.

Valiant Hearts is absolutely excellent so far. I hope we see more games like this. Guacamelee has been pretty cool too. Planning to try Transistor and Velocity too before I get too many retail games and forget about them.

Hope I don't get side-scroller fatigue but so far, so good.

Finally got a PS4 so I am slowly hacking away at my PS plus backlog.

Valiant Hearts is absolutely excellent so far. I hope we see more games like this. Guacamelee has been pretty cool too. Planning to try Transistor and Velocity too before I get too many retail games and forget about them.

Hope I don't get side-scroller fatigue but so far, so good.

I have become sidescroller fatigue about halfway into Valiant Hearts. I just deleted it off my PS4 out of frustration. I'm putting all Plus games aside for now.

Just finished Ether One. The ending was really sad... I think it made up for the technical mess. Sad so few will experience it now.

Developers need to finish making their games before they release them if they want people to care about them.

It's only ten days until the next batch of Plus games will be available and this one still isn't working, I can't imagine anyone's going to play it now, let alone get anywhere in it.

Top Bottom