• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Did I say the mechanic was cheap or did I say knock back led to some cheap deaths in my opinion? It's not unfair but I get annoyed whenever that crap happens. I didn't even insinuate the game was bad, I said a few deaths made me mad so I quit playing rather than restart a 20-30 minute battle for the 3rd time. Skulls of the Shogun just isn't for me, if other people are having fun with it that's cool.
The issue is that you called them cheap deaths, implying an element that isn't fair. Which completely isn't true. But it's cool if you don't like it.

Walpurgis

Banned
June DID have a AAA PS4 game. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes*. And Call of Juarez isn't indie either.

* Yep... sure makes me wish for games like Dust or Valiant Hearts, eh.

Yes, that and the Knack jokes. Seriously, the horse isn't just dead, it's nothing but a pile of unrecognizable goo now.

The PS3 library was 6 years old by then. Why don't you show what Sony gave away back when its library was smaller, hmm?

This argument doesn't work because there as also been a noticeable downgrade in value of the PS3 games as well. It's fine if you prefer smaller indie games but let's not pretend to not see what is actually happening here.

124 DmC: Devil May Cry January 7, 2014 February 4, 2014 [85]
125 BioShock Infinite January 14, 2014 May 13, 2014 [86]
126 Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons January 21, 2014 May 20, 2014 [87]

161 DuckTales: Remastered January 6, 2015 February 3, 2015 [109]
162 Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (cross-buy)
163 Prototype 2
164 The Swapper (cross-buy)

As someone who owns a PSV, PS3 and PS4, I do not count crossbuy games (unless they take up one of the two PS3 slots).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This argument doesn't work because there as also been a noticeable downgrade in value of the PS3 games as well.
And that could be because it's a console on its way out. But honestly, I don't think that's true. They gave us Thief, Hitman Trilogy, Dishonored, Call of Juarez very recently. I mean sure Thief is crap but it's AAA.

I guess people won't be happy unless they get The Last of Us, Dark Souls and GTA or something... e_e

Late Flag

To be honest I'd rather PS+ have less well known/quantifiable titles. I've played some stuff this month I wouldn't have picked up of my own volition in a million years.

This. The best games I've played on PS+ were mostly games that I wouldn't have bought if left up to my own devices. Don't Starve, Outlast, Transistor, Resogun, Counterspy, Trine 2, etc. Honestly I would have purchased Outlast anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't count that one. And that's not even counting if you go back into the PS3 era.

I'm fine with Knack or whatever if they decide to go that route, but I also like the gems that I wouldn't have played otherwise. If that means a few months here and there where I don't like what's being offered, oh well.

Walpurgis

Banned
And that could be because it's a console on its way out. But honestly, I don't think that's true. They gave us Thief, Hitman Trilogy, Dishonored, Call of Juarez very recently. I mean sure Thief is crap but it's AAA.

I guess people won't be happy unless they get The Last of Us, Dark Souls and GTA or something... e_e

It's a console on its way out but there are a TON of old games that haven't made it on there. Mass Effect Trilogy, Assassin's Creed games, Dead Space 1+2, The Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare, Dark Souls, SOCOM, Resistance, Killzone, Dead Island, Portal 2, God of War, Far Cry 3, L.A. Noire, Ninja Gaiden, Max Payne, Heavy Rain, Dragon Age and tons more. They have such a huge backlog of great games that it is very apparent when we are getting stuff like Cloudberry Kingdom instead. It's frustrating because this is clearly a result of putting online behind a paywall - there is less incentive for them to justify the subscription because it has become a necessity now.

illusionary

Really enjoyed this month games except for Futuridium but the biggest surprise for me is Super Exploding Zoo.

Never heard anything about this game and went in completely dark about the game and 4 hours later I was hooked. It's a nice puzzle game that mixes a lot of cool design concepts to solve puzzles. Sometimes it feels like a tower defense game, others a speed run game, while some levels are about units management. It has some bugs to fix but it's definitely a game I recommend.

Yeah, I enjoyed the game too. Shame that the platinum is near-impossible (but not quite) at present, but that's due to be patched shortly.

And Fire Emblem isn't even 'AAA' so calm your tits, I'm not trying to attack your precious indie games. Christ, you need to stop.

It's obvious he was referring to Anas and his cherished (if fictitious) "five AAA a month" era, look a few posts above your own. No need for this derogatory exhortation for mammary gland pacification.

Considering I have TLOU remastered, Dark Souls for both PS3 and PC, and don't give a damn about GTA, that would in fact make me plenty unhappy! :D (although I would be glad secondhand that it would maximize other people's exposure to the grandness of Dark Souls). I'm much happier with indies, but then I generally am happier with indies in general.

This. The best games I've played on PS+ were mostly games that I wouldn't have bought if left up to my own devices. Don't Starve, Outlast, Transistor, Resogun, Counterspy, Trine 2, etc. Honestly I would have purchased Outlast anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't count that one. And that's not even counting if you go back into the PS3 era.

I'm fine with Knack or whatever if they decide to go that route, but I also like the gems that I wouldn't have played otherwise. If that means a few months here and there where I don't like what's being offered, oh well.

Very true. Outlast and Transistor are the only ones I haven't tried from the others you mentioned, but I loved all the others. I'm saving Transistor for a proverbial rain day as I got my PS4 on Monday and I'm still working though my insane PS+ backlog (loved Infamous: First Light); very much looking forward to that as I loved Bastion and was about to buy the PC version. Outlast wasn't entirely on my radar but I'll give it a try after seeing it mentioned among such illustrious company.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just remembered that Dark Souls doesn't even exist digitally anyway so they couldn't even give it away even if they wanted, heh.

It's a console on its way out but there are a TON of old games that haven't made it on there. Mass Effect Trilogy, Assassin's Creed games, Dead Space 1+2, The Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare, Dark Souls, SOCOM, Resistance, Killzone, Dead Island, Portal 2, God of War, Far Cry 3, L.A. Noire, Ninja Gaiden, Max Payne, Heavy Rain, Dragon Age and tons more. They have such a huge backlog of great games that it is very apparent when we are getting stuff like Cloudberry Kingdom instead. It's frustrating because this is clearly a result of putting online behind a paywall - there is less incentive for them to justify the subscription because it has become a necessity now.
I don't care about Cloudberry Kingdom but I honestly don't care about a single of these games either... lol. Actually some of those games I outright loathe and wouldn't want. I'm serious. "Value" is really relative.

The only AAA game for PS3 I'd be interested are um... Darksiders 2, maybe. I might give a shot to Dead Island just for kicks but I don't care if I never get to play it.

Possibly because I actually buy the games I really want, and the free ones I consider a bonus, something to try for fun. Waiting for a game I want to get on PS+ seems like an exercise in frustration.

Considering I have TLOU remastered, Dark Souls for both PS3 and PC, and don't give a damn about GTA, that would in fact make me plenty unhappy! :D
Haha, same actually, on all three counts. xD

Walpurgis

Banned
Just remembered that Dark Souls doesn't even exist digitally anyway so they couldn't even give it away even if they wanted, heh.

I don't care about Cloudberry Kingdom but I honestly don't care about a single of these games either... lol. Actually some of those games I outright loathe and wouldn't want. I'm serious. "Value" is really relative.

The only AAA game for PS3 I'd be interested are um... Darksiders 2, maybe. I might give a shot to Dead Island just for kicks but I don't care if I never get to play it.

Possibly because I actually buy the games I really want, and the free ones I consider a bonus, something to try for fun. Waiting for a game I want to get on PS+ seems like an exercise in frustration.

Haha, same actually, on all three counts. xD

You are right in that everyone has different tastes. This is why they should use the consensus of critics on sites like Metacritic. Just go to Metacritic > best games of all time > PS3 and you will find that many of them are not on plus. You may prefer the current state of plus but you can't deny that Sony has cheapened out this gen. A good example of their consciousness of this is when they announced two AAA PS4 games just in time for when PS4 launch owners' subscriptions were going to lapse. Up until that point they had never done anything like that and we have gotten no full retail games on PS4 plus since. What makes it worse is that PS3 plus has also suffered. Sony knows what the majority of people want but they are giving it to us.

Celegus

Did I say the mechanic was cheap or did I say knock back led to some cheap deaths in my opinion? It's not unfair but I get annoyed whenever that crap happens. I didn't even insinuate the game was bad, I said a few deaths made me mad so I quit playing rather than restart a 20-30 minute battle for the 3rd time. Skulls of the Shogun just isn't for me, if other people are having fun with it that's cool.

Or just load the autosave and go back 2 minutes? What's wrong with that?

What happened to you edit? Did it work afterall?

Yeah, it was really confusing.

PayPal sent me an alert that I payed $39.99. eBay history says $39.99, but if I go into order details I finally see the coupon applied. So, I believe it worked, but the inconsistent messaging is pretty annoying.

My ps+ subscription ran out a few days ago, according to history should I renew it now in case of any e3 announcement or will it be the same of I just wait it out a bit more?

Roto13

My ps+ subscription ran out a few days ago, according to history should I renew it now in case of any e3 announcement or will it be the same of I just wait it out a bit more?

The odds of anything being restricted to people who were PS+ subscribers before a specific point in time that has already passed are pretty slim. :p

WTF, so Ground Zeros is literally just one level? What's the point of that?

I enjoyed it, the mechanics were good, but wft...?

Also reading the backstory, is there really a character called Dr. Strangelove? xD

WTF, so Ground Zeros is literally just one level? What's the point of that?

I enjoyed it, the mechanics were good, but wft...?

Also reading the backstory, is there really a character called Dr. Strangelove? xD

It's a sandbox to have fun in. I've gone through the missions many different ways and just messed around with the different things at your disposal.

Dr. Strangelove is a nickname her peers gave her, probably because of the movie. The movie Dr. Strangelove exists in the Metal Gear universe and is directly referenced in MGS3.

Roto13

It's a sandbox to have fun in. I've gone through the missions many different ways and just messed around with the different things at your disposal.

Dr. Strangelove is a nickname her peers gave her, probably because of the movie. The movie Dr. Strangelove exists in the Metal Gear universe and is directly referenced in MGS3.

Also because she's a lesbian and apparently Kojima thinks anyone has ever said "Your love is strange" to another human being.

I've never played a Metal Gear game before and had a really hard time playing this. If I play more, will I ever... get it? Will the sneaking around click or was I right to just shut it off and delete it out of my history sans trophies after my 5th or 6th death?

I guess what I'm saying is... as someone who has never played this series before, that is a rough way to introduce it. I felt like I was thrown into the deep end of the pool carrying an anchor.

Roto13

I've never played a Metal Gear game before and had a really hard time playing this. If I play more, will I ever... get it? Will the sneaking around click or was I right to just shut it off and delete it out of my history sans trophies after my 5th or 6th death?

I guess what I'm saying is... as someone who has never played this series before, that is a rough way to introduce it. I felt like I was thrown into the deep end of the pool carrying an anchor.

It's actually pretty different from past Metal Gear Solid games anyway. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Do the rest of the missions.
I did two, and they were significantly worse than the main ones. Should I bother with the other two?
This game is superbly polished graphics-wise, but otherwise really feels like a rip-off. Can't believe they charged $40 for this on release, yikes.

I did two, and they were significantly worse than the main ones. Should I bother with the other two?
This game is superbly polished graphics-wise, but otherwise really feels like a rip-off. Can't believe they charged $40 for this on release, yikes.

40 really is too much. But it's a fun sandbox, the missions have high replay value. I bought it day one, and don't really feel ripped off, I enjoyed my time with it. Try doing things meticulously, that can help.

When does the Knack train roll out?

Hasney

Only actual rumour I've seen is Rocket League based on the release date but I kinda hope not. It's such a fantastic game it deserves to be bought, but a big online population would be cool.
Plus lots of scrubs who didn't play the beta I could whoop

hawk2025

It dropped to $30 before release.

Only actual rumour I've seen is Rocket League based on the release date but I kinda hope not. It's such a fantastic game it deserves to be bought, but a big online population would be cool.
Plus lots of scrubs who didn't play the beta I could whoop

That would be great. The beta was excellent. I'm buying it anyway but free is always better.

Top Bottom