• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

cyba89

Played through Sound Shapes and don't get the praise it got in the PS+ announcement thread. I think it was pretty average.
And that Death mode is kinda bullshit, because it's totally luck based.

xrnzaaas

Yep, sometimes you make all the moves perfect, but the objects are just too far and there's no way to get to them in time. Sometimes you make a mistake or two and you still finish with a safe margin.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Played through Sound Shapes and don't get the praise it got in the PS+ announcement thread. I think it was pretty average.
I was saying this in 2012. It's very overrated. Great sound design but that's about it. And yeah death mode is pure luck based bullshit. Terrible game design.

1er tigre

They're giving away as many games as they ever have, so the offer is still as good as before. If they start giving away fewer games, then your argument would hold water.

Anyone using Plus to obtain specific games or specific types of games is an idiot, because Sony have never, ever promised that the service will offer such things so to expect them is folly. You're just letting yourself get annoyed because your perception of what the service is is actually totally incorrect.
It's not totally the case. We don't have the 6 games that stayed for a few months anymore.
But anyway, it was not the point...
I see that we can't judge the offer. We must say alltogether "PS+ is great, horay !"

Qvoth

my ps+ runs out on november, but i bought a 1 year ps+ card
if i use it now, will the sub end on next year august or november?

xrnzaaas

I've finished Limbo for the first time and imo the game is massively overrated. Yeah, the visuals are great, but the gameplay is more and more disappointing as the game progresses, especially the puzzles involving switching gravity.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I was saying this in 2012. It's very overrated. Great sound design but that's about it. And yeah death mode is pure luck based bullshit. Terrible game design.
Did people praise more than the sound design? It's fucking great with a good sound system or headphones. There are great user created stages also but I didn't find the levels in the base game deserving of the hype. It wasn't difficult to get the Platinum either and with the cross-save it made all the trophies pop on the other systems as soon as you loaded the save.

VLiberty

It's not totally the case. We don't have the 6 games that stayed for a few months anymore.
But anyway, it was not the point...
I see that we can't judge the offer. We must say alltogether "PS+ is great, horay !"

At first we had 3 monthly games + 3 yearly games. Which amounts to 39 games in a year.
The year later we had 5 monthly games(PS3+ Vita) and 5 "yearly" games (Vita games stayed for more than a year). Which amounts to 65 games in a year
Since last year, we have 6 monthly games but no more "yearly" games. Which means that we're getting more games than before since 6x12=72

No one is saying that you can't judge the offer, but if you criticize it you must have valid reasons.

I've finished Limbo for the first time and imo the game is massively overrated. Yeah, the visuals are great, but the gameplay is more and more disappointing as the game progresses, especially the puzzles involving switching gravity.

I agree. Easily one of the worst games played on Vita

Yeah the reaction to the game baffles me. I usually try to understand why people like certain games that I don't, but I just don't see anything in Limbo that could justify the high praise it gets. Really mediocre game

Celegus

Whooaaa there's finally other people that also don't get the Limbo love! I despised that game so much after really looking forward to it, found it very frustrating and just boring. No clue what people see in it.

Might have to grab Galak-Z with the PS+ discount this week. Now that looks like a game.

Think this is a pretty weak month. 2 very old games most people have played, an average stealth puzzler and an OK twin stick shooter with a great skin/license.

I've loved pretty much every PS+ month since I got my PS4 last year. Maybe this month just wasn't for me.

Well, it looks like I'll have to sell my ps4 soon. I'll try to get cash and a ps3 for it so I can still game. It sucks that I'm broke and it's either the ps4 or food.

Benedict

God I hate how the download list fucks up when you extend your subscription to PS+.

And it's a total fucking mystery why Sony still haven't fixed that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
God I hate how the download list fucks up when you extend your subscription to PS+.

And it's a total fucking mystery why Sony still haven't fixed that.
Oh is that what fucked up the dates on my downloads/transaction items on the PS3? I was really wondering... but that makes sense.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Stealth Inc 2 is really good as expected. I like that they've incorporated gadgets in to the main game this time. Makes for some more creative stage designs than the first game.

redcrayon

Think this is a pretty weak month. 2 very old games most people have played, an average stealth puzzler and an OK twin stick shooter with a great skin/license.

I've loved pretty much every PS+ month since I got my PS4 last year. Maybe this month just wasn't for me.
For 'most' people to have played a title it would have to have sold several million copies, I don't think that's the case. Most games are only played by a fraction of the install base, even the really popular ones.

1er tigre

At first we had 3 monthly games + 3 yearly games. Which amounts to 39 games in a year.
The year later we had 5 monthly games(PS3+ Vita) and 5 "yearly" games (Vita games stayed for more than a year). Which amounts to 65 games in a year
Since last year, we have 6 monthly games but no more "yearly" games. Which means that we're getting more games than before since 6x12=72

No one is saying that you can't judge the offer, but if you criticize it you must have valid reasons.

You're right. In 2013 in PAL region There were 77 games downloadable via ps+ and in 2014 There were 89 games downloadable. But in 2013 only 12 were cross-buy and in 2014... 41 of them were cross-buy.
I think there are some valid reasons. But like I said before, it's not about the number of games...

You're right. In 2013 in PAL region There were 77 games downloadable via ps+ and in 2014 There were 89 games downloadable. But in 2013 only 12 were cross-buy and in 2014... 41 of them were cross-buy.
I think there are some valid reasons. But like I said before, it's not about the number of games...

If it's about the quality of games, then you're going to need to come back with average metacritic scores or something rather than saying "there used to be more retail games" because that's a completely irrelevant metric.

bjaelke

Annual prices staying the same.

P7zAhuc.png

1er tigre

If it's about the quality of games, then you're going to need to come back with average metacritic scores or something rather than saying "there used to be more retail games" because that's a completely irrelevant metric.
I don't have time for a "metacritic analysis" but I'm pretty sure it decreased. The value in $/€ of the games offered also decreased. And lastly, the variety decreased: we used to have big budget games and small budgetgames now we have only small budget games.
All in all I think the offer is weaker.

Joni

The value in $/€ of the games offered also decreased.
If you look at actual price for most of those retail games, I don't think that is correct considering we're now getting games that are still fullprice while we used to get retailgame that you could buy for $5.

I don't have time for a "metacritic analysis" but I'm pretty sure it decreased. The value in $/€ of the games offered also decreased. And lastly, the variety decreased: we used to have big budget games and small budgetgames now we have only small budget games.

You can't make statements about how you're "pretty sure" the offer is weaker if you can't be fucked to find the evidence to back it up. You being "pretty sure" it's weaker is worth nothing.

Either prove the offer is weaker in quality, or there's no point you talking.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This month we got puzzle platformers, a tower defense game, a twin stick shooter with puzzzle elements, an action game and a sound based platformer with a focus on level creation. Last month we got a sports/driving game, a stealth game, a twin stick shooter, a puzzle game, a....whatever genre entwined is and an adventure game.

I think we're doing just fine for variety.

Wiggy

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. 1 big 1 small is what I think they should be shooting for, try and return/get closer to the glory days.

Roto13

"Big" and "small" are even more pathetic indicators of a games quality than "retail" and "indie" are.

... sorry =(

Do you have some kind of mental block that prevents you from understanding that larger scale games are different from smaller ones and it's ok to want them?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Do you have some kind of mental block that prevents you from understanding that larger scale games are different from smaller ones and it's ok to want them?
When games like Binding of Isaac are considered "small games", I think confusion is very valid. A lot of the supposed big games people are asking for are in reality smaller experiences than the indies they apparently hate.

JonnyKong

My brother and I played about three hours on Lara Croft tonight. We had good fun. Some of the challenge rooms can be really annoying and fiddly so we may just leave those behind. The game is crazy glitched though in so many ways.

What I Wanna Be The Guy said.

Nobody knows what big and small means. People need to stop pretending they give a shit about the games and just admit that what they want is a free $60. At least if people are honest we've got a proper base to start a discussion from.

Roto13

Procedural generation doesn't make a game large scale, no matter how much you like it. Christ.

Sick of this thread full of apologists. PS+ gets worse and people defend it. This kind of crap is why Microsoft got away with charging people $50 or $60 a year for nothing for an entire generation.

Wiggy

I think some just get frustrated about people insulting games they like, so they lash out.

VLiberty

The value in $/€ of the games offered also decreased. -> not true, not when we're getting 20$/€ games on d1. Yeah, retail games launch at 70€, but most of them are 10-15€/$ when they're offered.

the variety decreased, we used to have big budget games and small budgetgames now we have only small budget games. -> not true, we were getting big & small budget games and we still are. Maybe in different proportions, but just look at GOW Ascension this month, MGS last month (assuming it counts), Dishonored, Killzone M etc...

When games like Binding of Isaac are considered "small games", I think confusion is very valid. A lot of the supposed big games people are asking for are in reality smaller experiences than the indies they apparently hate.

Also this.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Procedural generation doesn't make a game large scale, no matter how much you like it. Christ.

Sick of this thread full of apologists. PS+ gets worse and people defend it. This kind of crap is why Microsoft got away with charging people $50 or $60 a year for nothing for an entire generation.
Holy shit dude. You're actually saying that BOI is a small scale game. This is a game that to fully complete will take hundreds of hours. You're proving our damn point. What you really mean is a big budget game, which has nothing to do with the amount of content or quality.

We're apologists? Fucking hell. No, we simply appreciate good games regardless of whether they come in boxes or not, and Plus has been delivering that in spades. In fact a good contender for GOTY got a Plus release on RELEASE DAY just last month. We're getting GOTY quality games the day they release. I'm sorry we cant be so close minded as to decide that these games cant possibly be good because they don't have AAA budgets. We must be such terrible corporate apologists for liking good games.

Holy shit dude. You're actually saying that BOI is a small scale game. This is a game that to fully complete will take hundreds of hours. You're proving our damn point. What you really mean is a big budget game, which has nothing to do with the amount of content or quality.

We're apologists? Fucking hell. No, we simply appreciate good games regardless of whether they come in boxes or not, and Plus has been delivering that in spades. In fact a good contender for GOTY got a Plus release on RELEASE DAY just last month. We're getting GOTY quality games the day they release. I'm sorry we cant be so close minded as to decide that these games cant possibly be good because they don't have AAA budgets. We must be such terrible corporate apologists for liking good games.

ugh. just stop man. please. BOI is not a "big game" I wouldn't call any rogue-like consisting of 20 minute runs "big." quality aside. people want something like say....AC black flag as a psplus game. stop pretending you don't understand the difference. and this is coming from someone who loves a lot of these indie games, i fucking love rocket league. i put 50 hours into spelunky. i'm working on a transistor platinum. eitherway, the argument that they should put some bigger-budget retail games on psplus is perfectly valid. they absolutely should supply games for that audience. particularly considering that they did so on ps3. there is an audience that doesn't want to play old school games or 2D games or puzzlers, some may want to just play FPS and TPS or 3D action adventure games. and there's also an audience like myself that would like them to mix it up more.

wanting some AAA games on psplus =/= hates all indie games

Siegmeyer

I'm surprised at the hate Temple of Osiris got in this thread when it was announced. I'm a few hours in and so far it's just as good as Guardian of Light. Does it go to shit later on or something?

Microsoft got away with that by providing a service that was so much better than PSN that it was actually comical.

quality aside. people want something like say....AC black flag as a psplus game. stop pretending you don't understand the difference.

If people want Black Flag they should go and buy Black Flag. Subscribing to PS+ as an alternative to buying games is just total stupidity and absolutely not what the service is there for. It's a chance to try games you otherwise wouldn't have, or a chance to build your collection. Waiting for a specific game and then moaning that it doesn't appear on the service is dumb, because Sony have never made any promises at all about what will or will not appear on the service.

Basically people have totally misunderstood what Plus is and are now moaning because it's not what they thought it was. That's their own fault.

the argument that they should put some bigger-budget retail games on psplus is perfectly valid. they absolutely should supply games for that audience. particularly considering that they did so on ps3.

The PS3 came out in 2006. Here's a list of high budget retail games they gave away in the first three years of the console's life:

Here's a list of games in chronological order that were released on PS+ (NA) for the PS3, between the start of the service and the first high budget retail game coming out:

1 Wipeout HD June 29, 2010
2 Critter Crunch July 27, 2010
3 Mushroom Wars August 24, 2010
4 Zen Pinball September 21, 2010
5 Burn Zombie Burn October 19, 2010
6 Shatter November 16, 2010
7 Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves
8 Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (episodes 1–5) December 14, 2010
9 Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West January 4, 2011
10 Digger HD February 1, 2011
11 Stacking February 8, 2011
12 Sonic the Hedgehog March 1, 2011
13 Comet Crash March 29, 2011
14 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 April 5, 2011
15 Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers June 7, 2011
16 Streets of Rage 2 June 28, 2011
17 Bomberman Ultra July 5, 2011
18 Golden Axe July 12, 2011
19 Crash Commando August 2, 2011
20 Comix Zone August 9, 2011
21 Altered Beast September 6, 2011
22 Astro Tripper
23 Plants vs. Zombies
24 Costume Quest October 4, 2011
25 Elemental Monster
26 Dead Nation October 18, 2011
27 Hydrophobia: Prophecy November 1, 2011
28 Tomb Raider: Underworld December 6, 2011

From Wikipedia, but I assume it's accurate. So there you see there were precisely zero IGC games in the first three and a half years of the PS3s life, and in the first year and a half of PlayStation Plus existing there were also precisely zero retail games. Everything was smaller digital downloads and retro stuff. In the six months after Tomb Raider was given away, there were only four more retail games offered.

The PS3 started getting retail games with some degree of regularity in about mid-2012, almost six years after the console released, but even then there were still more "small" games than "big" games if that's the terminology people want to use.

Anyone saying that the PS4 offering is crap compared to the PS3 offering is speaking bullshit. You simply can't compare a system in its twilight years with a catalogue of 2,000 games to a new system with a very limited catalogue. If the PS4 offering still has no retail games in two or three years time you might have a point but until then you really have no case at all.

Microsoft got away with that by providing a service that was so much better than PSN that it was actually comical.

If people want Black Flag they should go and buy Black Flag. Subscribing to PS+ as an alternative to buying games is just total stupidity and absolutely not what the service is there for. It's a chance to try games you otherwise wouldn't have, or a chance to build your collection. Waiting for a specific game and then moaning that it doesn't appear on the service is dumb, because Sony have never made any promises at all about what will or will not appear on the service.

Basically people have totally misunderstood what Plus is and are now moaning because it's not what they thought it was. That's their own fault.

i don't even know what you're talking about with this. i think people have a very good understanding of what psplus is. you pay a yearly fee. you get online play on ps4. you get games to play on playstations platforms. that's what psplus is. and the free games being offered aren't the kinds of games a somewhat large section of the gaming crowd wants. there's no reason (other than money) why sony couldn't throw in a FPS/TPS or open world game.

The PS3 came out in 2006. Here's a list of high budget retail games they gave away in the first three years of the console's life:

Here's a list of games in chronological order that were released on PS+ (NA) for the PS3, between the start of the service and the first high budget retail game coming out:

1 Wipeout HD June 29, 2010
2 Critter Crunch July 27, 2010
3 Mushroom Wars August 24, 2010
4 Zen Pinball September 21, 2010
5 Burn Zombie Burn October 19, 2010
6 Shatter November 16, 2010
7 Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves
8 Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (episodes 1–5) December 14, 2010
9 Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West January 4, 2011
10 Digger HD February 1, 2011
11 Stacking February 8, 2011
12 Sonic the Hedgehog March 1, 2011
13 Comet Crash March 29, 2011
14 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 April 5, 2011
15 Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers June 7, 2011
16 Streets of Rage 2 June 28, 2011
17 Bomberman Ultra July 5, 2011
18 Golden Axe July 12, 2011
19 Crash Commando August 2, 2011
20 Comix Zone August 9, 2011
21 Altered Beast September 6, 2011
22 Astro Tripper
23 Plants vs. Zombies
24 Costume Quest October 4, 2011
25 Elemental Monster
26 Dead Nation October 18, 2011
27 Hydrophobia: Prophecy November 1, 2011
28 Tomb Raider: Underworld December 6, 2011

From Wikipedia, but I assume it's accurate. So there you see there were precisely zero IGC games in the first three and a half years of the PS3s life, and in the first year and a half of PlayStation Plus existing there were also precisely zero retail games. Everything was smaller digital downloads and retro stuff. In the six months after Tomb Raider was given away, there were only four more retail games offered.

The PS3 started getting retail games with some degree of regularity in about mid-2012, almost six years after the console released, but even then there were still more "small" games than "big" games if that's the terminology people want to use.

Anyone saying that the PS4 offering is crap compared to the PS3 offering is speaking bullshit. You simply can't compare a system in its twilight years with a catalogue of 2,000 games to a new system with a very limited catalogue. If the PS4 offering still has no retail games in two or three years time you might have a point but until then you really have no case at all.

you can't really compare psplus at launch to right now. sony has millions and millions more subscribers to psplus. there's way more money in the pot to play around with now in comparison to before. and besides that, they already offered a retail ps4 game. they clearly have the money and resources to offer older modern AAA games that are currently in the $10-$20 range, the same range that most of the games on psplus launch at.

it's pretty clear, sony is picking the games they are offering because it's cheaper for them. AAA publishers probably want more money for these games.

again, i like a lot of the psplus offerings. i'm just saying that they absolutely should diversify the ps4 offerings to include more AAA, modern 3D titles. especially since the competition seems to be moving in that direction

i don't even know what you're talking about with this. i think people have a very good understanding of what psplus is. you pay a yearly fee. you get online play on ps4. you get games to play on playstations platforms. that's what psplus is.

And that's literally what people get, so if people understood that's what PS+ is they wouldn't be moaning that they don't get more than that.

you can't really compare psplus at launch to right now. sony has millions and millions more subscribers to psplus. there's way more money in the pot to play around with now in comparison to before.

There's not really more money in the pot. With 100 members paying $4 a month or ten million members paying $4 a month, your cost-per-download remains identical.

Top Bottom