• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation studios make the best gameplay/combat

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 116 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 304 72.4%

• Total voters

Vick

Gold Member
Western studios suck at combat.

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. I can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

Now you can come up with an instinctive, defensive rebuttal, or you can take your time to watch this video:

To understand how this combat system works, how it came about, and reasons behind every single choice in it.

Edit:

lol, alright whose alt is this new K kutakuta12 with 0 posts Arnie Graping from the start of the Thread at factual/reasonable posts?

vDDI4fw.gif
u4LuD2e.gif

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
It's one thing to dislike Sony's games.

But to say they lack depth or are barely playable movie games is so retarded to the point of parody.

Some of you aren't this fucking stupid surely?!
Either your

1. Trolling.
2. Haven't played them.
3. A genuine idiot.

If anything it could be argued that they have become to complex or bloated mechanics wise.

E.g. the amount of combat options you have in Horizon Forbidden West in the end game is enormous to the point of being overwhelming. The same is true for Ragnarok to a lesser extent.

Critique them all you like but don't be a fucking moron.
Pretty much, I don't think they have the best Gameplay since that's pretty subjective. Their gameplay is up there with the best though. You see some of the people here who slag them off nominating Hellblade 2 and Pentiment as their GOTY in their respective years and that tells you all you need to know with some and number 1 in your bullet points .

sainraja

I agree with this for TLoU2 (on Grounded), maybe GoW (2018) and Ghost of Tshushima (fun factor) but in general Sony games are not gameplay driven at all, the combat is nothing exemplary, it's just good, polished fun, a visual spectacle and having some of the best animators, the combat is very fluid.

Sony/Playstation crown jewel for combat is TLoU 2 on grounded mode.

Others, however, do not come close to FromSoft titles, Team Ninja's Nioh series, Capcom's RE, Monster Hunter, DMC, Monolith's FEAR & Mordor/War, Techland's Dying Light, most Nintendo Mario/Zelda titles, Kojima's MGSV, DOOM's shooting/gun feel, Titanfall's/CoD's/Battefield's movement and gunplay, Ready or Not's ultra realistic violence, Ubisoft's AC & FC series have better gunplay-freedom-mission-approach than most Sony titles, even Rockstar's decent combat gets elevated due it's grand, intricately designed world.

Hell, indies such as Hollow Knight, Celeste, Neon White, Animal Well, Pizza Tower and many more have unique movements and innovative gameplay.
It simply depends on what someone wants out of a game and if you have to name so many other games and pit them against PS titles to downplay their combat then that should tell you how hollow your argument is to begin with lol (I mean, you are naming games/titles that are not even in the same genre, where the criteria just seems to be that they are not made by Sony).

You want Sony games to have some aspect of all those other games when those other games themselves don't do that lol. I am not going to go into deep analysis here because I don't think Sony games are the best there is, nor do I think the others you've named are the best there is but I will address one game you mentioned and don't get me wrong as I love the series. Resident Evil gameplay/combat is not something I would argue is better than or worse than Sony games. That just makes your argument pretty weak IMO.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Pretty much, I don't think they have the best Gameplay since that's pretty subjective. Their gameplay is up there with the best though. You see some of the people here who slag them off nominating Hellblade 2 and Pentiment as their GOTY in their respective years and that tells you all you need to know with some and number 1 in your bullet points .
I'm probably the only person on this entire site that has said Pentiment and Hellblade 2 are my GOTY and I didn't troll anyone in this thread. I liked Uncharted 4 and played the multiplayer. It is mostly just a standard TPS with a lot of polish, but the rope does a good job of elevating the mobility and level design options. The spectacle setpieces are nuts especially, like the car chase, but I don't really count those as combat gameplay.

Sony is always fine. Ghost is basically a copy of old Assassin's Creed combat from the Ezio era. Spider Man is basically a copy of Arkham combat. I don't think it's the best combat ever, but I haven't trashed it.

I never praised Hellblade 2 or Pentiment for their combat gameplay. Pentiment basically has no gameplay, and Hellblade I always characterized as borderline a new genre that's almost equal parts movie and game like Dragon Lair. In both cases they are weaknesses that are mostly made up for by top tier design in other areas. I certainly didn't make a thread saying Hellblade 2 and Pentiment have the best gameplay in the industry. Way to make up completely fictitious bullshit.

Last edited:

PurePlatinum

Neo Member
Mixed bag - Some of their core combat systems and core mechanics are really good, examples include

+ Horizon's dinosaur combat
+The Last of Us combat
+ Spider-Man has the best traversal of all-time
+ Returnal is the total package of game design
+ Helldivers 2 has the best feeling shooting of any 3rd person shooter I've played in recent memory.

But I think too many of their games are bogged down by boring mechanics that are included to pad-out runtimes.

-Ghost trailing missions
-Horizon climbing/platforming/puzzles/anything that isn't the Dino combat
-Spider-Man Mary Jane missions
- God of War climbing/Traversal

So again, mixed bag. Nobody in PS Studios is close to any of the big Japanese game makers in terms of making games that are fun to play - Examples include

- FROM
- Capcom
- Nintendo
- Platinum

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
I'm probably the only person on this entire site that has said Pentiment and Hellblade 2 are my GOTY and I didn't troll anyone in this thread. I liked Uncharted 4 and played the multiplayer. It is mostly just a standard TPS with a lot of polish, but the rope does a good job of elevating the mobility and level design options. The spectacle setpieces are nuts especially, like the car chase, but I don't really count those as combat gameplay.

Sony is always fine. Ghost is basically a copy of old Assassin's Creed combat from the Ezio era. Spider Man is basically a copy of Arkham combat. I don't think it's the best combat ever, but I haven't trashed it.

I never praised Hellblade 2 or Pentiment for their combat gameplay. Pentiment basically has no gameplay, and Hellblade I always characterized as borderline a new genre that's almost equal parts movie and game like Dragon Lair. In both cases they are weaknesses that are mostly made up for by top tier design in other areas. I certainly didn't make a thread saying Hellblade 2 and Pentiment have the best gameplay in the industry. Way to make up completely fictitious bullshit.

Believe it or not you're not the only one in this thread, let alone this site. I know it's hard to believe but there are plenty of xbox people here who do a fair bit of trolling on PS titles it's not just you. I wasn't referring to you but it's not surprising either that those are your picks too.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Believe it or not you're not the only one in this thread, let alone this site. I know it's hard to believe but there are plenty of xbox people here who do a fair bit of trolling on PS titles it's not just you. I wasn't referring to you but it's not surprising either that those are your picks too.
Who else picked Hellblade 2 or Pentiment as GOTY?

Only person I know of that picked Hellblade 2 so far was Represent. Represent. and he's all about Playstation. I can't think of anyone else that picked Pentiment.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Western studios suck at combat.

This is prime 2003 combat. great example of PAPERWEIGHT combat.

All flash, no substance.

Oh look, a bunch of endless combos that go on forever that enemies don’t even react to. They just float :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Look at that non existent hit reaction. The enemies and weapons may as well be made of paper.

Just trash.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Mixed bag - Some of their core combat systems and core mechanics are really good, examples include

+The Last of Us combat
+ Helldivers 2 has the best feeling shooting of any 3rd person shooter I've played in recent memory.

But I think too many of their games are bogged down by boring mechanics that are included to pad-out runtimes.

-Ghost trailing missions

So again, mixed bag. Nobody in PS Studios is close to any of the big Japanese game makers in terms of making games that are fun to play - Examples include

- FROM
- Capcom
- Nintendo
- Platinum
Fun is completely subjective, people can have more fun riding a horse and hunting animals or roleplaying as a cowboy in rdr2 over the entire output of nintendo or fromsoft and you can't tell them that they are wrongly having fun without looking like the famous meme "stop having fun".

I like heavy, realistic shooters so i'm gonna like tlou2 more than any game made by nintendo just because i like realistic tps over platforms or adventures with kiddy looking combat, so my concept of fun is different from yours.

Some people enjoy animal crossing and some people think it's a retarded non-game for casual players, can you see where i'm going?

Last edited:
Don't blame OP, his taste is a result of design by committee..

I'm eagerly waiting for his next threads "Netflix/Disney/Apple make the best movies", and "McDonalds make the best cuisine".
Now you’re just trying to sound high brow while having no idea what you’re talking about. And you’re also literally the 3rd or 4th person to make that tired ass joke in this thread. At least be original

The combat is done by combat designers who are passionate about gaming and delivering the best experience. They focus test it like every game but just for feedback sake and ultimately do what they think is best. Sony as a publisher generally leaves them alone and gives them near complete creative freedom not just in gameplay but also in story and narrative.

Try again

Last edited:
I do like SOME of their combat systems more than other more acclaimed games, playing at max difficulty help to make them shine, on normal you don't have to engage with all the mechanics (but thati s true for most games).

I don't agree with some games on your list having exceptional combat like the old uncharted, ratchet or even tsushima tbh.

Also, fuck freeflow combat, it's the saving grace of lazy devs who can't come out with a decent, original combat system.
Get out of my thread and never come back thanks :messenger_relieved:

Three

Gold Member
Who else picked Hellblade 2 or Pentiment as GOTY?

Only person I know of that picked Hellblade 2 so far was Represent. Represent. and he's all about Playstation.
Take a look at the xbox regulars instead, not Represent but it starts with R, he had a little singing Rat avatar before. Search for "Redfall is looking like my GOTY" aswell and you'll find another person who champions Hellblade 2 gameplay/combat of all things.

Punished Miku

Take a look at the xbox regulars instead, not Represent but it starts with R, he had a little singing Rat avatar before. Search for "Redfall is looking like my GOTY" aswell and you'll find another person who champions Hellblade 2 gameplay/combat of all things.
I asked a straight forward question and get a riddle instead of a direct answer.

Like I said, bullshit.

Hellblade 2 combat is well done dude.

Its same thing as something like God of War, but reduced down to basics.

Toots

Gold Member
Got to love the people who liked this comment also liking the comment about GaaS games having the best gameplay. As if your Fortnite, Fifa, Minecraft, COD etc aren't the Marvel/Mcdonalds of the gaming software world. Fine cuisine that sure is. Not design by committee at all.
welcome.gif

to the duality of GAF

Now you’re just trying to sound high brow while having no idea what you’re talking about. And you’re also literally the 3rd or 4th person to make that tired ass joke in this thread. At least be original

The combat is done by combat designers who are passionate about gaming and delivering the best experience. They focus test it like every game but just for feedback sake and ultimately do what they think is best. Sony as a publisher generally leaves them alone and gives them near complete creative freedom not just in gameplay but also in story and narrative.

Try again
Im not trying anything im naturally very pedantic :messenger_blowing_kiss:
And since im also extremely childish, for my second try you graciously give me, i wanted to share this pic of you that was already been posted above.

Not very original but oh well, let's do it anyway

pdr5Z27.jpeg

They have no reason to take risks anymore, which is biting them in the ass as seen with Concord. I think that was a good wake up call , though it will probably take a couple more bombs before they start to take risks on more unique things. Helldivers 2 was great, though I don't think anyone was expecting that one to hit like it did.
This is a little bit a lot a contradiction, no? I would argue betting on games like concord, helldivers 2, and fair games (when it releases) IS taking risks for Sony as it deviates for what they would typically release. Even some other first party games they have released I would define as risky. They released multiple 3D platformers on Astrobot and Sackboy's big adventure, in a day and age where platformers don't really sell unless they're named Mario. Bluepoint made a AAA roughlike game, that is 100% a risk. Even something as simple as making the Ghost sequel from sucker punch with a brand new character for a new IP just did fairly well for their first game is a risk.

Not saying you need to be happy with Sonys output and can criticize their first party, or lack thereof, but them playing it safe and not taking risks would be one of the last things I would criticize them for.

Punished Miku

Dude I'm talking about Roberts if I was talking about you specifically then I would just say so.
Well fine, thanks for answering the question. If you have an issue with someone else specific its not my place to really bother with it.

I will just say though that this entire line of "gotcha" is tiresome and ridiculous; as someone who has been constantly attacked in that exact same way, over and over on here. If you just think it through, it's literally illogical. The premise of the argument is that Hellblade 2 is exactly the same as Sony games, so it's illogical to like one and not the other. They are the same. If that was actually true, then literally every single Sony fanboy on this site would not meet your criteria either. All the people trashing Hellblade for not being a real game, all the people trashing the sales and game length, the limited gameplay and cinematic focus, they would all be hypocrites according to you. For some reason literally every single Sony fan on this site but Represent. Represent. treats Hellblade like it's a different thing than a Sony game, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to gotcha someone for also treating them like different things. We could definitely point to many people in this thread who love Sony combat but hated Hellblade and you didn't have a problem with their duality.

This is your thoughts on Sony gameplay.

Three said:
Their gameplay is up there with the best

Do you have the exact same opinion of Hellblade 2? I honestly don't remember what your opinion is on the game. Bringing up Pentiment seemed kind of irrelevant though since it's not even the same genre, so I'll just let it go since this is boring.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Some of the best, maybe. PC versions with mouse and keyboard of Days Gone, TLOU, Horizon's, R&C, U4...

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
The premise of the argument is that Hellblade 2 is exactly the same as Sony games, so it's illogical to like one and not the other. They are the same. If that was actually true, then literally every single Sony fanboy on this site would not meet your criteria either. All the people trashing Hellblade for not being a real game, all the people trashing the sales and game length, the limited gameplay and cinematic focus, they would all be hypocrites according to you.
Robin Williams Omg GIF by Laff

Hellblade 2 the "exact same" as Metroidvania 20 times the lenght, open world games, and linear ND titles with open wide levels you drive vehicles in deciding how and if approach given encouters?

Christ.. Thread keeps delivering at an overwhelming rate.

Only game that would fit within your ludicrous description is The Order: 1886. A game panned by critics and rejected by gamers.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

- FROM
- Capcom
- Nintendo
- Platinum
I feel like Platinum is riding off reputation here. Vanquish came out a long time ago. The combat in these games we are talking about is way better than NIER Automata for example, which plays kind of crap but works because of story/2B's posterior/setting.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Robin Williams Omg GIF by Laff

Hellblade 2 the "exact same" as Metroidvania 20 times the lenght, open world games, and linear ND titles with open wide levels you drive vehicles in deciding how and if approach given encouters?

Jesus.. Thread keeps delivering.

Only game that would fit within your ludicrous description is The Order: 1886. A game panned by critics and rejected by gamers.
I'm not the one that thinks they're the same. T Three thinks they're so similar that he wants to call out people for liking one and daring to not like the other. That's the discussion T Three brought up and you gave it a thumbs up. Did you even understand what you liked in that post?

I agree that the Order is about the only thing similar to Hellblade. That's not what you just hit thumbs up on. I went even further said it has faint reminders of Dragon's Lair.

Last edited:

PurePlatinum

Neo Member
I feel like Platinum is riding off reputation here. Vanquish came out a long time ago. The combat in these games we are talking about is way better than NIER Automata for example, which plays kind of crap but works because of story/2B's posterior/setting.
Bayo+W101+MG_Rising = 3 of the best character action games ever.

But yes I agree Nier's combat is mid, and Platinum hasn't put out a really banger in a long time (Sol Cresta is good tho)

Vick

Gold Member
I'm not the one that thinks they're the same. T Three thinks they're so similar that he wants to call out people for liking one and daring to not like the other. That's the discussion T Three brought up and you gave it a thumbs up. Did you even understand what you liked in that post?

I agree that the Order is about the only thing similar to Hellblade. That's not what you just hit thumbs up on.
I can only assume you're referring to this post I "liked":

You see some of the people here who slag them off nominating Hellblade 2 and Pentiment as their GOTY in their respective years and that tells you all you need to know with some and number 1 in your bullet points .

Which I thought effectively highlighted how disingenuous it would be to classify "Sony games" as cinematic and shallow, only to list Hellblade 2 and Pentiment as their GotY.
Not seeing what you're seeing.

Punished Miku

I can only assume you're referring to this post I "liked":

Which I thought effectively highlighted how disingenuous it would be to classify "Sony games" as cinematic and shallow, only to list Hellblade 2 and Pentiment as their GotY.
Not seeing what you're seeing.
Well we're apparently talking about one person in particular, and he didn't call them cinematic and shallow. He compared them to Marvel movies and said he doesn't think it's the best combat gameplay ever.

Anyway, this is stupid. Just tired of people lying. So annoying. I'm done with this thread.

Vick

Gold Member
Well we're apparently talking about one person in particular, and he didn't call them cinematic and shallow. He compared them to Marvel movies and said he doesn't think it's the best combat gameplay ever.

Anyway, this is stupid. Just tired of people lying. So annoying. I'm done with this thread.
Well if I misunderstood your post I apologize.
I wasn't really following the whole Cluedo/Guess Who? you guys were playing so when I've read "exactly the same" I simply had a stroke.

Three

Gold Member

Your search skills are letting you down, he called the OPs opinion a joke. What do you think he's referring to with the Marvel movies quip too?

Crayon

I just realized when I answered yesterday I unconsciously excluded japanese games lol. I consider the best gameplay design there to be not even comparable.

Three

Gold Member
Well fine, thanks for answering the question. If you have an issue with someone else specific its not my place to really bother with it.

I will just say though that this entire line of "gotcha" is tiresome and ridiculous; as someone who has been constantly attacked in that exact same way, over and over on here. If you just think it through, it's literally illogical. The premise of the argument is that Hellblade 2 is exactly the same as Sony games, so it's illogical to like one and not the other. They are the same. If that was actually true, then literally every single Sony fanboy on this site would not meet your criteria either. All the people trashing Hellblade for not being a real game, all the people trashing the sales and game length, the limited gameplay and cinematic focus, they would all be hypocrites according to you. For some reason literally every single Sony fan on this site but Represent. Represent. treats Hellblade like it's a different thing than a Sony game, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to gotcha someone for also treating them like different things. We could definitely point to many people in this thread who love Sony combat but hated Hellblade and you didn't have a problem with their duality.
Represent. Represent. is as you called him a 'Playstation guy' and he's genuine and consistent for his love of great graphics at 30fps and doesn't dismiss games as cinematic, he has no bias with that whether it's a PS game or somebody elses game. Having said that I didn't say playstation fanboys dont exist either so if you see some hypocritical takes somewhere then by all means point them out too. All I'm saying is that there are at least 3 people I know in this thread who slag off "cinematic Sony games" then go on to praise MS games that have far less gameplay such as Hellblade 2. I don't think that stuff is coming from a want of genuine discussion in good faith.
This is your thoughts on Sony gameplay. Do you have the exact same opinion of Hellblade 2? I honestly don't remember what your opinion is on the game. Bringing up Pentiment seemed kind of irrelevant though since it's not even the same genre, so I'll just let it go since this is boring.
For Hellblade 2 and Pentiment in particular? No. I don't think the gameplay is particularly deep or meaningful, but other MS games? Sure they have good gameplay. Pentiment is also like a choose your own adventure so skill based gameplay is not really existent at all and I would say lower than something like Detroit: BH in terms of "gameplay" but it doesn't mean they weren't fun. You don't see many people slagging off one side about "why don't you just make a documentary /movie instead of a game" though.

Last edited:

PJX

No it isn't. This is a combat Thread. If anything, you should provide examples of better combat found in Xbox games than what OP listed. But before citing Hellblade 2 or Starfield, you would first need to have an idea of what they're up against.

Are you stupid?

Vick

Gold Member
Are you stupid?
Butthurt over God of War shitty combat? LOL man you are full of yourself. Go take some laxative and remove all that shit that's in your body.
That's a shit take. You can get inspired by any aspect of a game. I can tell you he surely wasn't inspired by God of War shit combat.
Looks like a perfectly stable and mature individual with plenty to offer in a debate.

Maybe the Hellblade 2 third-person cinematic story-driven game previously mentioned in the Thread wasn’t the best example. Should have gone with other notable Microsoft’s exclusive games featuring some form of third person combat, like.. like..
Gears 5 I guess, if only I hadn’t already analyzed and compared the series with Uncharted in the previous pages.

Metal Gear Solid imo is an overrated series made by an overrated game director who couldn't make it in the movie industry.
Silent Hill is a shit Resident Evil
An enviable taste as well. Can’t really wait to dive into this promising discussion.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

high quality GIF

That became the way to describe those narrative driven game structures.. and excluding their free-roams and metroidvanias it's hard to say the term doesn't suit them.

And it really doesn't help, and why in the previous post I've said that if the entirety of GoW post 2018 was Valhalla mode, if the entirety of TLOU was No Return/Factions, if the entirety of Uncharted 4 was its competitive Multiplayer still played after 8 years, the whole discussion about these games combat would be entirely different even in a place like GAF.
I dunno it's a bit vague by definition and I don't like how it's throw around as a pejorative at some studios but not others despite having very similar games.

E.g. the resident evil and final fantasy series are very similar to a lot of Sony first party studios. High production values, cutscenes, lots of dialogue very story driven but they almost never get that label.

I think story or narrative driven is a better term to describe them

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The thing with fanboys is that they never understand that simply being good is OK. Not everything needs to be the best, and Sony is far from being the best.

No company is “always the best” at every single thing, but the counter to this thread is always listing some developer as if they too don’t have variability and pros/cons.

In aggregate though Sony first party gameplay is of extremely high quality and polish

+The Last of Us combat

-Ghost trailing missions

- FROM
- Capcom
- Nintendo
- Platinum

Err Astrobot exists and it's likely game of the year and more "fun" than anything those guys have spawned in last 5 years

yogaflame

Stellar blade as a very good gameplay especially the combat are superb. Sony help Shift up in the development of the game so technically they are like a Sony studio production.

Yoboman

+The Last of Us combat

-Ghost trailing missions

- FROM
- Capcom
- Nintendo
- Platinum
Like From Software, Capcom and Platinum games don't have questionably bad aspects (eg platforming, puzzles) when you start from the core gameplay loop.

Top Bottom