• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation studios make the best gameplay/combat

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 116 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 304 72.4%

• Total voters
No company is “always the best” at every single thing, but the counter to this thread is always listing some developer as if they too don’t have variability and pros/cons.

In aggregate though Sony first party gameplay is of extremely high quality and polish
Sony gameplay is largely lowest common denominator. The only recent game I can think of that excelled is the online in UC4 and overall combat options in TLOUII. Even PS3 was home to some great games with mediocre gameplay. Only thing Sony has improved is their motion capture studio.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Sony gameplay is largely lowest common denominator. The only recent game I can think of that excelled is the online in UC4 and overall combat options in TLOUII. Even PS3 was home to some great games with mediocre gameplay. Only thing Sony has improved is their motion capture studio.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Vick

Gold Member
I dunno it's a bit vague by definition and I don't like how it's throw around as a pejorative at some studios but not others despite having very similar games.

E.g. the resident evil and final fantasy series are very similar to a lot of Sony first party studios. High production values, cutscenes, lots of dialogue very story driven but they almost never get that label.

I think story or narrative driven is a better term to describe them
I agree, but there is still a difference I feel should be worth outlining between something like Uncharted 4 and God of War 2018 for example.
Both are linear games, both are "cinematic", both have superb mechanics (even though GoW offers much, much more for dedicated players willing to learn and master it), but one is an old-school, competent video game with genuine discovery, exploration, a learning curve, and meaningful and transformative progression, the other is almost an interactive movie for huge chunks of it.

Are they both "narrative driven games"? Technically yes, but they’re such drastically different experiences for long stretches that lumping the two in the same category feels simply wrong. I feel "cinematic" works and suits Uncharted 4, but not GoW.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, is an extremely bizzarre case. At times it can be an absolutely S-Tier game, I find the whole Crater area to be legit pinnacle videogames, but it unfortunately borrowed too much from ND in the main campaign, a choice I hated with burning passion, without possessing the talent to make limited and linear sections feel bearable due to visual feedback, pacing and high quality performances and whatnot. This extreme imbalance made it a Frankenstein of a game I feel no desire to replay, because if it's true I consider the Crater to be peak gaming, Ironwood is the literal exact opposite and something I would never, ever go through again.

As for Resident Evil games being similar, well it depends. Except for the linear ones like RE5 or RE6 or RE3R, not really similar to ND games as most have hub-like structures and a Metroidvania progression for most of the game, akin more to GoW.

Maybe if you're a kid or casual who finds the peak of gaming fucking JUMPING
To some, peak gaming is button mashing in memorized order making flashy numbers appear on screen while your enemy juggles in the air.

To others it's Mario/AstroBot kind of games instead, many consider Souls games to be it. What is it to you?

Last edited:

Crayon

Stellar blade as a very good gameplay especially the combat are superb. Sony help Shift up in the development of the game so technically they are like a Sony studio production.

I wouldn't say superb, but more than competent and shits all over most western aaa's.

Importantly though, I think god of war's combat is equally good in concept and execution. They really surprised me on that because I just don't expect too much from blockbuster games in that department. So that's sayin something.

For reference on where I am- Neither of those systems are better than monster hunter or ff7. While assasin's creed or witcher are laughable in comparison.

FromSoft games do not have good combat, they have good combat encounters which is a different thing. In fact those games are extremely janky with limited mechanics. People love them for other reasons but combat mechanics is something this series has issues with

Same with MonsterHunter and RE - why are these games listed as top tier combat? They are not.

Zelda has never had good combat either, and it’s non existent in Mario.
My comment wasn’t for combat only, it was for gameplay driven games.

I don’t get how you couldn’t get this as I have literally written Animal Well & Celeste as examples, which do not have combat but really tight gameplay or experimentation as gameplay.

I agree, but there is still a difference I feel should be worth outlining between something like Uncharted 4 and God of War 2018 for example.
Both are linear games, both are "cinematic", both have superb mechanics (even though GoW offers much, much more for dedicated players willing to learn and master it), but one is an old-school, competent video game with genuine discovery, exploration, a learning curve, and meaningful and transformative progression, the other is almost an interactive movie for huge chunks of it.

Are they both "narrative driven games"? Technically yes, but they’re such drastically different experiences for long stretches that lumping the two in the same category feels simply wrong. I feel "cinematic" works and suits Uncharted 4, but not GoW.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, is an extremely bizzarre case. At times it can be an absolutely S-Tier game, I find the whole Crater area to be legit pinnacle videogames, but it unfortunately borrowed too much from ND in the main campaign, a choice I hated with burning passion, without possessing the talent to make limited and linear sections feel bearable due to visual feedback, pacing and high quality performances and whatnot. This extreme imbalance made it a Frankenstein of a game I feel no desire to replay, because if it's true I consider the Crater to be peak gaming, Ironwood is the literal exact opposite and something I would never, ever go through again.

As for Resident Evil games being similar, well it depends. Except for the linear ones like RE5 or RE6 or RE3R, not really similar to ND games as most have hub-like structures and a Metroidvania progression for most of the game, akin more to GoW.

To some, peak gaming is button mashing in memorized order making flashy numbers appear on screen while your enemy juggles in the air.

To others it's Mario/AstroBot kind of games instead, many consider Souls games to be it. What is it to you?
To be fair Uncharted 4 does become an interactive film in parts of the game. But that's the exception not the rule and likely a result of troubled development.

I think the infamous Ironwood section drags mainly because we control Atreus for far too long. There's alot of combat in that section but Atreus is Soooooo much less satisfying than Kratos to fight with.

If we had control of Kratos for that section I think it would have got a lot less hate. It had a cool Boss fight at the end though!

yogaflame

I wouldn't say superb, but more than competent and shits all over most western aaa's.

Importantly though, I think god of war's combat is equally good in concept and execution. They really surprised me on that because I just don't expect too much from blockbuster games in that department. So that's sayin something.

For reference on where I am- Neither of those systems are better than monster hunter or ff7. While assasin's creed or witcher are laughable in comparison.
I loved how Stellar blade made the combat enjoyable and challenging. It is like a hybrid combat system; Sekiro and Soul game with a mix of devil may cry and Bayonetta. Not as tough as soul game but still challenging and enjoyable.

About God of war. I agree, but for me the God of war 1-3 are the best and most challenging and enjoyable.

It is what it is.

To be clear, I don't think Sony makes terrible games, far from it. Most of their games are LCD though, thats not a controversial statement. LCD is never going to be the best because by its nature, its going to be a relatively shallow and approachable experience. Most things are LCD, I like LCD games, movies, etc. I'm not saying it's inherently bad.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It is what it is.

To be clear, I don't think Sony makes terrible games, far from it. Most of their games are LCD though, thats not a controversial statement. LCD is never going to be the best because by its nature, its going to be a relatively shallow and approachable experience. Most things are LCD, I like LCD games, movies, etc. I'm not saying it's inherently bad.

what Sony games have is scalability, those titles have deep mechanics that can be made more challenging, there’s nothing shallow about GoW, Returnal, TLOU, etc

Many of their games require far more dexterity than others that get put on a pedestal

PJX

Looks like a perfectly stable and mature individual with plenty to offer in a debate.

Maybe the Hellblade 2 third-person cinematic story-driven game previously mentioned in the Thread wasn’t the best example. Should have gone with other notable Microsoft’s exclusive games featuring some form of third person combat, like.. like..
Gears 5 I guess, if only I hadn’t already analyzed and compared the series with Uncharted in the previous pages.

An enviable taste as well. Can’t really wait to dive into this promising discussion.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF
Ok you learned how to search someone's history. Want a cookie?

Point was how is he going to say combat isn't gameplay?

Is combat not a major aspect of gameplay for majority of games? Yes or no?

Last edited:
I love my sony cinematic games but no.

I couldnt get through Tsushima (gonna try again later next year before Yotei comes out) because a year prior I was deflecting shit like the coolest fucking samurai ever with Sekiro.

Tlou 2 is aces against humans but the infected are not as fun to fight as the best resident evils.

Gow 2018 and Ragnarok I love but cant compare gameplay wise to the best souls game or even the Bayonetta series. Even Stellar Blade I feel has better combat than gow.

Kokoloko85

It is what it is.

Maybe give some examples of better combat and gameplay in your opinion?

It is what it is.

“LCD”?

diffusionx

Gold Member
It is what it is.

this just isn't true. You can turn on game journalist mode of you want but a game like Ragnarok or Horizon has depth and challenge if you want it. And nothing about say Returnal is what you describe. Even a game like Sackboy has some bite if you want to go for all the collectibles.

It's like there are the Sony games that exist, and then the idea that people have of them in their head, and they are two different games.

Last edited:

Romulus

Considering the incredible amount of money poured into these franchises, I'd say the combat for Sony franchises is fine. Nothing crazy good but what you would expect.

I think the original batman arkham games still feel better from 15 years ago.

Aldric

List of devs that make games with deeper gameplay and better combat than Sony's first party studios:

-Capcom
-Konami
-Koei Tecmo
-Bandai Namco
-Platinum Games
-Nihon Falcom
-Nintendo
-Treasure
-Sega
-Atlus
-SNK
-Vanillaware

List of devs that make games with shallower gameplay and worse combat than Sony's first party studios:

-Bethesda

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

lol sounds like another sony thread. their games are so overrated jesus. only one i could finish was demons souls...horizon saga is ridiculously boring and dull, god of war games are repetitive and linear, uncharted...pfff....so many wrongs in the OP

Aldric

Finally read the entire thread and predictably it's a shitshow.

The problem with a lot of Playstation enthusiasts that are trying to convince people that Sony are the best at everything including gameplay mechanics and combat systems is that they never really explain why and instead post endless twitter gifs and youtube vids of some sort of half assed attempt at doing a combo video in Horizon or one of the lesbians in TloU slaughtering hapless bystanders and we're supposed to agree without thinking too hard about it.

Take the claim that Sony's gameplay is the best because "it looks like you're playing a cinematic". Why is that a good thing? You could argue that a game feeling cinematic means that the animations aren't as snappy as something that isn't concerned about that and that it therefore negatively impacts feedback by making the game feel sluggish and not as responsive as a more arcade type of game. You could also say that the emphasis on cinematic presentation removes control from the player and turns interaction into an overly simplified contextual affair where you press a button and you then watch a micro cutscene happen, which is definitely something that plagues a lot of Sony's first party games like GoW or Naughty Dog titles.

So what are we even talking about here? Animation quality, feedback, depth, the amount of options at your disposal and how they synergize with eachother, the variety of gameplay scenarios, the complexity of execution and the skill ceiling associated with it? Based on these standards I don't see how anyone can argue any Sony first party game is among the best in the industry, let alone at the very top.

Just look at Astrobot: it is undeniably a very shallow game mechanically and anyone who knows anything about 3D platformers would understand that. It has three core gameplay mechanics, a basic jump, a punch/spin attack and a hover and that's it. None of these things have any deeper applications than their basic functions, you can't mix and match them to get different results and open up new routes through the levels or anything like that. Compare to 3D Mario games and it's day and night, Odyssey in contrast has 8 different type of basic jumps, dives, rolls, a bunch of different cap throws and then of course all the advanced stuff used in Koopa freerunning leaderboards and speedruns like instant roll cancels, dive vaults, vectoring, buffered spinjump groundpounds etc.

So yeah the only thing this kind of thread ends up doing is confirming a lot of modern Sony fans know very little about videogames and don't really understand what the fundamental appeal of the media is. Which makes sense as if they did they wouldn't be modern Sony fans in the first place.

Rising_Hei

That was half true... in the PS4 era.
I dislike that they tend to streamline and simplify everything too much.
Spiderman, for example, bored me to death and I ended up selling it; and navigating through New York wasn't fun; yes, it looks incredible, but that's everything it had to offer, IMO.

Last edited:

Alex11

I don't think so, they are very polished and high quality games but that does not equal best gameplay.
One PS game I would say has this amazing gameplay, and I see it underestimated, don't know why, Returnal.

I'm playing GOW:Ragnarok now on PC and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but at this point I don't think it's me.
Combat in the story is easy, but then you get to that bitch Valkyrie and it's like I'm playing with one hand tied behind my back.
I've died 25 times at this point to her, not counting restarts, last time a boss wiped the floor like that with me was Isshin in Sekiro and there it was understandable, here it isn't.

This isn't good gameplay, nothing in the game prepared me for this, it was just, bam, surprise MF and it was the same thing in GOW 2018.

There a lot of game games with better gameplay/combat:
- Soulsborne series, Sekiro, Elden Ring, no explanation needed.
- Dishonored series with a myriad of ways to kill and the level design.
- Mirrors's Edge with its simplistic and fun run system.
- Doom 2016, that pace and feeling of shooting stuff is just unmatched.
- NIER Automata, damn what a game, with those endings and combat and how you learned the skills.
- Batman Arkham series

And I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of amazing examples and also from RTS or turn-based games.

I'm not even gonna mention much older games as it's going to be just sad.

Yoboman

I loved how Stellar blade made the combat enjoyable and challenging. It is like a hybrid combat system; Sekiro and Soul game with a mix of devil may cry and Bayonetta. Not as tough as soul game but still challenging and enjoyable.

About God of war. I agree, but for me the God of war 1-3 are the best and most challenging and enjoyable.
In what world was God of War 1-3 challenging

They were specifically designed to be easy especially 1-2

This rewriting of history when it comes to GOW is always hilarious to me

CashPrizes

I tentatively agree. I love Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima combat.
Horizon a little less, a lot of the weapons feel useless. I platinumed both games and spent extra time to unlock the uber weapons in each category. There were like 10-12 weapon types in Horizon and I only ever used 3 (short bow, Long bow, and bola for elemental types) and then the heavy hitting shotgun thing very occasionally.
God of War does have great combat but I found it very samey.

Witcher 3 properly modded has pretty fantastic combat. I think both the Resident Evil Remakes and Village have great combat. Capcom is doing good things across the board.

Dead Cells and Hollow Knight have my favorite 2d combat.

Unpopular Opinion, but Mass Effect Andromeda has really great combat as well.

Last edited:
if you don't like Sony games (and most likely never played one) and keep posting the exact same things (walking simulator, cinematographic experience with no gameplay) for the last 20 years (dammed, those old men yelling), honestly...

boYsIFI-898f.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom