• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed PSVR supports full RGB but it doesn't work on "automatic". I need to set it to Full manually. This works in both the headset and normal play through the PU.

So what, exactly does the PU limit in terms of IQ? I don't have 4k or HDR so I'm assuming the swap will only be needed to bypass the PU for 4k/HDR and 1080/non-HDR is business as usual?

I just noticed PSVR supports full RGB but it doesn't work on "automatic". I need to set it to Full manually. This works in both the headset and normal play through the PU.

So what, exactly does the PU limit in terms of IQ? I don't have 4k or HDR so I'm assuming the swap will only be needed to bypass the PU for 4k/HDR and 1080/non-HDR is business as usual?

So wait...should I have full RGB set? Is it better? Help!

*Splinter

I heard the PSVR prices have gone up due to demand. Sure enough, on Amazon UK it's gone from £349 to £434! I also heard it's expected to approach £1k... Ok that seems nonsense, any ideas in here? I couldn't see any GAF threads about PSVR sales or price.

I'm sure that the lenses are probably the best there is but the quality of the glass or if it's plastic maybe a protector on there would help.
But I've only had mine a week, how will they look in a year?

The clear plastic that covers the lenses left scratch marks on mine when i first peeled them off so....somethings up there =/

Lord Phol

Oh man, just watched through Super Best Friends PSVR Launch stream on youtube and it's definitely sold me more on PSVR than anything else so far. They were just having such a great time and the games actually looked fun (Rez, Until Dawn, Rigs, Thumper all look super fun). Also didn't see them having any big issue with motion-sickness or tracking which was nice. I've been hyped for VR a long time, but it kind of died down once stuff started releasing for some reason. Might be the pricing which hasn't let me actually get into it yet. PSVR is still very pricy but it looks like a well worth investment. Only thing I'm a bit sceptical about is the PS Pro support. Really don't want to fork out money for one of those things.

I heard the PSVR prices have gone up due to demand. Sure enough, on Amazon UK it's gone from £349 to £434! I also heard it's expected to approach £1k... Ok that seems nonsense, any ideas in here? I couldn't see any GAF threads about PSVR sales or price.

It's due to third party resellers taking advantage of low supply. I was walking past a CEX yesterday and they had one in the window for £600.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
iirc, i think that´s lvl 19:
you have to use the wooden plank vertically as the piece to get you to the required height.

just rotate so the moving blocks go towards/away from you
put 2 big blocks on the floor next to that middle thing on top of each other
put the small metal one on the platform in the middle
use the 3rd big block to create a gap between itself and the metal block and fit the wooden plank in there vertically.

OMG I didn't even think of that. I need to start thinking in 3D...

So wait...should I have full RGB set? Is it better? Help!
If your TV supports full RGB, then yes, it's better. You will need to recalibrate.

For PSVR instantly blacks became more black, especially in Until Dawn. Not surprising given the screen, I just had no idea the system reverted to Automatic - which never worked for me so I have to manually set it to Full RGB.

More than likely this was due to the HDR system update?

Revo_zero

I got PSVR at launch and completely fell in love, but man, the screen drift is really ruining the experience for me, ive tried everything, sitting closer, in the dark, calibrating, sitting on the left hand side of the camera and all i get is constant screen drift to right and left :sigh:

If Ocean Descent was scary for you there's a 360 3D video of real sharks swimming around in this app called Vrideo you can get at the PStore. I'm very afraid of fish IRL but I was able to do Descent without much problem. That video as a bit scarier though. Of all the games you mentioned Kitchen was the scariest, but overall it's still something like a 3-4 out of 10 in the scare meter.
Oh wow...I didn't know the video stuff was up already, will check it out tonight

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Nope. That's not sold by Sony. That's sold by a scalper company fulfilled by Amazon.
Current PSVR are out of stock.

Maligna

Banned
I got PSVR at launch and completely fell in love, but man, the screen drift is really ruining the experience for me, ive tried everything, sitting closer, in the dark, calibrating, sitting on the left hand side of the camera and all i get is constant screen drift to right and left :sigh:

Feel really lucky I have never had this problem. Hope Sony addresses it for people somehow.

Moreche

When I play Waywad Sky the controller drifts forward and back and the only way to fix it s sit about 3 feet from the camera.
Personally the more I spend time using PSVR the more it's faults are turning me off.

Ozorov

When I play Waywad Sky the controller drifts forward and back and the only way to fix it s sit about 3 feet from the camera.
Personally the more I spend time using PSVR the more it's faults are turning me off.
I hope we will get some update regarding the driftning from Sony soon-isch. If there will be a patch etc

Orcastar

I just fired up Thumper, looked down at the virtual controller in the main menu and immediately noticed that it was slowly rotating to the left, even though I was holding the actual controller completely still... If Sony don't fix the whole tracking/drift issue soon, I'll most likely be returning my PSVR, no matter how much fun I've had with it so far.

Maligna

Banned
I did have some tracking issues on my controller yesterday. Turned on the PlayStation Camera view to see if I could figure out what the problem was.

Turns out the controller light was reflected on my coffee table, causing it to be doubled in the camera's view. Moving the table fixed it.

I just fired up Thumper, looked down at the virtual controller in the main menu and immediately noticed that it was slowly rotating to the left, even though I was holding the actual controller completely still... If Sony don't fix the whole tracking/drift issue soon, I'll most likely be returning my PSVR, no matter how much fun I've had with it so far.

Don't the new controllers that come with the slim have bigger/more visible lights on them to combat this problem?

So I can't record the cinema screen since the social screen on the OS is like it always is - but I believe the video recording feature on the PS4 records the eye view? Either way, starting with Until Dawn since that is where I have experienced the most drift in the past.

I'll be running a series of tests at 5.5 feet to start, one with ONLY the headset visible to the camera and the other with a controller visible.

I'm recording both the social screen and the room so you can watch the headset as it is propped up and repeat thr process with a controller visible in both frames for follow up tests.

I've noticed in cockpit games where there is no controller visible in frame (where you don't need them like Battlezone and Eve) there is no drift, no pulsing, no swimming, etc - head tracking is flawless.

Controller wonkyness is far worse than headset wonkyness. Mine has been solid when playing most sitting games.

Whenever I first start up a game that uses Move or the Dualshock, I give the controllers a rattle at the start to get the gyros back into position. After that they are good for however long I play.

Guys my sound out of the tv doesn't work and I can't figure out why... Worked last night, woke up this morning it's not working.

I switched the TV to PSVR input, nothing. Wii U outputs just fine. The headset is off and there no sound anywhere. Is the breakout box doing this? Wat dafuq?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
One round of DC broke my dad. He felt miserable for an hour. I still get dizzy playing it, all the other Demos i tried are fine. Will i ever get used to this? DC imo is the best game of the bunch i tried.

Maligna

Banned
Guys my sound out of the tv doesn't work and I can't figure out why... Worked last night, woke up this morning it's not working.

I switched the TV to PSVR input, nothing. Wii U outputs just fine. The headset is off and there no sound anywhere. Is the breakout box doing this? Wat dafuq?

Hmm that's a new one to me...

Phaenos

I see a lot of consistent evidence of left drift while reading through this thread, but my experience is almost exclusively a drift to the RIGHT. It doesn't seems to matter if I sit center, left or right of the camera, I get a consistent and persistent drift to the right. I know there's no sure fix for the issue as its widespread and probably software related...any idea why my experiences might be so atypical of most others though?

Drem

Neo Member
Do the PS4 cameras that come with the PSVR have any kind of gyros in them that can break?

My PSVR worked completely fine without any issues others here have been having up until my friend knocked the camera off the TV onto a hardwood floor. From then on all games have appearing tilted to the left such that have to cock my head on its side to align it with the screen (however the PS4 home screen still looks straight). When looking through the regular camera view during calibrations and whatnot the camera view looks okay as far as I can tell but for some reason ever since then I've never gotten a game to not be tilted left no matter what room I used the PSVR in or how many times I re-do calibrations in the Device settings.

I'm not sure if this is just coincidence that it started when the camera fell or if its possible something in the camera broke that I just can't tell.

Z3M0G

When we say "drift" do we mean the swaying forward/back thing, or where everything slowly drifts to the left and you can't re-center, forcing you to turn your chair to re-allign everything?

I suspect we are overlapping two different conversations.

Moreche

I've just started an Amazon return and I'll be sending it back for a refund tomorrow.
The drift and tracking of the controller with the fact that I need to run the PU when playing is just to much.

2 Tests down and i'll be setting more up in a few at 8 feet. You can open up the images in separate tabs to snap back and forth and look at any differences.

Test 1 is at 5.5 feet with no controller in the camera's line of sight. First pic is at 0 timestamp, the next is at 15 minutes in:
http://stuff.absinthegames.com/psvrDriftTest/psvrDriftTest_noController_1.jpg
http://stuff.absinthegames.com/psvrDriftTest/psvrDriftTest_noController_2.jpg

Same as above, this time with a controller below the HMD:
http://stuff.absinthegames.com/psvrDriftTest/psvrDriftTest_Controller_1.jpg
http://stuff.absinthegames.com/psvrDriftTest/psvrDriftTest_Controller_2.jpg

If the tests work the same at 8 feet, I suspect the drift is caused by the gyros during play as you move your head around. There is no difference from start to finish, no movement, no pulsing in/out, nothing. Still as can be.

I see a lot of consistent evidence of left drift while reading through this thread, but my experience is almost exclusively a drift to the RIGHT. It doesn't seems to matter if I sit center, left or right of the camera, I get a consistent and persistent drift to the right. I know there's no sure fix for the issue as its widespread and probably software related...any idea why my experiences might be so atypical of most others though?

I had left drift the first time I used it, when I did plug and play for the first time. I then set everything properly in the evening of the launch day and haven't had a single problem since. I move my camera around regular, use it above head height, below head height and at head height and in all lighting conditions and distances. Only time I have a problem is if direct sunlight hits the camera and then it goes crazy but it isn't drift or swimming. Never had the swimming effect myself either.

Revo_zero

I had left drift the first time I used it, when I did plug and play for the first time. I then set everything properly in the evening of the launch day and haven't had a single problem since. I move my camera around regular, use it above head height, below head height and at head height and in all lighting conditions and distances. Only time I have a problem is if direct sunlight hits the camera and then it goes crazy but it isn't drift or swimming. Never had the swimming effect myself either.

see i did this and still get drift, its so infuriating as it take me right out, i love VR so much but the drift is really ruining it, i just wish Sony would at least acknowledge it as it would happily wait for a patch or firmware update (if its possible) but at the moment im close to returning it :(

Ozorov

2 Tests down and i'll be setting more up in a few at 8 feet. You can open up the images in separate tabs to snap back and forth and look at any differences.

Test 1 is at 5.5 feet with no controller in the camera's line of sight. First pic is at 0 timestamp, the next is at 15 minutes in:

If the tests work the same at 8 feet, I suspect the drift is caused by the gyros during play as you move your head around. There is no difference from start to finish, no movement, no pulsing in/out, nothing. Still as can be.

So the gyros in the controller and the gyro in the headset is interfering with each other?

Soi-Fong

Man... I just can't get tired of Rigs... Soo freaking good!!

Semi finals of the tourney and I'm facing all 3-star opponents. This will be interesring. Haha

Haint

I've got 2 units and on the same set up (just swapping out the PU and HMD) they both drift left. One definitely seems to drift more and faster than the other though. Personally I think they've got some borked IMU's in the headsets. Both of these are going back.

Phaenos

When we say "drift" do we mean the swaying forward/back thing, or where everything slowly drifts to the left and you can't re-center, forcing you to turn your chair to re-allign everything?

I suspect we are overlapping two different conversations.

I'll use thumper as an example. When playing thumper, the track for me, over time drifts to the right to where eventually I have to turn my head 45 degrees away from the camera to the right for the track to be centered for me. It doesn't matter where my seated position is in relation to the camera. My virtual controller also rotates to the right. Holding the options button re centers the controller, but not the game world. This is what I'm referring to as "right drift". This happens in nearly every game I play. I very rarely get any world wobble of any kind.

It's strange because unlike other games, thumper is not one that requires you to move your head around a bunch and shouldn't theoretically cause gyros to go crazy with time.

I have no frame of reference here, but I've no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing in these pictures. They look the same to me :(

Man... I just can't get tired of Rigs... Soo freaking good!!

Semi finals of the tourney and I'm facing all 3-star opponents. This will be interesring. Haha

I keep getting destroyed in the semi's

Went online for the 1st time last night (thought I best get some practise in for beat the devs) and it was amazing. I did far better then ever before in any MP game. Played 10 won 10, mvp a few times too. Ended one powerslam match with 7 goals and 21 kills which I was impressed with. Can only think head tracking/aiming is the key for me as on right stick I'm sure I would suck

Mula

Pretty sure the gyros over or under reacts to the head movement in one direction. Drift is not caused by the camera. I hope this can be fixed with better calibration Tools.

Is Dreams going to be the perfect VR Game?

Wonder why we haven't seen any of it in so long. Game seems to be forgotten.

I don't know if that will ever come out for VR. It's honestly pushing base PS4 to even hit 30fps. I could see a hyper paired down version maybe? But the rendering tech along with all the other ambitious stuff going on is like asking for Uncharted 4 to run in VR. Still, I'll play the hell out of Dreams even without VR!

I've been trying out some PS4 games in theatre mode today and noticed it's pretty case-by-case, there's always gonna be a res drop but the giant projector effect is cool and some just work better than others. Particularly first person, or older games (esp. 2D) work pretty well. Anyone got any recommendations? These are the ones I tried:

GTAV - pretty good, especially in first person.

TLOU - Bad, all the camera movement makes the game a little disorientating and it all looks a little washed out.

Alien Isolation - really liked this, got quite absorbed into it, visuals sort of hold up and even the giant screen wasn't too bad.

Binding of Isaac - good, totally workable.

Oddworld New n' Tasty - really good, a perfectly decent alternative.

Day of the Tentacle remastered - GREAT because of the stylised graphics.

Dark Souls III and Bloodborne - Not really, graphics are too busy, wouldn't recommend.

No Man's Sky - good, headset play actually suits this game a fair bit.

Final Fantasy VII - actually great, just like playing FFVII on a cinema screen.

The vast majority of these I used the middle screen size option.

Had the same thing .Disconnected al cables, waited a few minutes, rebooted PS4 and it worked.

Having other issues now.... My receiver won't play DTS and Dolby Digital anymore...until I restart. When I start the PS4 everything works fine, but after a few minutes Dolby Digital and DTS are gone....until I restart etc. Connected via Optical.

Seems like it's time for a PSVR patch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is amazing... I was born with strabismic amblyopia with dipolopia aka "crossed" or "lazy" eye with constant, offset double-vision. In high school I did some strengthening therapy that straightened my eyes to make them appear uncrossed, but the condition itself was never corrected so I've just learned to live with it in my life. As a result of this I have no depth perception or stereo vision and I cannot see 3D games, 3D movies, etc, but when I play certain games in PlayStation VR I only see one image with depth!!! The other day after a couple hours of playing games I took the headset off and I saw depth around my house and in traffic for the first time in my life!! As the morning went on my vision returned back to my normal, but there's clearly some kind of "vision therapy" happening in PSVR. I'm 47 years old and I can't describe what it feels like to see depth, to see 3D for the first time in my life. It was amazing and overwhelming all at once. I know there's the medical program 'Vivid Vision' for Oculus which was developed to correct this condition, but I never expected it to happen naturally from just playing games. I really hope something like that comes to PSVR because this could be life changing for me.

So happy to read this. Shu needs to read this!

PBY

Banned
Still can't believe they put this out with all of these drift/tracking problems. This should just work.

The resolution stuff doesn't bother me at all, that makes sense that sacrifices have to be made.

Weevilone

I've got 2 units and on the same set up (just swapping out the PU and HMD) they both drift left. One definitely seems to drift more and faster than the other though. Personally I think they've got some borked IMU's in the headsets. Both of these are going back.

I think I'm going to return mine too. It just drifts like crazy. I'd swap the unit, but no launch bundles around, just standalone headsets.

Still can't believe they put this out with all of these drift/tracking problems. This should just work.

The resolution stuff doesn't bother me at all, that makes sense that sacrifices have to be made.
Ive never had any problems with tracking or drift, but I sit close to the camera, only play at night in the dark, and constantly recenter out of habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom