• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicko

Cvd0Nn0UIAAtakh.jpg

This is what things look like for me after playing Rigs for about half an hour. To move the mechforward I either need to hold the left analog stick at an angle or move my head and body.

SAME. EXACT. THING. HAPPENS. TO. ME.

Sony, plz fix your tech. Can't believe how common this seems to be for people...

Moreche

I've just tried skyward skies with the camera above my TV and the controller still drifts forward and back.
The only way I can get it to stay steady is if I'm about 3 feet from the TV.
I really wish there was a way to fix this as I'm about to apply the return label to the box.

Darvan

Question for the Eve Valkyrie players when you look down at the floating UI interface or to the right and left in the sit in the waiting/loading room. Does it move back and forth ?

Bought it this morning and the same thing kept happening to me.

I kept pivoting around the couch and didn't notice at first. Really annoyed me after a while so I gave up.
Yeah it becomes really hard to play after a while. Holding start to recalibrate it doesn't fix it either.

I'm thinking this has to be a software issue, not a hardware issue. The camera knows where it is, an absolute fixed position. It should know how far away and at what angle the headset is, relative to its own position. It doesn't make sense that as time goes by it should think that I've been slowly rotating!

Angry Joe reviewed PSVR and PSVR games. Said PSVR is the best of the three, gave it an 8/10. Said Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Rigs, and Battlezone are fantastic and must buys. Enjoyed Batman, but didn't like that it was so short.

TheMan

No Man's Sky - good, headset play actually suits this game a fair bit.

I said this in the official thread already, but VR could definitely save this game. Some complain that the basic gameplay loop still sucks, but I think it was a more than decent game already. Imagine the immersion of wearing the headset, and flying around in your ship. As far as VR games go, it would be one of the most fleshed out games on the system. So many haters would come crawling back.

I still think there's slim chance it could happen.

orioto

Good Art™
Windlands was my fav thing on oculus. Great scale, gigantic landscape that you have to climb.. my idea of a great vr experience!

Briarios

I'm really torn right now -- the Wayward Sky demo was a lot better than I expected ... so, now I want that, Tethered, Pixel Gear, and Windlands-- not to mention how good Bound looks. Seriously, way too many games, way too short on funds.

Anyone have any feedback on any of those positive or negative that they'd like to share?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Don't have one, I'm on the fence reading impressions in this thread to see if I get this for the holidays. I had a preorder that I cancelled, and I've even had one at a BB, but the tracking stuff is a deal breaker.

Wonder if they can patch this.

I've had mine since launch day and zero drifting issues. It's awesome.

I'm really torn right now -- the Wayward Sky demo was a lot better than I expected ... so, now I want that, Tethered, Pixel Gear, and Windlands-- not to mention how good Bound looks. Seriously, way too many games, way too short on funds.

Anyone have any feedback on any of those positive or negative that they'd like to share?

Yeah. I really liked the Wayward Sky demo. A lot.

spwolf

I've just tried skyward skies with the camera above my TV and the controller still drifts forward and back.
The only way I can get it to stay steady is if I'm about 3 feet from the TV.
I really wish there was a way to fix this as I'm about to apply the return label to the box.

i am sure that others mentioned it, but try changing lighting situation... thats what causes it for me, if i dim one of my lights at night and turn off others... to fix, i turn on more lights and everything works fine. During the day there is more natural light and it works fine... of course, this is all relative to my living room but thats how i noticed controller drifting once in this past week.

For anyone that has drifting issues:

My PS Moves have drift as well, yet when I do the following it is fixed:
1) Go in-game so that the Moves start reading gyro data
2) Shake them in every possible direction for a few seconds
3) Re-calibrate

Then they'll be fine for hours on end, pretty much until I reboot the console.

I don't have a PSVR but if the technology is the same it might work.

elohel

I showed off PSVR to a 69 year old relative yesterday. She thought it was amazing.

Then I asked her if she liked horror movies and she said yes.

Booted up The Kitchen for her.

A minute later and she was asking me to take it off as soon as she saw the guy coming to you with a knife.

She didn't believe me when I told her he was trying to cut you free.

lol

The kitchen?

Man even regular games with that big screen mode is really cool

I would love to see VR enabled remakes that just allow us to see the rest of the world off of screen mode is this probably
Coming?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Rezogun is awesome in massive cinema mode. Just spectacular.

Moreche

The kitchen?

Man even regular games with that big screen mode is really cool

I would love to see VR enabled remakes that just allow us to see the rest of the world off of screen mode is this probably
Coming?
This is what I would love to happen. Considering we're seeing remastered and re-releases I'd love to see older games revisited in VR.

I bought Pixel Gear last night and while it's a fun light gun shooter, I probably wouldn't recommend it. The camera is not dynamic at all, I played thru the first level and you are stuck in one position the whole time. Enemies attack from the side and you can turn around to see them, but it is just not very interesting at all. I bought it because I love light gun shooters and it was less than $9 with plus. I kind of wish I didn't buy it and instead got Rush of Blood. I haven't bought that yet only because the theme isnt exactly appealing. I'll probably get it sooner or later because everyone is gushing about it.

I bought Pixel Gear last night and while it's a fun light gun shooter, I probably wouldn't recommend it. The camera is not dynamic at all, I played thru the first level and you are stuck in one position the whole time. Enemies attack from the side and you can turn around to see them, but it is just not very interesting at all. I bought it because I love light gun shooters and it was less than $9 with plus. I kind of wish I didn't buy it and instead got Rush of Blood. I haven't bought that yet only because the theme isnt exactly appealing. I'll probably get it sooner or later because everyone is gushing about it.
It's a sit-down gun game and yes, the camera moves as your head moves. What you mean to say is there is no body movement/locomotion.

Is also the best example of a shooter with Move controller. Literally pinpoint and far less twitchy than Until Dawn. Here's hoping Lethal VRs implementation of move guns is as solid because that would be ace!

It's a sit-down gun game and yes, the camera moves as your head moves. What you mean to say is there is no body movement/locomotion.

Is also the best example of a shooter with Move controller. Literally pinpoint and far less twitchy than Until Dawn. Here's hoping Lethal VRs implementation of move guns is as solid because that would be ace!

That's true, I should have mentioned about how accurate it is, but honestly the game is just not very interesting unfortunately.

Loudninja

For the new page

New PSVR games for the week:

Carnival Games VR
PS VR — Digital (Out 10/28)

Carnival Games VR brings an immersive virtual reality experience, allowing you to explore the park, interact with patrons, and play up to 12 different games. Enter a themed Carnival Alley where you can play a game and earn tickets for virtual prizes or unlock another game.

Tethered
PS VR — Digital
In a magical sky borne world, take on the role of a powerful Spirit Guardian charged with restoring life and balance. Command the Peeps, your loyal servants, to feed, fight, build, and sacrifice themselves for the greater good in a quest to release your entombed brethren.

Weeping Doll
PS VR — Digital (Out 10/27)
An ordinary family. A beautiful home. But, who’s crying? Search the home, scour every room and scrutinize over every detail to piece together the story that has been kept locked away…

Windlands VR
PS VR — Digital
A first person grappling hook exploration game. Soar through the ruins of a fallen world and discover the secrets of the ancients. Windlands has been developed primarily for Virtual Reality headsets, but is also a great experience for those without headsets
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/23/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-10252016/

jrcbandit

Yeah, that was pretty intense.

Finished the game today and the sense of scale in the last level is phenomenal, I really love that game!
First pics I saw of it I thought:"meh looks like a cheap cash grab on the back of Until Dawn franchise!!1"
Silly me, that game is legit awesome!

Played Dodge Ball and this is actually really good and looks crisp!

Yeah the sense of scale was awesome but the repeated tentacle thing was annoying as hell.... Also, was the tracking poor for everyone at the end of the second to last level? Especially when you needed to shoot up... Still, overall I loved the game.

Moreche

I don't understand the drifting issues I have with my controller in Wayward Sky, if I'm not moving my controller then surely the gyros inside should be transmitting back to the PS4 that they're not moving.

Theonik

I don't understand the drifting issues I have with my controller in Wayward Sky, if I'm not moving my controller then surely the gyros inside should be transmitting back to the PS4 that they're not moving.
You are making a lot of assumptions about the quality of sensors (even good ones for that matter)
Software often is necessary to correct for this sort of thing and is why several types of sensors tend to be used. So we have a teardown of PSVR yet? Would be interesting to see how the IMU is constructed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Having tinkered with the demos, I felt I wasn't going to get my 'Mario 64' moment* But I took a leap of faith tonight and bought Rez, and I think it's the closest I've had to that so far. It was great - my favourite PSVR experience so far, and I can't wait to play more. I guess it proves that motion in VR isn't a problem per se, but changes in acceleration. And when Rez does kick in a change and evokes a stomach flutter, it never overstays its welcome, and in fact oddly adds to the sensory experience. It takes you to the edge of a pleasurable rather than uncomfortable flutter.

When my (single) ps move finishes charging I hope I can play Rez with it - but does it need two wands?

* the funny thing about 'Mario 64' moments, is that for me, my first hours with it were somewhat disappointing too. Hype can make me difficult to impress sometimes... But like back then, I think pure enjoyment might eventually take over with VR if Rez is anything to go by.

cyberheater

Having tinkered with the demos, I felt I wasn't going to get my 'Mario 64' moment* But I took a leap of faith tonight and bought Rez, and I think it's the closest I've had to that so far. It was great - my favourite PSVR experience so far, and I can't wait to play more. I guess it proves that motion in VR isn't a problem per se, but changes in acceleration. And when Rez does kick in a change and evokes a stomach flutter, it never overstays its welcome, and in fact oddly adds to the sensory experience. It takes you to the edge of a pleasurable rather than uncomfortable flutter.

When my (single) ps move finishes charging I hope I can play Rez with it - but does it need two wands?

* the funny thing about 'Mario 64' moments, is that for me, my first hours with it were somewhat disappointing too. Hype can make me difficult to impress sometimes... But like back then, I think pure enjoyment might eventually take over with VR if Rez is anything to go by.

You are going to love it.

Shoeless

For the new page

New PSVR games for the week:

Carnival Games VR
PS VR — Digital (Out 10/28)

Tethered
PS VR — Digital

Weeping Doll
PS VR — Digital (Out 10/27)

Windlands VR
PS VR — Digital
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/23/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-10252016/

I'm interested in Tethered and potentially Weeping Doll, but I'm going to wait on buying them. I'm all about World of Final Fantasy next week, so I'll hop back into some traditional TV gaming, then make all my future VR purchases on the shiny new Pro coming in two weeks.

Well, unless I break down and can't resist.

jrcbandit

You really don't want to use Move for Rez, it feels like it has lag. You are better off changing the control scheme from default to Head Targeting and only using the dualshock to press X for fire and circle for super.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You really don't want to use Move for Rez, it feels like it has lag. You are better off changing the control scheme from default to Head Targeting and only using the dualshock to press X for fire and circle for super.

Interesting, thanks. I didn't know about the head aiming mode, I may give it a try.

Sorry if this has been repeated but if you have access to Hulu try it out. The VR interface is what Netflix and the PS media player should use. Watched a couple of shows on a curved theater scene sitting in a theater seat. Movie trailers didn't look great and the VR videos were too pixelated but actual 2-d movies on the theater screen looked great.

That's true, I should have mentioned about how accurate it is, but honestly the game is just not very interesting unfortunately.
Beat all 3 levels on Normal then start hard and come back to this statement. Shit gets tough and there's a lot more enemies being thrown at you along with different boss mechanics as you go up in difficulty.

It's a 9 dollar light gun pew pew. Hard to go wrong at that price. I just wish there were more levels but the difficulty curve as you crank it makes you sweat. You'll need to perfect your headshots and you'll be swapping guns for the firepower for sure.

I mean it's not this crazy amazing game but you only played the first level on normal difficulty since the rest are locked behind level unlocks. Worth the 9 bucks, imo.

DukeBobby

Level 5 in Rush of Blood wasn't as bad as I feared.

Then again, I'm not scared of
spiders
. If you are, for the love of God, don't play it.

Sorry if this has been repeated but if you have access to Hulu try it out. The VR interface is what Netflix and the PS media player should use. Watched a couple of shows on a curved theater scene sitting in a theater seat. Movie trailers didn't look great and the VR videos were too pixelated but actual 2-d movies on the theater screen looked great.

I couldn't agree more! I watched a couple 2D movies in Hulu VR and the experience was great. The feeling of being in a dark theater makes it really hard to go back to watching normally on my TV. For me this was an unexpected, valuable feature of PSVR.

You're right about the VR videos: they're way to pixelated and grainy. I want to find some good examples of high-definition VR videos I can download and view to see what they look like. I really like the aerial tours and flying videos.

Shoeless

tried Hatsune Miku for the first time in my life because...you know... VR:

anime was a mistake.

I think in some bizarre way, this is the purest way to actually have the Hatsune Miku experience. You are a virtual audience member, in a virtual world, attending a virtual concert, with a virtual idol singer.

That's pretty much as Virtual God intended the experience.

Z3M0G

Cvd0Nn0UIAAtakh.jpg

This is what things look like for me after playing Rigs for about half an hour. To move the mechforward I either need to hold the left analog stick at an angle or move my head and body.

Weird as heck since this has never happened to me at all..

I've had drift in other games, but never in Rigs.
Happens to my buddy too. And annoying that the reset by holding Options does nothing.

Nydus

Anyone using the turtle beach stealth 350vr? Im looking for some headphones that fit the headset, because in-ears are gross when multiple people use it and the volume/sound quality is kinda meh. Sadly my superluxx are too big to fit nicely and my dt770 have way too much ohm for the psvr output :(

Lan_97

Finished up Batman VR. I definitely felt more satisfied with this game than I was expecting. I originally preordered the game, but dropped it after watching a play through, only to order it again.

Thoughts:
- Just being in VR makes everything much more interesting to interact with
- The story is short, and really could have used a couple more scenes
- Riddler puzzles ended up being pretty fun to dig around for
- Target practice was frustrating until I realized how the homing worked
- Was really having some tracking issues with this game and moved my camera setup a bit closer which helped a bunch
- Could use seated vehicle modes, and some sort of combat.
- I would definitely pay for an expanded full game with more content.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I had a drift issue yesterday and I fixed it by restarting my PS4. I haven't had any other issues playing at night and in the daytime. I also didn't have the TV on but I have it on usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom