• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a weird question that's hard to word properly. So the view you get in the headset is roughly circular. When you have it on, do you see more of the top side of that circle, or more of the bottom? The only way I can get the thing to properly focus is by having it pretty far up on my head, so I can see the bottom of the circle but the top is beyond what I can see, and I also wind up with a sliver of space out of the bottom of the headset. It works fine(ish) this way, but after watching some of my saved gameplay videos and seeing that Share favors the top of the circle to the bottom, I'm wondering if that's the way it's "meant" to be aligned.

If you constantly recenter then surely that means you have drift?
I think I subconsciously built up the habit of recentering and do it so often that it never gets to the point where I notice.

Is there a way to recenter the screen while using an external HDMI source like Xbox?

D23

Woke up this morning and saw my wife cursing on the tv screen while playing thumper in vr... I am in awe. Good job Sony, my wife hates playing video games but seeing her playing thumper In vr was amazing.

III-V

Now that I've got PSVR. I've no interest in 2D gaming. Anyone else?

Not so much. I see it as a completely different experience from standard gaming, for the moment. I have found that I am able to enjoy games that I normally would not care for.

I still plan to play DSII DLC and other 2D games.

addyb

Quick question guys. Heard mixed answers but will the PS3 move docking station work with the PS4 move controllers?

JSR_Cube

Saw an early review for Tethered.

http://www.playstationvr.us/tethered-review-psvr-feel-like-a-god/
"To conclude, despite its cute looks, Tethered offers a challenging and immersive experience to the PlayStation VR. It is a great game that will be enjoyed by any strategy/simulation fan, and at the same time opens the door for future strategy games. It is a genre that we did not necessarily expect to fit as naturally as it does in Virtual Reality. Secret Sorcery has accomplished a great feat by paying close attention to details, which provides the players with a sincere desire to care for the peeps. Despite the impossibility to use a PS Move, the lack of customization for the peeps, a sometimes awkward UI, and the absence of a save feature in the middle of a level, Tethered is a game that is well worth its price and provides many hours of fun, sadness, and awe."

8/10

This should be my next VR game.

I love being able to play without using the TV. Now I don't have to wait for the TV to be free to play and vice versa for family who want to watch TV while I'm gaming.

Woke up this morning and saw my wife cursing on the tv screen while playing thumper in vr... I am in awe. Good job Sony, my wife hates playing video games but seeing her playing thumper In vr was amazing.
Ahaha! That's awesome!

But now you'll soon realize it isn't so awesome when you have to fight with your wife over playtime. =P

Soi-Fong

I keep getting destroyed in the semi's

Went online for the 1st time last night (thought I best get some practise in for beat the devs) and it was amazing. I did far better then ever before in any MP game. Played 10 won 10, mvp a few times too. Ended one powerslam match with 7 goals and 21 kills which I was impressed with. Can only think head tracking/aiming is the key for me as on right stick I'm sure I would suck

Haven't gotten online yet. Trying to finish the first season and tourney before hopping online.

Tried to use head movement again for trying to move the Rig left and right and I still get sick from it so I'm just gonna stick to using right stick.

I do love aiming with the head though. It's just so much faster and really makes you feel like a badass.

Haven't gotten online yet. Trying to finish the first season and tourney before hopping online.

Tried to use head movement again for trying to move the Rig left and right and I still get sick from it so I'm just gonna stick to using right stick.

I do love aiming with the head though. It's just so much faster and really makes you feel like a badass.

Yea head aiming is a revelation. I've always suffered from shaky hands since I was a small child so have always struggled in shooters (was blinding in the old track and field games though lol) and the accuracy and speed is amazing

I don't know if that will ever come out for VR. It's honestly pushing base PS4 to even hit 30fps. I could see a hyper paired down version maybe? But the rendering tech along with all the other ambitious stuff going on is like asking for Uncharted 4 to run in VR. Still, I'll play the hell out of Dreams even without VR!

Thought it was confirmed for VR?

Seems like a game made specifically for VR.

Maybe there is something to 4ft. I'll test it tomorrow using a tripod. I really shoudn't have said "below is better than above" since my TV is so tall. On top of my TV is slightly taller than me where as on top of your guy's TV would put the camera in the center of mine. That's what I mean by it being circumstantial.

Yeah, tracking is really bad for me with the camera below because the dual shock or move controllers are constantly obscuring the camera's view. The top of my tv is about 5' from the floor, so that is working best for me. I found last night that a lot of the wobble/pulsing was minimized if I sat closer to 5' distance from the camera. Before was about 6' and was getting pretty bad wobble/pulsing... enough that I was considering sending the whole psvr back. Will play some more with it setup like it is now and see how it goes. It's still not tracking perfectly but better than it was.

Tested a whole lot more. Used move controllers, 8ft back, then as far back as the cable allowed. Tested in Battlezone, Until Dawn, Job Sim and Rigs. No session causes drift while sitting still. No movement, no stutter, no swimmyness/pulsing. Nada. I scanned the videos for any wobble or pulsing, as well. I didn't just look at start and end frames. 15 minute tests.

My only conclusion is that tracking needs to be improved as the only time I've experienced any drift is while wearing the headset during play. Since launch I've found my sweet spots for standing/sitting, for using controller tracking and not, lights completely on and completely off. I can play without needing to reset calibration and just turn it on and go. The only thing I still do is full power down between sessions.

My guess is a lot can be fixed with better software. Gyros might be an issue during play and get out of whack but I own nothing with a gyro that doesn't need recalibrating from time to time, for what it's worth.

It took a few days and camera positioning for me to get it right but since then there's nothing I can't play. Controller tracking is still wonky as it's a single point of light but the most important aspect to help prevent locomotion sickness being the headset is solid as a rock.

So the gyros in the controller and the gyro in the headset is interfering with each other?
No. Nothing in my testing shows drift or pulsing.

I have no frame of reference here, but I've no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing in these pictures. They look the same to me :(
I recorded 15 minute sessions of nothing but the headset and a game running, then with a controller in the mix. The two sets of images represent the first frame of footage at 0:00 and the last frame at 15:00. If any drift was present we would see it between those frames.

Pretty sure the gyros over or under reacts to the head movement in one direction. Drift is not caused by the camera. I hope this can be fixed with better calibration Tools.
Oh I get this. I wanted to see if drift was present without gyro movement, hence letting the headset and controllers sit still to see if any gyro was bad.

Still can't believe they put this out with all of these drift/tracking problems. This should just work.

The resolution stuff doesn't bother me at all, that makes sense that sacrifices have to be made.
I think the main points of these issues stem from 2 areas:

Gyros while moving around can get out of whack. I've seen this happen often with pretty much every device that uses a gyro. This might be remedied with software to help sync the headset position/rotational data using the LEDs and referencing them with the gyros.

Move/DS4 lights in front of the HMD - obviously this blocks the LEDs for positional tracking of the HMD and can cause things to go out of whack. This may be fixed by room scale tracking like the Vive with multiple sensors, which isn't exactly end-user friendly, despite its increased accuracy.

Some games also handle out of bounds poorly like Until Dawn, which I believe to be the worst offender. In UD, when you hit the bounds, the entire screen locks position even when you move - so if you move forward to look over your cart, the camera stops at the edge of the cart while you can still move, giving a similar effect as the Cinema Screen until you pull back.

After tweaking, aside from placing the controllers directly in front of my face to block the HMD, I've stopped having issues and can play without issue.

Toki767

I showed off PSVR to a 69 year old relative yesterday. She thought it was amazing.

Then I asked her if she liked horror movies and she said yes.

Booted up The Kitchen for her.

A minute later and she was asking me to take it off as soon as she saw the guy coming to you with a knife.

She didn't believe me when I told her he was trying to cut you free.

lol

addyb

They're the same exact Move controllers. They'll work fine.

Cheers mate.

It's a killer of a wait for me. Got rid of my original PS4 a few months ago and had a change of heart and wanted VR but also want the ps pro so I've now got the psvr with me and have to wait until the pro as I can't be bothered buying and then selling a pre owned PS4 in the interim.

Anyway I have all the kit I need and also purchased the following games on digital:
Hi mate.

Headmaster
Batman
Until Dawn
VR worlds
Gunjack
Pixel gear
Tumble VR

Good choices? I purposely picked the above as they are more motion sickness friendly and will try the demos of the bigger games to see how they are with me. I do like the look of eve valkyrie but the price point over content concerns me. Rez and thumper will no doubt be future buys.

https://youtu.be/5yO0j4cxJac

This is 30 minutes of Battlezone at 5.5 feet, which is my preferred distance. I do some very quick head movements from time to time. Recorded in a single take with no cuts. You'll see tracking is spot on the entire time. I used to have some issues early on but, again, dialing in your sweet spot helps.

Also, no shittalking my jammies, fam. Star Wars jammies are best jammies.

Soi-Fong

https://youtu.be/5yO0j4cxJac

This is 30 minutes of Battlezone at 5.5 feet, which is my preferred distance. I do some very quick head movements from time to time. Recorded in a single take with no cuts. You'll see tracking is spot on the entire time. I used to have some issues early on but, again, dialing in your sweet spot helps.

Also, no shittalking my jammies, fam. Star Wars jammies are best jammies.

Can't really tell here, where's your camera placed again?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still can't believe they put this out with all of these drift/tracking problems. This should just work.

The resolution stuff doesn't bother me at all, that makes sense that sacrifices have to be made.

Agreed completely. The first few days were amazing for me but once the initial amazement of being in vr settled down I couldnt get over the pulsing, drifting, and controller judder. I ultimately think this will significantly impact the future of the headset, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Had the same thing .Disconnected al cables, waited a few minutes, rebooted PS4 and it worked.

Having other issues now.... My receiver won't play DTS and Dolby Digital anymore...until I restart. When I start the PS4 everything works fine, but after a few minutes Dolby Digital and DTS are gone....until I restart etc. Connected via Optical.

Seems like it's time for a PSVR patch.
Thank you, that seemed to do the trick.

Man they have enough problems to not have this tacked on as well.

Soi-Fong

Cheers mate.

It's a killer of a wait for me. Got rid of my original PS4 a few months ago and had a change of heart and wanted VR but also want the ps pro so I've now got the psvr with me and have to wait until the pro as I can't be bothered buying and then selling a pre owned PS4 in the interim.

Anyway I have all the kit I need and also purchased the following games on digital:
Hi mate.

Headmaster
Batman
Until Dawn
VR worlds
Gunjack
Pixel gear
Tumble VR

Good choices? I purposely picked the above as they are more motion sickness friendly and will try the demos of the bigger games to see how they are with me. I do like the look of eve valkyrie but the price point over content concerns me. Rez and thumper will no doubt be future buys.

Get Rigs on physical. I cannot recommend it enough. It's the best launch game for me because of its immersion, game play and vast amount of content in the game. Give it a chance and play around with control settings and you will love it!!!

DavidDesu

Regarding the guy who can now see depth in real life thanks to VR, I'm just wondering, does everyone else see depth the same way as they do in VR?

For me I'm sure I see depth in real life but it's rarely something that sticks out, pardon the pun. In VR the three dimensionality of objects is far more apparent than I feel it is in reality?

So for you is 3D depth in VR more pronounced than real life too, or does it feel exactly the same? Just curious if I've got an issue with depth perception in real life or not. I have the odd clumsy moment for sure..

Ogni-XR21

Do games track differently?
I don't believe so. After doing my preferred setup, I found even notoriously figity titles like Job Simulator (which can be played sitting, btw) remain almost completely stable. The hands on that game are a bit "wiggier" than other titles. Regardless, dialing in your setup appears to be able to make any game's tracking acceptable.
Verdict: I don't believe so. Tracking quality appears to be almost entirely dependent on camera/user position.

There is definitely differences in tracking quality depending on the game. Just try the drawing segment of the Harmonix Music VR demo, or just the demo/game in general, it has better tracking than any other game out there I've tried. It's almost perfect 1:1 move controller tracking, no stutter or lag at all.
I think, due to the rather simple environments there are much more resources left for the tracking.

I was wondering....has anyone gotten surround sound to work while wearing the headset? I like the stereo 3d sound that the headset employs but i dont see why the same effect cant be reproduced (in fact improved) with full surround sound?

The positional audio works great with the headset but i dont like cutting out all ambient noise by wearing them. I use 7.1 surround and would prefer to at least have the option of not using the headphones if i dont want to while still getting that positional audio.

Im hoping this feature is used going forward.

Rush of Blood has option for the sound including a home theatre setup. I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a good surround sound system. But keep in mind that using the sound from the social screen will have a little lag. Some people probably won't notice but for me it's a real immersion killer.

Yeah face-aiming is frustrating in Rez. Breaks down every time you need to turn to sides or back, the game wasn't designed for VR in mind after all.

I never had a single problem with Rez when aiming at stuff behind me. And I find aiming with your view much faster and intuitive than a controller can ever be. Also to me Rez feels like it was always designed with VR in mind, it's by far my favorite VR game yet. Not a day has gone by since release that I did not play this.

Cvd0Nn0UIAAtakh.jpg

This is what things look like for me after playing Rigs for about half an hour. To move the mechforward I either need to hold the left analog stick at an angle or move my head and body.

asdad123

I bought this but unfortunately had to return it. I got such bad motion sickness that I could not play it for longer than 5 minutes. Its weird because when I tried it at Best Buy, I had no motion sickness at all.

It was so cool too :(

Anarion07

Regarding the guy who can now see depth in real life thanks to VR, I'm just wondering, does everyone else see depth the same way as they do in VR?

For me I'm sure I see depth in real life but it's rarely something that sticks out, pardon the pun. In VR the three dimensionality of objects is far more apparent than I feel it is in reality?

So for you is 3D depth in VR more pronounced than real life too, or does it feel exactly the same? Just curious if I've got an issue with depth perception in real life or not. I have the odd clumsy moment for sure..

It's probably just more pronounced because you're not used to it in a video game.
In real life it's been normal for you for the past decades, you never really wondered about depth, it's just how you perceive things.
Having it like that in a video game makes it something new, something special

I was sweating buckets by the end of level 3 in Rush of Blood.

Please tell me it doesn't get any worse.

welp. nice knowing you.

I bought this but unfortunately had to return it. I got such bad motion sickness that I could not play it for longer than 5 minutes. Its weird because when I tried it at Best Buy, I had no motion sickness at all.

It was so cool too :(
Sorry to hear it bro..jump in on PSVR2

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Explain your setup/environment. We can help sort out your drifting issues.

Ogni-XR21

General, maybe drift-related, question:

When you guys have the OS screen/cinematic mode running is the screen perfectly straight or slightly tilted in one direction?

The screen in my headset is usually slightly tilted to the right (it's hardly noticeable) and if I have drift it's to the right. One time though it was shifting left and if my memory serves me right the screen was slightly tilted to the left that time. This makes me think that the drift probably has to do with the gyro of the headset...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ogni-XR21 said:
I think, due to the rather simple environments there are much more resources left for the tracking.
That's not really how tracking works with these devices.
The differentiating factor is the amount of latency (which needs to be predicted for by the sensor/API) - lower latency leads to more accurate tracking (up to a point anyway).

Soi-Fong

Cvd0Nn0UIAAtakh.jpg

This is what things look like for me after playing Rigs for about half an hour. To move the mechforward I either need to hold the left analog stick at an angle or move my head and body.

Weird as heck since this has never happened to me at all..

I've had drift in other games, but never in Rigs.

PBY

Banned
Explain your setup/environment. We can help sort out your drifting issues.
Don't have one, I'm on the fence reading impressions in this thread to see if I get this for the holidays. I had a preorder that I cancelled, and I've even had one at a BB, but the tracking stuff is a deal breaker.

Wonder if they can patch this.

The hyper ghost lady destroyed me.

Yeah, that was pretty intense.

Finished the game today and the sense of scale in the last level is phenomenal, I really love that game!
First pics I saw of it I thought:"meh looks like a cheap cash grab on the back of Until Dawn franchise!!1"
Silly me, that game is legit awesome!

Played Dodge Ball and this is actually really good and looks crisp!

lifa-cobex

Cvd0Nn0UIAAtakh.jpg

Bought it this morning and the same thing kept happening to me.

I kept pivoting around the couch and didn't notice at first. Really annoyed me after a while so I gave up.

Loudninja

New PSVR games for the week:

Carnival Games VR
PS VR — Digital (Out 10/28)

Carnival Games VR brings an immersive virtual reality experience, allowing you to explore the park, interact with patrons, and play up to 12 different games. Enter a themed Carnival Alley where you can play a game and earn tickets for virtual prizes or unlock another game.

Tethered
PS VR — Digital
In a magical sky borne world, take on the role of a powerful Spirit Guardian charged with restoring life and balance. Command the Peeps, your loyal servants, to feed, fight, build, and sacrifice themselves for the greater good in a quest to release your entombed brethren.

Weeping Doll
PS VR — Digital (Out 10/27)
An ordinary family. A beautiful home. But, who’s crying? Search the home, scour every room and scrutinize over every detail to piece together the story that has been kept locked away…

Windlands VR
PS VR — Digital
A first person grappling hook exploration game. Soar through the ruins of a fallen world and discover the secrets of the ancients. Windlands has been developed primarily for Virtual Reality headsets, but is also a great experience for those without headsets
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/23/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-10252016/

Don't have one, I'm on the fence reading impressions in this thread to see if I get this for the holidays. I had a preorder that I cancelled, and I've even had one at a BB, but the tracking stuff is a deal breaker.

Wonder if they can patch this.
Probably not as widespread as you'd think once you get your setup done properly. Considering how many setups people have shown here that are less than ideal and have it working while some started out with issues but now have it setup fine, I wouldn't be too concerned, tbh.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more of it, tbh. This thread has been overwhelmingly glowing with a whole bunch of people not posting anymore after their initial impressions so most will now come here to either request game suggestions or troubleshoot. Most hardware threads go down this route anf if I based my purchases on how they go after a week I'd be dining by candlelight and making my own parchment and ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom