• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I found a surprising amount of detailed information regarding best camera position... this time directly from Sony! I found it on the following support page:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/g...g-started/ps-vr--how-get-the-best-experience/

It says:

PlayStation Camera set up
  • Place the camera in a vibration-free location.
  • Place your PlayStation Camera (PS Camera) about 1.4m (4’7”) from the floor.
  • If you are using PlayStation Move motion controllers, try placing your PS Camera slightly higher than 1.4m (4’7”), as this can sometimes improve tracking. Try placing it on top of your TV screen.
  • Stand or sit about 1.4m - 2m (4'7" - 6’) away from the PS Camera and play directly in front of it.
  • Make sure the PS Camera can see the VR headset to stop ‘Out of Play Area’ messages. Long press the PS button on your controller to open the quick menu and go to [Adjust PlayStation VR] > [Confirm Your Position] and re-centre yourself in the play area.
  • Try to reduce colours in the play area that match the colours of the lights on the VR headset (blue), DualShock 4 wireless controller (red, magenta and cyan) and PS Move motion controllers (red and magenta). This includes wearing clothes in contrasting colours to make sure the lights can be picked up.
  • If the colour of the light on your controller is not being picked up go to the PS4 home screen and go to [Settings] > [Devices] > [PlayStation VR] > [Tracking Lights] > [Controllers] and press (X button) on any controllers you want to check. Your PS4 will check to find out if another colour will be picked up better by the PS Camera.
  • If your DualShock 4 wireless controller is connected to your PS4 system with the charging cable, this can sometimes interfere with the PlayStation Camera's view of the light bar. Play wirelessly to stop this issue.
  • Make sure the lenses are clean using the supplied microfiber cloth.
I'm surprised to see such a precise height recommendation.
I better buy myself a 1.4m PSVR-camera table

Mokubba

RIGS just got even better.

I switched off the comfort setting that blacks out your cockpit after selecting your re-spawn point.
If you thought ejecting was cool, coming back down is even better.

That's interesting because I've played a LOT of Rez on VR, and the photosensitivity warning is like sticking a fork in my eyeball, and the dev splash screens (pure white) make me feel like I just looked at the Ark of the Covenant. Once I drop to the menu with Eden floating there, everything is completely fine just like the rest of the game. VR is weird

Interesting. Yeah, fork in the eyes sounds about right. Sadly, for me it looks the same when I get into the menus and game :(

Fisty

I switched off the comfort setting that blacks out your cockpit after selecting your re-spawn point.

RIGs: "Would you like to use the mask when ejecting to block out your vision?"

Me: "Why the fuck would I want to do that?!? That was amazing!!"

Hm, it sounds like you were unable to dial it in completely for Rez then. I did experiment using that manual IPD setting trick, and was never able to see Rez correctly. The game is clearly doing something differently than the other games. I've played Playroom VR, Thumper, Tumble, Gunjack, the Shin Godzilla thing, all of the demo disc, Pixel Gear, and all of the video apps, including Allumette and my eye convergence and depth perception on all of them is great. Same with area x. It's really strange.

Sadly no, Rez is the only VR game that seems to be the most uncomfortable on my eyes, especially on the Photosensitivity and Logo screens. In game I'd say it's 90% of the way there.... still some strain.

Been playing Tethered right now however and it looks great, no eye strain at all, but this is true with all the other games now that I've found an IPD that works for me.

TheMan

Glad to hear tethered is good, sounds like a full fledged game rather than an experience or a glorified demo. Any impression of windlands yet?

Carl

That setting made me feel like I was going to vomit my guts out

alienator

Yep, I really enjoy it, and at $5 you will not be disappointed. You need to be sure to go slow with it. You definitely need to get your VR legs underneath you for this one. Here are my impressions after about 30 minutes with it in the Tutorial Sample Level. In my impressions I explain what the game is about, so it should give you a good idea of the game.

Plus, It was co-developed by Gaffer m0dus!!

Thanks! and, bought it right away, got no time to play it right now but will leave an impression tomorrow.

Are there any VR titles as of right now that require motion controllers only? I'm trying my best to avoid this thread, haven't bought it, trying to wait for the holidays, but damn the thirst is getting real on this one.

PS VR is the biggest gaming disappointment of my life.

Reasons why:

Everything I have played made me feel sick. Like really sick.

The field of view really hurts the feeling of being immersed in the world.

So many wires.

Constantly fiddling with the head unit to get the image to appear sharp.

Image quality is not great.

Still feel sick hours after playing it.

The tracking is an issue. Holding the controller perfectly still, and the controller image in the head unit keeps bobbing in and out.

The head unit is not comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Driveclub VR was so disappointing. Can't see anything in the distance, everything seems blurry, and every turn made me feel like I was going to throw up.

Thumper was fun. But I would rather play it on my tv with better image quality. VR doesn't really add anything to the game. Ditto for REZ.

Job simulator is not even close to being worth $30.

The virtual big screen to play non VR games was the best thing about the whole experience. But it just made me want a 70" tv.

Glad a lot of you are enjoying it, but VR is not for me.

DjRalford

Reasons why:

So many wires.

The tracking is an issue. Holding the controller perfectly still, and the controller image in the head unit keeps bobbing in and out.

Driveclub VR was so disappointing. Can't see anything in the distance, everything seems blurry, and every turn made me feel like I was going to throw up.

Thumper was fun. But I would rather play it on my tv with better image quality. VR doesn't really add anything to the game. Ditto for REZ.

The virtual big screen to play non VR games was the best thing about the whole experience. But it just made me want a 70" tv.

Each person will have their own experince, good or bad, unfortunatly unless you know someone with one to try before buying you have to jump in.

Chalk it up as not for you and sell it on, possibly for a small profit :)

Fisty

Reasons why:

So many wires.

Sorry to hear about it making you sick, I hope it gets better for you. I have heard some people have a harder time adjusting to it than most, but "getting your VR legs" is a real thing so it might be a good idea to keep trying it every now and again to see if it gets better.

Maybe try things like Tumble VR or other stationary games? That one's only like 10 and it's pretty fun.

KORNdoggy

Finally got some time with battlezone and it may now be my favorite PSVR game. It really pulls no punches either. It is rock hard from the outset. Even the tutorial kicked my ass lol. But thankfully it's really fun.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The spoiler here is some of the stuff that I was talking about when it comes to the Batman VR story. It truly is an actual Rockstar game when it comes to the writting. So good and great surprises.

My friend is a Batman fan and freaked out at the most basic stuff you can do as Batman. But I didn't let him play more than the first 20 minutes. Once I beat it though, I realized that Rockstar is literally going to leave millions on the table if they don't make another one of these. I'd pay $60 FULL PRICE, for a 6 hour Batman VR 2 game.

Yeah man absolutely! So happy I bought it. Haven't even finished but already feel like I'll get my money's worth just replaying scenes.

Finally got some time with battlezone and it may now be my favorite PSVR game. It really pulls no punches either. It is rock hard from the outset. Even the tutorial kicked my ass lol. But thankfully it's really fun.

I gave the demo another spin and it actually felt really good, moreso than it did before. Bit expensive for me at the moment but one I want to get at some point definitely.

Sec0nd

They had a test booth set up with PSVR. So I figured I give it a try. Having tried non-gaming VR applications with Google Cardboard and Oculus which were really I was super ready for VR gaming to change the face of gaming as we know it. Played Driveclub VR for probably 5 minutes and it was the worst thing ever. Felt sick for hours. Didn't feel it added anything worthwhile to the gaming experience. Visual quality wasn't that good.

I dunno. Definitely not for me. I felt really weird for hours after playing for less than 5 minutes. I was forcing myself to be really amazed and impressed while playing it but it was all just really mediocre to be honest.

Teknoman

Reasons why:

So many wires.

Mess with the advanced settings for eye distance, and dont crank the headset tightness to max. Is your camera under your TV? Also make sure you are sitting down as this can help give you a more grounded feeling so to speak.

I've been showing off the psvr to all my friends and family. It has been a huge hit. However, my mom HATED it. She had it on for about 30 seconds and she adamantly requested I take it off of her. She said it was unnatural and terrifying, lol. She's 64 FYI! It was the underwater demo.

I'm having a neighborhood Halloween party this weekend and everyone knows I have this and there is quite a buzz over people wanting to try it out. Should be pretty sweet!

I've been showing off the psvr to all my friends and family. It has been a huge hit. However, my mom HATED it. She had it on for about 30 seconds and she adamantly requested I take it off of her. She said it was unnatural and terrifying, lol. She's 64 FYI! It was the underwater demo.

I'm having a neighborhood Halloween party this weekend and everyone knows I have this and there is quite a buzz over people wanting to try it out. Should be pretty sweet!

A few of my older relatives are legitimately terrified of the concept. This is that one step too far for their generation!

In other news, I'm enjoying Rigs a ridiculous amount, it's actually tearing me away from FFXIV and DSIII: AoA! It's not an easy game either, I'm finding myself really having to improve in order to get through the league.

Moreche

When I start Rush of Blood, the game needs me to slightly turn left so this I am facing fully forward to look down the railway tracks.
I have tried turning the headset on/off but I don't know how to fix it.

They had a test booth set up with PSVR. So I figured I give it a try. Having tried non-gaming VR applications with Google Cardboard and Oculus which were really I was super ready for VR gaming to change the face of gaming as we know it. Played Driveclub VR for probably 5 minutes and it was the worst thing ever. Felt sick for hours. Didn't feel it added anything worthwhile to the gaming experience. Visual quality wasn't that good.

I dunno. Definitely not for me. I felt really weird for hours after playing for less than 5 minutes. I was forcing myself to be really amazed and impressed while playing it but it was all just really mediocre to be honest.

Quite possibly the worst game you could have chosen for any kind of VR. IMO, it should have never been released or demo'd. It's ugly, the scaling is waaaaaaaaaay off inside of the vehicle and doesn't in any way represent what VR is capable of. Even Here They Lie, which is another game that should have never even tried VR thanks to absolutely atrocious locomotion, was a better experience.

Don't let DC turn you off. It shouldn't exist, if it were up to me.

Great game but even in the easy SP campaign I get my ass kicked 😉

Grinchy

Banned
How is Super Stardust? I don't think I've heard a word about it. Is it even out?
It has been up since day 1. I bought the base game months ago to get the cheap upgrade and still haven't bothered to grab it yet. There's just too much other stuff to play.

Fliesen

so i bought Arkham VR to binge-playthrough on tomorrow's national holiday.

I'm so freaking thorough ... i haven't even left the batcave after ... 45 minutes.

Also, that Alumette video is really cute. - and nobody tell me you didn't try to catch that match or that cane...

I tried the Toppled demo today. controls really well, but i didn't care much for the "demolition" mode, neither do i think there's much depth in stacking bricks, especially with tracking that is not 100% accurate.

Oh, the Rigs demo was super neat visually, but far too hectic for me to enjoy.

Looking at those Tethered Videos, looks like a super chill game, might put it next on my list after Arkham VR.

majik13

When I start Rush of Blood, the game needs me to slightly turn left so this I am facing fully forward to look down the railway tracks.

Have you tried powering down the whole system, PS4 included?

Quite possibly the worst game you could have chosen for any kind of VR. IMO, it should have never been released or demo'd. It's ugly, the scaling is waaaaaaaaaay off inside of the vehicle and doesn't in any way represent what VR is capable of. Even Here They Lie, which is another game that should have never even tried VR thanks to absolutely atrocious locomotion, was a better experience.

Don't let DC turn you off. It shouldn't exist, if it were up to me.

I totally disagree with you in pretty much every way. Apart from that it is not the game to start out with on VR or that it should be used as an initial gauge for VR especially in a demo environment as it requires a bit more set up than most and the demo gives pretty insipid tracks, time of day and car selection and has auto break on as well as a high chance for nausea. Also when people first want to experience VR they want to look around, this isn't DC's strong point it is when you race properly it comes into its own. Looking around is like being a bored passenger, looking through corners and getting as close to loss of control whilst maintaining as much speed as possible is unbelievably good.

I don't know how scaling is off for you, I'm 195m tall and everything is almost close to perfect and I have been in a small amount of cars in the game in real life, some could be a smaller but most of those I want smaller I wouldn't actually be able to fit in because they are tiny. The game is loads better in VR so much so that I have tried out the original and Project Cars since and I can't play them any more, assuming you like the original as it is the same game with the same handling model with some visual features cut but the majority are still intact and don't mind the loss of fidelity it is fantastic. Takes longer than most games to get set up properly due to different car setups but once that is sorted the immersion is brilliant, only time it gets broken once adjusted to the blur is if the game drops the resolution which it can do usually in races, the game also looks a lot better either at 13:00 or 00:00 due to sunsets/sunrises not working well with the display and whatever solutions they have used to get the game running.

Ammogeddon

I get the same thing where it goes quite far to the left and right even though I'm sat straight. The only thing to do is close the game and restart it. I have had it mainly with job simulator and Tethered.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think your experience is tainted by feeling nauseous from the simulation sickness from all the different games you've tried. You should take a long break, then try playing these two games again, as they don't really cause sickeness at all. VR adds hugely to Thumper, it's far easier to judge your commands due to perfect distance awareness. Rez is also totally not the same thing when played on a flat screen, not to mention the aiming by looking at stuff is far easier and more precise than using controller in that game. It's been years since I've last played Rez, and I've literally never had a better run of the game than I had on my first try in VR. It was so much more natural and more precise to play it this way.

Aceofspades

Banned
Danger ball is really amazing!

Playstation VR world will be remembered fondly in the future just like PS1 Demo1.

Love every game on it. Crazy variety too.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
PSVR is going to make me poor.

I've just bought yet another game. Tethered. It's downloading now. The reviews I've read are really good.

Carl

I've been singing Tethered's praise since I played it last month. Good to see it final out and getting some decent reviews. Check some out

If someone told you that you could play God in VR, you'd wanna try it out right? Well, get your mitts and your face on tethered because it's one of the best PS VR games we've played.
FIVE STARS
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a799244/best-playstation-vr-games/

I personally wish it had a endless mode or a place where you can set the world options like map size etc. That aside you still get a lot of game for your money and is one of the best examples of VR gaming done right.
8.6/10
http://www.gertlushgaming.co.uk/2016/10/25/review-tethered-psvr/

Tethered stands on its own as a well-designed and beautifully crafted strategy game, but as a title for PlayStation VR, it represents the most well-rounded, complete, and enjoyable experience I've had thus far on the platform. At it's asking price, this is something that every VR owner should have in their library.
9/10
http://www.ps4playstation4.com/tethered-review

Despite the impossibility to use a PS Move, the lack of customization for the peeps, a sometimes awkward UI, and the absence of a save feature in the middle of a level, Tethered is a game that is well worth its price and provides many hours of fun, sadness, and awe.
8/10
http://www.playstationvr.us/tethered-review-psvr-feel-like-a-god/

Secret Sorcery's debut VR title Tethered does many things right and provides hours of fun game play. It's the first strategy/god game available for the PlayStation VR and if you happen to like those games, give it a shot!
84/100
http://www.massvr.info/playstation-vr-review-tethered/

Tethered is a delightful experience that shows the immense range of genres that can benefit from being brought to virtual reality. It boasts a playful and thoughtful approach to strategic god games whilst bringing you wholly into its world. For PSVR owners looking for something a little different, Tethered is utterly essential.
9/10
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/10/25/tethered-review/

Added another review and put review scores in - for anyone on the fence about Tethered!

The viewpoint drifting issue seriously kills any joy I have with the system. I've tried endless calibrations, moving the camera all around, different distances, etc.

I hope it's fixed and it seems be software related, because backing into XMB it's all fine and centred, but the in-game view is completely off.

Putting it away for now... sad

I totally disagree with you in pretty much every way. Apart from that it is not the game to start out with on VR or that it should be used as an initial gauge for VR especially in a demo environment as it requires a bit more set up than most and the demo gives pretty insipid tracks, time of day and car selection and has auto break on as well as a high chance for nausea. Also when people first want to experience VR they want to look around, this isn't DC's strong point it is when you race properly it comes into its own. Looking around is like being a bored passenger, looking through corners and getting as close to loss of control whilst maintaining as much speed as possible is unbelievably good.

I don't know how scaling is off for you, I'm 195m tall and everything is almost close to perfect and I have been in a small amount of cars in the game in real life, some could be a smaller but most of those I want smaller I wouldn't actually be able to fit in because they are tiny. The game is loads better in VR so much so that I have tried out the original and Project Cars since and I can't play them any more, assuming you like the original as it is the same game with the same handling model with some visual features cut but the majority are still intact and don't mind the loss of fidelity it is fantastic. Takes longer than most games to get set up properly due to different car setups but once that is sorted the immersion is brilliant, only time it gets broken once adjusted to the blur is if the game drops the resolution which it can do usually in races, the game also looks a lot better either at 13:00 or 00:00 due to sunsets/sunrises not working well with the display and whatever solutions they have used to get the game running.
Eh. It's a cobbled together blurry mess. I'm fairly tall IRL but it's the only game where I feel like everything is tiny no matter how I position myself in vehicle. I've been working on and tracking cars since I can remember so maybe I'm tainted by real life :p Season is over, though. I'll try it again before the season starts next year with a clean break from behind the wheel but my first impression with DC was that it was the worst of the VR bunch. Driving with your head out the window was fun, though. I just can't feel situated in it. Perhaps with a wheel, seat, clutch and harness I'd feel better but I'm not going that far XD

Fisty

How is Super Stardust? I don't think I've heard a word about it. Is it even out?

It's great, the base game is fantastic in VR, and a pretty natural extension of what you'd expect VR to bring to Super Stardust.

The DLC VR mode, Invasion, is a bit meh. It's a great intro to getting the hang of moving yourself in VR, imo. It's kinda like RIGS in how it controls, but with a little Stardust flair on it where enemies will come in waves, you blow them up, get weapon upgrades, repeat. If you haven't played SSD before or you are starving for VR content I would say it's definitely worth the purchase.

Eh. It's a cobbled together blurry mess. I'm fairly tall IRL but it's the only game where I feel like everything is tiny no matter how I position myself in vehicle. I've been working on and tracking cars since I can remember so maybe I'm tainted by real life :p Season is over, though. I'll try it again before the season starts next year with a clean break from behind the wheel but my first impression with DC was that it was the worst of the VR bunch. Driving with your head out the window was fun, though. I just can't feel situated in it. Perhaps with a wheel, seat, clutch and harness I'd feel better but I'm not going that far XD

Blur except for looking around doesn't bother me in the slightest as vibration from racing always fucks with your vision, being use to going fast in a variety of wet conditions, in old bangers and race cars, as well as being used to wearing a helmet (which the HMD helps add to the immersion massively) all go to help lessen the fidelity issues whilst racing. Apart from the blur which does let the game down even though I don't find it much of an issue it certainly doesn't feel like it is cobbled together but I do expect it to handle like DC not RL.

Can someone please help me?

What's the best way to fix the problem of shifting viewpoint to the left?

Whenever I play thumper, after a few minutes the entire game shifts to the left and I have to turn my body and after a few mins it becomes unplayable.

I've researched and tried a few things like recalibration and moving the camera around but to no avail.

Please help thumper is my new crack

iratA

Loading Human is pretty neat. Nearly finished it, it has some slightly weird controls (playing with two moves) but after 30 or so minutes I was completely absorbed in its world. I have a feeling I may end up liking it more than Wayward Sky and I really liked that one. Will update when finished.

vpance

The viewpoint drifting issue seriously kills any joy I have with the system. I've tried endless calibrations, moving the camera all around, different distances, etc.

I hope it's fixed and it seems be software related, because backing into XMB it's all fine and centred, but the in-game view is completely off.

Putting it away for now... sad

What's the closest distance you tried?

Some games are just worse than others, although that might also be down to how much you move your head.

I use 2 cameras now, one on top of the TV and the other at the base and plug whichever one I need to if I want to stand or sit. Angle and height seems to be super important, and you want it aimed pretty much parallel to your head.

iratA

It's great, the base game is fantastic in VR, and a pretty natural extension of what you'd expect VR to bring to Super Stardust.

The DLC VR mode, Invasion, is a bit meh. It's a great intro to getting the hang of moving yourself in VR, imo. It's kinda like RIGS in how it controls, but with a little Stardust flair on it where enemies will come in waves, you blow them up, get weapon upgrades, repeat. If you haven't played SSD before or you are starving for VR content I would say it's definitely worth the purchase.

Yeah Stardust's separate VR mode can be finished in about an hour. Its quite fun, and I wish there was more too it. I don't see it holding people's attention, nor is it the Go-to experience on the system right now.

jonezer4

I've had this problem in VR Worlds -- London Heist shooting range. Powering down everything worked.

The really weird part is when the issue presented itself, and I hit the Playstation Button to go to the PS OS menu, the home screen comes up perfectly centered. That seems to indicate it's a software bug in the game(s), and not something in the VR tracking layer itself.

Danger ball is really amazing!

Playstation VR world will be remembered fondly in the future just like PS1 Demo1.

Love every game on it. Crazy variety too.

Yes! Finally I see someone else praising it. I couldn't stop playing it. Finally had to stop because my wife wanted to try job simulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom