• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Sounds great. I bought it and I will have time to play it this weekend.
Love God/Strategy games.

There is so little coverage of Windlands it is criminal, it is probably the best example for people on the fence about VR who love single player action adventures and want that experience. Wanna be able to jump like mario, well here you go. Wanna explore like Samus (one of the first things you do is the multiple wall jump) this is the game. Want to shoot through the air like the guy in Just Cause you will be doing that a lot. If you like mastering gameplay mechanics this has it and going by the collectables and trophies that is intended.

Damn it is good. Very intense the most intense game I have played by far, most intense thing for me is when you overshoot something only to turn around and not be able to grab hold of anything and you brain panics like you are actually going to fall, similar to when you fall rock climbing but have a belay in place, you know you are safe but you shit it anyway. After 10 times doing that in a row in a short period of time I need a break but its so damn fun. No game has got me on the falling stomach lurch expect for this, and it pulls the same as a forward facing fan drop and close to a bungie jump in terms of sensation. Might be one of my favourite games, too early to say but so far it is looking that way.

Mechanics are much better with the advanced rope option, allows you to be far more precise and do stuff you wouldn't normally be able to. Don't know how a move controller would work as it feel like the analogues are vital for the platforming elements.

Chris_C

The controls, whether using two wands or a controller, are extremely awkward. It's inaccurate and involves a lot of jarring, instant changing of direction.

The visuals are very unimpressive. Not a big deal, but it does detract from the experience. The voice acting isn't bad, per se, just not very earnest most of the time. Hard to explain.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like it isn't worth the price, which is a bummer as I want a nice meaty experience that makes use of motion controls. (Already burned through Batman!)

boostron

Neo Member
Yep I was previously close on 10-11ft away and had awful drift in Driveclub, I now bring in a single chair and sit 3-4 ft away and everything is perfect.

Same. I was dragging my damn couch around every night. Gave up and just grabbed a chair. Just wanting to use my wife's baby feeding chair. It puts all other chairs to shame in terms of comfort.

androvsky

That's because the PSVR doesn't support 3D video for some fucking reason...
It doesnt support 3D video in the media player, but the dedicated VR video apps do support 3D video. Invasion is one of them since it's its own app; the Vrideo app has a bunch of 3D 360 videos too.

Ammogeddon

There is so little coverage of Windlands it is criminal, it is probably the best example for people on the fence about VR who love single player action adventures and want that experience. Wanna be able to jump like mario, well here you go. Wanna explore like Samus (one of the first things you do is the multiple wall jump) this is the game. Want to shoot through the air like the guy in Just Cause you will be doing that a lot. If you like mastering gameplay mechanics this has it and going by the collectables and trophies that is intended.

Damn it is good. Very intense the most intense game I have played by far, most intense thing for me is when you overshoot something only to turn around and not be able to grab hold of anything and you brain panics like you are actually going to fall, similar to when you fall rock climbing but have a belay in place, you know you are safe but you shit it anyway. After 10 times doing that in a row in a short period of time I need a break but its so damn fun. No game has got me on the falling stomach lurch expect for this, and it pulls the same as a forward facing fan drop and close to a bungie jump in terms of sensation. Might be one of my favourite games, too early to say but so far it is looking that way.

Mechanics are much better with the advanced rope option, allows you to be far more precise and do stuff you wouldn't normally be able to. Don't know how a move controller would work as it feel like the analogues are vital for the platforming elements.

It was a toss up between Windlands or Tethered. Went with Tethered for now, no regrets. Hopefully they'll sort the price out for Windlands on PSN soon then I'll get it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just noticed psvr is currently sold out on amazon right now. And the bundle is getting sold second hand for $640+.

Wow

Alec

Did you play it on Vive? I played it on Day 1 of Vive's release and it was basically complete garbage, IMO. Is it better on PSVR?

Did you play it on Vive? I played it on Day 1 of Vive's release and it was basically complete garbage, IMO. Is it better on PSVR?

I have only played Project Cars on a Vive. I'm playing it with no comfort settings, advanced controls, sitting down. Plays like a twin stick FPS, but aiming with the head with that set up you have to choose to pull the rope in or have it loose which also makes the game feel much faster than Thumper and Driveclub in the Hyper cars assuming you don't fuck up. When I first started to play it was a bit like Grow Home, simply because I was shit and ended up climbing things, changed a few of the settings and the game opened up properly.

Chris_C

Is Tethered really supposed to be $32.99 on the US Store? That's a pretty odd price. Why not $29.99 or $34.99?

EDIT: I see there's a 10% discount for Plus members. Why do I get the feeling the odd $32.99 price is there so that they can still get $30 from Plus members even with the discount?

EDIT 2: Also weird that the store reports it as a 1.58GB download, but it's actually 3+GB.

rcl66

Why don't trophies show up when wearing the headset and playing a VR game? Drives me crazy to get a trophy and not know it because I'm wearing the headset. I assume this isn't just me.

Chris_C

Why don't trophies show up when wearing the headset and playing a VR game? Drives me crazy to get a trophy and not know it because I'm wearing the headset. I assume this isn't just me.

Personally, I'd really rather they don't pop up as it would feel intrusive. I don't play games just for the trophies, and can always check the dashboard later. That said, I imagine that the VR firmware will evolve over time to give folks the option.

bumpkin

There's nothing better, than showing a VR Non-Believer, PSVR for the first time...

https://youtu.be/qPX7igHdeF4
Love it. I wish the video my wife captured of our friend trying Ocean Descent and freaking out was on YouTube. She only uploaded it to Facebook though. Like, she didn't even get to the shark. The cage had just started descending and this was what she said:

Are we moving? Oh hell no. Oh god, what's that? Oh god, no, we’re going in the dark. No, no, no, no, no. Get it off!

And then she proceeded to remove the headset very quickly. It was a riot, her husband was laughing his ass off.

Z3M0G

Was wondering can PSVR display PS3 3D games like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3?

I'm not sure how it would do it for PS3 games... you can't play them on a PS4.

A PS4 3D game, however, such as Trine 2... I would like to know the answer.

Fuck I wish I could afford a PSVR... there is so much stuff like this I want to test!

Ozorov

I ordered them a few months ago. I figured they would be hard to get once PSVR launched. I read on Reddit ( I guess) that amazon.fr has them in stock very frequently.
Smart move ;). I've already paid for the bundle so I'll just wait until it arrives in november I guess.

Glix

Any played Pixel Gear? There is nothing I like more than a good light gun game but it looks terrible. Would love some impressions.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Finished up Batman VR. I definitely felt more satisfied with this game than I was expecting. I originally preordered the game, but dropped it after watching a play through, only to order it again.

Thoughts:
- Just being in VR makes everything much more interesting to interact with
- The story is short, and really could have used a couple more scenes
- Riddler puzzles ended up being pretty fun to dig around for
- Target practice was frustrating until I realized how the homing worked
- Was really having some tracking issues with this game and moved my camera setup a bit closer which helped a bunch
- Could use seated vehicle modes, and some sort of combat.
- I would definitely pay for an expanded full game with more content.

Funny enough the story for me in Batman VR is what caught my attention and shocked me. By the end I left SOOO satisfied and happy. I'd buy one of these a year for $20 for 90 minutes of content. The writing and voice acting is so good.

Glix

Personally, I'd really rather they don't pop up as it would feel intrusive. I don't play games just for the trophies, and can always check the dashboard later. That said, I imagine that the VR firmware will evolve over time to give folks the option.

Trophies or not, I'd still love to be able to see when my buddies invite me to a party for NHL time or whatever. It's kind of annoying. They hopefully will patch it in.

I REALLY wish it could interface with my phone like they are doing with GEARVR so I could see texts or who is calling me. Sucks to have to take the headset off.

Glix

Funny enough the story for me in Batman VR is what caught my attention and shocked me. By the end I left SOOO satisfied and happy. I'd buy one of these a year for $20 for 90 minutes of content. The writing and voice acting is so good.

I agree with this 100%

My only complaint about the game is the black transitions where you hear the batmobile, batplane, whatever.

Even some kind of non interactive travel scene would be SOOOOO much better. Its the only thing in the game that "takes you out" of the experience.

Z3M0G

That's a damned fine question. I wonder why none of us have thought to look into this.

I've been wondering about stuff like this all along... I think it was confirmed that 3D Blu-Rays won't play in 3D yet... but I still wanna test it myself. I think that is coming down the pipe.

But an actual 3D game like Trine 2 in Cinema mode could be amazing!

Any other 3D games on PS4?

Any played Pixel Gear? There is nothing I like more than a good light gun game but it looks terrible. Would love some impressions.
It's fun and the Move precision is insane, IMO. Looking at Job Sim and Until Dawn I'm curious what PG does to make move pinpoint accurate.

I'm easily double tapping headshots at range and doing it fast on knights.

Phaenos

So last night I was playing TumbleVR and experienced my first software crash while wearing the headset. The fleeting seconds leading into the crash were extremely disorienting and painful to my eyes. I also felt very sick immediately after and had to turn the PS4 off. I haven't had a game give me motion sickness or nausea yet, but the brief world warping and color assault that happened as the game crashed completely wrecked me for the rest of the night.

Here's hoping that software crashes are very rare occurrences, because I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom