• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briarios

So, some of the games releasing are a bit more expensive than I was hoping -- I'm probably going to pick up Tethered -- but then between Windlands, Wayward Sky, and Bound ... I'm really torn.

For the first time ever, I'm taking advantage of the Playstation Store's wishlist function lol

Glix

It's fun and the Move precision is insane, IMO. Looking at Job Sim and Until Dawn I'm curious what PG does to make move pinpoint accurate.

I'm easily double tapping headshots at range and doing it fast on knights.

Nice! I was worried it was janky, willl certainly grab it now.

It does and you can.

Thank you!

So last night I was playing TumbleVR and experienced my first software crash while wearing the headset. The fleeting seconds leading into the crash were extremely disorienting and painful to my eyes. I also felt very sick immediately after and had to turn the PS4 off. I haven't had a game give me motion sickness or nausea yet, but the brief world warping and color assault that happened as the game crashed completely wrecked me for the rest of the night.

Here's hoping that software crashes are very rare occurrences, because I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone...

I had the camera invert everything so looking left looked right in the headset and up was down, I was playing batman and I almost fell over hard. it was pretty scary.

Apples_89

I thought for sure I read an article stating that Robinson was going to be a full priced ($60 USD) title, but on Amazon it's $40 USD / $50 CAD; anyone know if this is a pricing error?

I thought for sure I read an article stating that Robinson was going to be a full priced ($60 USD) title, but on Amazon it's $40 USD / $50 CAD; anyone know if this is a pricing error?

I would bite. I can't find prices for the Netherlands ( probably digital only release ) but in Germany ( Amazon ) the price is 69,99 euro

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is the Bound demo not playable on the PSVR disc? It is the only demo that only lets me "buy" when clicked and has no "play" option to select unlike the rest.

Also goddamn I may have to buy Wayward Sky. Sort of reminds me slightly of Zack and Wiki...actually Capcom should totally port Zack and Wiki to PSVR...

So far I've tried the demos for EVE, Rez, and Wayward Sky.

I have also tried the Street Luge, space game, and London Heist from Playstation Worlds.

So far, everything has made me some degree of sick. The demos were definitely better for me so I think I will definitely get Rez. The Street Luge made me immediately ill, as in, within seconds of starting. The space game didn't really start bothering me until the section jumping between asteroids.

So far it's a pretty bad start, and I certainly don't feel good about spending that kind of money on something I can only play for 10 minutes at a time.

I'm surprised to be this sensitive to it. I have a Gear VR for my phone and very little on that has made me immediately uncomfortable.

Experiment with your IPD in settings, you shouldn't have any eyestrain and should be able to view everything pretty naturally.

I settled on an IPD of 50 which is much lower than I ever got from the calibration method that Sony wants you to use. I used to feel a bit disoriented when removing the headset, blurry vision. Once I found the best spot manually for how my eyes converge on an object, all that went away.

Here is a cheat sheet so you can test where your eyes can relax and feel the most natural...

https://m.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comment..._sheet/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Brandon F

I already own Rise of the Tomb Raider but the VR mode included doesn't look good, but I'll probably still try it.

TR VR impressed the shit out of me. I greatly enjoyed exploring the mansion and uncovering all sorts of bits of lore wandering about. Very similar to the Batman VR game(though it features less item manipulation), but ultimately its a very nice bit of fanservice that shouldn't disappoint as a bonus DLC mode(lasts a couple hours or slightly more to do everything).

Brandon F

So far, everything has made me some degree of sick. The demos were definitely better for me so I think I will definitely get Rez. The Street Luge made me immediately ill, as in, within seconds of starting. The space game didn't really start bothering me until the section jumping between asteroids.

So far it's a pretty bad start, and I certainly don't feel good about spending that kind of money on something I can only play for 10 minutes at a time.

I'm surprised to be this sensitive to it. I have a Gear VR for my phone and very little on that has made me immediately uncomfortable.

To be fair, these two demos(alongside Driveclub VR) have had the most overwhelming amount of complaints regarding making people sick or nauseous. I have yet to try either as I don't own Worlds, but seems you just chose the roughest products as you get your VR legs wet... Give more demos a shot for sure before buyers remorse sets in and avoid those until you acclimate more.

SHarris78

I've tried loads of games and have felt no motion sickness whatsoever, until Here They Lie. The combination of the movement and blurryness has left me close to throwing up.

Grinchy

Banned
Is the Bound demo not playable on the PSVR disc? It is the only demo that only lets me "buy" when clicked and has no "play" option to select unlike the rest.

They are going to have a standalone demo up soon. I'm waiting for Super Hypercube's demo to come up for the US as well.

I've tried loads of games and have felt no motion sickness whatsoever, until Here They Lie. The combination of the movement and blurryness has left me close to throwing up.
I see lots of people saying that. It didn't give me any issues at all, but the game itself just seemed so shitty. It was so muddy that you could barely even make out any details and the jump scares were so pathetic. It just felt like a game with no substance.

Just played the Tethered tutorial level. Wow, this is awesome! I actually feel like a titan watching the little peeps doing their work. And it looks so lovely!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Omg Thumper is an unbelievable game.

I tried the demo, beat it and instantly bought it on psn.

It's the most amazing game I've played in awhile. It's the perfect vr game especially in vr mode. What a rush.

Anyone know how long it is? I'm currently on level 2.

Once you get to Level 4 you will DIE!!!

Experiment with your IPD in settings, you shouldn't have any eyestrain and should be able to view everything pretty naturally.

I settled on an IPD of 50 which is much lower than I ever got from the calibration method that Sony wants you to use. I used to feel a bit disoriented when removing the headset, blurry vision. Once I found the best spot manually for how my eyes converge on an object, all that went away.

Here is a cheat sheet so you can test where your eyes can relax and feel the most natural...

https://m.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comment..._sheet/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

When you manually did the test, what IPD did it give you? I get 60, but I played around with it a lot and could never get Rez to look right.

My eyes will not focus on Rez for the life of me, and I'm not seeing any reports about this. I don't have this problem in area x or any other PSVR title, and I don't understand it. When I play Rez, it's as if I see the game cross-eyed and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite games of all time. I powered thru it anyway, so I could see area x, and surprisingly, my eyes see that normally, just like all the other PSVR games.

Any ideas about this?

Once you get to Level 4 you will DIE!!!
^ posted from
logo.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Managed to get Batman working properly and 10 minutes later I'm chickening out haha. Really fun though, feels great to play.

The bit with Robin in the cage was great, and I proper jumped when the Croc dude jumped out at me. Then I went into the Asylum and started opening the doors and the Joker pops up, asking me to lean in to him. Noped out big time.

The spoiler here is some of the stuff that I was talking about when it comes to the Batman VR story. It truly is an actual Rockstar game when it comes to the writting. So good and great surprises.

My friend is a Batman fan and freaked out at the most basic stuff you can do as Batman. But I didn't let him play more than the first 20 minutes. Once I beat it though, I realized that Rockstar is literally going to leave millions on the table if they don't make another one of these. I'd pay $60 FULL PRICE, for a 6 hour Batman VR 2 game.

xJavonta

Banned
Anyone know how to go about setting up the proper IPD if you have two different IPD numbers for your right and left eye on your actual prescription?

Edit:
I'm 34 and 34.5. I'll add them up and try the 68mm setting when I get home to see how it feels

Soi-Fong

The spoiler here is some of the stuff that I was talking about when it comes to the Batman VR story. It truly is an actual Rockstar game when it comes to the writting. So good and great surprises.

My friend is a Batman fan and freaked out at the most basic stuff you can do as Batman. But I didn't let him play more than the first 20 minutes. Once I beat it though, I realized that Rockstar is literally going to leave millions on the table if they don't make another one of these. I'd pay $60 FULL PRICE, for a 6 hour Batman VR 2 game.

You mean Rocksteady right?

Samus4145

Just played the Tethered tutorial level. Wow, this is awesome! I actually feel like a titan watching the little peeps doing their work. And it looks so lovely!

It sure is. Did a recording of the Tutorial (with crappy commentary) if anyone wants to see the game. I should say it doesn't look half as good on the Social Screen as it does in the headset. Roughly 20 minutes to do the tutorial and then showed the next level briefly. Hope it does well, since I am really enjoying the game. Like, it's REALLY good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lM4146gLc0

warthog

About to join the fun on Thursday or Friday. Had it pre-ordered from the start, but didn't have the time to pick it up yet. My hype for psvr had substantially died down also, but reading this thread sure has brought it back.

I called EB Games (I am in Canada) and they said they would exchange my headset with a core unit.

I got the bundle but because they are all sold out of bundles they are nice enough to give me a core unit in exchange for my headset.

I just couldn't handle the dead pixel any longer, I noticed it day one and I just moved on thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, but after using it for almost 2 weeks now it has become the number 1 thing I see when I use the damn thing.

I am not usually picky with dead pixels on phones and tablets I've purchased, but when the screen is right up to your face and eyes it is very hard to ignore it.

I will be going after work to do the exchange.

It sure is. Did a recording of the Tutorial (with crappy commentary) if anyone wants to see the game. I should say it doesn't look half as good on the Social Screen as it does in the headset. Roughly 20 minutes to do the tutorial and then showed the next level briefly. Hope it does well, since I am really enjoying the game. Like, it's REALLY good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lM4146gLc0

Great vid and what a councidence! I've just watched this before returning to GAF. You did good! I've enjoyed watching it! Would you recommend this to newcomers ( on strategy games that is )

When you manually did the test, what IPD did it give you? I get 60, but I played around with it a lot and could never get Rez to look right.

My eyes will not focus on Rez for the life of me, and I'm not seeing any reports about this. I don't have this problem in area x or any other PSVR title, and I don't understand it. When I play Rez, it's as if I see the game cross-eyed and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite games of all time. I powered thru it anyway, so I could see area x, and surprisingly, my eyes see that normally, just like all the other PSVR games.

Any ideas about this?

Doing the IPD test that is in settings gives me 59-61, measuring my infinity convergence with a ruler gives me about a 63. After doing lots of tests between looking at screen warp when moving my head left to right on the main PlayStation menu at various measurements and looking at different games (the extreme being Rez which I'll get to in a moment) I've settled on 50, obviously much lower than I've measured through other means. At this point 50 gives me the best balance and makes objects look like their "normal" most natural size.

I recall when first messing with 3D on a 3DS how some games had this incredibly eye murdering focal point where everything felt too "big" like I either couldn't open my eyes wide enough or, on the other end, had to cross my eyes to attempt to see naturally. In the early days lots of games had varying degrees of this and there was less commonality as you get with 3D games now.

Rez. Starting with the photosensitivity warning screen, I can't get this screen to look natural at any measurement, the lower I go the better, but it's still uncomfortable. Then the logos after that are still unnatural. The menu screen is a bit better and Area X in general is the most comfortable but there is still something very off about the way the 3D is presented to my eyes in Rez.....I used this game as a comparison point with others as an extreme when finding what balance I needed.

Overall, once I got my IPD comfortable lots of things that have me slight motion sickness disappeared completely, my main example for now is RIGs, I can turn with the right stick at the highest speed setting and fly all over that arena, it's super fun :)

Obviously this is just for me and my eyes but I think in general there really should be an easier way to change and experiment with the IPD numbers so each person can find what suits them best. Go and experiment!

DjRalford

I bought Tethered in the end this morning, left it downloading whilst i slept and haven't had a chance to play yet, can't wait to give it a go.

DavidDesu

I found the IPD calibration either gives me a higher figure than it should be, or, just doesn't give the correct result...

I found rigging it to give me a lower one by about 4 or 5 mm gave me a much more natural sense of scale in Driveclub. Before with the calibrated setting the cockpits of all the cars just felt a touch too small, the steering wheel being the main thing you notice looking smaller than it should. I changed it to an extremely small setting and everything was too big, the steering wheels more like wheels on a ship, lol, so went for something in between and it felt just right. Also seemed to make the balls in VR Worlds feel a bit bigger and just made everything look a slight bit more correct.

It's an important setting to get right hence why Sony should put a live calibration mode and use a virtual model of the controller as the perfect point of comparison to use to get it setup right.

RIGS (in Demo form anyways) is the first game to give my brain a sense of actual movement despite the brief elevator bit in Arkham VR. Particularly the respawn screen.

I wish I had the cash to buy this right now (and SportsBarVR) because this is seems like the most intense game on the platform and that's exactly what I'm hungry for.

Zalusithix

Obviously this is just for me and my eyes but I think in general there really should be an easier way to change and experiment with the IPD numbers so each person can find what suits them best. Go and experiment!

I don't know why Sony didn't make it a knob or rocker switch on the headset. It's so easy on the Vive. Just rotate the knob at any time to change the IPD. A heads up display pops up with the current IPD and then goes away. Some of the corner cutting Sony did with the PSVR just makes no sense to me.

Doing the IPD test that is in settings gives me 59-61, measuring my infinity convergence with a ruler gives me about a 63. After doing lots of tests between looking at screen warp when moving my head left to right on the main PlayStation menu at various measurements and looking at different games (the extreme being Rez which I'll get to in a moment) I've settled on 50, obviously much lower than I've measured through other means. At this point 50 gives me the best balance and makes objects look like their "normal" most natural size.

I recall when first messing with 3D on a 3DS how some games had this incredibly eye murdering focal point where everything felt too "big" like I either couldn't open my eyes wide enough or, on the other end, had to cross my eyes to attempt to see naturally. In the early days lots of games had varying degrees of this and there was less commonality as you get with 3D games now.

Rez. Starting with the photosensitivity warning screen, I can't get this screen to look natural at any measurement, the lower I go the better, but it's still uncomfortable. Then the logos after that are still unnatural. The menu screen is a bit better and Area X in general is the most comfortable but there is still something very off about the way the 3D is presented to my eyes in Rez.....I used this game as a comparison point with others as an extreme when finding what balance I needed.

Overall, once I got my IPD comfortable lots of things that have me slight motion sickness disappeared completely, my main example for now is RIGs, I can turn with the right stick at the highest speed setting and fly all over that arena, it's super fun :)

Hm, it sounds like you were unable to dial it in completely for Rez then. I did experiment using that manual IPD setting trick, and was never able to see Rez correctly. The game is clearly doing something differently than the other games. I've played Playroom VR, Thumper, Tumble, Gunjack, the Shin Godzilla thing, all of the demo disc, Pixel Gear, and all of the video apps, including Allumette and my eye convergence and depth perception on all of them is great. Same with area x. It's really strange.

It's an important setting to get right hence why Sony should put a live calibration mode and use a virtual model of the controller as the perfect point of comparison to use to get it setup right.

Live calibration ftw. Give us a realtime slider Sony. Just like 3DS. Now, it's to much of a hassle. Of all the time spend in VR I spend way too much time calibrating settings.

Fisty

That's interesting because I've played a LOT of Rez on VR, and the photosensitivity warning is like sticking a fork in my eyeball, and the dev splash screens (pure white) make me feel like I just looked at the Ark of the Covenant. Once I drop to the menu with Eden floating there, everything is completely fine just like the rest of the game. VR is weird

Well the Guerilla Cambridge guys and gals are no suprise amazing at rigs. Got totally destroyed........but loved every minute of it.

I'm hoping they do it again :)

Is VEV: Viva Ex Vivo™‎ VR Edition worth buying for 5 bucks on the euro psn ?

Yep, I really enjoy it, and at $5 you will not be disappointed. You need to be sure to go slow with it. You definitely need to get your VR legs underneath you for this one. Here are my impressions after about 30 minutes with it in the Tutorial Sample Level. In my impressions I explain what the game is about, so it should give you a good idea of the game.

Plus, It was co-developed by Gaffer m0dus!!

I don't know why Sony didn't make it a knob or rocker switch on the headset. It's so easy on the Vive. Just rotate the knob at any time to change the IPD. A heads up display pops up with the current IPD and then goes away. Some of the corner cutting Sony did with the PSVR just makes no sense to me.
I wish they did, too. But, cost/weight. The software ipd is more than likely a result of single screen.

My biggest issue with all VR headsets, at this point, is periphery. I wider FoV would do wonders to create even more presence in games. Heres hoping PSVR2 hits with wider view and manual IPD.

VR is legit AF, even with current graphics levels. I'm in for the long haul here on out. I'd easily pay more seeing how good it is now.

Sidon

lol Peter Molyneux will go ballistic over Tethered.

mind_blown.gif

My daughter was all over it while I was playing it...she's 7 though, and I don't want her exposed to any HMD tech yet. That went well.

At this point, I'm seriously considering a PS4 Pro. OMG these last few months are killing my wallet. :)

Zalusithix

I wish they did, too. But, cost/weight. The software ipd is more than likely a result of single screen.

I'm not suggesting they should have went with dual screens like the Vive/Rift where the IPD adjustment is physical as well as software, but simply to have put physical controls on the headset to digitally adjust the IPD in software. The additional cost of a couple of buttons or jog wheel would have been pennies and the additional weight would have been imperceptible. Heck, for weight they could put it on the back side and reduced the weight of the ballasts to compensate for it. Zero net gain in weight.

ckohler

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I found a surprising amount of detailed information regarding best camera position... this time directly from Sony! I found it on the following support page:
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...g-started/ps-vr--how-get-the-best-experience/

It says:

PlayStation Camera set up
  • Place the camera in a vibration-free location.
  • Place your PlayStation Camera (PS Camera) about 1.4m (4’7”) from the floor.
  • If you are using PlayStation Move motion controllers, try placing your PS Camera slightly higher than 1.4m (4’7”), as this can sometimes improve tracking. Try placing it on top of your TV screen.
  • Stand or sit about 1.4m - 2m (4'7" - 6’) away from the PS Camera and play directly in front of it.
  • Make sure the PS Camera can see the VR headset to stop ‘Out of Play Area’ messages. Long press the PS button on your controller to open the quick menu and go to [Adjust PlayStation VR] > [Confirm Your Position] and re-centre yourself in the play area.
  • Try to reduce colours in the play area that match the colours of the lights on the VR headset (blue), DualShock 4 wireless controller (red, magenta and cyan) and PS Move motion controllers (red and magenta). This includes wearing clothes in contrasting colours to make sure the lights can be picked up.
  • If the colour of the light on your controller is not being picked up go to the PS4 home screen and go to [Settings] > [Devices] > [PlayStation VR] > [Tracking Lights] > [Controllers] and press (X button) on any controllers you want to check. Your PS4 will check to find out if another colour will be picked up better by the PS Camera.
  • If your DualShock 4 wireless controller is connected to your PS4 system with the charging cable, this can sometimes interfere with the PlayStation Camera's view of the light bar. Play wirelessly to stop this issue.
  • Make sure the lenses are clean using the supplied microfiber cloth.
I'm surprised to see such a precise height recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom