• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

lol Yeah this is the one that's sold out. I have a feeling it's a bunch of PSVR users buying this.

I think I just got the last one.

when I searched it through my Amazon app, it said sold out.

but when using this work browser.. it said one left.

so we'll see.

edit- by the way, thankx Jacksinthe.

jrcbandit

Is that just a brush?

It's a brush on one end, the other end has a microfiber knob or whatever the material is plus a thin layer of carbon to wipe away smudges. Apparently, the cap has a carbon reservoir in the top so when you put the pen back into the cap and twist it refreshes the microfiber part to give it more carbon.

It's a brush on one end, the other end has a microfiber knob or whatever the material is plus a thin layer of carbon to wipe away smudges. Apparently, the cap has a carbon reservoir in the top so when you put the pen back into the cap and twist it refreshes the microfiber part to give it more carbon.

Holy shit, there's another end of this thing. I had no idea.

Won't the black stuff get on the lenses?

tr00per

So I'm not sure how to phrase this... But the very slight snow or static that i see when I'm not focusing on the game... Is that supposed to be that way... It doesn't interfere with the game... I just want to make sure I'm supposed to be seeing it

You mean that up close grey blank screen that appears when you start a game or are on a loading screen? That's supposed to happen. I wish it was just black because it makes my eyes focus too close. I just close my eyes and wait for it to pass

Might order this then. Hearing good stuff about it.

It's only a few bucks, works great.

Will do this next time.

Cleaned them up quick! Will be ordering more of these as backup. That little charcoal pad works wonders. Also the micro brush is great, too.

Thanks, dude!

Welcome :D

Holy shit, there's another end of this thing. I had no idea.

Won't the black stuff get on the lenses?

Nope, had no idea too, but when I bought my first lenspen ( I did some photography as a hobby ) the guy who sold it, told me that people used newspapers ( there is charcoal in the inkt) to clean windows. Long ago that is.

Wanted to chime in for those of you considering Here They Lie or Loading Human: Chapter One. Also a few thoughts on Sports Bar.

Today was the first day that my PSVR had tracking issues. These issues made Sports Bar unplayable. FWIW, i've never been able to figure out Sports Bar, but today's jitters were particularly egregious. Still want it to be cool, though, so I'll try again later.

Here They Lie - what a pleasant surprise. Particularly the control scheme. It uses the dual shock, but also has full movement with the analogues. If you're in swivel chair, you can simply spin in the direction you'd like to go, and push forward. Otherwise, use the right analogue to turn in the desired direction. A brief, but gentle, fade-to-black allows you to easily switch directions w/o nausea.

The game is all atmospheric. Reminds a little of the early stages of R4. '

Turned on The Heist and I had tracking issue everywhere - turned on Batman no issues, everything perfect.

Wouldn't Sony want to represent their tech much more and better than their 3rd party?!

I got the full version of Battlezone. It was quite cool but actually made me queasy after a few levels. Rotating the tank was especially bad.

This is the second game after Windland to do so. I really hope it won't be a recurring theme. At least with Battlezone I can sell mt copy.

You mean that up close grey blank screen that appears when you start a game or are on a loading screen? That's supposed to happen. I wish it was just black because it makes my eyes focus too close. I just close my eyes and wait for it to pass

No thats not what I'm talking about... Like it kinda only moves when i move my head and its not part of any game... Like hazy pixelation thats kinda in the background... So hard to explain

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Turned on The Heist and I had tracking issue everywhere - turned on Batman no issues, everything perfect.

Check your set up. I had no issues with The Heist using move controllers once I was set up correctly.

I got the full version of Battlezone. It was quite cool but actually made me queasy after a few levels. Rotating the tank was especially bad.

This is the second game after Windland to do so. I really hope it won't be a recurring theme. At least with Battlezone I can sell mt copy.
I would recommend building up your VR legs using games with minimal movement. Both of those game would be deemed 'intense' relative to VR motion.

bumpkin

I did it... I finally won the fucking tournament in Danger Ball! It only took me playing it over and over until I mainly faced opponents I can consistently beat in quickplay, but who cares? Winning is winning. I am the champion! lol.

Also, I decided to cancel my Robinson preorder from Amazon in favor of ordering from Best Buy. I should have it Saturday (instead of next week)... I'm so excited. That game was the reason I wanted PSVR. Although I will admit that I've been very happy with the games I've gotten up until now. Icing on the cake, I suppose.

I would recommend building up your VR legs using games with minimal movement. Both of those game would be deemed 'intense' relative to VR motion.

We could probably do with some sort of list for people due to this. Would be a good filter on the PS store as well. The ones I know:

Intense:
Windlands
Driveclub
RIGS
Battlezone
EVE: Valkyrie
Here They Lie

Mild:
Until Dawn
Thumper
Kitchen
Rez Infinite

Light:
Batman
Job Simulator
Tumble VR
Harmonix Music VR
Wayward Sky
Superhypercube
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Tethered
Allumette

Glix

Dear Miz,

How can you only give me one level of this. HOW???? It's the most amazing shit I have ever experienced, holy shit!

Love,

Glix

Lokimaru

Man I why did Sony have to kill Motorstorm, That would be dope as hell in VR. Hell i'd just take a port of the First Game.

sourc3d

Looks like some people are starting to get a hands on with it now though atleast so its not complete vapourware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Vxt7AdbVM

Much like with the VR demo being on Willow Springs the most barren track imaginable, they probably can only run certain tracks at the required framerate without compromising the detail levels so have to bundle that as a 'special tour' mode.

Man I why did Sony have to kill Motorstorm, That would be dope as hell in VR. Hell i'd just take a port of the First Game.

Motorstorm is a game that was ahead of its time probably. Can you imagine how it'd look on a current gen console. It's a real shame. Pacific Rim and Apocalypse were both amazing. Its a shame that it fizzled out but we did get 3 games. Shame DriveClub's launch fiasco killed evolution studios.

I was messing about in Driveclub with the Wombat off-track to get the trophy for it and even though Motorstorm was never a game that clicked with me I now really want VR Motorstorm or something similar.

Not sure about the technical details but it looks like Call of Duty VR experience will be free for all PS4 owners just going by an official tweet:

Pilot your Jackal through intense VR dogfights in the Jackal Assault VR Experience, free for all PS4 owners on November 4. #InfiniteWarfare

https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/793902850661285888

I'm guessing they mean free for those that purchased Infinite Warfare.

We could probably do with some sort of list for people due to this. Would be a good filter on the PS store as well. The ones I know:

Intense:
Windlands
Driveclub
RIGS
Battlezone
EVE: Valkyrie
Here They Lie

Mild:
Until Dawn
Thumper
Kitchen
Rez Infinite

Light:
Batman
Job Simulator
Tumble VR
Harmonix Music VR
Wayward Sky
Superhypercube
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Tethered
Allumette
You forgot VR Worlds:

Intense:
Scavenger's Odyssey
VR Luge

Mild:
London Heist

Light:
Ocean Descent

Dear Miz,

How can you only give me one level of this. HOW???? It's the most amazing shit I have ever experienced, holy shit!

Love,

Glix
Is this about Area X? I found it kind of blurry compared to the base game, and the freedom of movement felt like a gimmick since I still basically had to keep moving forward just like in the base game.

*Splinter

Oh man, if there's any game I want to see a remaster of its the original motorstorm :(

And VR support would be a no brainer. They already patched in 3D support.

Edit: oh man just thinking about how good this would be bums me out, lol. Have to make do with Trackmania (next week!)

crimnos

I've had similar problems, which was quite disappointing since I actually love the game. Experimented with a few different things and found that sucking on peppermint candy keeps the nausea at bay. YMMV, but might be worth a shot.

Playstation 4 Pro Enhanced Launch Day Games for PSVR Announced

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
Super Stardust Ultra
THE PLAYROOM VR
Tumble
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=794132350254727168&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro.

Now that I sold my PS4 and some games and paid off my Pro in full, looks like my next task is purchasing every one of these games, I have 5 so far.

Glix

Is this about Area X? I found it kind of blurry compared to the base game, and the freedom of movement felt like a gimmick since I still basically had to keep moving forward just like in the base game.

Yes it is about area X.

I agree the free movement doesn't make much difference.

I disagree about the visuals they are utterly mind blowing. It's a little softer than regular Rez but I think calling it blurry is overly harsh.

I played through Rez 4 and 5 yesterday and they are amazing in their own right but Area X is on a whole nother level holy shit.

Definitely not complete, e.g. The Assembly was confirmed to support enhanced resolution on Pro as well.

I can add it if you can give me a source, this is straight from Sony so I will take that as the definitive list for now.

No doubt it might be coming but it makes no sense that it wouldn't be listed for a game updated at launch.

I ended up getting my copy of Robinson yesterday. Overall it is good but I have a few nitpicks. The dinosaurs look great and the banter between the kid and his robot buddy is amusing. The environments are relatively big and you have more or less free reign to go wherever you want as you solve puzzles and look for things to scan. Scanning creatures adds them to a infopedia that you can bring up any time, and view little dioramas of them and read a little blurb.

But even with full FPS controls, this game still does the thing where you move in the direction you're looking. So you can't really walk in one direction and look off to the side without lurching that way, unless you can figure out the exact angle to hold the stick to keep going straight. This is totally subjective but I hate when VR games do this to me.

Also, having the hovering hand holding the Move controller looking thing is annoying because you can't ever put it away. So a lot of pretty views are spoiled by the kid holding this big thing 6 inches from his face for no good reason.

Glix

I ended up getting my copy of Robinson yesterday. Overall it is good but I have a few nitpicks. The dinosaurs look great and the banter between the kid and his robot buddy is amusing. The environments are relatively big and you have more or less free reign to go wherever you want as you solve puzzles and look for things to scan. Scanning creatures adds them to a infopedia that you can bring up any time, and view little dioramas of them and read a little blurb.

But even with full FPS controls, this game still does the thing where you move in the direction you're looking. So you can't really walk in one direction and look off to the side without lurching that way, unless you can figure out the exact angle to hold the stick to keep going straight. This is totally subjective but I hate when VR games do this to me.

Also, having the hovering hand holding the Move controller looking thing is annoying because you can't ever put it away. So a lot of pretty views are spoiled by the kid holding this big thing 6 inches from his face for no good reason.

Thanks for the impressions! If you have the time and desire, more details info on what the actual puzzles are like and stuff would be very much appreciated

Concerning the control... If you can only walk straight, this means the game WOULD work with a move controller? (you can just have a button be "walk straight") Or are there other ways that the sticks are used that would make Move-only controls weird?

Planet

I can add it if you can give me a source
Well, there is NeoGAF user Monkeythumbz who calls himself Communications Manager of the developer nDreams. He doesn't sound like an imposter, but I can't vouch for him of course. And he said:
Supersampling support isn't a separate patch, but rather something that's included in The Assembly from launch. The feature is turned on (or turned higher, to be more accurate) automatically if the game detects that it's running on a PS4 Pro.

Thanks for the impressions! If you have the time and desire, more details info on what the actual puzzles are like and stuff would be very much appreciated

Concerning the control... If you can only walk straight, this means the game WOULD work with a move controller? (you can just have a button be "walk straight") Or are there other ways that the sticks are used that would make Move-only controls weird?

So your robot buddy wants you to go around and scan parts of these other robots that are laying around your crash site and/or got grabbed by dinosaurs and carried off. So a puzzle could be partly traversal (how to climb up a cliff ledge or put a piece of crashed ship between two islands to walk across) and then figure out how to scan the part (annoy the dinosaur that's holding it so it drops it.) There's a game mechanic I don't want to spoil outright because I never saw it in any of the videos but it is pretty cool. Spoilers:
You have a baby T rex that you can command to follow you around and roar to scare the other dinos.

About controls... Yes you can move the stick to move in any direction other than forward. However, forward always moves you the way you're looking. So imagine you start walking forward, see something to the right and so you turn your head to look at it. I would prefer if the game kept you walking forward and you were just moving your head. However, the game infers that you wanted to start heading off to the right and so you do. I'm not sure what the best solution is though. Maybe this is the only way to do it but if feels odd to me.

The only thing I could see you not being able to do naturally with the Move controller would be turning. Here turning is done with your head, or with the right stick.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I am very interested in getting a PSVR after trying a friend's out.

Is there actual 3d space movement with PSVR; Ala Vive? I used Vive a couple months ago and it sold me on VR, however, I can't justify $1200 on a GPU+Vive purchase right now and after trying out PSVR it seems like the way to go for $500. Only thing is that my buddy never brought his Move over so I wasn't able to test this myself. For instance I want to be able to walk around in Job Sim like I could with the Vive.

Can anyone answer this?

*Splinter

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I am very interested in getting a PSVR after trying a friend's out.

Is there actual 3d space movement with PSVR; Ala Vive? I used Vive a couple months ago and it sold me on VR, however, I can't justify $1200 on a GPU+Vive purchase right now and after trying out PSVR it seems like the way to go for $500. Only thing is that my buddy never brought his Move over so I wasn't able to test this myself. For instance I want to be able to walk around in Job Sim like I could with the Vive.

Can anyone answer this?
You can but you only have a very small range to move in. It's more designed for twisting/leaning than actually walking around.

Glix

Can anyone answer this?

You can move a step in any direction basically, there are no games as of yet that have you walking around. The camera works best when you are close, so there isn't much room in the frame for you to move or the cam will lose headset.

You CAN turn 360 degrees.

JSR_Cube

Can anyone answer this?

Here's my non-authoritative take on it.

The PSVR has a single camera that maps your movement. The Vive has the two sensors which you install or mount on your ceiling or wherever. Those sensors map out the area that you are allowed to use in VR. PSVR is doing the same thing but since there is only a single camera, there is only a cone shaped area from the camera itself as your play area as opposed to the bigger square area that the Vive uses. Job Simulator works in the same way pretty much on PSVR and Vive because they have defined a small play; however, you can't really walk around much with the PSVR because the play area is smaller.

Kyolux

So your robot buddy wants you to go around and scan parts of these other robots that are laying around your crash site and/or got grabbed by dinosaurs and carried off. So a puzzle could be partly traversal (how to climb up a cliff ledge or put a piece of crashed ship between two islands to walk across) and then figure out how to scan the part (annoy the dinosaur that's holding it so it drops it.) There's a game mechanic I don't want to spoil outright because I never saw it in any of the videos but it is pretty cool. Spoilers:
You have a baby T rex that you can command to follow you around and roar to scare the other dinos.

About controls... Yes you can move the stick to move in any direction other than forward. However, forward always moves you the way you're looking. So imagine you start walking forward, see something to the right and so you turn your head to look at it. I would prefer if the game kept you walking forward and you were just moving your head. However, the game infers that you wanted to start heading off to the right and so you do. I'm not sure what the best solution is though. Maybe this is the only way to do it but if feels odd to me.

The only thing I could see you not being able to do naturally with the Move controller would be turning. Here turning is done with your head, or with the right stick.

So how do you feel about your purchase of the game? Is it worth keeping my pre-order? Comes to $40 with taxes for me on Amazon.ca.. (About 30 USD) Also it, doesn't seem like it'll ship before the 14 or 15 for me for some reason.

Can anyone answer this?

No. Vive is the only one that does proper room scale at the moment but Oculus have just announced another sensor to enable it. With the current tracking system of the PSVR it isn't possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom