• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelrt

The resolution is effectively capped by the resolution of the screen (right?)

However most (all?) games are not yet rendering at the screen's resolution.
Some games arent native and they can render at a higher resolution than the screen and downsample, which will make a huge difference in the image quality even at the screens native resolution.

Playstation 4 Pro Enhanced Launch Day Games for PSVR Announced

UPDATED AGAIN WITH MORE TITLES

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
Super Stardust Ultra
The Assembly (has been patched since launch)
THE PLAYROOM VR
Thumper (updated)
Tumble
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=794132350254727168&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro. Updated with The Assembly and Thumper

Now that I sold my PS4 and some games and paid off my Pro in full, looks like my next task is purchasing every one of these games, I have 5 so far.

That's a very nice list, but I accept it with some caution.

Hustle Kings and Super Stardust Ultra on the blog both link to the PS4 versions rather than the VR ones. Hopefully the VR versions are actually updated, but they aren't mentioned specifically as far as I've seen.

Square Enix have gone to great lengths to show how the main Tomb Raider game has been improved with Pro. I do hope the same attention has been paid to the VR section.

And what about CoD Infinite Warfare? I understand the game is day one for Pro, so Do we think it's safe to assume Jackal Assault VR experience will be offered the same courtesy?

Ozorov

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I want to see how it all shakes out on PS4 Pro and if the enhancements are big enough on PSVR and regular PS4 games, I think I might get one.

Yeah it will be interesting to see! I know Farpoint is said to render with almost 2x the pixels on Pro.

"“Across the board, it’s more crisp. That’s because we are rendering roughly twice as many pixels. So absolutely everything will look clearer,” said Greg Koreman, co-founder of Impulse Gear, the studio behind PS VR exclusive first-person shooter, Farpoint."

I fully agree with this, outside of the visuals which I found mostly mindblowing. After finishing it, I kind of shrugged and felt it was a polished up new chapter for Rez built a few generations beyond the tech capabilities of the Dreamcast, but ultimately more of the same.

Then I started reading and listening to enthusiast/podcast impressions calling it the greatest thing ever devised for VR...and I must be missing something entirely. Neat bonus level(and it would have been killer if the entire game was remastered to match at least visually), but holy fuck the hyperbole is stratospheric on Area X.

The particle effects are magnificent though, but eh.

Man you just missed out on alot of the glory. Sorry. The freedom of movement actually does add to the enjoyment and amazement. Seems like some people here aren't sure how to control the character properly in Area X.

The movement is so good, it's what a Rez sequel needs. And to add to the hyperbole I do think Area X is the best thing I tried on PSVR so far, my dream PSX announcements is a Rez sequel but in the style of Area X. Would be a killer app.

697812.jpg

697813.jpg

697814.jpg

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2016/11/01/103096.html

ok I want this badly

Glix

CORNER CASE ALERT:

So I have been in the habit of powering down the ps4 when I am done rather than rest mode, as everyone advises to prevent drift...

I am not home at the moment and was reading the Bloodborne thread and got inspired to play.

I can't remote play because my PS4 is totally off and not in rest mode. :-(

gogojira

Yeah it will be interesting to see! I know Farpoint is said to render with almost 2x the pixels on Pro.

"“Across the board, it’s more crisp. That’s because we are rendering roughly twice as many pixels. So absolutely everything will look clearer,” said Greg Koreman, co-founder of Impulse Gear, the studio behind PS VR exclusive first-person shooter, Farpoint."

I don't have Farpoint, but that sounds fantastic. At the moment, from that list Rez and VR Worlds apply to me. Definitely looking for more reasons to buy more games soon though, lol.

I don't have Farpoint, but that sounds fantastic. At the moment, from that list Rez and VR Worlds apply to me. Definitely looking for more reasons to buy more games soon though, lol.

Farpoint is set to release in Spring 2017 along with the new gun controller for the Move/PSVR.

Mdk7

Guys please, I need some help.
I turn on my PSVR after a long weekend out, as I also needed to review something, the front lights on the headset are off.
There's now way to turn them back on, only the two blue lights on the back of the headset are working.
The PS4 is seeing the headset, I tried turning the power off for both the headset and the console... nothing happened.
It was working fine 'till last week, FUUUUU.

Did something similar happen to anyone else?

Ogni-XR21

I turn on my PSVR after a long weekend out, as I also needed to review something, the front lights on the headset are off.
There's now way to turn them back on, only the two blue lights on the back of the headset are working.
The PS4 is seeing the headset, I tried turning the power off for both the headset and the console... nothing happened.

Just to make sure, you are aware that the front lights only turn on when camera tracking is active in an actual game and not when powering up the system? Because only the back of the headset lights up to signal the system is on.

Hold down the power button for 7 seconds, until the second beep? Maybe that helps.

Mdk7

Just to make sure, you are aware that the front lights only turn on when camera tracking is active in an actual game and not when powering up the system? Because only the back of the headset lights up to signal the system is on.

I am trying to play Rez, I see the game, no headtracking at all.
And it's not the first time I play it, of course. :/

DjRalford

totally hyped for the Pro and what it can do for PSVR, havent seen anything about Batman VR taking advantage of it though, which is a shame.

Any details on if Tethered will have a pro mode?

Ogni-XR21

I am trying to play Rez, I see the game, no headtracking at all.
And it's not the first time I play it, of course. :/

I thought so, just wanted to make sure. I guess I can only suggest things you already tried, like unplugging and re-connecting everything.

Mdk7

I thought so, just wanted to make sure. I guess I can only suggest things you already tried, like unplugging and re-connecting everything.

I did it once again, not it works. Super super weird, I might still go get this unit changed tomorrow.
Thanks anyway guys!

It's a nice feature if/when you want to play non-VR games and your TV is currently occupied.

Otherwise it's not really worthwhile imo.

Really? I love it, a virtual 226 inch screen! It feel like you're watching it in a movie theatre.

I have watched several movies with it so far and I love it. Can't wait until 3D Blu-Ray support is added.

I wonder if cinema mode will be 'better' on Pro since I've heard it quite low res on vanilla?

It is more of a resolution problem. Some games, those with simple art styles look great on it and can be just as good an experience but those that have been designed with native 1080p and highly detailed are lacklustre in the same way they are playing on a 720p screen. Simply because the reduced pixel count can only show a certain amount of detail.

I personally find the contrast between the black and the bright screen tires my eyes out very quickly and normally I can play regular VR for hours without any problems.

I think it's fun to watch stuff in Hulu with its VR mode and various environments. It's pretty strange that there isn't something similar for playing regular 2d games/the dashboard. Surely it has to be being prepared.

Cinema mode definitely needs some atmosphere options.

The floating black screen gets uncomfortable after a while. Give me outer space and I'm happy.

Phaenos

So how satisfied are you guys with Battlezone? It's still too expensive for me atm.

As someone who doesn't have issues free-movement induced nausea and also owns many of the high-praise games like Rigs, Tethered, Rush of Blood, Thumper, etc...I'd have to honestly say that Battlezone is probably my favorite PSVR game of the bunch. The price is probably $10 too high, but the game has insane replayability for me and I love the hard-as-nails approach. When you get a game with three other good players in co-op, it rivals some of my top game experiences, traditional or VR.

I thought the new Move controllers had the new usb ports. Like the one on the DS4 and cell phones...compared to the PS3 controller usb port type.

Nope. They are all mini USB. The first-party charging cradles don't even use USB to charge, they use the little copper contacts on each side of the USB port.

VR legs is a real thing, finally finished Scavengers Odyssey and could jump around like a lunatic and shoot in every direction...the end boss section was almost too much though.

Driveclub VR demo doesn't make me feel strange anymore, might buy the full version now.

Love that PSVR ;)

MrBigBoy

Playstation 4 Pro Enhanced Launch Day Games for PSVR Announced

UPDATED AGAIN WITH MORE TITLES

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
Super Stardust Ultra
The Assembly (has been patched since launch)
THE PLAYROOM VR
Thumper (updated)
Tumble
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=794132350254727168&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro. Updated with The Assembly and Thumper

Now that I sold my PS4 and some games and paid off my Pro in full, looks like my next task is purchasing every one of these games, I have 5 so far.
Will the demo disc also get those updates, or will it keep running in normal PS4 mode?

TheMan

Man, impressions of COD VR and moto racer 4 are not great. Robinson is apparently Meh as well. Combined with the news of GTS VR basically being an afterthought, and I'm starting to get really discouraged. The novelty of it all wore off already, and now I need new content.

*Splinter

Man, impressions of COD VR and moto racer 4 are not great. Robinson is apparently Meh as well. Combined with the news of GTS VR basically being an afterthought, and I'm starting to get really discouraged. The novelty of it all wore off already, and now I need new content.
What games do you have/like?

Shoeless

Where are you seeing these impressions, by the way? Is this people just sharing on Reddit, or you talking about actual impressions and review from outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom