• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okada

Has anyone tried Moto Racer 4? I see that it has PSVR support.

I'm trying to find impressions online but I'm not seeing much.

Edit - It appears that it barely supports VR and is pretty awful.

So how do you feel about your purchase of the game? Is it worth keeping my pre-order? Comes to $40 with taxes for me on Amazon.ca.. (About 30 USD) Also it, doesn't seem like it'll ship before the 14 or 15 for me for some reason.
So far so good. I played for 1-2 hours last night and enjoyed it aside from getting stuck once or twice (my own fault for not paying enough attention to what I was supposed to be doing probably).

antibolo

Banned
No. Vive is the only one that does proper room scale at the moment but Oculus have just announced another sensor to enable it. With the current tracking system of the PSVR it isn't possible.

Uh that's not accurate. PSVR is not room scale but it does have 3D movement, it's not like those smartphone VR solutions that only track your viewing angle.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I am very interested in getting a PSVR after trying a friend's out.

Is there actual 3d space movement with PSVR; Ala Vive? I used Vive a couple months ago and it sold me on VR, however, I can't justify $1200 on a GPU+Vive purchase right now and after trying out PSVR it seems like the way to go for $500. Only thing is that my buddy never brought his Move over so I wasn't able to test this myself. For instance I want to be able to walk around in Job Sim like I could with the Vive.

Can anyone answer this?

While Vive is called "room scale" VR, I like to call PSVR "tiny closet scale" VR. You can stand in a spot and shuffle a bit in some directions. But even that is really awesome and feels incredible in experiences like Batman.

Planet

Kind of in disbelief Sony won't even address the tracking issues or did I miss a memo.
You did miss it. They added a bunch of instructions to improve tracking quality to their FAQ. If that helps or not is another debate, but they didn't just ignore it.

*Splinter

Uh that's not accurate. PSVR is not room scale but it does have 3D movement, it's not like those smartphone VR solutions that only track your viewing angle.
Yeah, no doubt there's a difference between Vive and PSVR, but there is a WORLD of difference between the limited movement of PSVR and having no movement at all.

Actually you said you've tried PSVR but without Move? That's probably a fair representation.

Lan_97

Bleh, not liking what I'm hearing so far about Robinson. I guess it's time to drop my preorder and put that on the back burner for now.

lol Yeah this is the one that's sold out. I have a feeling it's a bunch of PSVR users buying this.

Is that just a brush?

It's a brush on one end, the other end has a microfiber knob or whatever the material is plus a thin layer of carbon to wipe away smudges. Apparently, the cap has a carbon reservoir in the top so when you put the pen back into the cap and twist it refreshes the microfiber part to give it more carbon.

Holy shit, there's another end of this thing. I had no idea.

Won't the black stuff get on the lenses?

Nikon 7072 Lens Pen Cleaning System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JN3G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works great.
I wound up buying this from Best Buy. It seems to have the same functionality, except it's not manufactured by Nikon. Plus, it's on sale this week and can be purchased from the brick and mortar store.

The poster asked for room scale just without the terminology. PSVR's tracking is nothing like that of the Vive.

PSVR has this area to play with and within that there is a sweet spot and is sightly hampered by the potential of obscured tracking lights:
29781589850_e5c3442953_z.jpg

Whereas Vive has this and is flawless throughout:
htc-vive-steamvr-setup-guide-playspace-640x415.jpg

PSVR could potentially do it in the future with the release of another sensor if the hardware is up to the task that is.

well they need to hurry up and release Jumping Flash. Shu is trippin man... force the issue Shu. Get it started! :)

tumblr_nur43rmYtZ1skasmxo1_500.gif

You should check out Windlands. It's a 3D platformer that has you jumping and grappling over all sorts of crazy terrain. It's more vertigo-inducing than Jumping Flash ever was.

Ozorov

Playstation 4 Pro Enhanced Launch Day Games for PSVR Announced

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
Super Stardust Ultra
THE PLAYROOM VR
Tumble
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=794132350254727168&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro.

Now that I sold my PS4 and some games and paid off my Pro in full, looks like my next task is purchasing every one of these games, I have 5 so far.

Solid list!

antibolo

Banned
Looking forward to the Pro to upgrade PSVR games from "looks like a PS2 game" to "looks like a PS3 game".

In related news my copy of Worlds just arrived. It's gonna stay in its shrinkwrap for another week I guess.

UPDATED AGAIN WITH MORE TITLES

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Super Stardust Ultra
The Assembly (has been patched since launch)
THE PLAYROOM VR
Thumper (updated)
Tumble

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=794132350254727168&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro. Updated with The Assembly and Thumper

Now that I sold my PS4 and some games and paid off my Pro in full, looks like my next task is purchasing every one of these games, I have 5 so far.

kinggroin

Banned
You can move a step in any direction basically, there are no games as of yet that have you walking around. The camera works best when you are close, so there isn't much room in the frame for you to move or the cam will lose headset.

You CAN turn 360 degrees.

But you can't really DO much once turned around ;-)

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Super Stardust Ultra
The Assembly (has been patched since launch)
THE PLAYROOM VR
Tumble

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro. Updated with The Assembly

Nice. I'm way more excited for PSVR improvements than regular PS4. I wonder how Driveclub looks now cause that game looked like it was way below native resolution.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is this about Area X? I found it kind of blurry compared to the base game, and the freedom of movement felt like a gimmick since I still basically had to keep moving forward just like in the base game.

I fully agree with this, outside of the visuals which I found mostly mindblowing. After finishing it, I kind of shrugged and felt it was a polished up new chapter for Rez built a few generations beyond the tech capabilities of the Dreamcast, but ultimately more of the same.

Then I started reading and listening to enthusiast/podcast impressions calling it the greatest thing ever devised for VR...and I must be missing something entirely. Neat bonus level(and it would have been killer if the entire game was remastered to match at least visually), but holy fuck the hyperbole is stratospheric on Area X.

The particle effects are magnificent though, but eh.

This product is a face mask for the PlayStation VR (PS VR). In addition to the PS VR body and attached it can be protected from contamination by sebum, sweat, it can increase the sense of immersion by the light shielding effect.

I can't be the only one who thought that said "semen".

Glix

PSVR gaf please help.

I just bought the $50 charging stand thing at gamestop. I realized that I have old Moves.

Do the new Moves they made use a different USB to charge? I've googled like crazy and can't find any info. I need to know before I open this thing.

Soi-Fong

PSVR gaf please help.

I just bought the $50 charging stand thing at gamestop. I realized that I have old Moves.

Do the new Moves they made use a different USB to charge? I've googled like crazy and can't find any info. I need to know before I open this thing.

All Playstation Moves are the same. You'll be fine. Same USB port and everything.

There's a reason why Sony did this as to keep compatibility with people like you who have the old Moves.

ckohler

PSVR gaf please help.

The Move controllers for sale are identical to the originals. Just a repackaging.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I fully agree with this, outside of the visuals which I found mostly mindblowing. After finishing it, I kind of shrugged and felt it was a polished up new chapter for Rez built a few generations beyond the tech capabilities of the Dreamcast, but ultimately more of the same.

Then I started reading and listening to enthusiast/podcast impressions calling it the greatest thing ever devised for VR...and I must be missing something entirely. Neat bonus level(and it would have been killer if the entire game was remastered to match at least visually), but holy fuck the hyperbole is stratospheric on Area X.

The particle effects are magnificent though, but eh.

Man you just missed out on alot of the glory. Sorry. The freedom of movement actually does add to the enjoyment and amazement. Seems like some people here aren't sure how to control the character properly in Area X.

gogojira

What kind of improvements are we expecting with PS4 Pro and PSVR? This might be a really bad/dumb question but resolution is capped by the hardware so we shouldn't expect to see any improvements there, right?

I've been out of the Playstation environment for a bit but I swear these past few months have been a huge turning point and I'm getting reeeaaall tempted by the Pro now.

I played Arkham on my standard PS4 last night and fucking loved it.

Glix

Awesome, thanks for the info on the moves guys!!!!

For some reason I thought they had switched them to the same port the DS4 uses.

What kind of improvements are we expecting with PS4 Pro and PSVR? This might be a really bad/dumb question but resolution is capped by the hardware so we shouldn't expect to see any improvements there, right?

I've been out of the Playstation environment for a bit but I swear these past few months have been a huge turning point and I'm getting reeeaaall tempted by the Pro now.

Supersampling -> less jaggies
More detail
Maybe non-reprojected, native framerates

Ozorov

What do you mean?

They can increase the resolution.

Glix

Man you just missed out on alot of the glory. Sorry. The freedom of movement actually does add to the enjoyment and amazement. Seems like some people here aren't sure how to control the character properly in Area X.

flying through the particle effects is crazy time.

lt519

One of the best PSVR games on the market. Still trying to get through Level 6.

Just finished 6 last night, it got intense. But overall didn't die more then 3-4 times the entire level. Been playing the game in chunks, will wait for the Pro patch to finish it off.

eFKac

I'm giddy thinking about Robinson with the Pro, problem is, I have little hope it will be a good game since it's Crytek :p

But hey, their kind of eye candy games are great around launch to be honest.

gogojira

The resolution is effectively capped by the resolution of the screen (right?)

However most (all?) games are not yet rendering at the screen's resolution.

This is what I was getting at. My assumption (probably wrong) was that these games were running at max PSVR resolution.

Ozorov

The resolution is effectively capped by the resolution of the screen (right?)

However most (all?) games are not yet rendering at the screen's resolution.

Oh I misunderstood his concern. But yeah as you said, most games don't render at native resolution with OG PS4.

gogojira

Oh I misunderstood his concern. But yeah as you said, most games don't render at native resolution with OG PS4.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I want to see how it all shakes out on PS4 Pro and if the enhancements are big enough on PSVR and regular PS4 games, I think I might get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom