• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda-zebra

Saw this series of tweets from Charlie Brooker and thought I'd post them here:

Charlie Brooker ?@charltonbrooker 4h4 hours ago
Some quick off-the-top-of-my head thoughts on VR coming, so look away now if bored shitless by your INEVITABLE FUTURE

Sony sent me a PSVR headset and a bunch of games, which I’ve been trying out on-and-off in-between writing and general tinkering...

(I often use micro gaming-sessions as a reward when writing… “If I finish the next two scenes by 11pm I can play games for 30m”, etc)

I’ve tried Oculus Rift a few times. Eg @PaintingP used one to create a virtual ‘Tucker’s’ for San Junipero prior to the shoot...

...also I’ve tried out a Game of Thrones promotional thingy and a Stranger Things promotional thingy, both of which were v impressive...

… but none of those really prepared me for the barrage of HOLY SHIT moments I’ve had trying out the PSVR thingy...

… It reminds me of when I first saw Doom. Or Mario 64. Or fuck it, Space Invaders. A real sense that “everything just changed”.

It’s not perfect. There are 10 billion cables. It can be blurry. Clunky. Some things make you feel seasick. But...

… bearing in mind this is the most basic home VR is likely to be it’s pretty mind-blowing. Also: when I used to picture VR...

… I always imagined 1st-person experiences. Didn’t *occur* to me how immersive a 3rd-person game like Bound or Tethered would be.

It’s mental. It’s like DREAMING the fucking game.

The Batman thing, for instance, is just remarkable. I actually had to take it off for the final scene because I was getting too freaked out.

Anyhow, like I say — they sent it to me, so it cost me nothing. Try before you buy. But bloody HELL that’s the future right there that is.

I was sceptical of the games being any more than tech demos, but if you try Bound, and imagine a VR Mario game with similar engine… well.

Actually one thing that startled me most of all was playing Driveclub VR, looking round and seeing the car’s headrest behind me...

… the sense of presence was just downright bizarre. Call me naive but I wasn’t prepared for that.

muteki

Please report back on this. I'm really desperate to find out if it's the whole game in VR or just a bunch of specially created tracks.

They have already said it has a separate VR campaign. I'm hoping they don't wuss out.

Not sure what that means about using VR on the existing campaign or multiplayer though.

deadfolk

They have already said it has a separate VR campaign. I'm hoping they don't wuss out.

Not sure what that means about using VR on the existing campaign or multiplayer though.

I'd take being able to play the existing campaign in VR over a new one any day.

I have PS4 Pro preordered from Amazon, and it is shipping tomorrow. Even though, I have 4K TV (non HDR version), my main interest is PSVR improvements.

So far, early PSVR and PS4 Pro impressions do not look promising, so I am not sure if I should cancel my PS4 Pro order.

My main issues with PSVR games are jaggies (majority of titles) and blurriness (some titles like DriveClub, Here They Lie). If PS4 Pro will help to reduce these, I will be one happy camper. Hopefully, Digital Foundry will post their comparisons soon.

Anarion07

Anyone else notice that in games the blacks if the oled screen are not total blacks (screen door mildly visible..

But in cinema mode, the blacks are truly black? Odd.

Ozorov

I have PS4 Pro preordered from Amazon, and it is shipping tomorrow. Even though, I have 4K TV (non HDR version), my main interest is PSVR improvements.

So far, early PSVR and PS4 Pro impressions do not look promising, so I am not sure if I should cancel my PS4 Pro order.

My main issues with PSVR games are jaggies (majority of titles) and blurriness (some titles like DriveClub, Here They Lie). If PS4 Pro will help to reduce these, I will be one happy camper. Hopefully, Digital Foundry will post their comparisons soon.

You will get less jaggies with Pro. Maybe just not on all the launch games.

Ammogeddon

Batman had a tracking Update any impressions ?

Oh yes I noticed that downloading earlier, I'll give it a go.

I was clearing up a few trophies on job simulator yesterday. Now that's a game I've had tracking issues with. Hope they can do something with it.

//DEVIL//

I am debating if I should buy friend used PlayStation be for 280$ along with the a game ( world ? Or something like that )

Anyway I did try it. And I have a question I would like to ask.

In a dark or solid color background, something I notice that the whole screen has some sort of very very small dots . I am not sure if those are the pixels. Because I used to see the pixels on vive when I had that and the vive pixels are somehow bigger than what I am seeing here.

It's like very small dots covering the whole screen .

I don't think that's a defect ( well I would hope not ) but I can't tell what is it . Any ideas ?

Ozorov

Oh yes I noticed that downloading earlier, I'll give it a go.

I was clearing up a few trophies on job simulator yesterday. Now that's a game I've had tracking issues with. Hope they can do something with it.

tumblr_n1bbedDFNZ1sexnlfo1_r4_400.gif

Anarion07

I am debating if I should buy friend used PlayStation be for 280$ along with the a game ( world ? Or something like that )

In a dark or solid color background, something I notice that the whole screen has some sort of very very small dots . I am not sure if those are the pixels. Because I used to see the pixels on vive when I had that and the vive pixels are somehow bigger than what I am seeing here.

I don't think that's a defect ( well I would hope not ) but I can't tell what is it . Any ideas ?

You have that with any VR screen. It is the pixels.
They are completely black in cinema mode though

ascii42

It's the pixels, the reason why they are more prominent on the Vive is due to the PSVR using RGB striping instead of a pentile display

PENTILEBLAH-550x351.png

//DEVIL//

You have that with any VR screen. It is the pixels.
They are completely black in cinema mode though

I don't know what is a cinema mode I didn't try that. In a black loading screen I can't see any of that.only when a game starts and say it had solid color loading screen or something, I will be able to notice those dots

Edit: fixing stupid typos -_-

Anarion07

It's the pixels, the reason why they are more prominent on the Vive is due to the PSVR using RGB striping instead of a pentile display

PENTILEBLAH-550x351.png

While I love the PSVR screen.. I read that LG improved OLED life span by introducing white pixels. Does that mean psvr has less life span than vive/oculus?

//DEVIL//

PENTILEBLAH-550x351.png

I guess that explains why it's smaller dots to me than the vive. They are not really that disractkng. But figured I would ask.

Kyolux

I don't know what is a cinema mode I didn't try that. In a black loading screen I can't see any of that.only when a game starts and say it had solid color loading screen or something, I will be able to notice those dogs

All I see are cats, is my psvr broken?

Zalusithix

Oh that's the smear at the corners of the cinema screen when moving your head? That happens when the OLEDs are all off? That'd explain it

Basically the pixel response time to go from totally off to on is greater than the time required to go from mostly off to on. So black objects will create a smearing in motion when the OLED is being driven in pure black mode. Not a huge issue in cinema mode, but in game when you're constantly whipping your head around, it is less than desirable.

That said, some people prefer the pure black levels even in game, and don't mind the smearing. A recent update to SteamVR broke the black levels so games were rendering with pure blacks. They've since fixed it since, but a number of people want the option to flip it back.

Played that Call of Duty Space Plane Assult or whatever it's called last night. Point is, I had zero motion sickness. Was hitting me pretty hard before.

I may have acquired my 'VR Legs'. Time to go back to the other games and see how I do. I was worried I may never beable to fully enjoy VR due to motion sickness. Not so much anymore.

Fliesen

has this been posted yet? Arkham VR received an update today (v. 1.02) with the only line in the patchnotes being

* VR tracking improvement.

Caayn

While I love the PSVR screen.. I read that LG improved OLED life span by introducing white pixels. Does that mean psvr has less life span than vive/oculus?
LG holds a life expectancy of 30.000 to 50.000 hours for OLEDs made before they introduced the added white subpixel.

That's roughly 1250 days or 3.4 years of leaving the screen inside the PSVR on.

Played this for the first time (minus a best buy demo) at a buddies house this weekend... was not very impressed. We had major tracking issues when playing, over the course of a single demo the tracking would go from front and center to me having to turn 90 degrees to the left to be at my center. The re center options did not work consistently either (most of the time they didn't work at all). Tried a bunch of things to fix it but nothing seemed to help. That part of the experience was definitely frustrating.

That being said, the Thumper demo was really cool. It was pretty awesome playing it in VR, just seemed really immersive. I think VR has a lot of potential, especially with the interactivity but haven't seen anything that makes me want to get it yet.

Theonik

LG holds a life expectancy of 30.000 to 50.000 hours for OLEDs made before they introduced the added white subpixel.

That might be misleading though because it probably isn't time until noticeable colour drifting or loss in brightness which is how OLED wear is experienced.
e: I just found it. 30-50k hrs till half brightness. Though it might be noticeable in less than that.

Anarion07

I really like cinema mode, okay?

..good to know, thanks;) won't be an issue then

Anarion07

That being said, the Thumper demo was really cool. It was pretty awesome playing it in VR, just seemed really immersive. I think VR has a lot of potential, especially with the interactivity but haven't seen anything that makes me want to get it yet.

Where'd you get the thumper demo? Can't find it on the store. Or is it part of the vr demo package? Then I'm just blind

Theonik

With a lack of ETA on physical copies of REZ I think I'm double dipping through PSN.
This will be my 5th copy of REZ lol

Caayn

Where'd you get the thumper demo? Can't find it on the store. Or is it part of the vr demo package? Then I'm just blind
Would like to know as well. I can't find it either on the store.
That might be misleading though because it probably isn't time until noticeable colour drifting or loss in brightness which is how OLED wear is experienced.
e: I just found it. 30-50k hrs till half brightness. Though it might be noticeable in less than that.
The degradation happens extremely slowly in normal use, you don't play 24/7 after all ;) I really wouldn't sweat it.

Good point about half brightness, I forget that in my post.

Ozorov

Would like to know as well. I can't find it either on the store.
The degradation happens extremely slowly in normal use, you don't play 24/7 after all ;) I really wouldn't sweat it.

Good point about half brightness, I forget that in my post.
It's included in that Playstation VR-demo download I think

Theonik

I hope devs start adding their PS4 Pro updates to the demo disk. I'll be able to jump in in a couple of days so I want to see what to buy. Was hoping to demo some of the stuff to some colleagues at work.

I own 8 PSVR-titles and no PSVR (yet). I'm crazy

Lol :) I recognize myself.

Did the same when the Gamecube got released in Japan. Got a ton of titles, but no cube to be seen. Ordered a cube at Lik-Sang with , but it got lost in transit. The waiting game almost killed me :D

Ozorov

I hope devs start adding their PS4 Pro updates to the demo disk. I'll be able to jump in in a couple of days so I want to see what to buy. Was hoping to demo some of the stuff at work.

Yeah I was also wondering about this.

Lol :) I recognize myself.

Did the same when the Gamecube got released in Japan. Got a ton of titles, but no cube to be seen. Ordered a cube at Lik-Sang with , but it got lost in transit. The waiting game almost killed me :D

Haha good I'm not alone then ;)

dstarMDA

Disappointed about Volume. Was waiting for a sale so jumped on it at less than 5 bucks but, despite a very solid VR implementation (minus texts), the game is just not very good.

Basic effective premise but quite a lot of strange design choices. The sound design is really really grating with all those interruptions...

EDIT : lol I should have got VEV with those 5 bucks your enthusiasm is very refreshing. I'll get it soon

Anyone upgrading to a PS4 Pro for increased performance in VR?

Sure. Was about to buy a 4K set too, but it's still early days and I spend so much money ( bought a PSVR for my kids too, for Xmas ) that my wife is gonna kick my butt if I'll buy a 4K set too. Had to get down on my knees for that damn PS4Pro lol.

Caayn

The Call of Duty demo was really good. The Eve demo was kind of a let down after the Call of Duty one. I missed the thingy things in the Eve demo such as the sticks that move corresponding to the analogue stick movement.
It's included in that Playstation VR-demo download I think
Mmhhhh, you might be right. On the physical demo disc there's no Thumper demo, there's also no mention of it on the back of the cardboard sleeve. But the digital version on the store says that a Thumper demo is included. Downloading now.

morpix

I played through VR Worlds, and Job Simulator. Left Thumper for my Pro this week.
Been loving this thing. Only tracking issues were in Job Simulator. Otherwise it's been perfect.
That Call of Duty thing was damn impressive. I'd totally play Rebel Galaxy or Elite Dangerous that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom