• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thanks, I hate in-ear phones with a burning passion.

I will never understand why the Internet hates Apple's earphones so much but oh well, idgaf. They're the only earphones still existing in the current market that aren't those awful in-ear ones that physically violate your ear canals.
Because their audio quality is rubbish, and they have a really bad leaking problem.

When someone uses them in public, unless it's an extremely noisy environment, everyone around can hear what they're listening to. This gets really unpleasant on public transit, where you can sometimes be forced to listen to someone's death metal collection for hours because there aren't any other available seats than next to a guy with Apple earphones.
Anyone upgrading to a PS4 Pro for increased performance in VR?
Definitely my main motivation.

Caayn

So I went ahead and bought one.... I'm weak I know. One thing I immediately noticed was that the light bleed through the bottom was much smaller on my unit than the one I tried on a demo booth.

How do you use the PS Gold headset with the PSVR? I can't get both comfortably on my head at the same time without the screen becoming to blurry.

FeD.nL

For the people interested a PS Pro review that mostly focuses on PSVR:

link

Well, it’s a complex answer. Objectively speaking, yes, PS VR games do look better when running on a PS4 Pro. After setting them both up, side-by-side, on the same television using the same headset, I can confirm that games are noticeably sharper and crisper, especially if they have received an official patch incorporating support for PS4 Pro. Games like Battlezone and PS VR Worlds were patched ahead of time for testing, but even games like Driveclub VR, which didn’t have official Pro patches yet, looked crisper and smoother inside the headset.

FeD.nL

Another one and this has some comparison videos/screenshots:

link

PlayStation VR works just as well on PS4 Pro as it does on PS4. For now, we’re seeing minute improvements in visuals at best, while tracking performance is unchanged.

Keep in mind that the titles above, and pretty much every PlayStation VR title launched to date, were made with the PS4 in mind. We expect in the future to see more significant visual improvements for PSVR titles running on PS4 Pro as developers have more time to optimize their titles (and begin building new ones from scratch) for the extra horsepower. While the 1080p display and poor mura correction are the biggest bottlenecks to the headset’s visuals, increased supersampling can do wonders if applied appropriately to a well optimized VR game.

Batman on PS Pro
batman-arkham-vr-ps4-pro.jpg

Batman on OG PS4
batman-arkham-vr-ps4.jpg

SOLDIER

Question: I want to mount my PSVR headset to the side of my shelf, the same way I've done so with my headphones. For my Gold headset I used this ball-shaped hook design, which I like because it doesn't pinch into the headset's fabric and doesn't require me to drill screws onto the shelf itself.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar type of wall hook, only with the necessary length to fit through the back of the headset (for hanging) and can support its weight. Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

FeD.nL

So Batman got a Pro-patch or?

No, they mention this though:

Although the game hasn’t been specifically updated for the PS4 Pro to our knowledge, it seems it may have been built with a somewhat adaptive foundation. Inside the headset the game looks ever so slightly sharper, and you may spot fewer texture pops as the game seems to be able to load high-res textures a touch faster thanks to the PS4 Pro. The most noticeable change is that Batman Arkham VR running on PS4 Pro seems to no longer use foveated rendering which, on PS4, adds significant blur to the peripheral areas of your view.

antibolo

Banned
Because their audio quality is rubbish, and they have a really bad leaking problem.

When someone uses them in public, unless it's an extremely noisy environment, everyone around can hear what they're listening to. This gets really unpleasant on public transit, where you can sometimes be forced to listen to someone's death metal collection for hours because there aren't any other available seats than next to a guy with Apple earphones.

They sound fine, and there's not really any leakage if you're using them at a reasonable volume level.

Loudninja

Rez VR pro details
Similarly, those of you who have PS VR hooked up to your PS4 Pro might notice Area X looking a little different than you’re used to—that’s because the image being passed along to each of your eyes is being rendered at a higher resolution (1920 x 1080, instead of 1440 x 810 on a standard PS4), before being passed to the PS VR headset. Even though the final resolution it’s displayed at on the headset in the same either way, the extra rendering from the PS4 Pro makes a difference: each particle looks a little more clear, a little more solid, adding up to objects and enemies that look more distinct and “real,” whether close-up or at a distance.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/07/how-rez-infinite-shines-brighter-than-ever-on-ps4-pro/

TheMan

I don't expect major changes for games patched to take advantage of the pro.i think we'll have to wait a few months before we start seeing games designed from the ground up to take advantage of the added horsepower. Then, suckers like myself who don't own a pro will cry.

So I went ahead and bought one.... I'm weak I know. One thing I immediately noticed was that the light bleed through the bottom was much smaller on my unit than the one I tried on a demo booth.

How do you use the PS Gold headset with the PSVR? I can't get both comfortably on my head at the same time without the screen becoming to blurry.
If you make sure the HMD is square to your face, the headset shouldn't be an issue. I wear mine just fine. One thing many people miss is that you shouldn't only try to move the front part of the halo up/down, but the rear on the back of your head should move up.

If you are clear and the halo is getting in the way, you must lift the rear up. This will cause the HMD to shift down, causing a bit of blurriness again. Now lift the front of the HMD up to make it clear again. This will square the HMD to your face and should give plenty of room for the headset.

I've seen too many people have the rear halo too far down - wear it like a cap at a slight angle back, not exaggerated.

antibolo

Banned
More significant improvement, obviously. Although I think we may see it in future PSVR games, like Farpoint.

Games going from sub-native to native (or supersampled) resolution alone should make a huge improvement, even if that's the only thing that's different.

And remember everyone, PSVR "screenshots" are never a good representation of what it looks like inside the headset. So any side-by-size comparisons in reviews are pretty much worthless.

Demption

The world wobble in and out is nauseating, no other issues with the product. Still haven't found a cure for that. What are the solutions that have worked for people that had that problem?

Caayn

If you make sure the HMD is square to your face, the headset shouldn't be an issue. I wear mine just fine. One thing many people miss is that you shouldn't only try to move the front part of the halo up/down, but the rear on the back of your head should move up.

If you are clear and the halo is getting in the way, you must lift the rear up. This will cause the HMD to shift down, causing a bit of blurriness again. Now lift the front of the HMD up to make it clear again. This will square the HMD to your face and should give plenty of room for the headset.

I've seen too many people have the rear halo too far down - wear it like a cap at a slight angle back, not exaggerated.
Thanks. Putting the rear higher helped, it also helped with light bleed and positioning all around.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yep. Once I get in a rhythm on Thumper with the fan blowing... it's like I'm in another world.

I've never felt anything like it.

Just pass Level 6 and now on Level 7. 45 minutes of Thumper and taking down a boss, is one of the best feelings EVER in gaming.

cakely

I'm really most interested in DriveClub VR PS4P improvements.

Has the resolution been bumped up, at all for objects in the distance? The cockpit has always looked fine to me, it's the view out the window I couldn't stomach.

Was about to start putting together an order for PS Pro / PSVR, but found the latter is out of stock all over (UK). Don't know why I thought it would easy. It's been a long time since I bought any relatively new tech, I guess that's why. Ay dios mio.

Ozorov

Was about to start putting together an order for PS Pro / PSVR, but found the latter is out of stock all over (UK). Don't know why I thought it would easy. It's been a long time since I bought any relatively new tech, I guess that's why. Ay dios mio.

Amen brother. I waited 3 weeks to the re-stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom