• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

PSVR games for the week:

Eagle Flight
PS VR — Digital, Retail
Developed exclusively for VR, Eagle Flight sends you to the skies of Paris to experience the freedom of flying like never before! Fifty years after humans vanished from the face of the Earth, nature has reclaimed the city of Paris, leaving a breathtaking playground.

Robinson: The Journey
PS VR — Digital, Retail
When the Esmeralda crashes on Tyson III, a boy named Robin is left stranded. He must rely on his wits — and HIGS, an AI companion from the ship — to survive. As he searches for the lost crew and comes face-to-face with dinosaurs, Robin discovers that Tyson III is not the paradise once promised…
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/04/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-1182016/

CLEEK

Me 3.

I started with my big Senheiser headphones but found it real clunky to wear over the headset. Earphones are much less of a hassle.

I much prefer earphone for comfort, and you don't have to sacrifice quality by going bargain basement and using horrible iPhone ones. I've been using Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear as my go-to 'phones for a while. Super comfortable and high quality sound.

DukeBobby

I'm terrible at score attack in Danger Ball. I can't even reach 4000 points.

I do quite well with the first ball but completely fuck up with the other two.

lildragn

Neo Member
Has anyone played this new game on the store O! My Genesis? It's only 2.99 and i want a new game.

Extremely fun game, you actually feel godly! Buyer beware tho, you only get a

- Tutorial Level
- One "shortish" planet to play
- An Apocalypse mode

It was a bummer to see it end after 10 -15 mins of play but the Devs are promising to release the "Coming Soon" planets soon.

For the price of a fancy Starbucks coffee I think it's worth it.

The Call of duty vr experience was amazing. I really really enjoyed that.

This makes me want to get Eve.. is it plays just like that?
They play similar. Eve is more challenging since the bad guys actually shoot back and your ship is more nimble. :) They are both fun if you like space combat.

El-Suave

Ok my Eagle can shoot screams now making Eagle Flight a contender for the likes of Eve now. LOL
Edit: I can imagine Eagle Flight benefitting nicely from the Pro, there's noticeable "pop in" now and then especially with trees and bushes. I'd imagine the Pro could help with that.

I'm gonna have to start keeping track of all the PSVR titles. So many I want to get but hard to keep on top.

I still update the other thread, if you want to keep track of all the PSVR games released and coming.

Yay!

(Unless you just misspelled EVE. Then sad face. )
Got a contest update coming soon. I want gaffers to play. :)

Definitely meant VEV: Viva Ex Vivo, awesome game, though I kinda suck at at getting particles :p

Have yet to try Blood level, should get around to do it.

Seems a lot of folks had issues with Scavenger's Odyssey. I was braced for it to be the first game since Omega Agent that made me so dizzy I'd start to feel it, but I was completely fine with bounding from to place extremely quickly. The only time I started to feel dizzy was when I was bounding from place to place while circle strafing during a boss fight. Circle strafing in general was dizzying though.

Anyone else have no real problems with Scavenger's Odyssey?

I was fine in Scavenger's Odyssey. I thought that bouncing around was a lot of fun.

What headphones are people using with the PS VR, or is everyone mostly using IEMs?

My DT770 doesn't fit unfortunately, so i'm curious as to what others are using.

I am using V-Moda Crosfade M-100 (Link).

They fit pretty well. Granted, if your head is above average size, these probably won't work for you.

Grinchy

Banned
Even after the patch to balance the difficulty, Battlezone is fucking hard. I just tried a short, easy campaign with my brother online. We got to the 3rd shield generator but got rocked.

I paid $32 for it with Best Buy's GCU. I haven't finished it yet, I'm still stuck on the part I posted about. I've got about two hours invested in the game so far, but I have no idea how far into the total playtime that I am. The starting camp had two areas that were blocked off by energy barriers and I'm in the midst of where the first gate took me.

Yep, I paid $32 for mine with Amazon Prime discount.

So it's been a few weeks now, how often are you guys still playing with your headset?

Was worried mine would end up getting boxed after the initial shiny-new-thing period wore off, but despite the setup time (headset, headphones, get it in focus, get a chair, get the PS4 all up and running etc) I find myself normally playing it for about an hour each day.

Biggest change are the type of interactions, tend to stay away from the high-thrill titles and just do a lot of free-drive in driveclub and playing virtual pool to unwind.

I am still having a blast with my PSVR and checking this thread everyday. I am currently playing through Here They Lie. I do not regret my purchase at all, and I am probably picking up PS Pro next week.

antibolo

Banned
I much prefer earphone for comfort, and you don't have to sacrifice quality by going bargain basement and using horrible iPhone ones. I've been using Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear as my go-to 'phones for a while. Super comfortable and high quality sound.

No thanks, I hate in-ear phones with a burning passion.

I will never understand why the Internet hates Apple's earphones so much but oh well, idgaf. They're the only earphones still existing in the current market that aren't those awful in-ear ones that physically violate your ear canals.

JSR_Cube

I beat the final level of Tethered tonight. I loved it. I'd love to see some DLC levels/monsters/upgrades, etc.

On to Battlezone. I still can't beat it single player on Easy.

I beat the final level of Tethered tonight. I loved it. I'd love to see some DLC levels/monsters/upgrades, etc.

On to Battlezone. I still can't beat it single player on Easy.

How many hours is tethered? Its probably going to be my next purchase. That and Harmonix music.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That and Harmonix music.

So so good. The Easel is still my VR showcase. I just wish it was patched to offer some better functionality, like more savegames and song loading options.

Shoeless

So so good. The Easel is still my VR showcase. I just wish it was patched to offer some better functionality, like more savegames and song loading options.

You're probably really going to like Dreams, by Media Molecule. If their LittleBigPlanet level creation tools were anything to go by, their sculpting tools for Dreams in VR are going to be completely insane.

antibolo

Banned
You're probably really going to like Dreams, by Media Molecule. If their LittleBigPlanet level creation tools were anything to go by, their sculpting tools for Dreams in VR are going to be completely insane.

Oh man I had forgotten about Dreams. nnnggghhh

13 levels and about 30 to 45 minutes each level. So that is about 7 hours minimum. More if you need/want to redo levels.

Sold!

yeah easel mode was the definite highlight. Its just fun. I actually think the dancing one is a bit of a laugh riot even if its stupid.

re:Dreams - yeah the creation tool is very deep. I was at a showcase and it really wowed. Not sure what sort of game it is. But it should look incredible in VR (we saw it in 2D)

Shoeless

Oh man I had forgotten about Dreams. nnnggghhh

In your defense, it's an easy thing to forget. Media Molecule have been keeping a pretty low profile on what's happening with that game. As far as I know, we don't even have an approximate release date on it.

All I know for sure is that about a year ago, Media Molecule said at Paris Games Week that there would be a beta for the game in 2016, but here we are in November, and still nothing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I watch the Dreams showcase videos every few weeks. Everyone who is loving the potential of VR and what a drawing app/game could be, check this out:
23350716350_4352b5381f_o.png
maxresdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfeeuuw83Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-0Hitu8nwo

More vids

I could absolutely not be any more hyped about Dreams. I was already interested before, but after playing the Easel mode in Harmonix and drawing new stuff every day, my Dreams hype burst through the roof and rocketed towards the sky.

I watch the Dreams showcase videos every few weeks. Everyone who is loving the potential of VR and what a drawing app/game could be, check this out:

More vids

I could absolutely not be any more hyped about Dreams. I was already interested before, but after playing the Easel mode in Harmonix and drawing new stuff every day, my Dreams hype burst through the roof and rocketed towards the sky.

Yes this will be incredible. What is the release date they are aiming for?

ChouGoku

EVE Valkyrie is a game I feel like I shouldn't like. The single player mode is pretty bare bones, its online only, it has a few maps, and its very multiplayer oriented. But goddamn dogfighting in VR is fun as fuck. Seeing your enemy zip past you overhead while trying to shoot them down is a blast. I definitely have my VR legs so barrel rolling, zipping around, and tying to outrun my enemies by going through tight corridors is exhilarating. The arenas are amazing to play in, the sense of scale makes you really feel like you are fighting amongst space junk, asteroids, etc. I really hope space games make a big showing with VR, because the only things this game are missing is actual planetary travel or a good campaign. I really hope when EVE Valkyrie comes to PS4 it comes to PSVR as well

https://youtu.be/xFYsNqiNecE

(xbox one or wiiU on PSVR via digital foundry)

just watched this. Kind of cool. LOZ cinema mode? :O

EVE Valkyrie is a game I feel like I shouldn't like. The single player mode is pretty bare bones, its online only, it has a few maps, and its very multiplayer oriented. But goddamn dogfighting in VR is fun as fuck. Seeing your enemy zip past you overhead while trying to shoot them down is a blast. I definitely have my VR legs so barrel rolling, zipping around, and tying to outrun my enemies by going through tight corridors is exhilarating. The arenas are amazing to play in, the sense of scale makes you really feel like you are fighting amongst space junk, asteroids, etc. I really hope space games make a big showing with VR, because the only things this game are missing is actual planetary travel or a good campaign. I really hope when EVE Valkyrie comes to PS4 it comes to PSVR as well

imagine... No Man's Sky in PSVR.. lol (the interplantary entry and exits and space/intergalactic travel would be cool).

Darvan

More vids

I wondering how close they are to the PS Camera since it doesn't look like the move controllers are doing any of the tracking jitter that you notice in games like Batman VR etc. from my own experience it would seem that if you are 3 feet away from the camera the move controllers are steady as can be .

manzo

The PSVR processor unit WON'T FUCKING TURN OFF when my PS4 is in rest mode. It only turns off when I shut down the PS4.

What gives?

Welp it's with great regret to say that I scheduled my VR unit to be retuned to Amazon today since receiving it at launch. I love how VR feels and pulls you in but also can't stand the dizzyness, cold sweats, and sickness. Robinson The Journey solidified all this almost a month later, and drive club, here they lie, or anything else with forward fps style motion just absolutely wrecks me. Other stuff gave me variable issues or very slight vertigo that passed but these games, even with taking a Dramamine has left me with sour stomachs. I'd like to get this down the road again when either a. The tech is a little better or they have figured out a way to reduce motion sickness. Or B when it's cheaper and I can jusify having a product that potentially makes me sick half the time I use it. That said I'll be keeping an eye on the thread in the future and everyones ongoing impressions or thoughts over the year.Enjoy PS VR fam. Hopefully I can return one day.

The PSVR processor unit WON'T FUCKING TURN OFF when my PS4 is in rest mode. It only turns off when I shut down the PS4.

What gives?
Either the PS4 is doing something in the BG, possible USB power for X hours is enabled in the OS, etc.

When you shut the PS4 down completely does it go off?

De_Marco

I remember from this thread that a lot of people are having this problem and the only advice was not to use rest mode.

BTW: Brookhaven will be out for us EU folks in 2 days. :) Looking forward to it.

Regarding headphones:
Using Pulse Elite headphones and really like the added bass, but they are quite bulky and my head hurts after longer play sessions.
So, does someone use good in ear headphones and is the sound quality equal to over ear ones?
Someone recommended the Sennheiser Momentum. But there are only Samsung Galaxy or iPhone models? Which one to buy?

Adda

What gives?

Mine is the same unfortunately I have to fully power down the PS4 to get it to shut off. Nothing downloading, tried disabling power to USB while in rest mode etc

PSX is 1st Weekend of Decemeber expecting a Dreams Beta announcement then, hopefully a "and it's out now on the psn store" one, hopefully that will be VR compatable but might have to wait for the full game will see otherwise is we don't hear anything then am getting a bit worried dreams was shown (in some form) at the PS4 reveal really, time and hype is generally running out. However some like me are still super excited for it.

somme

PSX is 1st Weekend of Decemeber expecting a Dreams Beta announcement then, hopefully a "and it's out now on the psn store" one, hopefully that will be VR compatable but might have to wait for the full game will see otherwise is we don't hear anything then am getting a bit worried dreams was shown (in some form) at the PS4 reveal really, time and hype is generally running out. However some like me are still super excited for it.

I need Dreams soon! Watched all the videos on their Youtube channel in the last week. It's going to be such an amazing tool and watching other peoples film in VR will be amazing.

CyberChulo

Does anyone know if there's going to be a Pro patch for Brookhaven Experiment? I love that game but it could use a resolution boost.

Yup. Pretty much my sole reason for getting one as I'm still rocking a 40 inch non-HDR 1080p TV. Be nice to see some improvements in non VR games though in Pro-Mode.
Same. In it for VR and 1080p benefits.

I also still game on a 24" 1080p monitor. Will jump to a new screen when 4k HDR becomes the norm. I supersample on PC when I can and I'm looking forward to that on PRO because it's a HUGE bump in IQ, imo.

So a one of the reviews of the Pro stated that it seems that a lot of the tracking issues aren't prevalent on the Pro - or placebo. I guess more time will tell.

I'm in for the IQ bump which should be great for VR.

Fliesen

Anyone upgrading to a PS4 Pro for increased performance in VR?

Yeah, being really into my PSVR sealed the deal of me jumping onto the PS4pro bandwagon.

Since my 4k TV doesn't support proper HDR anyway, i'm not even mad about the breakout box not able to pass that through to the TV.

So a one of the reviews of the Pro stated that it seems that a lot of the tracking issues aren't prevalent on the Pro - or placebo. I guess more time will tell.

Ozorov

Non-Native enligsh here. Do you mean it has less tracking issues or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom