• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I asked about local coop games besides Playroom a couple of weeks ago, a few guys mentioned "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes".

Are there any other good ones out already?

nampad

Funny anecdote you guys might enjoy

One of my good friends and I went to psx last year. I tried every VR game I could, but he wasn't interested. I tried discussing it with him later and did my best to articulate the experience.

He seemed slightly intrigued by the idea of having a "third stick" of head movement but he wasn't really convinced that it was anything special.

Fast forward to last weekend. I had this same friend try my PSVR. I hadn't even put him in a game yet and he was already saying how cool it was. He was AMAZED by the demo disc menu (first thing he tried)I had him try a few things.

His whole experience was full of remarks like "this is sooo cool' and "wow this is awesome" and lots of enthused laughter. After it was over he immediately asked me how much one costs and about the move controllers, etc.

Also, interestingly enough, he was the only one of all the people I had try London Heist to steal the diamond without alerting the guards. Also at the end
he shot frank with no hesitation!

Cool story but please try to make it clearer what you are putting inside the spoiler tag :(
I thought it was something about your friend, not the end of the game which I still have not experienced :/

doby

What is really getting to me is the physical discomfort around my nose. Man if this is supposed to be the most comfortable VR option I can't imagine what the others are like. What's it been a month now? I've tried tried everything and the thing is just so uncomfortable around the bridge of my nose no matter what I do. Real bummer because I could get lost in this thing for hours if it wasn't for discomfort.

I have to agree with this. To get a good seal with the rubber gasket I have to wear the band fairly high up on the back of my head but this means I have to press the headset down on my nose to get it in focus.

I think it's pretty obvious this isn't how you're supposed to wear it though, you're supposed to have the band further down the back of your head so the front floats infront of your face (no resting) and is low enough to be in focus. Problem is the rubber seal just doesn't extend far enough and light leaks through everywhere! They really should have included (or sell) different sized seals since they're user removable.

panda-zebra

Eagle Flight - anyone aiming for the collects?

I've got 3 of the areas done, the tower isn't unlocked yet so I've just one left to work on. Getting the last few fish in the other 3 took a little while, but was OK. But here, in The Louvre district, I'm 8 fish down and no sign on them. If it was 1 or 2 I'd just keep roaming, but I'm stumped - it's like there's a hidden waterpark somewhere., how can 8 of the things be alluding me?

So anyone know if there's a hidden tunnel or something that's got a good number of jumping fish secreted away? For now I'll have to keep retrying story 19 in the hopes of unlocking that area fully and grabbing the remaining few there.

I think it's pretty obvious this isn't how you're supposed to wear it though, you're supposed to have the band further down the back of your head so the front floats infront of your face (no resting) and is low enough to be in focus. Problem is the rubber seal just doesn't extend far enough and light leaks through everywhere! They really should have included (or sell) different sized seals since they're user removable.

I think the thing there is they'd prefer you to have a gap to let air flow. I gave up wearing it higher to close the gap on the lower side and just accepted the light leaking in. Didn't take long to get used to and doesn't really kill experiences for me, whereas discomfort by wearing it "wrong", especially the pressure it places on my glasses, can be a real enjoyment killer.

I have to agree with this. To get a good seal with the rubber gasket I have to wear the band fairly high up on the back of my head but this means I have to press the headset down on my nose to get it in focus.

Yup that is exactly the problem. So many ways to elevate the pressure but it means out of focus, light leak or just further away from the lenses which break some of the immersion.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I play in the dark so light leaks are not an issue for me. While I generally love how easy it is to put it on with glasses and all, and the fact that it does't press on my face, I can see the benefits of having the headset attached to my face a la Rift/Vive. As long as I don't tilt my head too much up or down everything is great but whenever I try to look down towards my chest gravity pulls the visor away (it slightly tilts upwards relative to my face) introducing blurrinnes at the bottom. On the other end if I look all the way up I can feel it pressing over my glasses.

*Splinter

There is supposed to be a gap by your nose, it reduces fogging.

Personally I don't notice the light leak once I'm actually playing a game, but you could maybe try reducing the light in your room if it bothers you.

It shouldn't be hurting your nose either. Only time I had that was when I had forgotten to tighten the headset

And? Is this supposed to be a VR game? No mention of VR in the game description, and seemingly no option in the demo.

Edit: Looks like it will have a PSVR mode, but I guess no demo so far.

Weird, I saw the game/demo listed under PSVR section on the U.S. PSN store, so I assumed that it was a playable demo. I have not had a chance to check out the demo myself.

Maligna

Banned
Just started wiping the hard drive of my OG PS4 so I can trade for a pro. Realized my PSVR is still plugged in. Don't want to touch it now that the progress bar is going.

Hope that doesn't wipe out anything important on the PSVR breakout box or HMD... damn it.

I finally got around to playing some more VR games on the Pro.

IMO people have really undersold Until Dawn. I find it significantly more crisp on the Pro. It's a very blurry, muddy game on the base PS4. You can make out the finer details in the Pro version. I'm pretty happy with its upgrade.
Tried out Playroom VR and VR Worlds with the Pro finally. It was noticeably better. Purchase justified.
These posts sold me. Just ordered a Pro. I'll try to sell my white 1TB PS4 to a friend.

Anyone with a Pro running into issues with the PSVR screen going white, or all black, momentarily? It never happened on my OG PS4 but it happens frequently now. I'm pretty sure all my cables are firmly attached and I have reset my PS4 and power cycled the processor unit.
But this post makes me nervous. Just have to wait and see, I guess. Fortunately Amazon is great with returns.

Sure it will. Rendering at native or higher resolution, or adding (better) anti-aliasing helps a LOT. And the gaps between the pixels in PSVR are TINY - nothing to complain about there.
Battlezone is supersampled. And no, it's not "crisp" like it is on a TV. Lots of aliasing and jaggies are much better but the overall resolution of the HMD, as I mentioned, is an issue. I'm not complaining as this is how VR IQ is supposed to be for the tech we have. As the display units are able to increase pixel density and hardware having enough power to drive an appropriate amount of pixels to the unit for clarity while factoring in price increases, fidelity will increase.

No VR headset has the IQ of a standard TV or monitor as we see them due to the HMDs placement and lenses attached to your face. Greater PPI will go a long way to resolve IQ.

I'm also not complaining. I dont know where you are getting that from.

Anyone with a Pro running into issues with the PSVR screen going white, or all black, momentarily? It never happened on my OG PS4 but it happens frequently now. I'm pretty sure all my cables are firmly attached and I have reset my PS4 and power cycled the processor unit.
Yup. Pro only. Didn't have much time to play much VR but once on pro and I'm going to play again in a few.

So anyone know if there's a hidden tunnel or something that's got a good number of jumping fish secreted away? For now I'll have to keep retrying story 19 in the hopes of unlocking that area fully and grabbing the remaining few there.

There is a waterfall you can pass through. It has bears outside and is near the station. I think there is only one or two at the most in there though.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

I've had it go all black on me for about 2 seconds maybe 2-3 times over a couple hours of play. Hadn't thought much of it but a bit concerned to see someone else point it out.

Stillmatic

I've had this happen near a dozen times on the OG PS4 (not recently though). It would flash black for a few seconds then return to normal. A couple of times it just stayed black and I had to hard reset the console. I never really nailed down the reason, but I think it had to do with the connections from the extending cable to the headset coming a bit loose during play, but yeah can't say that is 100% the reason.

There needs to be a proper return policy in store and digitally for VR games.

Robinson is just making me sick, I can't play it and I'm stuck with it now. This is ridiculous.

Just tried again.

Not even 5 minutes in.

Black screen twice, white flash once, black screen with red lines once and audio cutting out for a few seconds every 15 seconds or so once when the flashes started.

Will move to my OG real quick test again, then back to pro and test again. Gimme 15 mins.

Edit: real quick on the OG, is Playroom or Eve updated for Pro at all?

Want to test unpatched vs patches games for pro mode or base mode on the Pro.

somme

I had the headset go black on me several times on launch day. It turned out to be sunlight coming in through the window causing the issues. Close the curtains or adjust the room lighting and see if the problem goes away.

I had the headset go black on me several times on launch day. It turned out to be sunlight coming in through the window causing the issues. Close the curtains or adjust the room lighting and see if the problem goes away.
I'm in a pitch black room with no windows. I can only assume if it was working fine for people with OG but then got a Pro and its not working they have an optimal setup already.

Also, lighting won't make the HMD go black. May muck up tracking but not the screen.

Ok, no issues on OG.

Pro - I had the screen go black again but this time with a connector symbol with an X through it and HDMI text.

Happened in Battlezone and that game seems to hit it every time. Did not happen in EVE.

Battlezone was patched, EVE isn't (I'm pretty sure).

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Pro. Going to swap to my original cable I was using and... report back. Also swapped USB positions on the Pro for the PU.

It might be worth it to note that the social screen is still active and audio on the social screen is still active, too.

doby

I've had the black screen issue multiple times on OG PS4, all the pixels get turned off momentarily. Seems random.

Also had the signal cut out which produced static momentarily (pixels on), both full screen and half (horizontal) screen. This however was caused by a dodgy HDMI cable.

It might be worth it to note that the social screen is still active and audio on the social screen is still active, too.

During the blackout? That would suggest the headset is at fault.

v0mitg0d

Yes, I few times now I've gotten a stratic white/black screen and sometimes a little red line tracing/wiggling across the top.

Just had a little surprise delivery of Robinson this morning.

Some brief impressions - I'm pretty blown away actually! After installing it, there was a short (I'm assuming) Pro update. I never experienced it before I got my pro but I'm extremely impressed with the visuals.There's a nice level of detail on everything that I've only seen in a few titles (Arkham VR, COD Jackal Assault).

I don't seem to have any VR legs at all so I immediately turned off all of the comfort settings. Nice smooth movements and no problems with feeling off.

I only gave it a quick go as I want to kind of savour it. I really love the idea here - a teen boy stranded on a planet inhabited my dinosaurs. The mixture of sci-if tech and lush jungle environments is super cool. This is the kind of high production game that I've been craving for this headset and seems like a great showpiece for PSVR for those that are into exploration. If the rest of the game holds up to the introduction I'm going to be very happy with my purchase - really great stuff!

HDMI swap: same thing.

TO THOSE OF YOU WITH PRO ISSUES:
Which games does this happen with?

Me-
Battlezone - Yes
EVE - No
Rush of Blood - No

Will test a bunch more tonight. Perhaps these are "pro" patched games with issues?

I've had the black screen issue multiple times on OG PS4, all the pixels get turned off momentarily. Seems random.

Also had the signal cut out which produced static momentarily (pixels on), both full screen and half (horizontal) screen. This however was caused by a dodgy HDMI cable.

During the blackout? That would suggest the headset is at fault.
It would, but this doesn't happen on my OG. This is anecdotal and I know some people saw this with OG, but it seems like Pro is having more issues.

hmmm so Jack are you gonna return your Pro?
Don't know. With people having OG blackouts less frequently but still happeining I'm leaning on this being a PSVR issue. I can probably exchange my pro and see what happens. Perhaps tomorrow. Limited time today.

I'd rather keep the pro. It will have more content for it and I've tasted the supersampling and it's hard to go back.

Yes, I few times now I've gotten a stratic white/black screen and sometimes a little red line tracing/wiggling across the top.

Also had the black screen today for the first time at all with the pro. Never happened with the old console
Red lines here yup. Happened once.

-

I'm ultimately unsure of what the deal is. I want to say pro but I can't discount the HMD since people have had this with OG, too. It seems a lot of us have had this with Pro.

So far I've done a full power cycle
Unplugged all cables and reseated
Tried different HDMI cables
Tried different games

This isn't fun.

-

m0dus - do you have any issues with VR and your Pro kits or test kits? Would you be keen on sending me some compile and I'll cross reference on my pro test kit with my PSVR (never tried, hoping I can use retail PSVR as I don't have a PSVR Devkit).

I had the screen turn white for a few seconds. Happened once. Never experienced such thing with the OG PS4.

DjRalford

I only had an issue with a blinking black screen every 30 seconds or so when i attempted to add a switch between the Pro and the PSVR, since removing it and using a coupler for HDR and plugging the cables directly into the PU when playing VR i've had no more issues.

I only had an issue with a blinking black screen every 30 seconds or so when i attempted to add a switch between the Pro and the PSVR, since removing it and using a coupler for HDR and plugging the cables directly into the PU when playing VR i've had no more issues.

Which games?

I notice it happens in some games but not others.

If it's game related we can narrow this down.

DjRalford

I've never seen that.

But if I were you I'd make sure my tv didnt have a firmware update
I'd make sure all the connections are secure
make sure the video settings for your ps4 is right for your tv.

Good luck.

It was only when attempting to run a switch between PS4 Pro and the PSVR PU, going back to direct wiring solved it.

Will0827

I have one more day left to exchange my PSVR, im debating if i should as im still having issues in some games with parts jumping around slighty. The only game that i havent had issues with is thumper every play session has been pretty much flawless. Sports Bar VR and Job Simulator are where this "jumpyness" is most noticeable. I would like to exhaust my troubleshoot options before i try to get the my headset exchanged. Just noticed i forgot to mention that it has been happening with both my Regular PS4 and now my Pro.

My little experiment with Pro and PSVR

I use the HDMI coupler

1. I turn off the PS4 Pro, instead of suspending the PS4 Pro.

2. The PS4 is off

3. I switch the cables from the HDMI Coupler going from Pro Mode to PSVR Mode

4. Now I turn on the PS4 Pro now it's back to HDMI 1.4

I have the PS4 Pro set to Automatic, and what turning off the PS4 Pro instead of suspending the Pro.

Doing it this way has caused me no problems whatsoever after going the suspension method.

KOHIPEET

Finally got my one today.

I am totally amazed. Allumette is one of my favorites so far and Jackal Assault blew my mind. Valkyrie is also amazing, but graphics there need a pro pacth.

Still have a lot to try, but I already fully in love with VR.

atomsk

Party Pooper
had the screen black out for a few seconds in both Trackmania and Driveclub

was recording stuff with a Hauppauge HD PVR2

never had any issues on my standard PS4

So it happened to me again in Battlezone - usually within the first few minutes of play it will start happening and from a fresh boot.

Closed the app and launched Eve. No issues.
Launched VEV. No issues.
Launched Pixel Gear. No issues.

Back to Battlezone. No issues.

Trying to see if i can replicate this from a cold boot, if the PSVR needs to be on for a while, etc.

Also, this only happens to me in-game, not on the OS screen or anything.

My little experiment with Pro and PSVR

I use the HDMI coupler

1. I turn off the PS4 Pro, instead of suspending the PS4 Pro.

2. The PS4 is off

3. I switch the cables from the HDMI Coupler going from Pro Mode to PSVR Mode

4. Now I turn on the PS4 Pro now it's back to HDMI 1.4

I have the PS4 Pro set to Automatic, and what turning off the PS4 Pro instead of suspending the Pro.

Doing it this way has caused me no problems whatsoever after going the suspension method.
Mine is just hooked up all the time.

A lot of us have been powering our PS4s down completely since launch. This seems to lean more on being a Pro issue.

had the screen black out for a few seconds in both Trackmania and Driveclub

was recording stuff with a Hauppauge HD PVR2

never had any issues on my standard PS4

Does this happen when it's the first game you launch or can you launch multiple games and have it black out in all of them?

MrBigBoy

Had a black screen the first day I had PSVR and PS4 Pro, never happened after. My friend had a black screen twice when playing Ratchet and Clank. The black screens only were there for 5 seconds or less.

doby

Just to apply some more logic to this...

The PS4 and PSVR+PU are separate, standalone pieces of hardware. All the PS4 is doing is feeding an HDMI signal to the PU and reading sensor data via the USB, therefore if we're assuming the PS4 is at fault for blackouts to occur there has to be something going on with the HDMI signal.

Jacksinthe has already said during a blackout the social screen continued as normal, both vision and sound and that simply doesn't make sense. For the social screen to be working the HDMI feed from the PS4 must be operational. So what about the PU, well Jacksinthe also mentioned the sound cut out from the headset whilst in blackout. The sound from the headphone jack on the headset is processed in the headset itself. It's sent up the headsets HDMI cable after being "3D'd" by the PU and is processed by a chip in the headset into left and right headphone channels then sent back down the cable to the headphone jack. So if the sound is cutting its localised to the headset and not the PU.

It sounds to me as if there's something going on with headsets logic board and it's momentarily crashing/stalling. Question is, could an HDMI feed cause this anomaly and what in particular is causing it. I believe it's something that could be patched anyway and is not an actual hardware fault.

I've had blackouts on my OG PS4 multiple times, but they've been extremely quick and I just continue playing after it's happened so I can't verify if the social screen is operational or not.

During the past month on OG, I've had a few psvr blackouts, don't remember which games unfortunately. First day with the pro I had a blackout within the first hour, I was playing trackmania I believe. Every time it happens I think is this when it's going to die?

Also, I have one day left to return psvr also. I think I am going to, the pro made no difference in helping with my other problems with the hmd and I am sick of fighting with it honestly. Even as amazing as it is, I think I am done with it for now. Shame because the pro really does help with the visuals, but what's the point if I have to fight the thing constantly.

Just to apply some more logic to this...

The PS4 and PSVR+PU are separate, standalone pieces of hardware. All the PS4 is doing is feeding an HDMI signal to the PU and reading sensor data via the USB, therefore if we're assuming the PS4 is at fault for blackouts to occur there has to be something going on with the HDMI signal.

Jacksinthe has already said during a blackout the social screen continued as normal, both vision and sound and that simply doesn't make sense. For the social screen to be working the HDMI feed from the PS4 must be operational. So what about the PU, well Jacksinthe also mentioned the sound cut out whilst in blackout. The sound from the headphone jack on the headset is processed in the headset itself. It 's sent up the headsets HDMI cable after being "3D'd" by the PU and is processed by a chip in the headset into left and right headphone channels then sent back down the cable to the headphone jack. So if the sound is cutting its localised to the headset and not the PU.

It sounds to me as if there's something going on with headsets logic board and it's momentarily crashing/stalling. Question is, could an HDMI feed cause this anomaly and what in particular is causing it.

I've had blackouts on my OG PS4 multiple times, but they've been extremely quick and I just continue playing after it's happened so I can't verify if the social screen is operational or not.
Good observations.

I'm still not sure what the potential issue could be unless it's perhaps voltage related from the PS4 or the PU. The PU connects via HDMI and USB.

Pro has a different HDMI vs the OG to allow for 4k, HDR. Unsure if voltages are any different due to the 2.0 standard. Don't know much about that stuff.

The red lines is probably the scariest. Like the thing is about to push daisies on my face. When that happened my last attempt it just stayed there flashing black with red lines quickly. I closed the game but left the unit on, launched another game, no issues. Another, no issues. Another, no issues. Back to Battlezone when it happened most - no issues.

I'm really confused lol.

I'll try testing more this evening when I get back to the house. I'll try external capture to see if I get anything showing up but when I popped the HMD off quickly to check during its last spaz the social screen was fine.

Weird this doesn't happen on my OG. All of my stuff is plugged in through power conditioners, too, not just standard surge protectors. Never had an issue before. I can test a standard surge or direct to the outlet but I am banking on a hard no to seeing a change there.

Will continue mucking about tonight and this time record what I can.

Theonik

Amazon has the PSMove twin bundle for ~£60 now, though it's on backorder. Hope we get more of them soon. I decided to pick up VR Worlds to check out in the meantime after having some time with the demo-disk. I might cave and grab a digital copy of REZ since I can't wait till December. That will be my 5th copy of REZ. Eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom