• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if you're feeling brave, you can switch over to traditional controls, where L3 moves you, and R3 turns you in a smooth, continuous motion. I can play that way for short periods of time before getting fluttery in my stomach, but a lot people get motion sickness once they switch over to it.

Oh okay, yeah that'll probably get me too lol.

Saberus

Anyone with a Pro running into issues with the PSVR screen going white, or all black, momentarily? It never happened on my OG PS4 but it happens frequently now. I'm pretty sure all my cables are firmly attached and I have reset my PS4 and power cycled the processor unit.

Went black on me couple of times, I was like.. wtf was that.. sounds like a bit of a bug

Anyone with a Pro running into issues with the PSVR screen going white, or all black, momentarily? It never happened on my OG PS4 but it happens frequently now. I'm pretty sure all my cables are firmly attached and I have reset my PS4 and power cycled the processor unit.

I have experienced a brief all black screen once as well. Sadly, I did not have much time with my PS4 Pro yet due to school/work. I hope that it is just a bug and not a hardware defect.

Sony should upgrade HDMI on the processing unit ASAP. This is a major inconvenience for people with HDR capable TVs. I dropped over $1,000 on their hardware in less than a month and I have to deal with this bullshit. It should not be too difficult to fix this mess either.

Just do a limited production run and then a trade in program for every PS4 Pro and PSVR owner to fix this mess.

panda-zebra

Interesting, I had this twice when testing stuff out on Thursday. Everything went black for a split second both times and IIRC audio cut out.

Eighthours

I had some headphone audio cut-outs, which I had to close the game I was running (Bound) to rectify. At one point the audio stopped completely. And I had one quick black screen.

deadfolk

Anyone had move tracking issues with Until Dawn?

The guns don't seem to match the positions of my hands and they get worse over time, eventually contorting into weird angles. Holding the start button to recalibrate just makes it worse and then even the headset gets out of whack.

The only other move game I've tried so far is London Heist and that was fine.

Ozorov

I gotta say I'm very impressed with the headsets tracking so far. No problems (felt like 1:1) and I played maybe 3-4 hours last night. Was really surprised by Dangerball, Trackmania and CoD.

Just got my PSVR set up today and hooboy.... I was not doing well with Battle Zone at all. I played only the demo and it made me want to throw up. On the other hand, I didn't have problem with PSVR World and Job Simulator. One annoying thing is I'm wearing glasses and get sweaty easily, so inside the goggle gets foggy after playing for a short time.

Jimmy_liv

I can't be the only one who just feels like their wearing scuba goggles???
Really detracts from the experience for me to the point where it almost makes me not want to use it.
I can constantly see the black edges of the lenses holder.

Bought windlands and it bored the life out of me. Looks awful too. Can't believe so many people rated it so highly and strangley the goggle effect is much worse on this. Feels like the light is reflecting off the inside of the lense.

Space Rift episode 1 is coming out next week. Anyone knows anything about it?

I watched a YouTube video from the devs, it's a cockpit space game, lower production values than Eve or Jackal, but more exploration and storyline. Not sure if it has multiplayer or not.

Any idea on price?

Ammogeddon

I posted about this on another thread. Quite a few of us experiencing it unfortunately. It's not just VR, it's the HDMI video feed.

There are two possible solutions that I have read about.

1) Follow these instructions http://gametransfers.com/ps4-pro-how-to-fix-the-black-screen/ there is a YouTube video about it as well.

2) Switch the deep colour setting to off in the display settings. I had put it on after a friend recommended it. Since switching it off I have not had any problems. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Please post if either solutions or something else works for you.

Edit: switching deep colour off doesn't change it :(

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Just something I noticed last night after playing around with hdmi-cec in my TV. It picks up the PSVR unit as an auto device.

I tested it and turning off PSVR headset caused the TV to lose signal even though the PS4 was on. Turning off hdmi-cec on my TV and the signal from PS4 came through normally again.

hesido

I posted about this on another thread. Quite a few of us experiencing it unfortunately. It's not just VR, it's the HDMI video feed.

There are two possible solutions that I have read about.

1) Follow these instructions http://gametransfers.com/ps4-pro-how-to-fix-the-black-screen/ there is a YouTube video about it as well.

2) Switch the deep colour setting to off in the display settings. I had put it on after a friend recommended it. Since switching it off I have not had any problems. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Please post if either solutions or something else works for you.

Edit: switching deep colour off doesn't change it :(

Wow, I hope there's going to be a firmware for either VR or Pro to fix this without compromise.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to playing some more VR games on the Pro.

IMO people have really undersold Until Dawn. I find it significantly more crisp on the Pro. It's a very blurry, muddy game on the base PS4. You can make out the finer details in the Pro version. I'm pretty happy with its upgrade.

Tethered is certainly more crisp, but it's not as big of a jump as something like RIGS. It's already one of the better looking PSVR games in terms of image quality, so the extra crispness is nice but I didn't consider it immediately noticeable.

Super Stardust is still more blurry than it has any right to be, but it did look more crisp. It has been a couple weeks or so since I last played it, so I'm going off of long term memory here. But I felt like I was actually looking through the planet to see objects on the other side of it because I could actually make out things in the distance much better.

So my wife is getting me the move controllers for Christmas and I need to choose 1 £30 game (VR world's or job simulator) and 1 £15 game (Batman or rush of blood)?

panda-zebra

Just got my PSVR set up today and hooboy.... I was not doing well with Battle Zone at all. I played only the demo and it made me want to throw up. On the other hand, I didn't have problem with PSVR World and Job Simulator. One annoying thing is I'm wearing glasses and get sweaty easily, so inside the goggle gets foggy after playing for a short time.

Don't run before you can walk. Take Battlezone for a spin occasionally and don't ever try to get past a rising feeling of nausea.

As for fog, maybe sacrifice a little of your view by sliding the unit out a click or two and try to avoid your own temperature being way above your PSVR's. Only time I had it was during/after drinking hot tea with a cold unit in a freezing cold room, went away after a couple of minutes.

panda-zebra

New PSVR Releases Next Week:

Time Machine VR [November 15]

Space Rift - Episode 1 [November 15]

Space Rift looks passable, Time Rift looks cheesy af and, judging by the trailer, seems to lean heavily on the same kind of obvious whoa-something-is-coming-right-for-my-face that bt-the-numbers 3D films have. I'll still be tempted by both if the prices are right. TR just made me want Aquanaut's Holiday VR once again... imagining that with an Eagle Flight-like control scheme...

Nebulous is up on the U.S PSN store. It has a demo too.

Physics-based puzzler, downloading now.

Ozorov

Space Rift looks passable, Time Rift looks cheesy af and, judging by the trailer, seems to lean heavily on the same kind of obvious whoa-something-is-coming-right-for-my-face that bt-the-numbers 3D films have. I'll still be tempted by both if the prices are right. TR just made me want Aquanaut's Holiday VR once again... imagining that with an Eagle Flight-like control scheme...

Physics-based puzzler, downloading now.
Impressions about the demo laters please. Does anyone know if you can play the Tomb Raider VR-game without have played the main game first?

panda-zebra

Did the Nebulous devs pull a Hyper Void?

How do you get the demo to fire up in VR mode? All I got is cinema and no apparent option to switch to VR...
yep, it could well be just me being dense...

Just had this last night. Thought it was something I did as I noticed the cord into the headset was bent a bit. Hopefully something Sony can fix soon.

I can't be the only one who just feels like their wearing scuba goggles???
Really detracts from the experience for me to the point where it almost makes me not want to use it.
I can constantly see the black edges of the lenses holder.
Yeah I think I was so wowed by the visuals the first few weeks, that now the small window of viewing area is detracting a bit from the experience. What can you do though. We are in the infancy of this new technology. What is really getting to me is the physical discomfort around my nose. Man if this is supposed to be the most comfortable VR option I can't imagine what the others are like. What's it been a month now? I've tried tried everything and the thing is just so uncomfortable around the bridge of my nose no matter what I do. Real bummer because I could get lost in this thing for hours if it wasn't for discomfort.

Update for Alumette is online
What? Talk to me!

Apenheul

It's been a while since I've started Alumette but I just watched through the whole movie again, I didn't see any difference but I don't remember the start screen so that might be new.

Found a new reason to love PSVR+Pro.

Got tired of playing PSVR last night and wanted to try out my new Titanfall 2.

Was about to turn off the headset when I decided to try the 2D/Cinema mode out for the first time. I was alway lukewarm about playing non psvr games or watching movies through the headset because I also have the GEAR VR and the mock movie theater experience therein is is FANTASTIC. Because Sony never took the time to copy that feel, i figured that wasn't going to waste my time with the whole giant screen floating on black nothingness thing.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Playing Titanfall 2 with the headphones and on that screen felt like I was in my own theater and that I was really watching the game on the big screen. The campaign experience on this thing is incredible and so immersive.

I played for about an hour before taking it off, and coming out of that to my 47" screen really made every thing seem small and less...cinematic. I never considered using the headset for any other gaming experience that wasn't VR, but now I'm beginning to think that even with standard games, the PSVR might be my choice.

I doubt that I'll always choose that option, but prior to this I was definitely in the camp of, "Why would anyone play this way when they could just watch on their television."

Wow.

urgh. Not even sure how it happened but my left lens on the PSVR has a scratch? I think its from my glasses? Very annoyed. Anyone recommend ways to fix?

Played thumper. While the visual improvements isn't super noticable when you're flying down that track, you'll definitely notice it when you get to the boss. (Ps4pro). So much better visually now.

urgh. Not even sure how it happened but my left lens on the PSVR has a scratch? I think its from my glasses? Very annoyed. Anyone recommend ways to fix?

Played thumper. While the visual improvements isn't super noticable when you're flying down that track, you'll definitely notice it when you get to the boss. (Ps4pro). So much better visually now.
Find a very fine microfiber cloth. I thought mine was scratched too and tried a different cloth and it rubbed off.

I'm in the same boat. I legit enjoyed the PSVR vanilla game but I had to stop playing because the blurriness in the distance made it uncomfortable enough where I started questioning my own vision. This robbed all of my enjoyment. Combine the blurriness with the fact that there's rarely anyone online, and I actually regret getting this game, too.

If there was one game that I really bought the PRO for, it was DCVR. That there's no patch to improve it as significantly as REZ is disappointing.

The real killer here is that there doesn't seem to be any decent racing games on the horizon, either. I don't want a 'mode' within GT Sport, I want a GT Sport VR game game built around VR. Even if it's a smaller experience.

Also, I don't have any complaints about the 1080p rez of the physical googles. I've played a lot of VIVE and while that is SUPER clear, the image on my PSVR is good enough. Playing vanilla Job Simulator was a revelation. It's fine. Any improvement on the lens is icing at this point.

If you're looking for stuff to do in DCVR I'm running a competition across both versions of the game in the Driveclub OT - just let me know if you want to take part and I'll forward you the challenges. I'm also racing online a lot of nights so just ping me a message if you want some competition.

As for the graphics, I've just kinda got used to them - it's disappointing to hear theres little difference with the pro (I have heard there is a slight improvement in clarity which is more apparent on certain tracks) but I'm at a point where I'm just enjoying playing rather than noticing the downgrade from the original.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I would do anything for a Mechwarrior/Earthsiege type game with a proper single player/co-op campaign mode. Anything like that coming?

Robinson makes me really sick. No game has done this yet and I've played everything that's been released.

It's whenever I use the left stick to move around that I get this weird sense of nausea. Actual head movement and looking around doesn't.

Really annoyed as I was really excited to play this. I can't do more than 10-15 minutes at a time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom