• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know. With people having OG blackouts less frequently but still happeining I'm leaning on this being a PSVR issue. I can probably exchange my pro and see what happens. Perhaps tomorrow. Limited time today.

I'd rather keep the pro. It will have more content for it and I've tasted the supersampling and it's hard to go back.

I'd hold onto it then unless you really need to return it especially if it's not cutting out like that on non-VR games (which might indicate a defect), as it should be good for both VR and non-VR games, and since you mentioned the supersampling which will likely be a rather common feature in most upcoming new PS4 games, if this is at all common for all we know it could be some kind of small bug in the HDMI syncing or copy-protection check since the Pro has the newer HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 that can be fixed with firmware quickly, they are probably gathering a bunch of feedback right now for one of those stability updates.

I've only gotten to play one thing for a bit in VR since getting the system so unfortunately I'm not much help in reporting if I've experienced this error too yet.

HDMI swap: same thing.

TO THOSE OF YOU WITH PRO ISSUES:
Which games does this happen with?

Me-
Battlezone - Yes
EVE - No
Rush of Blood - No

Will test a bunch more tonight. Perhaps these are "pro" patched games with issues?
I got it for split seconds in Playroom VR and Oceans Decent. Panic each time. Sorry but I'm glad others are having issues. Lol I didn't really laugh out loud.

doby

Good observations.

I'm still not sure what the potential issue could be unless it's perhaps voltage related from the PS4 or the PU. The PU connects via HDMI and USB.

Pro has a different HDMI vs the OG to allow for 4k, HDR. Unsure if voltages are any different due to the 2.0 standard. Don't know much about that stuff.

The red lines is probably the scariest. Like the thing is about to push daisies on my face. When that happened my last attempt it just stayed there flashing black with red lines quickly. I closed the game but left the unit on, launched another game, no issues. Another, no issues. Another, no issues. Back to Battlezone when it happened most - no issues.

I'm really confused lol.

I'll try testing more this evening when I get back to the house. I'll try external capture to see if I get anything showing up but when I popped the HMD off quickly to check during its last spaz the social screen was fine.

Weird this doesn't happen on my OG. All of my stuff is plugged in through power conditioners, too, not just standard surge protectors. Never had an issue before. I can test a standard surge or direct to the outlet but I am banking on a hard no to seeing a change there.

Will continue mucking about tonight and this time record what I can.

It's not the voltages as that's all handled by the PU and as you say you don't experience it with the OG so you can rule that out. It's something to do with the data feed, the PU is just repeating/splitting the data from the PS4, so if there's a bug in that data signal it could cause things to crash, perhaps the headset is just more sensitive to it than a TV.

I'm not getting the Pro until Monday. Initially I has no interest but after the impressions on here I've succumbed!

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Anyone with a Pro running into issues with the PSVR screen going white, or all black, momentarily? It never happened on my OG PS4 but it happens frequently now. I'm pretty sure all my cables are firmly attached and I have reset my PS4 and power cycled the processor unit.

On Driveclub I have had the screen go all black and the sound cut out at the same time, I have also had just the sound cut out on the headphones a couple of times, but I could still hear the sound coming from the speakers connected to the AV receiver, so I assume the social screen was still working fine.

panda-zebra

There is a waterfall you can pass through. It has bears outside and is near the station. I think there is only one or two at the most in there though.

Thanks for the tip - that got me looking in the right area at least, I thought the Louvre district was that around the ferris wheel, didn't realise it stretched the full length of the map by the river - the remaining fish were all up the far end near the station.

eagleflight_201611122keyzq.jpg

The ability you get from completing the story makes searching for them much easier.

EDIT:
Had 1 more momentary blackout this evening with EF, weird the Pro is having some sort of syncing issue with PSVR, would have thought that'd have shown itself before people got them in their homes. It's sure to get patched soon.

Joystick

Battlezone is supersampled. And no, it's not "crisp" like it is on a TV.

I'm responding to your comment that "Pro won't make PSVR sharp". It will definitely improve in sharpness with higher resolution and AA.

I'm also not complaining. I dont know where you are getting that from.

It certainly sounds that way. "You're literally able to see between pixels due to how the lenses focus the image which is mere inches from your eyes" is negative and quite untrue.

Just had a little surprise delivery of Robinson this morning.

Some brief impressions - I'm pretty blown away actually! After installing it, there was a short (I'm assuming) Pro update. I never experienced it before I got my pro but I'm extremely impressed with the visuals.There's a nice level of detail on everything that I've only seen in a few titles (Arkham VR, COD Jackal Assault).

I don't seem to have any VR legs at all so I immediately turned off all of the comfort settings. Nice smooth movements and no problems with feeling off.

I only gave it a quick go as I want to kind of savour it. I really love the idea here - a teen boy stranded on a planet inhabited my dinosaurs. The mixture of sci-if tech and lush jungle environments is super cool. This is the kind of high production game that I've been craving for this headset and seems like a great showpiece for PSVR for those that are into exploration. If the rest of the game holds up to the introduction I'm going to be very happy with my purchase - really great stuff!

You sold me on the game. It's only 29,99 euro over here ( Netherlands ) so it's not too bad

I'd hold onto it then unless you really need to return it especially if it's not cutting out like that on non-VR games (which might indicate a defect), as it should be good for both VR and non-VR games, and since you mentioned the supersampling which will likely be a rather common feature in most upcoming new PS4 games, if this is at all common for all we know it could be some kind of small bug in the HDMI syncing or copy-protection check since the Pro has the newer HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 that can be fixed with firmware quickly, they are probably gathering a bunch of feedback right now for one of those stability updates.

I've only gotten to play one thing for a bit in VR since getting the system so unfortunately I'm not much help in reporting if I've experienced this error too yet.

It's not the voltages as that's all handled by the PU and as you say you don't experience it with the OG so you can rule that out. It's something to do with the data feed, the PU is just repeating/splitting the data from the PS4, so if there's a bug in that data signal it could cause things to crash, perhaps the headset is just more sensitive to it than a TV.

I'm not getting the Pro until Monday. Initially I has no interest but after the impressions on here I've succumbed!
Thanks for the input, guys. Should be back home in a few hours.

I'm responding to your comment that "Pro won't make PSVR sharp". It will definitely improve in sharpness with higher resolution and AA.

It certainly sounds that way. "You're literally able to see between pixels due to how the lenses focus the image which is mere inches from your eyes" is negative and quite untrue.
Of course it will improve the IQ, but it's still VR quality IQ, which is fine. Lots of people have no idea what to expect of VR, in general and it's good to put expectations in check.

Also, screen door is NOT untrue. It's there. Its just not as absurd as Vive or Oculus.

Look, man. I love my PSVR and I've had people over for the explicit purpose of getting them hooked on it because I want VR to succeed. I don't have any agenda against the PSVR so I'm unsure why I am not allowed to be critical when stating the truth and then get told it's untrue (what the fuck?). I can like something and be critical of it at the same time.

Chillax, bud.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
When I asked about local coop games besides Playroom a couple of weeks ago, a few guys mentioned "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes".

Are there any other good ones out already?

Black Hat Cooperative, Diner Duo, Ruckus Ridge etc

PrinceKee

The bump thr PS4 pro gives Playroom VR was very noticeable. The game is just so clean looking now and not blurry at all really. Also Until Dawn looks a lot better on Pro also which IMO is the best VR. I agree Jackal assault is amazing wasn't really expecting to enjoy it as much as I did and wish they'd turn it into a full VR game...

vpance

PSVR is noticeably brighter with Pro, even in unpatched games. I wonder what the reason is, or why it can't be like this with PS4?

bumpkin

The bump thr PS4 pro gives Playroom VR was very noticeable. The game is just so clean looking now and not blurry at all really. Also Until Dawn looks a lot better on Pro also which IMO is the best VR. I agree Jackal assault is amazing wasn't really expecting to enjoy it as much as I did and wish they'd turn it into a full VR game...
Are the explosions still low-res looking on the Pro?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Wow that game has been a shitshow on so many levels.

It's sad because the game is so damn fun, I can get lost in it for hours, but the low resolution really ruins it and I had assumed a Pro patch would at least enable some kind of super sampling, but nope, game still has Lego sized pixels.

Okay so is anyone NOT having occasional blackout issues on the Pro?

Those that are, are games still playable or is it frequent enough that you'd suggest I save my money until it's fixed? Cuz $400 is a lot, brehs. At that price point I expect everything to work as designed.

DjRalford

Those that are, are games still playable or is it frequent enough that you'd suggest I save my money until it's fixed? Cuz $400 is a lot, brehs. At that price point I expect everything to work as designed.

since removing my switch, no i am not aving any more blackouts.

somme

Robinson isn't has bad as people made out. I haven't felt nauseated once, but my VR legs are pretty good now. There are some truly "wow" moments, but on the whole it's pretty average. Definitely wait for a sale, it is overpriced, but definitely pick it up when it's cheaper.

I have had my pro for two days and haven't experienced this, hope it doesn't happen to me. I'll read back some pages to see what people are saying but this is the first I've heard of it.

Edit: ok, reading a bit on the last page I do recall having the VR black out on my OG unit (can't recall the games) like a black out flash a few times. I thought it was the cables getting jostled or yanked on. It hasn't happened in a long time since then however.

With the pro I haven't experienced it.

Maligna

Banned

Just tried my PS Pro for the first time. Played the chase sequence in the London Heist. Went to black for a split second. Probably about a second. No issues for the rest of the level. Never happened on OG PS4. Games looks so much better though, if I have the occasional blackout for a split second, I think I may be able to put up with it. I'm loving the better visuals.

Shoeless

On my original PS4, I would occasionally lose the image, and have the white crossed out HDMI icon appear on screen for a second, but then the image would eventually return. This usually happened loading up games.

On the Pro, so far I've played Robinson, Batman, VR Playroom, the COD Jackal demo, and the VR demo disc and no blackouts so far.

Got Robinson today... played for 10 minutes and was about to vomit. This is the only PSVR game that has given me this reaction (and I have Rigs and some other dual stick games). Not sure what it is about this game that makes me sof sick, but it's not playable for me.

Question for those who are fine with it: what control method do u use (free vs pie, etc)?

Edit: I'm playing on a Pro if that matters.

Grinchy

Banned
Got Robinson today... played for 10 minutes and was about to vomit. This is the only PSVR game that has given me this reaction (and I have Rigs and some other dual stick games). Not sure what it is about this game that makes me sof sick, but it's not playable for me.

Question for those who are fine with it: what control method do u use (free vs pie, etc)?

I don't have a lot of time in it yet, but I can understand it being rough for some people. I was using the smooth camera movement and I'm just not bothered by it.

But I was bothered by this type of 1st person movement the first couple times I tried out VR with a game called World War Toons. It just took me playing a ton of VR games and suddenly I was no longer bothered by anything.

I know I have said this before but I really hope Sony brings out an alternative to the move controllers that also features two analogue sticks and a full button array. There are so many Vive games that could be easily ported over but with the current PSVR controller options they would need a overhaul to work.

Wow, I'm really impressed with the Virtual Cinema mode. I don't even care about the reduced image quality, because the immersion that comes from making the room around you "invisible" and having nothing in view but a massive simulated theater is just revelatory.

Am I the only one who'll be playing regular PS4 games using PSVR as my default option? This is such an overlooked feature.

I haven't had a chance to check out much in the way of actual VR stuff yet. If I'm this impressed already, I don't think I'm ready.

Am I the only one who'll be playing regular PS4 games using PSVR as my default option? This is such an overlooked feature.
The reduced image quality alone makes it a deal breaker. There's nothing to be gained for me using the cinema more. It's a terrible implementation too compared to other devices like Gear VR. There's no immersion or even the sense of scale. Great VR is better in these aspects. It feels more like I took a phone and brought it close to my face.

TrojanAg

Are there noticeable differences for Batman VR on the Pro? I heard that it didn't have a Pro patch because it already shipped with it in the game but I don't know how accurate that is.

DjRalford

Are there noticeable differences for Batman VR on the Pro? I heard that it didn't have a Pro patch because it already shipped with it in the game but I don't know how accurate that is.

It is noticibly cleaner on the pro, but i do not know if it has anything to do with the patch, the edge peripheral blur is gone completely.

Are the included headphones the only way to hear 3D audio, or can you get the same effect from, say, the PS Gold headset or really high quality earbuds?

I was actually surprised it actually didn't look that bad, PSVR is like a Remote Play alternative to me that doesn't need to be charged, I play a lot of games in cinema mode.

Shoeless

I got a sense of fluttering stomach from Here They Lie, but Robinson actually made me feel a little bit nauseous after a while. At that time, I was using the pie movement. I switched over to free, and I'm still experiencing some nausea, but not as severe. I guess this is one of those games that I'm going to have to build up a tolerance for.

ElNino

I tried PSVR on my Pro tonight for the first time, and while I didn't see any blackouts, I did get consistent audio skipping (every 20 seconds or so) in VR Worlds. I never had any issues playing on the OG PS4 and I didn't notice it in Playroom VR.

Grinchy

Banned
I tried PSVR on my Pro tonight for the first time, and while I didn't see any blackouts, I did get consistent audio skipping (every 20 seconds or so) in VR Worlds. I never had any issues playing on the OG PS4 and I didn't notice it in Playroom VR.

I got them a ton on the base PS4 when I first played Super Stardust. It was the same problem- audio dropping out every 10-20 seconds consistently. I plugged the USB cable into the other slot and powered everything down and it didn't happen again.

The USB thing isn't a good solution for the Pro though since the one we all want to use is the one in the back.

Just got home late. Will test every game I have tomorrow on cold and warm boot, as I've mentioned it seems to right itself when exiting the game and relaunching. I just haven't tested all games this way from boot.

Wanted to tonight but I'll give it a go in the morning. Sorry guys. Didn't want to just not say anything when I thought I would have time tonight.

Edit:

A thread on Reddit suggests changing HDCP to 1.4 in safe mode. Power off the console, hold the power button for 7 seconds until you hear 2 beeps to enter the safe mode. Change HDCP to 1.4

From there you may have to disable HDCP in system settings on boot, but you shouldn't have to. Worth a try there, too.

You'll have to re-enable HDCP in system settings only to watch streaming stuff like Netflix.

I'm assuming HDMI 2.x uses HDCP 2.x by default on Pro? This shouldn't really matter but it was one Reddit user's suggestion a few days go.

Googling this problem with the Pro seems it is affecting a lot of people :(

antibolo

Banned

I don't think that's happened to me so far.

bumpkin

Is anyone else having issues with Tethered after installing the 1.0.2 update? I keep clicking on my Peeps, but they won't interact with anything that I tether them to. It basically renders the game unplayable.

Also, damn all of these impressions of the Pro improving PSVR fidelity. I like my current limited edition PS4, I don't want to upgrade. :(

Wow, I'm really impressed with the Virtual Cinema mode. I don't even care about the reduced image quality, because the immersion that comes from making the room around you "invisible" and having nothing in view but a massive simulated theater is just revelatory.

I haven't had a chance to check out much in the way of actual VR stuff yet. If I'm this impressed already, I don't think I'm ready.

I too am a big fan of playing non-VR games in cinematic mode. Lately I've been playing Uncharted 4 and Titanfall 2 this way and I just can't imagine going back to playing on my TV.

It's interesting on the Pro my drifting issues seem to have disappeared.

Though in VEV, the menu and a bit in gameplay the world is shifting badly and just jumping all over the place for some reason. Never had the slightest hint of that on the OG.

panda-zebra

It's happened 4 or 5 times in about 8 hours. Lasts a fraction of a second, like blinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom