• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haint

Been playing Bound for the first time and even though it's really awe-inspiring in VR, the camera makes it a little hard to enjoy. It's either crane your neck in all kinds of directions or flick the right analogue stick and watch a slideshow. Wish the camera would just track and rotate like a normal third-person game.

What a bizarre decision considering how rare nausea from third person games is.

Picked up Holoball and have some world wobble and Move tracking issues specifically in that game. Makes it difficult to play it at all. I've done all the usual tracking troubleshooting. Are most people having minimal problems with it?

Glix

Picked up Holoball and have some world wobble and Move tracking issues specifically in that game. Makes it difficult to play it at all. I've done all the usual tracking troubleshooting. Are most people having minimal problems with it?

I only get these issues if I significantly move after launching the game.

Yesterday I was showing it to a friend, and we launched the game and the calibration screen came up. THEN I had them stand up and move to the right spot to play. The calibration went real wonky.

I powered the ps4 completely down, and had them stay in the spot. Powered up, launched the game, and then everything was fine.

FWIW

ALSO - I said it before, but congrats to all the new Holoball owners, its one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

EDIT - It might have been what Lamonster is saying, I am not sure. But I have noticed that the calibration does not like big movement. If you are sitting and playing something, and then boot up something where you have to stand, the headset does not like it ESPECIALLY if you have to adjust the camera. At that point its just better to reboot the whole system.

somme

Only How We Soar for EU today. We only got the NBA one last week. Feels like we've missed out on about 5 games over the last two weeks. :(

I only get these issues if I significantly move after launching the game.

Yesterday I was showing it to a friend, and we launched the game and the calibration screen came up. THEN I had them stand up and move to the right spot to play. The calibration went real wonky.

I powered the ps4 completely down, and had them stay in the spot. Powered up, launched the game, and then everything was fine.

FWIW

ALSO - I said it before, but congrats to all the new Holoball owners, its one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

Thank you for your insight here. When I started it up I realized I had to stand father back than I usually sit for most of my other VR games. Once the calibration screen came up I then moved to where it wanted me to...... Next time I'll try to be where I now know it wants me to be to begin with and see if that works.

Glix

I've been meaning to mention on this forum MY solution. Rather than using a coupler and swapping cables, I grabbed this mofo:

HDMI Switch

It's 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 compliant.

It switches between 2 ports.

I have option 1 routed directly to HDMI 1 on the TV. Option is 2 routed directly to the breakout box, which in turn is plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV.

It works perfectly. No fuss, no mess, no damaging cables by constantly coupling and uncoupling.

Thats great. I thought I read that people were having issues with Switches?

Maybe because this one is specifically HDR, 4k and 2.0 that it is working properly?

I've had major HDCP issues in the past with HDMI couplers/splitters/etc.

I've been meaning to mention on this forum MY solution. Rather than using a coupler and swapping cables, I grabbed this mofo:

HDMI Switch

It's 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 compliant.

It switches between 2 ports.

I have option 1 routed directly to HDMI 1 on the TV. Option is 2 routed directly to the breakout box, which in turn is plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV.

It works perfectly. No fuss, no mess, no damaging cables by constantly coupling and uncoupling.

Edit- I have HDCP disabled too (I don't watch blue rays on my PS4.)

This switch power itself right?
Last thing I need is another device that requires an outlet.

Hale-XF11

Just curious what region you are in..

I'm in the US.
I haven't played this since release day and was wondering when the new planets were coming (if ever).

Also US here.

I feel kinda ripped off now, because I'd at least expect there to be more than one planet to start with. Oh well, that's what I get for not researching the game more beforehand.

Oh that's great news. Bound looks and plays wonderfully but the camera needs to be automated asap. Having to flick the analog every three seconds is tedious work.
I'm glad devs are adding comfort options for those prone to motion sickness, but some of us have strong VR legs and want a full experience.

VR has never made me sick, and I actually crave those "butterflies-in-your-stomach" moments so it sucks when devs limit those.

antibolo

Banned
I'm glad devs are adding comfort options for those prone to motion sickness, but some of us have strong VR legs and want a full experience.

VR has never made me sick, and I actually crave those "butterflies-in-your-stomach" moments so it sucks when devs limit those.

If you actually "crave" those moments (whatever the hell they are) then it's pretty safe to assume that they are not related to VR sickness at all.

Pretty sure they are - like hopping around sideways in Scavenger's Odyssey...stuff that everyone says makes them sick.

Rigs is kinda stomache churning so you should try it. Double jumping whooosh. its definitely one that can trigger your reaction. My VR legs are getting better at it but I still rip the headset off. lol

and I definitely won't play it if i've had a drink or two.

Glix

The bound dev said (either here on gaf or in an interview, I think it was gaf) that they couldn't pass cert with the follow camera, it made every tester sick.

Damn, just got Holloball because of you VR heads getting me excited to try it, and Bound, and Carnival games for the kids...

Was able to scoop during the deals and coupon phase, can't wait to try them tonight...

Is Holloball a PS4 Pro updated game? I assume so...

Kyolux

Given the 10% code was still working this afternoon. I did end up buying pinball fx2 vr, crystal rift, how we soar (and steins;gate 0).

None of which I'll play much of tonight.. given FFXV.

But I think I'll give all 3 a quick try and report back on my impressions.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any further Soar, Pinball, Dungeon thing impressions?

About to bite on 1-3 of those. >_>

Given the 10% code was still working this afternoon. I did end up buying pinball fx2 vr, crystal rift, how we soar (and steins;gate 0).

None of which I'll play much of tonight.. given FFXV.

But I think I'll give all 3 a quick try and report back on my impressions.

Ah, you magnificient poster, you.

*patiently awaits your next post*

Edit:
Just read that the PSVR version of Crystal Rift has no motion controls and most importantly, no dungeon editor. Going to wait then until they add that.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, fell off the fence in the direction of purchasing when I saw it back in stock again on Amazon, since I'd already collected the PS4 camera + 2 moves over Black Friday.

Here are the games I'm getting:
-Until Dawn RoB
-Bound
-Batman VR
-Rigs
-Battlezone

Now, as a single player only gamer who will not and does not care about any co-op or MP mode in any game, are there any other good/great VR titles I should grab while things are still on sale post-BF?

Ok, fell off the fence in the direction of purchasing when I saw it back in stock again on Amazon, since I'd already collected the PS4 camera + 2 moves over Black Friday.

-Until Dawn RoB
-Bound
-Batman VR
-Rigs
-Battlezone

Now, as a single player only gamer who will not and does not care about any co-op or MP mode in any game, are there any other good/great VR titles I should grab while things are still on sale post-BF?
Great list, except you're missing Rez and Thumper. Not sure whether they're on sale though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

-Until Dawn RoB
-Bound
-Batman VR
-Rigs
-Battlezone

Thumper, REZ, Holoball, Trackmania, Harmonix VR

Bebpo

Banned
Thumper, REZ, Holoball, Trackmania, Harmonix VR

Ok, added Thumper, Rez, Trackmania Turbo, Driveclub VR, 1000 foot golf.

Are there any good scary horror games (my experience with the Rift was horror games & rollercoasters were the most intense and best) besides I'm assuming Until Dawn & Here We Lie?

Speaking of which, it seems like there's a lack of rollercoaster sims, which is weird because on PC rollercoasters were the first things people were making for VR demos. Even UE4.0 had a rollercoaster demo.

Also, Holoball looks fun but I've heard where PS VR fails is any game that is heavy on motion controls as the move just isn't good enough. Holoball seems like something where you'd need precise quick movement accuracy, does it control ok with the move?

Toma

Ok, added Thumper, Rez, Trackmania Turbo, Driveclub VR, 1000 foot golf.

Are there any good scary horror games (my experience with the Rift was horror games & rollercoasters were the most intense and best) besides I'm assuming Until Dawn & Here We Lie?

Speaking of which, it seems like there's a lack of rollercoaster sims, which is weird because on PC rollercoasters were the first things people were making for VR demos. Even UE4.0 had a rollercoaster demo.

Also, Holoball looks fun but I've heard where PS VR fails is any game that is heavy on motion controls as the move just isn't good enough. Holoball seems like something where you'd need precise quick movement accuracy, does it control ok with the move?

It works VERY well. I assume most people complan after comparing it to the PC motion controllers and the move controllers will show some slight jitter, but the controls are working almost perfectly. I wouldnt have thought that I would make so many fast and precise movements in a PSVR game, but Holoball makes it work smoothly. After practicing for a few hours, I got pretty decent at reliable aiming as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom