• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://uploadvr.com/dark-souls-vr/

Believe.

Believe.

Also just noticed this is from an interview on the 18th, so apologies if this is old news.

I want it but I don't think I would be able to handle it. Not from a nausea perspective even bad glitches don't bother me but if the atmosphere is anywhere close to DeS or Bloodborne I'd probably be shitting it. Can you imagine half the bosses from Bloodborne coming at you in VR, fuuuck that. Day one though, I would love to get scared shitless in that kind of world.

soloscout

Neo Member
I can't help but worry that PSVR won't get the dev love it demands. I'm putting a lot of my faith into the hands of RE7. It needs to be the world wide attention getter for VR commercial successes in software.

I can't help but worry that PSVR won't get the dev love it demands. I'm putting a lot of my faith into the hands of RE7. It needs to be the world wide attention getter for VR commercial successes in software.
I agree with you about a lot of onus being on developers. As much as they'd probably like to blame the industry or current trends, they need to make SOLID virtual reality experiences, and keep making them at a good pace.

An example would be the drift issue and Thumper. Horizontal drift is a major issue with PSVR. It sucks. Most games let you recenter the camera on a vertical scale, but Thumper lets you recenter both vertical and horizontal. Once you get into the habit of recentering every 5-10 minutes, it becomes a non-issue. Devs need to step up. Sony needs to enforce standardization in all VR games. Look at XBLA's success - part of that comes from Microsoft making every dev, no matter how big or small they are, make a demo available for each game. PSVR games need similar "rules" like full recentering and demos.

I'm not sure RE7 is going to be that killer app that VR needs, and it seems like Sony knows that and is marketing Farpoint as that app instead. Just look at all the Farpoint inserts in physical PSVR game cases. RE7 might be great, but in-your-face horror isn't for everyone.

If I was going to get myself PSVR for Christmas but was initially limited to 2 games, which 2 would you all recommend?

Hard question to answer.
What kind of games you like might not even align with the best VR experiences. Im no artist but i was blown away the harmonix easel..

A good approach would be, do you have a budget? You could piece together a lot of good cheaper games at the cost of something like Battlezone, which is like 60 bucks. For that money you could get Batman, Rush of Blood and something like Tethered..all very different, incredible experiences.

Chorazin

So how is everyone with a Pro dealing with the lack of HDR passthrough? Manually switching the connections each time, or did you get some sort of splitter?

KalBalboa

Banned
Still trying to find myself a copy of VR Worlds for under $30.

The 10% off on digital goods today with Amazon is... ok? But c'mon, how is this not being traded in at every corner after the bundle.

So how is everyone with a Pro dealing with the lack of HDR passthrough? Manually switching the connections each time, or did you get some sort of splitter?

1) my receiver doesnt do HDR passthrough or HDCP 2.2 so that actually made things easier for me.

I have my original VR setup the way it is.

I also ran an hdmi cable directly from TV and it sits behind my PS4 so when i want to fuck with HDR, which i havent found to be that great AT ALL, i just swap it out.

Z3M0G

FUUUuuuu... just noticed a scuff on my PSVR lens. A small spot looks blurry while playing. I went to wipe it thinking it was just a smudge, but it's definitely damaged. Pretty sure it's from one of the guests who were wearing glasses while trying it out. I'm past the return period, so I'm hoping Sony will replace it under warranty. Their site does say it can be worn with glasses after all. Last time I ever let someone play with glasses.

The issue is glass on glass or metal on glass, right? Not so much plastic on glass?

At my buddies place we took a pair of theater 3D glasses, ripped out the lenses, and wear those over our own glasses. A little less comfortable but doesn't cut away from your vision (that I recall). Definitely feels like a good solution.

soloscout

Neo Member
I agree with you about a lot of onus being on developers. As much as they'd probably like to blame the industry or current trends, they need to make SOLID virtual reality experiences, and keep making them at a good pace.

An example would be the drift issue and Thumper. Horizontal drift is a major issue with PSVR. It sucks. Most games let you recenter the camera on a vertical scale, but Thumper lets you recenter both vertical and horizontal. Once you get into the habit of recentering every 5-10 minutes, it becomes a non-issue. Devs need to step up. Sony needs to enforce standardization in all VR games. Look at XBLA's success - part of that comes from Microsoft making every dev, no matter how big or small they are, make a demo available for each game. PSVR games need similar "rules" like full recentering and demos.

I'm not sure RE7 is going to be that killer app that VR needs, and it seems like Sony knows that and is marketing Farpoint as that app instead. Just look at all the Farpoint inserts in physical PSVR game cases. RE7 might be great, but in-your-face horror isn't for everyone.
Great points all around!

It is also vital that the larger publishers support it. People complain about Sony not supporting the Vita, they did and so did many smaller companies but EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Take-Two, etc didn't except in sub-par ways. Same goes for Nintendo since the N64.

The success of the Playstation was always due to the support from the bigger publishers in unison with Sony having a solid self developed content. You look at the PSX and PS2 and you look at the sheer quantity of games they got from the big publishers it is astounding. Xbox succeeded because it managed to tap into that market and create alternatives to the ones they couldn't get.

Sony sort of forgot that the big pubs are what makes a platform successful with the PS3 among other odd decisions and allowed Microsoft to focus on securing the third parties. It isn't the Halos, Forza, Uncharted, GT that sell consoles it is FIFA, GTA, COD, Battlefield that do and without the big support PSVR wont become successful. I am slightly hopeful Sony will just from the direction they took with the PS4 and that they gave the main stage to third parties and indies rather then themselves for the most part.

The issue is glass on glass or metal on glass, right? Not so much plastic on glass?

At my buddies place we took a pair of theater 3D glasses, ripped out the lenses, and wear those over our own glasses. A little less comfortable but doesn't cut away from your vision (that I recall). Definitely feels like a good solution.

That's a pretty great idea, and I should think about doing the same, though they are selling PSVR lens protectors on Amazon now.

I am worried about both my glasses AND my headset getting scratched, so I wear an old pair of glasses that I don't care about, and I never push the headset back far enough where it's touching the lenses. When I feel it hit my nose, I stop. Haven't picked up any scratches so far.

Grinchy

Banned

It seems like the best solution anyone has come up with so far is by using a coupler.

IMO, using a coupler is not a solution. The problem is that you have to manually swap cables, so manually swapping cables with a coupler can't be the solution to not wanting to manually swap cables.

ElNino

It seems like the best solution anyone has come up with so far is by using a coupler.

IMO, using a coupler is not a solution. The problem is that you have to manually swap cables, so manually swapping cables with a coupler can't be the solution to not wanting to manually swap cables.
While I haven't gone this route yet (waiting for next year's OLED), I'd call the coupler a mitigating factor in the annoyance of swapping cables, but not a solution considering you are still in fact swapping cables.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
VEV is legit guys, for $5 it's incredible bang for your buck. If you got that $10 Pro credit, spend half of it on this. Very relaxing in the early going but one you hit the levels with hostiles it can get pretty complex with the risk/reward nature and moves at a pretty quick pace (faster than Jackal lol).

Yeah it is pretty cool. I can't seem to make it the whole 15 minutes though :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hold on, throwing up. Evasive maneuvers!!! Actually joking, motion in this is handled so perfectly. Not having a horizontal plane to base your orientation makes if feel like the game is spinning instead of the game spinning you :p

a4gahNRiJ2hz2.gif

Non-shitty quality video

2nd on spinal now, was able to break 1500 on all levels! What a rush that can be. (I posted some more thoughts and impressions in the VEV VR launch thread, loved every second of this m0dus).

Were you accelerating the whole time in that video?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not really. It's mostly online-only, so you need PS+ to get the most out of it. It's a fantastic engine though, just a great game all-around. I paid $48 through Amazon Prime. I like it way more than CoD Jackal Assault.

But still waiting on a Pro patch...
What are the chances of a pro patch? Have they commented?

ultron87

I found managing the camera in Bound in VR to be a big annoyance. It looked pretty, but the game was much more enjoyable not having to worry about it that in non VR.

Grinchy

Banned
Even though I'm not bothered by the regular VR controls for Bound, I think I'm going to hold off on playing it again until the new control scheme comes out.

I'd say using a switch is the best solution. Once you have the right HDMI cables it is as easy as a button press.

MAX PAYMENT

Hard question to answer.
What kind of games you like might not even align with the best VR experiences. Im no artist but i was blown away the harmonix easel..

A good approach would be, do you have a budget? You could piece together a lot of good cheaper games at the cost of something like Battlezone, which is like 60 bucks. For that money you could get Batman, Rush of Blood and something like Tethered..all very different, incredible experiences.

Maybe multiple cheap games is a better choice for me.

Amazon PSVR Cyber Monday deals!!

link

Star Trek Bridge Crew is tempting but there's not much out there besides a few limited videos on youtube about it. It seems a bit risky for a full priced game that we don't know much about. I've yet to go full price for any game [not that I wouldn't but they must be worth it].

Chorazin

Star Trek Bridge Crew is tempting but there's not much out there besides a few limited videos on youtube about it. It seems a bit risky for a full priced game that we don't know much about. I've yet to go full price for any game [not that I wouldn't but they must be worth it].

Pre-order now, cancel if it starts to look awful. No commitment!

lt519

Were you accelerating the whole time in that video?

Essentially yes, if you slow down or make a 180 those things will eat you in the blood or CSF samples. For the ones that latch on and knock off energy I use a lot of gyration and speed variation to throw them off. They seem to try and take a direct line, so by constantly altering course and sometimes letting off the acceleration at the same time it throws them out of whack. You'll need to set the camera speed to max for those levels.

For the water and soil sample you can take your time and there is really no need to accelerate the whole time. I do because, why not.

Really the biggest key to the game is learning what structures are likely to contain the most energy. There are very distinct locations that tend to contain a lot, I won't spoil that though, it's part of the fun. Without targeting those you'll likely run out of energy and not last 15 mins.

If you didn't see it on the last page here's the full level video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa28ZfubAKk&feature=youtu.be

I just can't get over how awesome holoball is. The most fun I've had gaming in a long time. Also maybe the first VR title that feels more like a game and less an experience. Keeps me wanting more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom