• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

So ive got the cash but im just not sure what games id even be into.
I saw wtf thumper is and i admit id love to experience it, same goes with REZ.

But Im just not sure 2 games is justification enough for such a pricetag.
I just need that undisputed killer app.

How did EVE and robinson turn out?
If you're at all into multiplayer games then rigs is fantastic. It's like if Rocket League were a first person shooter.

I don't think I've ever physically abused my own body with a video game as badly as I have with Holo Ball. Played hard for about 30-45 mins or so, and my main swinging shoulder was sore the rest of the day.

RoyalFool

Banned
^ Looking forward for some fresh blood in the thread, adore reading the first impressions where people are blown away by it and all giddy.

Ozorov

"PlayStation ‏@PlayStation 6m6 minutes ago

Resident Evil 7 demo gets its final update tonight, playable in #PSVR. Think you can handle it? #PSX16"

Who gives me an impression?

Bebpo

Banned
But unlike Vita, thanks to the PC & mobile VR market PS VR will thrive and live on indie stuff even if Sony doesn't really put much first party support in. Still would be a shame though. Wipeout is exactly the type of colorful rollercoaster game experience I'd want in VR. Plus being a 60fps PS3 game it should be able to run without much visual downgrade.

nampad

But unlike Vita, thanks to the PC & mobile VR market PS VR will thrive and live on indie stuff even if Sony doesn't really put much first party support in. Still would be a shame though. Wipeout is exactly the type of colorful rollercoaster game experience I'd want in VR. Plus being a 60fps PS3 game it should be able to run without much visual downgrade.

You are fucking joking right? Vita thrived off the indie community.

bj00rn_

Banned
Combining the low resolution of modern VR screens with realistic graphics that are held back by modern hardware just looks ugly as hell. It's like the PS1 of VR

Yeah, it's a frustrating first generation, especially if you are already familiar with the Oculus dev kits. Coming from both the DK1 and the DK2 I was sad to hear the specs of the first consumer version HMDs. For a flight sim and racing sim enthusiast like myself all the HMDs out now are basically useless. Although it's fun for a while, It's like trying to fly or drive looking through a glass bowl of peasoup. I'm praying for eye tracking and foveated rendering next year..

Hale-XF11

Was really hoping for at least a release date for Psychonauts. It was originally announced that it was coming out this year, but with December already here, I have my doubts now.

dmix90

BLvkHbg.gif

Ugh.... Yeah that's not good.

Glad there is VR support for RE7 demo though. If it's good and won't make me ill i will probably keep my headset until full game playthough. But after that...i dunno.

JSR_Cube

Ya, it's disappointing but you know that it is going to be smaller indie games propelling this forward for a bit.

I can't believe that Wipeout isn't VR though. I mean, c'mon Sony!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bebpo said:
My favorite part of VR with the Rift was games that would actually make me feel vertigo
Vertigo isn't the same thing as simulator sickness - if you never experienced it consider yourself lucky. More importantly Rift has the strictest "certification" for motion-sickness of any device on the market right now - so if anything PSVR software gets more leeway there.

-Driveclub VR. Awful. Only game so far I regret purchasing. Combining the low resolution of modern VR screens with realistic graphics that are held back by modern hardware just looks ugly as hell.
To be fair - Driveclub blurriness has nothing to do with the VR screen - it's much lower-res than the screen(as you've no doubt seen in most of the other sw you tried).

bj00rn_ said:
I'm praying for eye tracking and foveated rendering next year..
IIRC at least one eye-tracking headset is announced for 17 - but I'm not convinced screen tech will be there to really make the difference that soon - we'd need 4k per eye, that'll still be on the expensive side on that form factor, not to mention it'll likely move the needle on wireless support way back...

nampad

At least PSVR GAF can now relate to Vita GAF's dislike of Shu.
And let's not get crazy and call the PSVR Vita 2.0, because the Vita had a much better lineup so far.

Kurdel

Banned
At this point it's actually looking worse than a Vita 2.0. Vita had far more high budget, full scale, and first party games on the horizon in its early life.

VR is a different beast entirely. Studios were always going to start with experimental shit before commiting.

Sony has talked about a second wave lf games, my guess is there will be a second soft launch with a price cut in like 12 - 18 months.

RoyalFool

Banned
Ace Combat being fully playable in VR is awesome, but was really expecting at least one big AAA VR title announcement. Shame, hopefully they were just not ready to discuss them rather than not actively working on them.

FDC1

Surgeon Simulator VR is up n Europe. Is it possible to upgrade if we have the base game or do we have to buy the game again?

I would wait until E3 or even the next PSX before declaring PSVR as the new VITA. We had really busy launch window. Naturally, things slow down after that. I never expected PSVR to be well supported by major publishers at this point. The numbers just aren't there yet. Still, Vive, PSVR, and Occulus are all on the market now, so we should see plenty of indie and mid-level experiences.

JSR_Cube

I hope these guys are wrong:

"First off, the VR demo was rather brief, running only about a few minutes or so. The final experience, which will tie in with the full Ace Combat 7 game, will be a bit longer, enabling players to feel like Maverick from Top Gun, sitting right inside a fighter jet of their choice. Of course, the full experience revolves around a new storyline, which we still have yet to get details on. Very soon, we assume."

http://wwg.com/2016/12/03/playstation-experience-ace-combat-7-vr-hands-on-highway-to-the-d/

dmix90

Ace Combat being fully playable in VR is awesome, but was really expecting at least one big AAA VR title announcement. Shame, hopefully they were just not ready to discuss them rather than not actively working on them.
Is it confirmed that it will be fully playable in VR though? There is that "Playstation VR Mode included" thing in the trailer looks very similar to "Selected cars and tracks" from GT Sport.

"First off, the VR demo was rather brief, running only about a few minutes or so. The final experience, which will tie in with the full Ace Combat 7 game, will be a bit longer, enabling players to feel like Maverick from Top Gun, sitting right inside a fighter jet of their choice. Of course, the full experience revolves around a new storyline, which we still have yet to get details on. Very soon, we assume."

http://wwg.com/2016/12/03/playstation-experience-ace-combat-7-vr-hands-on-highway-to-the-d/

Ugh there it is..........

Surgeon Simulator VR is up n Europe. Is it possible to upgrade if we have the base game or do we have to buy the game again?

On the US PSN I don't see any option to upgrade and I read a review saying the tracking is pretty horrible.

Sucks they didn't offer a free or discounted upgrade for people who already own the game. I won't be paying $20 for this.

PBY

Banned

The VR version isn't just the full game?

lt519

I'm starting to get concerned

Been concerned for a while. The launch line up was really really solid but there is just so little on the horizon for people that aren't interested in two specific genres (horror or flight games). Farpoint better be killer.

As the touted VR experiences start rolling in and are clocking in at 5 minutes (Jackal), I'm concerned for Battlefront's being about the same. Games are tacking on VR experiences instead of building whole games (Tomb Raider) and now maybe Ace Combat? These are some of the things that sold me on it initially and they aren't panning out well. The indies are the only thing keeping me around.

Ozorov

PSVR News ‏@PS4VRNews 2m2 minutes ago

Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality for PlayStation VR makes a surprise appearance on the PS Store.

TheMan

oh fucking hell.

VR really is just another peripheral

VR was always going to be a slow burn thing and a lot of games came out at launch, so I didn't expect too much this soon after launch, its only been 2 months people.

More games will be announced next year, just got to give developers time and the user base will be pretty small at the moment, so not everyone will be rushing to jump on VR games right away but the developers are interested, probably a reason why a lot of big games are standard games but with an optional VR mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom