• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
oh fucking hell.

VR really is just another peripheral

tbf I'm not surprised at all that's been walked back. It's really more than just a "peripheral", because it's not as simple as adding a new control scheme. The entire game has to essentially be designed with VR in mind and that includes visuals.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Guys relax. This thing just came out a month ago, of course there aren't going to be massive new announcements right now.

Jimmy_liv

There's Star Trek too.
Plus some other stuff from Ubisoft. Yeah, it's disappointing but surely Sony aren't going to abandon it 6 weeks after launch.

I am tires of hearing 'VR experience' thou

At this point it's actually looking worse than a Vita 2.0. Vita had far more high budget, full scale, and first party games on the horizon in its early life.

Yeah, this was a sign of no confidence in PSVR. The stuff they showed looked ~okay~ but nothing impressive. I wonder what their plan is.

I was actually kind of getting interested in it and hoping PSX would really push me towards wanting one but it kind of had the opposite effect..

Stillmatic

Holy shit some people are impatient, this came out only a few weeks ago. Heaps of games already available compared to other hardware launches, and there's going to be plenty more. Games take time to develop.

grendelrt

Everyone needs to calm down

Yup lol. Ironically some of the best games on the system for me are small releases anyways. Holoball just came out last week and I love that game so far. Stuff like Rush of Blood will probably come as well, I cant imagine the dev time being huge on that game.

nampad

So no one even mentioned Starblood Arena once here or made a thread for it on GAF. Seems like even the one new PSVR game we got is not getting any love here, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Vertigo isn't the same thing as simulator sickness - if you never experienced it consider yourself lucky. More importantly Rift has the strictest "certification" for motion-sickness of any device on the market right now - so if anything PSVR software gets more leeway there.

To be fair - Driveclub blurriness has nothing to do with the VR screen - it's much lower-res than the screen(as you've no doubt seen in most of the other sw you tried).

Nah, I've experienced VR motion sickness as well. In fact I got it playing Driveclub. But I've never noticed a real correlation between fast and rollercoastery and VR motion sickness. Like Trackmania VR is fine and the various rollercoaster demos on Rift were all fine. When people are like Wipeout would be bad in VR and make people puke, I think it's BS and would be fine for most. I feel like ugly games are more likely to give me motion sickness because I have to squint more to see what's going on or something.

lt519

Guys relax. This thing just came out a month ago, of course there aren't going to be massive new announcements right now.

I mean to be fair they tease games that are like 2-4 years out all the time. Why would they not with VR if they had stuff in development? I can't imagine TLoUII is coming out anytime before Holiday 2018.

A simple highlight reel of some stuff in development would not only appease people with VRs but might get more people to jump in on the promise of games to come.

atomsk

Party Pooper
hype to check out RE7 demo as soon as it's done downloading.

will wait on solid impressions for Surgeon Sim.

Last time I trusted the dev blindly on "available NOW" was Trials of the Blood Dragon... and... yeah

Orcastar

I find it absolutely amazing that they announced a Wipeout remaster without saying anything about VR support.

Can't say I'm regretting returning my PSVR.

TheMan

tbf I'm not surprised at all that's been walked back. It's really more than just a "peripheral", because it's not as simple as adding a new control scheme. The entire game has to essentially be designed with VR in mind and that includes visuals.

yes. I wasnt' clear, but I meant in terms of level of support. I understand that you can't just make a game for ps4 and stick it onto PSVR, but I still expected to see more previews. We need indicators that exciting stuff is on the horizon.

WOW!!! RESIDENT EVII, looks so good on the PS4 PRO. They have all kinds of comfort modes for you setting turn angles and smooth headset rotation. Nice walking tutorial to get used to everything.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
yes. I wasnt' clear, but I meant in terms of level of support. I understand that you can't just make a game for ps4 and stick it onto PSVR, but I still expected to see more previews. We need indicators that exciting stuff is on the horizon.

Oh I totally get what you're saying. I meant more to frame it as I don't see many games just tacking it on like say GT sport is said to be doing or RE7. Even in the case of RE7 that game is being developed for the other headsets down the line as well. I think most games we'll see for psvr will be indies and dedicated games, but I wouldn't expect sony to invest big time studios into vr only games.

Harp

So after every video game show, we will have a bunch of people complain about lack of content. even though at least one game has been released every week and two huge games have been announced.

Chill out people, you guys are really bad for gaming, because of course now you guys will spend the next month posting in every VR thread about how nothing is coming. VR is not here to replace gaming I am glad there will be lost of huge games coming out. And I really like the face that we are getting game that support PS4, PS4 pro and VR for one price.

joeblow

Well, I'm at the show and the interest for good VR is pretty high. Right now I am one of many people in the GT Sport line waiting to play. There are four VR units and a dozen standard units. They are letting anyone through to play standard, but the wait is really long to try it with the VR setup.

Guys relax there are over 230+ developers making PSVR games and we only know of 190 PSVR games coming, we still have some surprises left, also PSVR games get surprises announced every week, we didn't know Crystal Rift was coming out last week nor RE7 VR Demo & Surgeon Simulator today. Besides its not like we are not getting games every week either. This week we get Werewolves Within and Star Wars VR and Next Week I Expect You To Die and Next Week Rollercoaster Dreams. This system is just getting started by the end of December it will have close to 100 titles released.

Have fate.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bebpo said:
Like Trackmania VR is fine and the various rollercoaster demos on Rift were all fine.
Commercial releases are all built to avoid or minimize sim-sickness triggers (Trackmania does it in fairly obvious ways too). Roller-coaster rides can similarly - be done relatively comfortably (eg. Until Dawn), but it requires specific design workarounds.
That doesn't automatically mean any sort of rollercoasting is fine, let alone racing - as you yourself experienced with DC.
Also note that - sensitivity to said triggers varies greatly - and some people are just fundamentally not dealing well with any form of artificial locomotion, no matter how mild. And what's "fine for most" just doesn't have good scientific backing atm - as we've seen with launch lineups in VR, sickness experiences get a lot of attention, so whether they're minority or not is kind of immaterial to the image of platform/sw.

Wipeout like game isn't impossible in VR - but it requires design considerations that would impact the 2d experience as well (or require building separate content, which impacts it in a different way). Given that these games are already pretty niche as it is - it's a valid question if expanding the scope (or compromising on the experience) is worthwhile.

nampad

I mean to be fair they tease games that are like 2-4 years out all the time. Why would they not with VR if they had stuff in development? I can't imagine TLoUII is coming out anytime before Holiday 2018.

A simple highlight reel of some stuff in development would not only appease people with VRs but might get more people to jump in on the promise of games to come.

Stage 1: Denial ;)

Commercial releases are all built to avoid or minimize sim-sickness triggers (Trackmania does it in fairly obvious ways too). Roller-coaster rides can similarly - be done relatively comfortably (eg. Until Dawn), but it requires specific design workarounds.
That doesn't automatically mean any sort of rollercoasting is fine, let alone racing - as you yourself experienced with DC.
Also note that - sensitivity to said triggers varies greatly - and some people are just fundamentally not dealing well with any form of artificial locomotion, no matter how mild. And what's "fine for most" just doesn't have good scientific backing atm - as we've seen with launch lineups in VR, sickness experiences get a lot of attention, so whether they're minority or not is kind of immaterial to the image of platform/sw.

Wipeout like game isn't impossible in VR - but it requires design considerations that would impact the 2d experience as well (or require building separate content, which impacts it in a different way). Given that these games are already pretty niche as it is - it's a valid question if expanding the scope (or compromising on the experience) is worthwhile.

Aren't there some indie futuristic racers on the other VR headsets? Red Out, Radial G.
But yeah, Sony can't figure out how to do it...Maybe you are right though because Yoshida decided to kill off the studio.

Happy to see everybody is hyped for ports of the PSP and Vita Wipeout games though because nobody seemed to care when they were on handheld.

sinkfla87

I really hope the VR gets a ton of support in the future but after the vita I'm not super optimistic. I wanted one before I won it through Taco Bell but the price and Sony's track record with their peripherals isn't the greatest so I held off. My friend is asking if he should buy one and I don't know what to tell him lol.

Shoeless

I'm happy about the quality of PS VR, but Sony's support of the hardware has always been my biggest concern. We've still got a lot of games in the pipeline, and I know that their marketing is going to be quite fragmented this year because they need to try to sell both PS VR and PS4 Pro.

But yeah, I do worry about the possibility that this may turn into the Vita or Move, where Sony simply stops talking about it and support dries up. I don't regret picking a PS VR headset, but I always knew there was a chance Sony might abandon it later, they do have a past track record of doing that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
VR kinda sucks in RE7. I cannot see anything unless you're on top of it. The game is pitch black. Seems broken tbh.

The poster you quoted is right.

Stop with the sky is falling shit already. Watching gafers panic and get angry over stuff is getting old at this point.

Well, I'm at the show and the interest for good VR is pretty high. Right now I am one of many people in the GT Sport line waiting to play. There are four VR units and a dozen standard units. They are letting anyone through to play standard, but the wait is really long to try it with the VR setup.

Nice, awaiting impressions!

Bebpo

Banned
VR kinda sucks in RE7. I cannot see anything unless you're on top of it. The game is pitch black. Seems broken tbh.

Yeah, RE7 didn't seem like it'd be good for VR even though first person horror works well in it. RE7 is dark and gritty and that's just gonna make things hard to see in VR resolution.

Evolved1

Sorta would be like that if you where in an abandoned house in real life huh...

:p
No literally pitch black. A black screen... so crushed you literally cannot see.

In the non-VR demo you can see.

It's broken or something.

charpunk

No literally pitch black. A black screen... so crushed you literally cannot see.

In the non-VR demo you can see.

It's broken or something.

Just tried it and it's working perfectly fine in vr for me. Maybe try resetting processor box?

How jaggy is it compared to the VR launch demo? Much improved?

It doesn't look bad at all in my opinion. I'm using a pro though so it might have pro support on vr as well as regular.

Evolved1

I think it's to do with HDR. When you first boot the demo it wants you to calibrate for HDR... but VR cannot do HDR, so I skipped it, assuming it'd be default settings.

Guess not.

charpunk

I think it's to do with HDR. When you first boot the demo it wants you to calibrate for HDR... but VR cannot do HDR, so I skipped it, assuming it'd be default settings.

Guess not.

That's just odd. It shouldn't even pick up hdr since the processor box and the headset do not support it.

It didn't mention anything about it when I started the demo from a new download.

MadFerIt

RE7 on PSVR is really impressive, but they most certainly have a PS4 Pro mode enabled, I highly doubt the clarify / effects are to this degree on the regular PS4 (no longer have mine so can't try).

newjeruse

Jeff Cannata ‏@jeffcannata 1m1 minute ago

I just played Dino Frontier for PSVR at PSX and it is PURE JOY!!! Immediately at the top of my most anticipated titles for 2017!

Ogni-XR21

RE7 looks better than I expected (standard PS4 here). And I can play it with smooth turning, and highest turning speed with no problem at all. Went from a maybe later to an instant buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom