• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know this is late for those of you that may have missed it while on Sale, but I am here to echo the sentiments about Holloball.

The game is legit, and dear god, the first minute or so of your first match, where you are, I guess, teleported to the arena, and you turn around and see your car, then spawn the ball to strike, that is some crazy Tron level shit. Just the first minute of me playing for the first time was worth the price of the game.

I have a PS4Pro, but the game looks super clean, the aesthetics fit perfectly for what it is trying to do. I am still having some issues judging the speed and trajectory of the ball at times, but tracking has been pretty damn good in my brief experiences (I haven't had really any tracking issues with my PSVR, it works as expected). But for a game with such simple graphics, it totally nails immersion and makes you feel like you are actually in a competitive game set in an 80s computer or something. Just awesome.

Stillmatic

Holoball on the AUS PS store for $16? Bought!

Picked up Bound for $11 on the PS store too a couple of days ago, glad to have some good discounts on VR games popping up.

Bound is gorgeuos in VR. Switching to 2D was pretty jarring.

Holoball is ugly but fun!

Hale-XF11

The flipside is that you should want all VR games digital so you don't have to take off the headset to swap discs. I'ved tried swapping blind and it's not pretty.

I don't understand this. I've never had to take my headset off to swap discs, since I can just push the button on the headset to retract it from my head, allowing me to see outside the headset with no fuss.

Glix

I don't understand this. I've never had to take my headset off to swap discs, since I can just push the button on the headset to retract it from my head, allowing me to see outside the headset with no fuss.

Lol I think you're wearing it wrong, dude.

If I do that and tilt my head ALL the way back, I can see out a little. But you should not really be able to see even with it slid out all the way.

Stillmatic

Lol I think you're wearing it wrong, dude.

If I do that and tilt my head ALL the way back, I can see out a little. But you should not really be able to see even with it slid out all the way.

I do it all the time to grab controllers/drinks etc. I haven't had to change discs as I'm buying VR game mostly digital, but I don't see swapping discs being difficult using this method.

I do it all the time to grab controllers/drinks etc. I haven't had to change discs as I'm buying VR game mostly digital, but I don't see swapping discs being difficult using this method.

Sounds like you play without the light shield...right?

I can barely see my phone to read a text when I telescope out the visor...

RoyalFool

Banned

Same, maybe he didn't read the part about him using the button to slide it forward. I pull down at the back to close the gap during gameplay, but yer- if I release the front I can quite happily navigate my way to my can/controller/console

Stillmatic

Sounds like you play without the light shield...right?

I can barely see my phone to read a text when I telescope out the visor...

Nah, I haven't taken anything off. I just push the button under the visor and pull it out as far as it can go. Must be face shapes or something lol I don't know, but I can see quite a bit.

Edit: Actually I'm wondering if the angle you have the headset on your head effects this? Sounds like you guys might be wearing it higher than us that can see, angling the visor down more.

nampad

I guess I will jump on the Tomb Raider and Bound deal, then I still have to get Headmaster, Holoball, Eagle Flight, Keep Talking and Nobody will Explode and then I'll Expect You To Die releases.

I guess there will also be some PSVR game discounted soon. I feel like the PSVR lineup has been pretty solid so far.

Fortunately, I was informed about my tax refund today :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't think I have enough room for Holoball.

Kinda sucks.

Maligna

Banned
Werewolves Within comes out this month. If RIGS and Eagle Flight are any indication I probably won't be able to find anyone online to play with... not sure if I should buy.

Kurdel

Banned
Werewolves Within comes out this month. If RIGS and Eagle Flight are any indication I probably won't be able to find anyone online to play with... not sure if I should buy.

We should make a PS VR multiplayer community in that new app thing for to organise VR nights.

Ok, I know this is late for those of you that may have missed it while on Sale, but I am here to echo the sentiments about Holloball.

The game is legit, and dear god, the first minute or so of your first match, where you are, I guess, teleported to the arena, and you turn around and see your car, then spawn the ball to strike, that is some crazy Tron level shit. Just the first minute of me playing for the first time was worth the price of the game.

I have a PS4Pro, but the game looks super clean, the aesthetics fit perfectly for what it is trying to do. I am still having some issues judging the speed and trajectory of the ball at times, but tracking has been pretty damn good in my brief experiences (I haven't had really any tracking issues with my PSVR, it works as expected). But for a game with such simple graphics, it totally nails immersion and makes you feel like you are actually in a competitive game set in an 80s computer or something. Just awesome.

This x1000. My arms are sore from all the Holoball I've been playing.

finally set up my psvr.I have a few questions :

1. every time I remove the headset, I notice some greasy smudges on the lens. that means my forehead is touching the leans? it is my breathing? anything to avoid that?

2. it can be a pain in the neck to calibrate the psvr to keep all the letters clear and smooth. I try my best, but it seems I can never get 100% , sometimes moving the head on the calibration screen can make the letters a bit blurry, but during the game it is fine. is that normal?

3. the resolution of the psvr is supposed to be that low? sometimes it seems It is 480p, watching a crt monitor. I guess that is normal

4. is there any tips to put the headset to maximize the resolution?

anyway, I played the demo disc for over 2 hours and did not even notice the time. I really liked it. resident evil kitchen is awesome, I can't wait!

Darknight

finally set up my psvr.I have a few questions :

1. every time I remove the headset, I notice some greasy smudges on the lens. that means my forehead is touching the leans? it is my breathing? anything to avoid that?

2. it can be a pain in the neck to calibrate the psvr to keep all the letters clear and smooth. I try my best, but it seems I can never get 100% , sometimes moving the head on the calibration screen can make the letters a bit blurry, but during the game it is fine. is that normal?

3. the resolution of the psvr is supposed to be that low? sometimes it seems It is 480p, watching a crt monitor. I guess that is normal

4. is there any tips to put the headset to maximize the resolution?

anyway, I played the demo disc for over 2 hours and did not even notice the time. I really liked it. resident evil kitchen is awesome, I can't wait!

Same here for the bolded.

Like its odd the screen that tells me top move the PSVR until everything is perfect...like is Sony serious with that? No matter how I move the thing, the whole font/letters look blurry as shit. I get that the center of the unit is higher res but the tutorial is CLEARLY making it seem the whole screen should look perfect.

So its confusing. Either that is misguiding or I have been playing this shit wrong. Thing is once you play a decent non shitty looking 480P game, things look ok.

That wobble though. Shame its gonna be here until PSVR2. If they could somehow fix it, it would be god like for its price. Didnt pay full price so Im glad.

ffvorax

Started Robinson The Journey yesterday for about 45m... and WOW.
The graphic is really good on OG PS4. I didn't expected that after the screens I saw on the internet and also here in gaf about the downgrade...

Really, it's one of the best looking game on VR for me, and I'm just in the beginning.

No motion sickness even with the free movement, still I feel a bit fatigued at the end of the session.

And it looks like a real adventure game, like a complete game, not a tech demo or just a simple experience...

39€ would be the perfect price (i bought for 39€ during black friday in italy, here usually cost 59€)

ballerusk

Will the VR demo for Battlefront be available on the PS Store before release of the full mission on December 6? 4 too many days to wait! :p

Haint

Like its odd the screen that tells me top move the PSVR until everything is perfect...like is Sony serious with that? No matter how I move the thing, the whole font/letters look blurry as shit. I get that the center of the unit is higher res but the tutorial is CLEARLY making it seem the whole screen should look perfect.

So its confusing. Either that is misguiding or I have been playing this shit wrong. Thing is once you play a decent non shitty looking 480P game, things look ok.

That wobble though. Shame its gonna be here until PSVR2. If they could somehow fix it, it would be god like for its price. Didnt pay full price so Im glad.

The adjust headset text test pattern should be at least 90-95% clear, save some chromatic aberration on the extremities. Either you're wearing the headset completely wrong (try adjusting it up and down and in and out to the extremes) or your IPD is way off from the 63mm the unit is designed for. I agree this wouldn't be a problem if they had used fresnel lenses like like Vive and implemented a physical IPD adjustment/slider. They cut way to many corners to save pennies.

ChouGoku

Anyone try Crystal Rift? Mixed reviews on steam but it's only $13

Its a game that's worth 13 dollars, I am playing on normal right now. The puzzles aren't too hard, and neither are the monsters fights. The game isn't really a horror game, but it really builds a tense atmosphere due to being in a cramped dungeon and the soundtrack. I am enjoying it, it has an old school dungeon crawler vibe. I can see how you might get sick playing, but it think you can change the settings to do more teleporting. So far I would recommend, especially for $13, but remember it is only $13 don't expect amazing graphically or animation wise.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The adjust headset text test pattern should be at least 90-95% clear, save some chromatic aberration on the extremities. Either you're wearing the headset completely wrong (try adjusting it up and down and in and out to the extremes) or your IPD is way off from the 63mm the unit is designed for. I agree this wouldn't be a problem if they had used fresnel lenses like like Vive and implemented a physical IPD adjustment/slider. They cut way to many corners to save pennies.

I'll take a slower IPD calibration process over glare any day.

Anarion07

For me what always helps is moving the back strap further up on the back on your head. Moves the screen closer to your face

*Splinter

what about the lens smudges? is that from sweating , breathing, my eyelashes? any way to avoid that?
My eyebrows bump against the lenses leaving some nasty smudges. Can either have the lenses a little further out or just clean regularly, depends how much light bleed bothers you.

You could also experiment with how the headset is positioned on your head, but I suspect it will come down to head shape and might be unavoidable.

slash3584

So finally found 2 move controllers, what game would you recommend?

I was looking into Job Simulator as it seems interesting, but I heard it has tracking issues and it's a limited version vs the Vive one.

Also what do you guys think about the Harmonix VR game?

ffvorax

I was looking into Job Simulator as it seems interesting, but I heard it has tracking issues and it's a limited version vs the Vive one.

Batman!!!!

Also Rush of Blood should be played only with 2 moves, totally different game!

I would also say Wayvard Sky, not necessary to have the move, but make it more comfortable and fun to play. And also it's a beautiful little adventure.

slash3584

Batman!!!!

I would also say Wayvard Sky, not necessary to have the move, but make it more comfortable and fun to play. And also it's a beautiful little adventure.

Yeah I didn't even like RoB, but I played it with the moves and it's a whole other game!

in case there are others in the same boat as me, i.e., have psvr in a country where psvr hasn't launched yet, which means there are no psvr-only games (or VR DLC) on your country's psn store for download.......here's a few games you can download (that can be played on both ps4 or psvr):

1. Rez Infinite
2. Thumper
3. 100 Ft. Robot Golf
4. Bound
5. VEV: Viva Ex Vivo
6. Volume (was patched with the VR component and can be played)
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties

But, for ex. Super Stardust Ultra has a new VR section that must be downloaded as DLC which is not available for dl in my Brazilian psn store (and I was under the impression that the whole game could be played in VR but that's not true, just the new tank section). I also wrongly thought that The Playroom VR would be on an included disk but it's DLC also (not available until launch).

I can't say for these if they are built to be for both PS4 and PSVR, or are patched, or must be downloaded as DLC:
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X
Trackmania Turbo
Hustle Kings
Gnog (coming soon)
Space Rift (coming soon)

It can all be played in VR, it basically runs the Stereoscopic 3D version of the game within the headset and also gives you freedom of view.

Batman!!!!

I am planning to buy a few games on the besbtuy byu 2, get 3rd free. I have no games so far, just bound I bought at PSN. I was thinking about batman and rush of blood. other games you recommend?

ffvorax

I am planning to buy a few games on the besbtuy byu 2, get 3rd free. I have no games so far, just bound I bought at PSN. I was thinking about batman and rush of blood. other games you recommend?

About physical games so...
I actually just started Robinson, but for now it looks really good in term of graphic and also the puzzles and immersion seems to be there.
I would also say REZ, just played the demo for now, but I liked how the VR give a fresh style to that game, so I think it's another must buy.

I don't actually like Rigs/Battlezone/Driveclub: Rigs 'cause I don't like multiplayer in games usually, BZ is ok but also not for me considering the gameplay, about DC I prefer the PS4 version to play, also give me a lot of motion sickness for some reason (is the only game so far...)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

->

Alright, so after trying all available demos, I kinda made the weird call to make Harmonix VR my first VR purchase. There are several other games I am really interested in, but for now I would just like to focus on this, as I read some reviews before I bought it and most people are trashing it to hell and back.

The easel mode is genuinely awesome and the best VR feeling I have encountered so far. Its a 3D drawing application with the strokes reacting to the music. To get the bad out of the way: The rest of Harmonix VR is kinda... pointless, which is also the reason why most reviews turned out so incredibly negative. Most of the other stuff is actually pretty shitty, so I will likely never do much in those modes, but I came back to that 3D drawing again and again and again. Drawing around me feels so much more vivid in VR than any of the other VR experiences managed to be so far. Its still a bit janky and probably overpriced for what it is, but omg do I love this ... lets call it application instead of game.

This is making me want Dreams VR sooooo much. If you are a creative type and you like doodling around with different brushes and whatnot, definitely try the Harmonix VR demo. Unfortunately, you will need to finish the pointless first level first, but in the Easel mode, you can already check if this is something for you or not.

I made some screenshots to share, but keep in mind that its of course not even remotely as interesting to look at them as screenshots (and drawing them yourself is even better). I usually tend to load up my playlist with stuff from the USB stick and draw something that the first random song inspires me to.
Vxb4vbI.jpg
H2zqROR.jpg

g62D7DL.jpg
bjOBhey.jpg

2XJgoqK.jpg

I really wish Harmonix would continue to expand on this, as this is genuinely the only "game" so far that drags me out of reality into this little VR world that I interact with.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is a must-buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom