• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member
The adjust headset text test pattern should be at least 90-95% clear, save some chromatic aberration on the extremities. Either you're wearing the headset completely wrong (try adjusting it up and down and in and out to the extremes) or your IPD is way off from the 63mm the unit is designed for. I agree this wouldn't be a problem if they had used fresnel lenses like like Vive and implemented a physical IPD adjustment/slider. They cut way to many corners to save pennies.

Good God no. The fresnel lenses and resulting god ray (glare) is attrocious. It's one of the benefits of PSVR even if the sweet spot is smaller. I cringe going into my Vive for a few minutes because of the god ray glare. PSVR wins by a mile in the "lens" department.

They just need to let the IPD be software adjustable easily (a slider) instead of the calibration routine.

Kyolux

How does using your own music work with this, I've never had music on my PS4?

Can I just jam in a thumbdrive with mp3s? or is it less simple than that?

Can I use spoitfy?

No spotify. Probably licensing reasons and maybe technical problems getting spotify to talk directly to the game? It needs to download the songs to analyze them I assume.

And yeah, you just jam your thumbdrive with a Music folder in the root folder. I believe. I only tried once and didn't work well for me. Have to give it another go at some point.

Ogni-XR21

No spotify. Probably licensing reasons and maybe technical problems getting spotify to talk directly to the game? It needs to download the songs to analyze them I assume.

And yeah, you just jam your thumbdrive with a Music folder in the root folder. I believe. I only tried once and didn't work well for me. Have to give it another go at some point.

I think it's mainly due to the song being analyzed before it plays. I wish it did not have to do this every time a new song starts.

I'm also not sure how many songs can be in the 'MUSIC' folder for it to work. I've had the game not detect what is in that folder when I have too many songs in there.

Haint

Good God no. The fresnel lenses and resulting god ray (glare) is attrocious. It's one of the benefits of PSVR even if the sweet spot is smaller. I cringe going into my Vive for a few minutes because of the god ray glare. PSVR wins by a mile in the "lens" department.

They just need to let the IPD be software adjustable easily (a slider) instead of the calibration routine.

Vive doesn't even have god rays, it has concentric fresnel rings which are only mildly annoying in torture test scenarios. The trade off is much preferred to PSVR's sub-millimeter sweet spot, lens warping, and noticeable chromatic abberations. Rift's hybrid fresnels are what has god rays, and I agree, they are absolutely horrible and Oculus should have absolutely used stock fresnels like Vive. There is way too much parroting of bullshit people have no real experience with but read on the internet in regards to this.

Hoping for some cool PSVR announcements at PSX.

And dayuuum the IQ for Playroom VR is much crisper on the Pro. Good improvement on Rush of Blood, Thumper as well. Gives me hope for RE7.

valeu

It can all be played in VR, it basically runs the Stereoscopic 3D version of the game within the headset and also gives you freedom of view.

i played and it didn't have freedom of view. it just looked like any non-vr game in vr (like playing on a large flat-screened tv)....turning my head did nothing to the image.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member

Vive doesn't even have god rays, it has concentric fresnel rings which are only mildly annoying in torture test scenarios. The trade off is much preferred to PSVR's sub-millimeter sweet spot, lens warping, and noticeable chromatic abberations. Rift's hybrid fresnels are what has god rays, and I agree, they are absolutely horrible and Oculus should have absolutely used stock fresnels like Vive. There is way too much parroting of bullshit people have no real experience with but read on the internet in regards to this.

I own both the PSVR and Vive, I have many many hours into both. I am experienced.

I don't care if you call em 'god rays' or not, it's not like they are a technical term anyway, but the glare is far beyond "mildly annoying". To each their own, but from this user, owner, and fan of both products. In this one aspect, I prefer the PSVR lenses more and the Vive isn't a close second.

Fresnel lenses are rarely used in video applications or picture quality applications, I understand their use with these consumer Rev-1 kits, but I'd expect them to go the way of the dodo bird in a future rev.

Glix

i played and it didn't have freedom of view. it just looked like any non-vr game in vr (like playing on a large flat-screened tv)....turning my head did nothing to the image

Then you are doing something wrong. You would know if it was working. I have played the regular game in VR, and I can confirm that this option is available. I forget if you have to select something special to access it.

Now, right at launch I read an article that said you can play the original game in VR even if you don't buy the VR tank mission stuff. THAT was incorrect. You must buy the VR tank stuff to play the normal game in VR.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Then you are doing something wrong. You would know if it was working. I have played the regular game in VR, and I can confirm that this option is available. I forget if you have to select something special to access it.

Now, right at launch I read an article that said you can play the original game in VR even if you don't buy the VR tank mission stuff. THAT was incorrect. You must buy the VR tank stuff to play the normal game in VR.

The normal game is automatically in VR if you bought the VR add-on and the headset is turned on. He didn't buy the add-on.
There are games where you have to specifically select VR, like Trackmania Turbo.

*Splinter

Is the online community for Rigs really that barren? I told my fiancee I wouldn't mind getting it for Christmas :(.
Rigs isn't so bad, there are usually people online (although not every game is full) and seems to be improving since the last patch (which combined all game types into one playlist to improve matchmaking).

There is also an active Discord community that holds regular tournaments (next tournament will have prizes from the devs even).

You should definitely get Rigs :D

btrboyev

So finally found 2 move controllers, what game would you recommend?

I was looking into Job Simulator as it seems interesting, but I heard it has tracking issues and it's a limited version vs the Vive one.

Also what do you guys think about the Harmonix VR game?

I have had any tracking issues with it and I'm not sure it's that limited compared to the vive version, but I will tell you it's super boring after about 30 mins.

Just finished oh my genesis before, what's up with that 3rd planet? It says available now but I can't download it or whatever.

It's a pretty neat little god game though.

valeu

no, you buy the original game and the vr tank mission is an option button, but when you click it it goes to the PSN store to automatically download it as DLC, but no vr DLC is available in my country yet. my guess is that the vr-ness for the original game is part of the DLC, which I can't get until April when PSVR comes here

Glix

no, you buy the original game and the vr tank mission is an option button, but when you click it it goes to the PSN store to automatically download it as DLC, but no vr DLC is available in my country yet. my guess is that the vr-ness for the original game is part of the DLC, which I can't get until April when PSVR comes here

Right. Okay, this makes sense. You have the patch, but have not accessed the DLC because as you are saying, you can't. That sucks, but at least it makes sense.

Can you make your account for a different region or something and then switch back? I have no idea how that stuff works. (but I want japanese PS1 classics on my vita, so I'd appreciate if anyone has knowledge about this)

ckohler

I know this is a weird thing to comment on but I really love the Hulu app in VR. Both the virtual theatre and virtual living room settings are great for watching stuff. I also like how the colors and light of the screen is reflected off the surfaces of the stuff around you. It really does feel like you have an absolutely huge screen in front of you.

This absolutely must come to the other video apps, including the Blu-Ray player.

slash3584

Worth it for the drawing tool thing.

I have had any tracking issues with it and I'm not sure it's that limited compared to the vive version, but I will tell you it's super boring after about 30 mins.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is a must-buy

Batman!!!!

Also Rush of Blood should be played only with 2 moves, totally different game!

I would also say Wayvard Sky, not necessary to have the move, but make it more comfortable and fun to play. And also it's a beautiful little adventure.

Thanks for the your responses guys.

Seems I'm going for Harmonix VR and Batman. I'll get Job Sim when it's cheaper,

Kurdel

Banned
People looking for a review of How We Soar: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/12/02/how-we-soar/

And to the person who asked for a Rigs review, I'll have to do that tomorrow - I was way too hungover for Rigs this morning. :D

How We Soar gave me some VR sickness last night.

To be fair, I was high on marijuana cigarettes, but I am also mostly high when I do VR anyways. The scale is more accurate than the other Eagle game, and the sense of speed when braking or starting up again was maybe a bit too intense. I started feeling hot and over salivating so I gtfo.

I will try again tomorrow on my day off, because it looked really great and promising.

How We Soar gave me some VR sickness last night.

To be fair, I was high on marijuana cigarettes, but I am also mostly high when I do VR anyways. The scale is more accurate than the other Eagle game, and the sense of speed when braking or starting up again was maybe a bit too intense. I started feeling hot and over salivating so I gtfo.

I will try again tomorrow on my day off, because it looked really great and promising.
Marijuana curbs nausea so it wasn't that :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I know this is a weird thing to comment on but I really love the Hulu app in VR. Both the virtual theatre and virtual living room settings are great for watching stuff. I also like how the colors and light of the screen is reflected off the surfaces of the stuff around you. It really does feel like you have an absolutely huge screen in front of you.

This absolutely must come to the other video apps, including the Blu-Ray player.
But isn't quality shit?

I cannot image watching something like that over my way better television in the man cave.

I'd like it for when you are on the menu (and every game). I'd especially like it for Vudu. I checked out that Hulu theater (but did not watch any content, due to not having an account) and was blown away by it. I love the added interactivity of things (i.e. in the theater being able to pick up the popcorn and soda).

somme

Hmmm, I'll probably pick up one VR bird game. Whichever gives the closest to rollercoaster/magic carpet feel. Sounds like they're both good with flaws but pretty similar.

Eagle Flight is much faster. If you're looking for something "thrilling" go for that. If you want a more relaxed and beautiful experience go for How We Soar.

ckohler

But isn't quality shit?

I cannot image watching something like that over my way better television in the man cave.

No. That's was surprised me. The head tracking kinda hides the resolution loss. Also, the head tracking is true VR so there's none of that drifting you get with "cinematic mode". The picture is rock solid. Maybe if you are a hardcore videophile it might not meet your standards but I was impressed by how clear and crisp the video image is. But more importantly, it really does make it feel like you have a 200+ inch TV (or full size movie screen) in front of you and I guess that kinda tricks your brain into thinking it looks better than it should.

Also, I'm talking about the TV shows and movie. NOT the VR clips. Those VR clips they have in there are garbage quality for some reason. Super low bitrate. The TV shows and movies on the other hand look damn good. I watched a couple of anime shows and a bit of a movie and that's when I realized I wanted to watch my other media this way.

gspat

Late to the discussion :(

What I'd like to see is more games like Rush of Blood.

Maybe Sega could dust off their Virtua Cop, Crimson XXX, Confidential Mission, House of the Dead IPs and convert (remaster?) them from the Dreamcast light gun games they were to be great again on the PSVR

So ive got the cash but im just not sure what games id even be into.
I saw wtf thumper is and i admit id love to experience it, same goes with REZ.

But Im just not sure 2 games is justification enough for such a pricetag.
I just need that undisputed killer app.

How did EVE and robinson turn out?

III-V

Both Rez and Thumper have demos, these games are must plays.

Bebpo

Banned
Got my VR and messed around with some stuff for a few hours:

-General thoughts: hardware seems pretty similar to my Oculus DK2, still kinda uncomfortable and after 30-60 mins or so my neck starts hurting slightly from the weight of it. Same mess of cables as Oculus. I really can't see VR taking off to total mainstream as long as all these VR devices need huge amounts of cables plugged into each other. Until we get wireless strong enough to carry the signals needed I don't see wide acceptance (or phone VR maybe will be it).

-Holoball: Figured this would be a good test of range of motion with 2 moves and headset standing. Actually worked really well! Was a ton of fun and played like 20-30 mins straight with no problems. Sometimes I'd lose track the ball goes when I hit it but that's not a controller thing, just a perception thing. Game like this could be really fun with online multiplayer.

-Trackmania Turbo: Great! Looks fantastic and is a lot of fun. My only issue is I thought it would be the normal game with VR but it's a seperate campaign thing with slower less exciting courses. Also why can't you change cameras? I was looking forward to playing high speed Trackmania in 1st person cam with VR. Since someone in the thread said Sony certification can fail you in VR if you're giving motion sickness I'm a little concerned Sony Cert will make PS VR they toned down VR compared to PC. My favorite part of VR with the Rift was games that would actually make me feel vertigo, like make me feel I'm on a moving rollercoaster even if my seat isn't moving. But those were the fast and exciting demos.

-Until Dawn: Rush of Blood: Fun. It's mostly what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a modern House of the Dead arcade shooter on a mine-cart. The move controls work but the accuracy seems kinda flimsy, I had like 37% accuracy at the end of the first stage. Or maybe it's because unlike most gun games where you aim with one gun carefully, here you are just going crazy with two guns. Graphically it's a little weak because the low-resolution doesn't work as well with realistic graphics, but the first stage was fun. I liked the rollercoaster bits the best, the shooting gameplay doesn't seem up with Sega or Namco's light gun games, that part seems kinda generic.

-Rez Infinite. Did the first two areas. It's Rez. New perspective is neat, but it's just Rez, I dunno I'm over anything Rez that isn't area 5 (although looking forward to the new Area X). Controls were good with the headset aiming or DS aiming. Move aiming was slow and lethargic.

-Shin Godzilla Demo. Kinda cool even if it's like 2 mins long. Godzilla is kinda scary in VR which is exactly what I'm looking for in VR. I want carnival ride stuff that gives me thrills.

-Dangan Ronpa VR demo. Was kinda of nice usage of 3d with the 3d text pop outs. Graphics were a little too low to make the cell-shaded anime thing really work. But this style definitely has potential.

-Joyroom VR. Japanese karaoke to 360 cam live action FMV footage that looks like a VCD thanks to the resolution.

-Call of Duty Jackal Demo thing. Didn't care for it after I got flying. Controls seemed kinda sucky. Was boring.

-Driveclub VR. Awful. Only game so far I regret purchasing. Combining the low resolution of modern VR screens with realistic graphics that are held back by modern hardware just looks ugly as hell. It's like the PS1 of VR. Couldn't enjoy this at all because of how totally ugly it was and I like Driveclub. If you make a VR game, you gotta go stylized, and preferably bright & colorful. I'd rather play a port of Sega's VR racing than Driveclub VR.

Overall, was a fairly good first impression. The hardware and controllers with the right games work great and are a ton of fun. It's just gonna be all about the software and separating the hits from the misses. Move controllers worked a lot better than I expected having played a bunch of Vive at a friends and the headset tracks well.

Still have Rigs, Battlezone, Batman, Thumper, VR worlds, Where we Lie to try out next time I give it a shot. Might pickg up Eagle Flight too.

Grinchy

Banned

If you don't think you'd be into RIGS or Battlezone, it might be tough to recommend. Without those 2 games, I wouldn't have played such a crazy amount of PSVR. There are other great games, don't get me wrong, but none will provide as much playtime.

sinkfla87

Rigs isn't so bad, there are usually people online (although not every game is full) and seems to be improving since the last patch (which combined all game types into one playlist to improve matchmaking).

There is also an active Discord community that holds regular tournaments (next tournament will have prizes from the devs even).

You should definitely get Rigs :D

That makes me feel a lot better about asking for it then haha. Most of the games I play are multiplayer focused and it's always upsetting when I get into something and the online community dies out too fast. I tend to always be late to the party lol. I won the vr from taco Bell and haven't had much time with it yet, but Rigs seemed like a lot of fun. I need new glasses as mine are scratched and everytime I put the headset on I panic thinking I've scratched the VR lenses haha.

KalBalboa

Banned
Bought Holoball.

Fun as sin, but you really do need an extra couple of feet for this one. It requires the most living room space thus far out of all my PSVR games.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
No. That's was surprised me. The head tracking kinda hides the resolution loss. Also, the head tracking is true VR so there's none of that drifting you get with "cinematic mode". The picture is rock solid. Maybe if you are a hardcore videophile it might not meet your standards but I was impressed by how clear and crisp the video image is. But more importantly, it really does make it feel like you have a 200+ inch TV (or full size movie screen) in front of you and I guess that kinda tricks your brain into thinking it looks better than it should.

Also, I'm talking about the TV shows and movie. NOT the VR clips. Those VR clips they have in there are garbage quality for some reason. Super low bitrate. The TV shows and movies on the other hand look damn good. I watched a couple of anime shows and a bit of a movie and that's when I realized I wanted to watch my other media this way.
Thanks for the explanation... I'll probably give it a try now. I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom