• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Not to single you out but I always wonder why you and similar posters would even consider being an early adopter?

I only owned three games in the beginning with PS4 and that was all I could afford for six months, there is so much available at this launch. I really don't know what you were expecting?

There is racing games, shoot'em ups, puzzle games, adventure games, social game's, god games, platforming games and an online competitive multi-player FPS and we're only two months in to release.

Edit: I forgot horror games how could I forget horror games and gun games.

Justify what? Keeping something you already paid for?
Forget about games because whether the stuff out now is appealing or not is straight opinion.

But buying something, selling it only to buy it again seems fucking stupid.

What did you expect? It can't be the first time you witnessed a product launch. PSVR is no different than a console launch and content doesn't magically appear out of thin air. It usually takes between 12 to 18 months for a wealth of content to build up but even so unless you are a person that excessively plays games there is more than enough content to keep most people occupied, especially if they actually play the games rather than experience them. Games like Rigs, Battlezone, Driveclub, EVE:V, all have enough content and systems to keep people occupied for potentially hundreds of hours.

I think it all comes down to
1. being somewhat let down by the tech side of things (cable mania, tunnel vision, resolution etc). While i knew all of this beforehand i thought it would be bearable. I don't think this is a mainstream product yet. So content has to be fucking amazing for me to regularly use VR.
2. The games that are out are not to my liking, they make me puke hard (not an issue of the tech (?)) or don't control in a way i find fun etc. So i would have kept it on the
premise that future games get it right - imo there is a risk with PS VR in general that mayor games never come to the system (Fallout etc.) or that some genres are never going to feel really great control wise.

So for me it was the right decision to sell at nearly no loss, and come back later if devs figured VR out and the Games i like are there. Which seems way harder then i thought (figured VR out). And unlike a regular PS console not set in stone (Games i like).

FOR FUN.
Yesterday I finished touching the last of the games in my VR backlog.
These are all the games I paid REAL MONEY for.
Gonna rate them on a 1-10 scale. Usually do 1-5 for movies but games need a little more granularity.

100 Foot Robot Golf - 4/10
Batman Arkham VR - 9/10
Bound - 5/10
Carnival Games VR - 5/10
Eagle Flight - 7/10
Harmonix Music VR - 8/10 (for the Puppets and the potential of the Easel)
Headmaster - 8/10
Holoball - 2/10
Hyper Void - 2/10
Job Simulator - 10/10
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - 9/10
Kismet - GF played this..not me. Not really a game.
O My Genesis (Dagoh) - 7/10
Pixel Gear - 5/10 (5 points for how crazy precise the controls are, game is boring as fuck)
Rez Infinite - 10/10
Robinson: The Journey - 4/10 (worst motion sickness I have had so far)
Sportsbar VR - 3/10 (3 for its potential and being MP. Mini games suck)
Super Stardust HD Ultra (VR Upgrade) - 7/10 for Classic Stardust. 3/10 for that new mode
Surgeon Simulator: ER - Unplayable. Patch on the way though!
Tethered - 8/10
The Brookhaven Experiment - 6/10
Thumper - 10/10
Trackmania Turbo - 7/10 for the VR. (Arcade Levels are the best)
Tumble VR - 8/10
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - 9/10
VEV: Viva Ex Vivo VR - 5/10
Wayward Sky - 10/10 (My GOTY)
Werewolves Within - 7/10

Interesting that all my favorite VR games were launch titles. I would say that was WOW factor but there hasn't been a ton of great stuff since launch.

-EDIT-
VR Worlds:
London Heist - 9/10
Danger Ball - 9/10
Ocean Descent - 6/10
Scavenger - Didnt Play
Luge - -500/10

I don't know what i was expecting. I was hoping for the best of Gear VR, which has some AMAZING games on it. Of this list, only ONE game is good. And by good, I mean GREAT. Dreadhalls is the dungeon crawling game that you want on this PSVR. The rest of this list is...wow.

You all should be waiting with baited breath for "I Expect you to Die". That is the new VR gaming hotness and will be launched on Tuesday (December 13).
Having played the game, talked to the devs, and loved Job simulator, yeah, this game is going to go well.

FOR FUN.

Batman Arkham VR - 9/10
Bound - 5/10 (7/10)
Headmaster - 8/10
Holoball - 2/10
Job Simulator - 10/10
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - 9/10
O My Genesis (Dagoh) - 7/10
Pixel Gear - 5/10 (5 points for how crazy precise the controls are, game is boring as fuck)
Rez Infinite - 10/10 (8/10)
Robinson: The Journey - 4/10 / (6/10)
Sportsbar VR - 3/10 / (2/10)
Tethered - 8/10
The Brookhaven Experiment - 6/10
Thumper - 10/10 (7/10)
Tumble VR - 8/10
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - 9/10
Wayward Sky - 10/10 (My GOTY)

Werewolves Within - 7/10
DriveClub VR - 6/10
Here They Lie - 7.5/10
Loading Human: Chapter 1: 5/10
E.V.E. Valkyrie - 5/10
RE7 Demo - 10/10
CoD Demo - 6/10
Battlefront Demo - 7/10

VR Worlds:
London Heist - 7/10
Danger Ball - 7/10
Ocean Descent - 6/10

Hey I had to piggy back off your list since you took the time to make it! I thought that I was the only madman that bought nearly every PSVR game! I amended your list to reflect what I actually owned (so everyone please look at the original list to see more games). Also, i completely agree with most of your scores.

As for the continued WOW factor of PSVR, every game feels like something amazing to me. Resident Evil and Job Simulator impresses me whenever i put the headset on.
Shooting the gun in the shooting range of London Heist still feels great, even if it falls apart during the Time Crisis-like missions later. The cockpit in Star Wars still hasn't become dull, even if the rest of the game could use a little more freedom and speed. I take PSVR on an experience by experience basis.

If an indie dev really wants to do some damage on PSVR, do a humble bundle of the following GEAR VR games, and you'll have a LOT of happy psvr fans:

Gunsight
Herobound: Spirit Champion
NeverOut
Esper/ Esper 2
Wands
Viral
Bombsquad
Tactera
Land's End
Floor Plan
Smash Hit

Also, a special note for VRTime, which was supposed to come out on PSVR but the dev seems to be having issues with Sony. It's a shame. VRTime is social app which is basically Werewolves Within without the game part. Choose background environment - all impressive - and with groups of people. It's a social hub. Invite people or meet randoms. Super customized avatars. Good stuff.

ckohler

Revisited last night since they added PRO support. Game is still terrible and plays like shit. Cant imagine anyone spending more than 10 minutes in it

That answers that! Disappointing...

I have to disagree with some caveats:

If you have a friend with PSVR, then SportsBar is great. The pool is especially fun and it's one of the few PSVR titles to support telepresence. None of the games (especial pool) "play like shit" for us.

I have to disagree with some caveats:

If you have a friend with PSVR, then SportsBar is great. The pool is especially fun and it's one of the few PSVR titles to support telepresence. None of the games (especial pool) "play like shit" for us.

I could never get it to work. it was incredibly frustrating, and the only game in VR that frustrated me. Insane clipping and my pool stick never functioned properly. Never found any online players. Could never get the hang of the controls. Teleporting around pool tables was a nightmare.

I *really* wanted to love this game because i think social Vr is where it's at. But damn. I couldn't justify keeping it and had to get a refund. It's the only VR game that I was that annoyed with. After one of the big updates, I had to recalibrate my height settings and ended up in the floor.

I was done after that.

ckohler

I could never get it to work. it was incredibly frustrating, and the only game in VR that frustrated me. Insane clipping and my pool stick never functioned properly. Never found any online players. Could never get the hang of the controls. Teleporting around pool tables was a nightmare.

I *really* wanted to love this game because i think social Vr is where it's at. But damn. I couldn't justify keeping it and had to get a refund. It's the only VR game that I was that annoyed with. After one of the big updates, I had to recalibrate my height settings and ended up in the floor.

I was done after that.

No offense but that sounds like user error. I could record a pool session of it working just fine if you need proof. As for clipping, I'm not sure what you mean. The game is designed to let you clip though anything if you want. That's not a bug.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing about VR is that I wish there were less games "made for VR" and more games that just have a "VR option"

Because when you have games made for VR, a lot of it is gimmicky, a lot of it is early adopter tech demo stuff. But on the other hand I can think of so many existing games that would be amazing with VR.

I mean pretty much any walking sim. Amnesia or Amnesia: Machine for Pigs would be amazing horror games in VR, any kind of first person puzzle games like Portal/Talos Principal. Grow Home/Grow Up would be so great in VR. Hell, Sony should remake Jumping Flash with VR support for PSN. Obviously driving/flying type stuff.

The thing is that I'd rather have 9/10 quality top of the line games which I can play in VR than have a bunch of 7/10 games that are rated higher just because they're VR and there's not much competition.

I know on PC as time moves a long, we're going to see more and more PC releases support VR as an added option, because they don't have to spend dev time to downscale the visuals since people can just up their hardware. With PS VR since developers need to downgrade the graphics to get the game running, I'm a little concerned we're not going to see a lot of normal videogames with optional VR modes on PS VR. That rather, most games will have a separate VR mode like Trackmania Turbo.

Which is what it is, but it'd still be nice to get more normal non-VR games with full VR support.

No offense but that sounds like user error. I could record a pool session of it working just fine if you need proof. As for clipping, I'm not sure what you mean. The game is designed to let you clip though anything if you want. That's not a bug.

none taken. I'm sure a lot of it was totally user error, which is a testament to how tough it was to figure out. at least for me.

cakely

Finally downloaded 'Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One: X-Wing' (that's a mouthful).

Loved it. It's polished, it's fun, it looks and sounds great.

Give me a whole game of this, please. My only issues are the very simplified controls (no rudder for yaw control, no roll, very slow turning speed) and that I wish there was more of it.

Almost 40 years later, you finally get to be an X-wing pilot.

If anyone is thinking of going for the platinum in Windlands make sure you do the artefact stuff on easy mode. I made the mistake of doing it on hard and there are many unreachable artefacts on sky, also unreachable on normal as I checked the ones that seemed the most difficult.

Who thought it was a good idea to release Danger Ball in VR Worlds without a multiplayer mode?

That's like the biggest missed opportunity during the last decade.

sourc3d

Dreadhalls is legit terrifying. Sisters is a nice spooky VR short film. Can't speak to the others.

TBH I think things like Dreadhalls (while fun as it was for a low budget vr corridor scare em up a year or so ago) will pale in comparison to what the final version of RE7 will offer and as its only around the corner, Dreadhalls would have to be a real budget release in the face of that competition on PSVR.

Why is this so rare? I looked at ebay and they're seling for $995! w h a t?!

Are they going to make more? Have they not made any more PSVRs since launch?

Everytime stores get more stock, people buy them and they sell out again. I don't think Sony can keep up with demand. I just hope they have Holiday stock coming , would be a waste of a great Christmas gift if not.

cakely

Just finished the RE7 VR demo.

Got "bad" and then "infected" endings. I assume to get a better ending I'll need to not get hit by the monster.

It's essentially P.T in VR. Starting it out it was honestly a little too much for me, but after putting it down, and picking it up, and then knowing what to expect, I was able to continue. Thanks to VR immersion, the sense of fear before anything happens is intense.

Good stuff. A full game of that is really going to be something special. I kind of wish the move controllers were involved but I can see why they made the decision not to.

Zombine

Banned
I really hope we get more developers on board with the Interactive Story VR games like Heist. I love getting sucked into these roles and playing my part in the world around me.

Shoeless

Just finished the RE7 VR demo.

Got "bad" and then "infected" endings. I assume to get a better ending I'll need to not get hit by the monster.

That's correct.

If you want to get the "true" ending, there are a few ways to do it, though luck does play a little bit of a role. I've usually avoided taking a hit by first grabbing the valve, going to the door, trying to open it, backing away immediately once it's blocked, then running over the shelves at the back of the room to get attic key.

When you do this, the monster usually spawns back in the other room, with all the bodies, meaning you can either try to avoid the monster, get it between you and the body bag, so you can knock it down with that, or lure it into the room you're in, hope you can dodge its attack, then slip past it.

Brock2621

I have been looking/calling for ages! Every single store completely out within 100 miles of me (Kentucky). I don't get it. Their sales figures would be double if people could just actually just have some to sell!

Cuase VR is nothing but gimmick fad hur durrr nobody want helmets on head an look like idiyit in theiyere own howse /S
People are actually dumb enough to think this way as evident by every single VR thread ever on GAF

A real answer is that demand for PSVR is way higher than most people expected and selling accordingly :)

Bebpo

Banned
Sat down and had my 2nd session since getting PSVR. Tried more stuff:

Bound - This is really, really cool and gorgeous but what is up with the camera. Having to press up on the right stick to re-center the camera every 3 seconds is annoying. Why can't there just be an auto-follow camera. Still probably the best looking VR game I've seen yet.

Pinball FX2 - So this is cool and all but how come the only camera is like you're standing on top of the table looking down? Normally when you play pinball, the machine is at your chest height. Why isn't there an option to play that way? I mean isn't the whole point to replicate real pinball?

VR Worlds - The ocean one was cool but I wish you could interact with something. As it is you just sit and watch a movie. The Luge one is pretty bad. London Heist...I couldn't even get to the gameplay part, long boring cutscenes are the worst in VR because you can't just mess with your phone or something. Didn't try the other 2.

Miku demo - This is dumb, I thought it'd be the music game but you just sit in an audience yawn. Deleted.

Eagle Flight - Like Bound, this is a gorgeous looking, well controlling game. It's just kinda of...ok though. For all the fast flying, I never get any vertigo, stomach tightness oh shit I'm falling rollercoaster feel that I got on some of the Oculus DK2 stuff I tried. Otherwise it's a pretty fun racer but story mode is not well thought out. No checkpoints and tons of instant fails are lame.

Thumper - This is awesome and VR adds a bunch. First game on PS VR I've got zero complaints about. This will be my showoff title for when people come over. This Bound & Eagle Flight (all colorful and simple visuals) are the 3 I'll show off to people + maybe the Ocean thing in VR Worlds.

Here they Lie - Alright horror adventure walking sim. Someone had complained that the walking speed was too slow and I agree. Otherwise seemed ok.

Still need to try out Battlezone & Rigs & Batman. But I'll do those next weekend. 4-5 hours straight of VR is pretty exhausting. Still not sure whether I like it enough to play these games when I could be playing other non-VR great games. Maybe I'll stick with Thumper and I'll probably finish Bound.

Yesterday night I played almost 2 hours straight at Werewolf Within and wow, this game is a blast. Very funny experience. That's what I want ftom VR: completely new concept and not the same old games but rycicled in virtual reality.

So good job Ubisoft, now I want to play Star Trek soon as possible!

Quentin

Banned
IMG_0773.png

What's the word on this app? It was in the trailer for TGS
They say it's out in Japan

Planet

Japanese Store I believe.
Correct.
Is it just for Sony phones or any Android based ones?
It works with my Google Nexus 5X, but I heard someone else can't download the Play Store app, don't know which device or why. But it isn't just Sony phones and it isn't just select other apps, it is a screen cast.

The problem is, without seeing you thumb, it is near impossible to use you phone. The idea is nice, but I can't see it being really relaxing.

Quentin

Banned
Correct.

It works with my Google Nexus 5X, but I heard someone else can't download the Play Store app, don't know which device or why. But it isn't just Sony phones and it isn't just select other apps, it is a screen cast.

The problem is, without seeing you thumb, it is near impossible to use you phone. The idea is nice, but I can't see it being really relaxing.
Why u gotta be a dream killer? I did not take account I won't be able see where my thumb is. Now it just seem so useless lol

*Splinter

Correct.

Can you run it at the same time as another game?

Mendrox

Correct.

Urgh? Why would you need to know where you thumb is? Don't you feel that? I didn't have any problems at all. o_O Welp but I can also typ blind on smartphones

Rubik8

Hey all need a recommendation

Tethered or Werewolves within?

Definitely Werewolves. I put so much time into this over the weekend! Be warned though, it's a huge time sink. If you get an entertaining group, time will disappear. I played from 10 pm to 2 am on Friday and I was stone cold sober.

Planet

Can you run it at the same time as another game?
No, it is a "game", with trophies even.
Urgh? Why would you need to know where you thumb is? Don't you feel that? I didn't have any problems at all. o_O Welp but I can also typ blind on smartphones
Well, I guess then you are the target group. I have trouble even selecting the app to run. Browsing topics in Tapatalk or Feedly works fine, but I'd have liked them to implement a "mouse cursor" you control with your eyes for precise selections, or even better a move controller.

Hah! I guess the solution is right there - I will just connect a mouse to my phone then. :]

Loudninja

Perfect – Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3hXOnPbQ0

You’ll be able to download Perfect tomorrow for $9.99. To celebrate its launch, we’re giving PS VR’s community an extra-special 20% discount off the launch price. This offer will run until January 4, so you can unwind and escape in the busy run-up to the holidays.

Perfect offers three unique environments: Northern Lights, Tropical Beach, and Mountain Wilderness. Each has been carefully curated to mirror some of the most incredible and beautiful places in the world. Sit back, and enjoy the sights and sounds of each location as you customize the time of day, change your point of view, and discover special moments in your perfect environment.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/12/escape-explore-and-relax-in-perfect-out-tomorrow-on-ps-vr/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom