• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_liv

While I still love my PSVR I have to say I'm ready for the next version. Feel like the more I play, the field of view is actually getting smaller. Don't know how to explain it. Just feel like the scuba mask is more apparent than when I first played it in October.

With you here although it did my head in from the off and just seems to be getting worse.
That and the constant steaming up for the first 30 mins of using it are the biggest turn offs for me. I just find that most of the time I can't be arsed waiting for the steaming up, wiping the lenses and then rinse and repeat every 60 seconds for 30 mins only to have to look through scuba goggles.
Which is a real shame because I really love the tech.

Shoeless

What is the reason for the field of view in some games narrowing to a small circle? Both eagle flight and the Star Wars VR game do this and it's infuriating. It completely makes all immersion go away.

It happens in Star Wars when you take sharp corners.

It's a comfort setting, to help alleviate the possibility of motion sickness. For some people, the more they see the environment moving around them while they remain stationary, the more it affects their inner ear and they get conflicting signals. The eyes are telling you "You're moving," but the body is telling you, "You're not," and that conflict of input is what creates nausea in some people.

It's one of the reasons why some people get motion sick while reading in cars or buses. It's the opposite effect there where the eyes say you're stationary, but your body is sensing motion. So the way to defeat that mechanism is to hold up your book at a normal angle and eye level, so your peripheral vision registers the motion outside and conforms to your body's belief that you're moving.

So by minimizing just how much motion your eyes see, the narrow vision in VR is an attempt to help some people get over feeling sick. But different people have different sensitivities, and you can get used to it. Many people here at the start of this thread had motion sickness issues, but many of us can now play VR games with all comfort settings disabled.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A88MC9K/

I bought this one, its been a game changer for my tracking. I can play a sitting or standing game and easily change the height. I can also easily adjust the angle because of a dyi mounting to it.

I unscrewed and removed the whole clip at the top and put the thread through the slot of the new stand that comes with the new camera and screwed the plastic bolt over the threads keeping it locked in, now I can move the stand up and down but also angle it up or down easily.

Now if only I could find a camera extension cable for a reasonable price shipped to the Yukon.

seems a bit much but yeah, might be good. I might use my monopod *it has feet but yeah the camera extension cable. It doesn't just use a USB cable does it?

Bebpo

Banned
What is the reason for the field of view in some games narrowing to a small circle? Both eagle flight and the Star Wars VR game do this and it's infuriating. It completely makes all immersion go away.

It happens in Star Wars when you take sharp corners.

Yeah, Eagle Flight having a smaller FoV sucks. I think they did it to feel "more like an eagle" but it was a dumb decision.

I was hoping to hear some more impressions of I Expect You to Die! I am definitely interested, but considering it is $25 I was just wondering what people think.

I really liked Job Simulator, but when I was done I felt like the price was a little steep considering that I felt no urge to go back to it at all.

Does I Expect You to Die have any replayability? How are you feeling about the content, and playtime vs price? Etc...

I am the type who likes to avoid exposing myself to too much media of any kind before I go into a game so I really count on user impressions.

Thanks for any thoughts!

I was hoping to hear some more impressions of I Expect You to Die! I am definitely interested, but considering it is $25 I was just wondering what people think.

I really liked Job Simulator, but when I was done I felt like the price was a little steep considering that I felt no urge to go back to it at all.

Does I Expect You to Die have any replayability? How are you feeling about the content, and playtime vs price? Etc...

I am the type who likes to avoid exposing myself to too much media of any kind before I go into a game so I really count on user impressions.

Thanks for any thoughts!

You should read more of this thread than just the last page.

*Splinter

Y'know, this is a really shitty response to a reasonable question?

Thanks for any thoughts!
I haven't played it myself but GAF impressions have been positive. In fact, I don't remember any complaints about the game.

Someone else will have to chime in about playtime/replayability specifically though.

I am on GAF everyday, and I have literally read every post in this thread. I just thought there would be more discussion considering there were a lot of people waiting for this game. I also asked some specific questions that I was hoping more people would weigh in on.

Thanks though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am on GAF everyday, and I have literally read every post in this thread. I just thought there would be more discussion considering there were a lot of people waiting for this game. I also asked some specific questions that I was hoping more people would weigh in on.

Thanks though.

Dont worry, it was a reasonable question.
In fact I'd also like to know if someone has more input on replayability and length, as I am still a bit on the fence as well.

In fact I'd also like to know if someone has more input on replayability and length, as I am still a bit on the fence as well.

Thanks. If I end up getting the game I will come back and post my thoughts here for anyone interested.

ChouGoku

So I got another motion controller today, also got Batman and Until Dawn. Its kind of a mixed feeling. Motion controls definitely make VR better, its more immersive and seeing your character match your moves is cool. Both Batman and Until dawn are very fun. Being Batman was very cool, batarangs are fun, and scanning the bodies is very cool to look at. Until Dawn is harder than I thought it would be but still fun and makes me hope for a Time Crisis/Virtua Cop/House of the Dead Vr. However the lack of analog sticks makes me think they will be for the more gimmicky games. I hope they make a new one with analog sticks so I can get a game like RE7 with motion controls

Kyolux

Thanks for any thoughts!

Thanks. If I end up getting the game I will come back and post my thoughts here for anyone interested.

Finished it last night. There's only 4 levels. It's pretty short if you don't get stuck too much. Like under an hour short.

Replayability is there if you want to go back and do the challenges (and trophies I guess) or try new ways to solve the puzzles.

If you're on the fence, I'd say wait for a sale. Unless you really want to play it now. It is fun while it last.

dyergram

I had a bloody nightmare getting some move controllers managed to get some from eBay in the end hopefully the batteries are ok why the hell didn't I buy these months ago when they were cheap??

antibolo

Banned
Has anyone tried Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes on PSVR?

I like the concept and may get it so I can play with the family during the holidays.

Glix

I like the concept and may get it so I can play with the family during the holidays.

I have not, but I have played Spaceteam on my phone which sounds very similar.

Spaceteam is incredibly fun, so I would have high hopes for nobody explodes if you have a good group to play with.

Rubik8

Love this game. It's one of the best local multiplayer options available and not too threatening to inexperienced gamers. Perfect for a family gathering.

CRAZY! I do the samething lol. Thought I was the only one.
(Re closing your eyes during loading)

I do it too, I'm sure it's common. It makes the dark something you chose, rather than something you're confronted with. I wish there were audio cues when games finished loading though! I mean often there are, music starts or something, but you can't rely on it in a new game, and I prefer not to miss things that happen visually.

Phaenos

Of all the local social experience games available, this is by far at the top of the list for fun. I've had multiple gatherings of family and friends (many whom never play games, period) and we've all had a blast playing this.

I could see the experience being frustrating for a group with no patience or don't communicate well though.

ElNino

Love this game. It's one of the best local multiplayer options available and not too threatening to inexperienced gamers. Perfect for a family gathering.
Of all the local social experience games available, this is by far at the top of the list for fun. I've had multiple gatherings of family and friends (many whom never play games, period) and we've all had a blast playing this.

I could see the experience being frustrating for a group with no patience or don't communicate well though.
Yep, I've had fun playing it with my wife and son. My wife doesn't want to try the headset itself, but she likes participating on the social screen.

pagrab

I did not have problems with the breakout box on the regular PS4 but since I switched to the Pro it stopped switching off in the rest mode. I realized that it has something with the internet connection because the problem vanishes once I switch the "internet during rest mode" in the power saving options off. Still it hardly is a good solution, thanks to horrible PSN speeds. I don’t want to be forced to download games/patches only while the console is on.

Did anyone found a better solution to this problem?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
(Re closing your eyes during loading)

I do it too, I'm sure it's common. It makes the dark something you chose, rather than something you're confronted with. I wish there were audio cues when games finished loading though! I mean often there are, music starts or something, but you can't rely on it in a new game, and I prefer not to miss things that happen visually.

The light from the game sorta hints me to the game starting when I have my eyes closed. With them closed I can tell the difference when it's pitch black loading and when the game actually starts.

Cleve

So I got another motion controller today, also got Batman and Until Dawn. Its kind of a mixed feeling. Motion controls definitely make VR better, its more immersive and seeing your character match your moves is cool. Both Batman and Until dawn are very fun. Being Batman was very cool, batarangs are fun, and scanning the bodies is very cool to look at. Until Dawn is harder than I thought it would be but still fun and makes me hope for a Time Crisis/Virtua Cop/House of the Dead Vr. However the lack of analog sticks makes me think they will be for the more gimmicky games. I hope they make a new one with analog sticks so I can get a game like RE7 with motion controls

Until Dawn was great, it definitely made me want more rail/light gun shooters. I'd love a time crisis where I actually had to lean to get behind cover.

The new aim controller coming out with farpoint may give us some new opportunities as it has an analog on it too, but I don't know how many developers will design around an add-on for an add-on.

I'm not sure "lucky" is the right word after seeing that video. Just give me a "build and ride" Rollercoaster VR game with decent visuals that puts me in the experience.

In a perfect world, we'd get a PS4 component of No Limits 2, where you can only ride other peoples creations. You would still need the PC version to design and ride them. Think of it as a viewing app, where you can enjoy what others have made. I would love that, especially as my PS4 is probably better suited to run NL2 than my PC is.

Found a base PSVR with 2 Move Controllers, Camera, Batman Arkham VR and Eve: Valkyrie on Craigslist

$550.

I'm pretty sure it's legit, but I'm going to test it before. I'm also pretty sure the dude and I have some mutual friends, so that helps.

Sounds like a solid deal?

FireCloud

Found a base PSVR with 2 Move Controllers, Camera, Batman Arkham VR and Eve: Valkyrie on Craigslist

$550.

I'm pretty sure it's legit, but I'm going to test it before. I'm also pretty sure the dude and I have some mutual friends, so that helps.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal if it is in good shape. About what you would have paid day 1 for all that.

I just close my eyes whenever there's loading in VR. And then when it's done and I open them I am magically in a new environment!

I do this as well, but it's more about resting my eyes and controlled breathing before I go all out in RIGS. I so focused in RIGS that I hardly ever blink.

People seem to be having trouble finding Move controllers so I would say yes yes yes!

Really? In preparation for my PSVR I bought the camera (I'll return it) at target. I get an employee discount through my mom and they price matched Toys R Us $45 price. TRU had $75 for the move controllers but since they were out of stock Target wouldn't match it so I passed it up. I probably shouldn't have!

But now if this deal goes through I suppose it doesn't matter :)

Grinchy

Banned

$550.

He could get like $850 for that on ebay, so yes, it's a good deal.

Joystick

Fantastic Contraption coming to PSVR Q1-Q2 2017

Fantastic Contraption is a virtual reality puzzle/building game which transports you to an island floating in the sky, where animals lounge on the moon and the sky whales sing. There, you must construct various weird and fantastic contraptions to trundle, climb, or throw your way to victory through 50 mind-boggling levels.

Looks like it requires 2 x Move controllers.

https://youtu.be/YCnnJXMi8KE

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...uzzler-fantastic-contraption-out-spring-2017/

Rez? How dare you make that comparison.

I just saw this and Fat City on the store. Two bottom of the barrel VR games from the videos I watched. And that Rollercoaster game will join them in that barrel next week.
I Expect You to Die is keeping my VR love breathing but it's on life support!!

Just noticed a white pixel in the right eye.
It only appears in light yellow grayish colors like when I fly upwards in Eagle Flight. Still annoying as hell though.

Anyone know if Sony's difficult on pixel issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom