• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
where do you get that this is a potential PSVR release?

I had to edit/find the quote.

Going forward, Climax plans to add more maps, modes, and weapons to the game, with a full release aiming for around mid-2017. Earwaker expectedly tells me that the team would like to bring the game to PS VR, though it’s focused on the PC version for now.

Is this what we are doing now? Posting about Vive and Oculus games that aren't at all confirmed for PSVR. I mean the game isn't even out officially on those, who cares about this..

where do you get that this is a potential PSVR release?

This is in the article

Going forward, Climax plans to add more maps, modes, and weapons to the game, with a full release aiming for around mid-2017. Earwaker expectedly tells me that the team would like to bring the game to PS VR, though it’s focused on the PC version for now.

Lol beaten!

Is this what we are doing now? Posting about Vive and Oculus games that aren't at all confirmed for PSVR. I mean the game isn't even out officially on those, who cares about this..

Sorry, I thought it looked interesting, it was a very positive preview and there's no technical reason why it couldn't be a PSVR game. It's not like Budget Cuts or something beyond the realms of posibility...

It's pretty damn awesome, certainly a game you can sink time in to.

Understood. Might pull the trigger. I really like the look of it. Just not sure if I want to wait an undetermined amount of time to play it on the Vive/Rift instead.

Also, I really wish I could use my nice headphones with the PSVR. Being relegated to earbuds really is frustrating for me.

Understood. Might pull the trigger. I really like the look of it. Just not sure if I want to wait an undetermined amount of time to play it on the Vive/Rift instead.

Also, I really wish I could use my nice headphones with the PSVR. Being relegated to earbuds really is frustrating for me.

I was in a similar situation and from what I had seen felt the RRP was a little high. I managed to grab it for £25 on eBay but after playing I realised that I would have happily paid the price for the game. One of the more 'complete' games for me.

Also it got a Pro patch too if you have the machine.

I was in a similar situation and from what I had seen felt the RRP was a little high. I managed to grab it for £25 on eBay but after playing I realised that I would have happily paid the price for the game. One of the more 'complete' games for me.

Also it got a Pro patch too if you have the machine.

I do have a Pro. Makes the decision even harder. $40 is around the most I've spent for any VR game ever and I have a boat load of them. Just sort of makes me feel more shy about it.

I'll probably play the demo a few more times then decide. I really did like what I saw in the demo.

joeblow

Sorry, I thought it looked interesting, it was a very positive preview and there's no technical reason why it couldn't be a PSVR game. It's not like Budget Cuts or something beyond the realms of posibility...
Don't listen to him. I appreciated your post as the game looks extremely interesting.

Since the developer himself mentioned the possibility of a PSVR release, it was worth the mention you provided. Thanks again.

dickroach

I went on Amazon to order some groceries, and then... well....
oops

fuhmetL.jpg

edit: $800 you say?
dude.

I went on Amazon to order some groceries, and then... well....
oops

fuhmetL.jpg

edit: $800 you say?
dude.

Prime now is awesome for hard to find stuff, just got a hatchimal on there 2 days ago, had it delivered in 2 hours, and it's like the hottest toy this year....Simple, fast, below retail price, boom...

hollomat

Banned
Just got PS VR today. Anyone have any tips for adjusting the headset to make it fit better? I can still kind of see out the bottom. I wish I could pull the scope in further. I've turned the knob and pushed the button on the scope and headset to get it as tight as possible but want to get it just a little bit tighter.

joeblow

^^^ Have the back of the headset sit higher on the back of your head, then twist the dial to make it tighter. No light seeps in when I do that.

majik13

Whats the issue here? He clearly said "potential PSVR". People are interested in knowing what VR software we could maybe expect down the line.

hollomat

Banned
^^^ Have the back of the headset sit higher on the back of your head, then twist the dial to make it tighter. No light seeps in when I do that.

Thanks, this helped a lot. I was following the initial set up advice which said to have it sit lower on the back of my head.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One of my damn Move controllers is refusing to charge.

And I just bought some more games. :/

Glix

One of my damn Move controllers is refusing to charge.

And I just bought some more games. :/

One of mine has a small gyro issue.

You can only really tell when playing Holoball, but there is a blue streak/dot/think in the middle of the racket because it is always slightly "moving"

If I shake the controller hard it goes away for five to ten seconds but then comes back.

I went to the store and figured i'd just get two brand new ones, but the pack is like 100 bucks???

Are you fucking kidding me? I got mine the day all the VR info was revealed used at gamestop for like 13 bucks each, I'm not gonna pay 100!!!

Tik-Tok

One of mine has a small gyro issue.

You can only really tell when playing Holoball, but there is a blue streak/dot/think in the middle of the racket because it is always slightly "moving"

If I shake the controller hard it goes away for five to ten seconds but then comes back.

I went to the store and figured i'd just get two brand new ones, but the pack is like 100 bucks???

Are you fucking kidding me? I got mine the day all the VR info was revealed used at gamestop for like 13 bucks each, I'm not gonna pay 100!!!

I had this exact issue in holoball. Makes me wonder if it actually IS the controller.

While I still love my PSVR I have to say I'm ready for the next version. Feel like the more I play, the field of view is actually getting smaller. Don't know how to explain it. Just feel like the scuba mask is more apparent than when I first played it in October.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
While I still love my PSVR I have to say I'm ready for the next version. Feel like the more I play, the field of view is actually getting smaller. Don't know how to explain it. Just feel like the scuba mask is more apparent than when I first played it in October.

Yea I kind of get what you are saying and agree. Also the handshake issues and jitter with move and drift is just...this thing needs a Pro upgrade soon.

Grinchy

Banned
$800 is what the bundle goes for at retail here. Not sure what stock is like now, but I was able to find one without too much trouble.

It's $500 here, so it's a pretty decent mark up for those selling theirs during the christmas rush. I'm seeing a lot of $850ish now as well.

I wonder how much worse it'll get as some parents scramble to get these for their kids.

Bebpo

Banned
Random thoughts on VR: Loading is worse in VR than normal games because there's nothing worse than just staring at a black nothing screen pressed against your face for more than a few seconds. The best part of Eagle Flight is how there's almost no loading and everything transitions to each other so you're not taken out of it.

All the VR models are too soon imo. VR isn't consumer ready yet imo. PS VR feels like my Oculus DK2 which was neat as a tech thing, but wasn't consumer ready. Even playing Vive at my friends it's a little better but still generally the same.

I'd be surprised if PS VR upgrades this gen though. I picked up on primarily because I think there won't be an upgrade PS VR anytime soon, whereas with Vive/Oculus I can see a new one every year or two for a while so I'll wait and pick up v3.0 of Vive or something.

antibolo

Banned
Random thoughts on VR: Loading is worse in VR than normal games because there's nothing worse than just staring at a black nothing screen pressed against your face for more than a few seconds. The best part of Eagle Flight is how there's almost no loading and everything transitions to each other so you're not taken out of it.

I just close my eyes whenever there's loading in VR. And then when it's done and I open them I am magically in a new environment!

joeblow

Those of you wanting improved loading in VR games may want to consider getting a SSD as it is a nice improvement over stock drives (get one on sale, though).

I swapped in my 1TB SSD I had in a launch PS4 into my Pro model when it came out and the performance is definitely a nice upgrade.

Shoeless

Those of you wanting improved loading in VR games may want to consider getting a SSD as it is a nice improvement over stock drives (get one on sale, though).

I swapped in my 1TB SSD I had in a launch PS4 into my Pro model when it came out and the performance is definitely a nice upgrade.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Definitely nice in general for speeding things up a little, even for traditional games like FFXV, but the Pro/SSD combo for VR is pretty convenient.

I am tempted to pick this up, especially for RE7. I was just looking around and it seems I need the camera, but I have to buy one seperately which is like another $80+. WTF?

You would think they would include one with the headset if they were a requirement.

Dunk#7

I am tempted to pick this up, especially for RE7. I was just looking around and it seems I need the camera, but I have to buy one seperately which is like another $80+. WTF?

You would think they would include one with the headset if they were a requirement.

They do if you don't by the core pack that assumes you already have one. The camera and move controllers have been around awhile and I already owned them. Glad Sony provided two packages so I wasn't forced to get an extra camera and move controllers.

I feel you on that FOV. I got used to it. The GEAR VR has a better FOV so it was tough getting used to. That said, I can totally live with it, but i want an improved controller. with analog.

antibolo

Banned

The bundle has a camera.

The standalone package doesn't have one because it would screw over people own already own the camera.

antibolo

Banned
Many people here have mentioned using a tripod for the camera so I was wondering: I already own a photography tripod, what would be the best way to fix the camera to it? Any way to screw it in?

(I own the original model btw)

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Many people here have mentioned using a tripod for the camera so I was wondering: I already own a photography tripod, what would be the best way to fix the camera to it? Any way to screw it in?

Something like this could possibly work. I've never tried 3D printing myself, but am seriously thinking about it.

dickroach

Congrats! Come back and tell us how your mind gets blown.

I've never felt legit scared during any horror game, but damn.... I just played 15 minutes of the RE7 demo, and it definitely changes things. I felt like I was talking around that fucked up house.
played a few games of Rocket League in theater mode.
gonna play Rez this weekend.

it's a bit more pixel-y blurrier than ithought it would be. and my giant head has me having to tighten the headset almost to the point of uncomfortability. but whatever. it's cool
[edit: got a slim, not a pro btw]

Load screens in VR are awful. At least give us a 3d model or even 2d art to look at while we wait! I try to make the best of it and focus on the moment/my breathing (like meditating) but it's a poor substitute for not being stuck in what feels like a virtual prison.

btrboyev

What is the reason for the field of view in some games narrowing to a small circle? Both eagle flight and the Star Wars VR game do this and it's infuriating. It completely makes all immersion go away.

It happens in Star Wars when you take sharp corners.

jrcbandit

What is the reason for the field of view in some games narrowing to a small circle? Both eagle flight and the Star Wars VR game do this and it's infuriating. It completely makes all immersion go away.

Star wars you can turn that off and should. It's some lame comfort setting, something about high gravity turns or such.

Unfortunately, no option still in Eagles Flight to turn it off...

majik13

It's weird I definitely noticed this in Rigs, and Eagle Flight, but never noticed it in Star Wars. Even though when some one said it was a thing, I went into the options and turned it off anyways.

As for its use, its there because basically, fast moving imagery in the periphery of your vision are what cause the most eye strain, especially when that movement is caused by rotational controller input as opposed to just your normal head movement.

I played Deadhalls on Gear, and it was super painful when youd turn with a controller in a tight space with walls close to your character. In RE7 its not such a big deal since most of the periphery is already dark, since most of the illumination comes from your flashlight. Its a perfect fit for VR in that regard.

I hear ya, it completely ruined Eagle Flight for me.

Phaenos

This depends largely on the type of tripod you have, but what I've done is mount the camera stand to the top of the tripod using zip ties. I strap the lower end of the PS camera stand so that the top can still be pivoted up and down freely. The ties are cheap and easily disposable, so I can remove the camera to transport the entire setup easily over long distances (I flew my PSVR to a friend's house 2500 miles away last month for a weekend gaming session) and set it up again super easily.

Some tripods have the ability to pivot on all axis regardless of how the camera is mounted but this isn't the case with mine. The ability to raise and lower the camera using the tripod and independently adjust the angle of the camera based on its height has been the key to keeping my tracking rock solid.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A88MC9K/

I bought this one, its been a game changer for my tracking. I can play a sitting or standing game and easily change the height. I can also easily adjust the angle because of a dyi mounting to it.

I unscrewed and removed the whole clip at the top and put the thread through the slot of the new stand that comes with the new camera and screwed the plastic bolt over the threads keeping it locked in, now I can move the stand up and down but also angle it up or down easily.

Now if only I could find a camera extension cable for a reasonable price shipped to the Yukon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom