• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHand

Just noticed a white pixel in the right eye.
It only appears in light yellow grayish colors like when I fly upwards in Eagle Flight. Still annoying as hell though.

Anyone know if Sony's difficult on pixel issues?

The PSVR user manual says that individual stuck pixels and dead pixels are normal, so probably.

Maligna

Banned
I just bought this last night and kind of dig it, but yea its not looking pretty for VR past RE7.

star-trek-bridge-crew-e3-2016-gameplay.png

STAR TREK!

Stillmatic

Regarding 3D audio, have any tests been done with regular games and headphones plugged in to the PSVR audio input but still gaming on your TV?

I don't have the technical ability to do audio testing, but I was curious last night and tried The Last Guardian and also Titanfall 2 (might try Battlefield tonight).

I have Astro A30's + Mixamp.

I tried 3 things:
- Plugging my headset into the controller (worst quality by far)
- Plugging my headset into the mixamp
- Plugging my headset into the PSVR audio jack, and turning the PSVR unit on

Using PSVR was a lot more accurate in pin pointing where the sounds are coming from. Using the mixamp the audio quality is good, but compared to PSVR the area the sounds are coming from seem to blend too much with other directions.

I know those games aren't using 3D audio, but it seems the surround sound works a lot better plugged into PSVR.

Joystick

Rez? How dare you make that comparison.

LOL. I knew the comparison might irk some fans!

I Expect You to Die is keeping my VR love breathing but it's on life support!!

What have you enjoyed the most so far? What would be your top 3?

As for upcoming titles it's looking a bit mixed but it has been a pleasant surprise seeing some that were not even previously announced suddenly appear for imminent release so we could see some surprises. I'd love to see Naughty Dog put out something for PS VR. I'm still waiting for Dreams...

I just saw this and Fat City on the store. Two bottom of the barrel VR games from the videos I watched. And that Rollercoaster game will join them in that barrel next week.

I just bought this last night and kind of dig it, but yea its not looking pretty for VR past RE7.

star-trek-bridge-crew-e3-2016-gameplay.png

STAR TREK!

LOL. I knew the comparison might irk some fans!

What have you enjoyed the most so far? What would be your top 3?

As for upcoming titles it's looking a bit mixed but it has been a pleasant surprise seeing some that were not even previously announced suddenly appear for imminent release so we could see some surprises. I'd love to see Naughty Dog put out something for PS VR. I'm still waiting for Dreams...

So many great games are on the way. Try the backlog. There are so many solid options. I bought this thing for Star Trek, but i had no idea that I would love RE7 as much as I did. January can't get here soon enough.

androvsky

Surprised no one's mentioned it here, but Battlezone is getting a free update and DLC next week:
http://www.psnation.com/2016/12/15/battlezone-adding-free-content-on-december-20th/

Classic Mode now available
Field Manual now available
– Both Classic Mode and Field Manual available via Extras Menu

Updated campaign content
– New maps, missions and events
– Health crystals in single-player as additional means of restoring health
– Hints will display upon death
– HUD colour options added to Settings Menu

Bug fixes and optimizations
– Fixed a bug where hoppers sometimes got stuck in level geometry
– Reduced projectile-based lag when not hosting in online co-op
– Various performance optimizations

Added purchasable tank customization options
– New skins, bobbleheads and horns now available to purchase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr1xhpBc5Ok

I'd be tempted to make a thread, but the info is hours old, so surely there's already one and I can't find it?

I swear i really wonder about people when they spout off bs.. Nothing for vr after re7, really? Wow did you u just not do any research.... Vr on life support? The device is 2 months old.. You realize there isn't a magic box devs just go grab games out of... Games take time to make... Calm down...

Plasma

Banned
You've also got to remember that the Vive and Oculus have been out longer than the PSVR and there are plenty of games in development that will probably make it over. I'm really not that worried there have been new games coming out weekly, even if they are small experiences that doesn't bother me all that much.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my new VR headset.

And wow.

I didn't really understand the hype and the hyperbole, but then I tried the X Wing demo.

I was actually in an X Wing. Like, in the cockpit. And when I looked down, I was in the orange pilot suit. And the suit ruffled about as I moved about. And it was in actual 3D. And space was all around me on all four sides. And when I turned my head around, I saw an R2 unit. And when I arsed around with the various buttons, they worked, and I randomly brought up that tracking system from Star Wars IV.

Amazing.

Neifirst

I hope Sony plans on restocking PSVR sometime soon. I've got a physical copy of Rez Infinite waiting to be played and RE7 is only 5 weeks away.

Impulsor

So a couple of questions before buying.

1. Are there any know defects with these? Such as dead pixels or bad screens or something?

2. What are the absolutely must try experiences? I was thinking of starting with eagle flight and star wars VR.

Anything else I should keep my eye out for right now? I will be getting RE7 and Ace Combat

Finished it last night. There's only 4 levels. It's pretty short if you don't get stuck too much. Like under an hour short.

Replayability is there if you want to go back and do the challenges (and trophies I guess) or try new ways to solve the puzzles.

If you're on the fence, I'd say wait for a sale. Unless you really want to play it now. It is fun while it last.

Hey thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know. I think I will wait for a sale price.

*Splinter

1. Are there any know defects with these? Such as dead pixels or bad screens or something?

2. What are the absolutely must try experiences? I was thinking of starting with eagle flight and star wars VR.

Anything else I should keep my eye out for right now? I will be getting RE7 and Ace Combat
2. Rigs, unless you absolutely hate multiplayer games. Most games are fun in VR, but this is a game I'd still be playing even if it weren't in VR. It's the closest we have to a full "AAA" releasr (actually more comparable to Rocket League than anything).

Apart from that, Eagle Flight is fun as long as you don't mind Ubisoft games. Werewolves Within is a well received social game. Battlezone is ok if you prefer co op to PvP. Playroom is free and well worth a download.

2. Rigs, unless you absolutely hate multiplayer games. Most games are fun in VR, but this is a game I'd still be playing even if it weren't in VR. It's the closest we have to a full "AAA" releasr (actually more comparable to Rocket League than anything).

Battlezone and DRIVECLUB are pretty solid full AAA games.

*Splinter

Battlezone and DRIVECLUB are pretty solid full AAA games.
I actually forgot Driveclub, I just added Battlezone though.

I like Battlezone, but you'd never be calling it AAA if it were a non-VR release.

There's a few games you'll know if you should get based on genre.

Driving: Driveclub, Trackmania
Rhythm: Thumper
On rails shooter: Until Dawn

Also should recommend VR Worlds as a good introduction to VR.

Edit: actually I think I'm selling Until Dawn short a bit. It is an on rails shooter, but they work better in VR (with move) and it's a legitimately good game.

Impulsor

Does RIGS have any single player content?

Apart from that, Eagle Flight is fun as long as you don't mind Ubisoft games. Werewolves Within is a well received social game. Battlezone is ok if you prefer co op to PvP. Playroom is free and well worth a download.
What do you mean as long as I don't mind Ubisoft games?

I actually forgot Driveclub, I just added Battlezone though.

I like Battlezone, but you'd never be calling it AAA if it were a non-VR release.

There's a few games you'll know if you should get based on genre.

Driving: Driveclub, Trackmania
Rhythm: Thumper
On rails shooter: Until Dawn

Also should recommend VR Worlds as a good introduction to VR.

Edit: actually I think I'm selling Until Dawn short a bit. It is an on rails shooter, but they work better in VR (with move) and it's a legitimately good game.

Yeah I guess so, I really do like it though. Also agree with other suggestions I don't have trackmania, but ROB and Thumper are great games.

Rigs has offline 3 v 3 battles v CPU in terms of league and also knockout cups plus some challenges.

*Splinter

The offline is basically the same as online but with bots. It's presented as a sports game so think fifa or whatever. (It's not a sports game, I just mean the presentation/structure.)

By "Ubisoft" I mean repetitive mission types and open world collectibles. I don't say that as a criticism (personally I really liked the game) but if you know you don't like that stuff its worth considering.

Impulsor

The offline is basically the same as online but with bots. It's presented as a sports game so think fifa or whatever. (It's not a sports game, I just mean the presentation/structure.)

By "Ubisoft" I mean repetitive mission types and open world collectibles. I don't say that as a criticism (personally I really liked the game) but if you know you don't like that stuff its worth considering.

Oh, ok. In that case I'm compeltely fine with it, I love checklist open world games.

Well folks, I met the guy from Craigslist and he was most certainly legit.

For $550 I got
  • PSVR Headset
  • Two Move Controllers
  • Camera
  • Arkham VR
  • Eve: Valkytrie

So far I've only played Rez, Job Simulator and RE7 Demo

Rez is amazing. I love how the controller pulsates with the beat and what the transitions between (areas? sections? I forget what they are called...) look like. I couldn't tell if my eyes were watering because they were getting used to VR or because it was so beautiful. I have a little bit of a tough time following how I'm doing, if I'm close to dying, etc. but I think that's me just being new to the series.

For RE7, I'll just say that personally I WILL NOT be playing through the whole game in VR to begin with. It's honestly too scary for me - definitely better for a second run through when you know what to expect. So immersive and beautiful, but so scary (and the 3D audio is amazing). The graphics were a little low res far away, but the kind of detail you got when up close is a worthy trade-off. Slowly moving my gaze to watch light reflect off the design of the picture frame on the staircase was really cool. Side note - I actually much prefer the smooth turning over the 30 degree increments.

Job Simulator is definitely my favorite so far. It's so endearing and sharp. Working in a office setting IRL, the office simulation was excellent. Although the graphics are meant to be simple, in terms of creating a sense of space this game is the best I've played. I tried to put the move controller down on my (nonexistent) desk and my roommate almost fell because he tried to lean against the restaurant counter.

I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all of the discussions that influenced me to make this purchase!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I just saw this and Fat City on the store. Two bottom of the barrel VR games from the videos I watched. And that Rollercoaster game will join them in that barrel next week.

LOL @ life support.

LOL @ life support.

I'd love to see a new poll now that figures out how many people still think VR is "just a stupid gimmick/fad" after people have actually had a chance to try it out now thanks to PSVR. Alot of people will just never let go of their desire for VR to fail so you see the most ridiculous reasons people can come up with for any chance to prove they were right for hating it.

I had a weird PSVR experience last night. I had downloaded the Tethered demo so I started it up and put the HMD on. Nothing happened, the game never got past the 2D loading screen. I thought that was odd but maybe it was just an issue with the demo. Then I tried to play thumper. Same thing, the game never got past the load screen. I tried one last game (CoD Jackal Assault), same thing. It was as though my PSVR was stuck in cinema mode but I wasn't getting any error messages or anything.

LOL @ life support.

Yup. You probably didnt read that correctly, i know how sensitive people are about their 500 dollar glasses failing and suceeding.. MY love for VR is on life support, not VR. Its a personal opinion about all the garbage games that have come out in the last 4 weeks.

Peltz

I'd love to see a new poll now that figures out how many people still think VR is "just a stupid gimmick/fad" after people have actually had a chance to try it out now thanks to PSVR. Alot of people will just never let go of their desire for VR to fail so you see the most ridiculous reasons people can come up with for any chance to prove they were right for hating it.

I don't think it's a gimmick or fad. But PSVR's library still just isn't very good in my opinion. I want to use my headset, but I'm struggling to find content that I enjoy.

So far, Playroom VR has a few fleeting moments of fun. Thumper is a cool, yet limited experience. And REZ is a fun VR experiment that I will not be going back to because I've already been playing REZ for over a decade and the VR controls just make it braindead-easy.

I found RIGS to be very uncomfortable to play as well.

I need a genuine platformer or something I can sink my teeth into that is on par with the level in Playroom VR. Although I don't worry VR as a whole, I do worry that PSVR (specifically) is a fad.

Tonight, I'll try Bound and Tethered in another attempt to get some more time with my headset.

Again...cant be talking about me here. Ill take the Pepsi Challenge in this thread and see who has spent the most money on PSVR games. Top 3 for sure. So you got the wrong guy if you think im rooting for failure..but the games coming out now versus the first two weeks after launch is a joke. You get 1 all timer (I Expect You to Die) for every 10 pieces of shit.

Peltz

Again...cant be talking about me here. Ill take the Pepsi Challenge in this thread and see who has spent the most money on PSVR games. Top 3 for sure. So you got the wrong guy if you think im rooting for failure..but the games coming out now versus the first two weeks after launch is a joke. You get 1 all timer (I Expect You to Die) for every 10 pieces of shit.

To be fair, that's not exclusive to VR platforms.

I'll add I Expect you to Die to my list.

androvsky

I don't think it's a gimmick or fad. But PSVR's library still just isn't very good in my opinion. I want to use my headset, but I'm struggling to find content that I enjoy.

So far, Playroom VR has a few fleeting moments of fun. Thumper is a cool, yet limited experience. And REZ is a fun VR experiment that I will not be going back to because I've already been playing REZ for over a decade and the VR controls just make it braindead-easy.

I need a genuine platformer or something I can sink my teeth into that is on par with the level in Playroom VR. Although I don't worry VR as a whole, I do worry that PSVR (specifically) is a fad.

Tonight, I'll try Bound and Tethered in another attempt to get some more time with my headset.
Try the Headmaster demo at least. The full game has a lot more variety, but even the demo should give you an idea of what you're in for.

To be fair, that's not exclusive to VR platforms.

I'll add I Expect you to Die to my list.

I dont even care about exclusives, just good VR.

Heres my hot take..because VR is an unknown quantity i think they should not sell any games on the PSN unless they are good. Releasing shit like Fat City, Hyper Void, Martian VR damages opinion. They set a really high bar right at launch...almost every game was worth the asking price. Now they got people (like me) paying 10 bucks to sit on a virtual beach..meanwhile something like Allumette was free and jaw dropping,

lt519

Personally I tell everyone who asks me if the PSVR is worth it, "no." I'll elaborate on game prices, experiences, no real killer app, etc. But really, unless you have the money to burn it isn't worth it. It's a great platform, game changing even, but for $500 before even having games, it's not worth it in its infancy. I pull it out once every couple weeks and that is about it. There's almost nothing in the software library that compells me to come back.

You shouldnt be struggling because there at least 15 games worth owning..they just happened to come out a few months ago.

antibolo

Banned
Tried a few things yesterday:

Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission: Amazing. They NEED to make a full game out of this. But if they do they need to make the TIE Fighters a bit less trivial to mow down lol

Tethered demo: Feels like a higher budget O My Genesis but with a much less interesting control scheme. Aiming a cursor via sight sucks. I'll stick with OMG.

I Expect You To Die: Very nice! The polish on this game is impeccable, love the animated opening credits sequence. I finished the first mission, I know this game is short so I don't want to rush through it in one sitting.

Shoeless

I Expect You To Die: Very nice! The polish on this game is impeccable, love the animated opening credits sequence. I finished the first mission, I know this game is short so I don't want to rush through it in one sitting.

When you get to the end of game, it doesn't end on any sort of cliff-hanger, but it does still have a "to be continued..." title card tacked on at the end. I'm curious as to whether that means the game will have additional DLC missions that can be added onto the base game, or whether they're just going to put out an entirely new, separate game.

Kyolux

When you get to the end of game, it doesn't end on any sort of cliff-hanger, but it does still have a "to be continued..." title card tacked on at the end. I'm curious as to whether that means the game will have additional DLC missions that can be added onto the base game, or whether they're just going to put out an entirely new, separate game.

Didn't notice this. Good to know. I would love more missions.

Shoeless

Didn't notice this. Good to know. I would love more missions.

Yeah, I hear you. I really enjoyed my time with the game, but I was surprised that there were only four missions included. At CAD$27, that's a little bit steep, but I can't fault the actual quality of the game, I had a great time with it. The humor is bang on, and the solutions to the puzzles are a lot of fun. My wife and I were cracking up throughout the entire game, even though I was the one with the headset.

The social screen for PSVR is real lifesaver for these types of games. Even though she wasn't "in" the game, she was still helping me a lot with the puzzles thanks to that social screen. It's a really great idea for playing with others.

Kurdel

Banned
I loved I Expect You to Die, best opening credits I've seen in a while. Barely progressed in the first level, but loving the polish and tone.

Symbiotx

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - easily my favorite game so far.

Hale-XF11

Really wish I had bought Wayward Sky instead of Batman. Batman made me almost throw up and I haven't used my headset in nearly a week since playing it and I didn't really even enjoy it that much to begin with. Bleh.

Also, I hope devs don't get the idea that we're all willing to spend $10-20 for every new VR demo add-on (looking at you, Battlefront). I'm not participating in that practice. Just release your demo separately at a reasonable price or free...or I'll ignore it and move on.

Has anyone else tried the pixel gear multilayer mode? I played it with both the missus and the brother in law and both were addicted despite not being big gamers. In 2 player it feels a bit easy for the non vr player to win once you know what you're doing but still great to see new life injected into this very cheap game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom