• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
I was trying to watch some Netflix with the psvr yesterday and it's really great with the middle screen size actually. Still feels impressive and not like a tv.

Sony is missing an opportunity here. I'm pretty sure if they put some work into all that, it could be a killer home theater experience they could actually market.

It needs 3D of course, and to do something smarter with sounds.. Right now it's using the 3D sound to put it where the screen is.. But hey Sony maybe you could then use it to put different virtual speakers in the room.. just saying..

Also the drifting is an issue there. After 10 minutes i have to rebbot the screen position cause i'm looking 30° on my left..

Jimmy_liv

I ran into a serious hardware problem, I think it was discussed at launch but since it didn't concern me I didn't pay close attention. Maybe PS VR GAF can help:
PS VR runs fine on my Destiny special edition PS 4 where I had used it since launch, absolutely flawless. Now I wanted to lend the headset to my niece because she is hooked on some games and keeps me from playing my non VR backlog. She has my old launch PS4 which runs smooth since day one. However it does not work with PS VR! The problem clearly is HDMI related, we've switched cables and tried different ones all with no effect. Once you start a game, the calibration/loading circle appears inside the headset while the social screen has no picture at all. Then, after a while, an "X HDMI" error appears inside the headset and you have to turn off the headset. We've tried the same set of cables and while the Destiny PS4 works, the launch PS4 gives me that error. It's really frustrating and some sources claim it's due to the launch hardware of either the PS4 or the VR splitter box and one needs to be replaced. Did any of you have that problem or know what's up with it? I guess I'll have to call support eventually but it feels weird when everything works fine on my primary system.
It's 100% a HDMI issue. I had the exact same problem on my OG PS4 and fixed it by swapping the cables.
I think it's todo with the HDCP but not entirely sure what causes it.

Is Valkyrie any good? It seems like a lot of the reviews fault it for being scant on single player content and being loaded with micro transactions if you want to stand a chance online.

Yes, it's great. By far the best space dogfighting game. Once you get used to the controls, you can maneuver through space like butter. It's nothing like the X-Wing game.

It's a multiplayer-focused game so don't get it if you don't have/want PS+. The microtransactions are just shortcuts. You can afford a fully leveled fighter ship just by leveling to 5. You won't even notice the time went by.

And now with the Pro patch, it plays AND looks great.

El-Suave

Are you sure you place the cables in the correct spots ?

Yes, 100% sure.

It's 100% a HDMI issue. I had the exact same problem on my OG PS4 and fixed it by swapping the cables.
I think it's todo with the HDCP but not entirely sure what causes it.

That's what thought, we tried five different HDMI cables in various configurations and no success though. :( It's strange that the same set of cables works on one PS4 while it fails on the older one.

Is Valkyrie any good? It seems like a lot of the reviews fault it for being scant on single player content and being loaded with micro transactions if you want to stand a chance online.

I have played a fair amount but not bought the game myself. Yeah it's good and is multiplayer not single player, the single player stuff is really just tutorials and allows you to learn the maps. The multiplayer structure is essentially that of a free to play game, i.e. you can grind out to unlock ships or pay to unlock them. Initially I refused to buy the game because of the structure but it is a game I am constantly getting drawn back to. It looks good, it plays great and is very intense. If there were more credits given in the founders pack I would have already picked this up. The game seems to be getting good support from the devs as well.

btrboyev

Just had my brother in-law play Star Wars VR... He literally bought an Xbox One S earlier in the day, told me he returned it, bought a ps4 pro and PSVR. Feels good man.

So now what's he going to do? The Star Wars VR game is like 18 mins long and most VR games are super short. The experience will wear off in about a week or two.

bumpkin

Yes, it's great. By far the best space dogfighting game. Once you get used to the controls, you can maneuver through space like butter. It's nothing like the X-Wing game.

It's a multiplayer-focused game so don't get it if you don't have/want PS+. The microtransactions are just shortcuts. You can afford a fully leveled fighter ship just by leveling to 5. You won't even notice the time went by.

And now with the Pro patch, it plays AND looks great.
I have played a fair amount but not bought the game myself. Yeah it's good and is multiplayer not single player, the single player stuff is really just tutorials and allows you to learn the maps. The multiplayer structure is essentially that of a free to play game, i.e. you can grind out to unlock ships or pay to unlock them. Initially I refused to buy the game because of the structure but it is a game I am constantly getting drawn back to. It looks good, it plays great and is very intense. If there were more credits given in the founders pack I would have already picked this up. The game seems to be getting good support from the devs as well.
Thanks for the info/impressions. I didn't love nor hate the demo, though I do know when I had to go upside down once chasing an enemy, my stomach dropped. lol.

I would love for DICE/Criterion to do a full-fledged Rogue Squadron game in the vein of the X-Wing mission. That was cool as fuck!

Right now I'm giving serious thought to downloading I Expect You To Die and/or Pinball FX2 VR.

TheBear

I'm on the fence about Werewolves Within. I have concerns about lag as I'm in Aus. Also have literally no idea what kind of game it is even after watching previews. Was glad I held out for the Tethered Demo, seems great fun but I can wait for a sale.

So now what's he going to do? The Star Wars VR game is like 18 mins long and most VR games are super short. The experience will wear off in about a week or two.

It's true. Everyone in this thread stops posting exactly two weeks after getting a PSVR because there's zero content to play, vr is a fad, etc, etc, etc...

Anyway, I expect you to die is like $33 CAD. I really want to play it, but I'm wondering how long it is. If it's at least Batman VR length then I might be fine with it.

I tried to get into Robinson again. It's an absolutely gorgeous VR game (playing it on the Pro) but it bores the shit out of me. I went to the tar pits and everything looked insanely awesome, but the "gameplay" of nudging a piece of rubble in place so I can walk over it 5+ times in a row is just not doing it for me.

I'm already sick of scanning random creatures and the platforming/climbing is tedious and annoying. It's the most visually appealing game I can remember giving up on this quickly.

Had a similar experience with Adrift on the Vive recently, it's awesome floating through space in VR and the graphics are really good. But after 2 hours of that it started to get a bit stale because there is literally nothing else to the game. You press buttons on computer screens and not much else, nothing really happens + the space station starts to look a little bit too similar after a while. I need a little bit more than that I guess.

Rubik8

I'm on the fence about Werewolves Within. I have concerns about lag as I'm in Aus. Also have literally no idea what kind of game it is even after watching previews. Was glad I held out for the Tethered Demo, seems great fun but I can wait for a sale.

It seems like half the people I play with are in Australia. Either WW is very popular there or I am just lucky. Anyways, no issue with lag with Aus players that I've seen.

Anyone know if the beginning hour demo shows improvements when played on the PS4 Pro?
I didn't have a chance to try the demo with my OG PS4 unfortunately.

I did try the Kitchen demo with my OG PS4.
Comparing the Kitchen demo on OG PS4 to Beginning Hour on PS4 Pro it does look much better. Less pixelly.

I think it's one of the best looking PSVR games right now with the Pro, I just get absorbed in it and spooked.

simtmb

Thanks guys.

Kitchen demo looked terrible on OG PS4, but the other demo looks just fine. Might just grab a Pro soon and enjoy the VR benefits in general.

whitehawk

Banned
Tried a friend unit it. I can sum it up with, psvr is good enough to prove that VR is finally here and the real deal, but bad enough to recognize that psvr isn't the device for that.

Makes me more excites for VR, but I'll wait for a Vive 2. The move inaccuracies, drifting, and poor resolution/graphics turn me off.

Burglekutt

Can anyone that has played I Expect You To Die tell me if i need a lot of room like when playing Job Simulator or can i be closer to my tv/camera like with The Heist and Wayward Sky?

Kyolux

So how does I Expect You To Die work with the Move controllers? Is the tracking decent, or is it twitchy?

It's a bit finicky. Sometimes it gets really twitchy too. I beat the first 3 levels and they were fun, but it's really stressful dying over and over until you figure out what to do. Some of the moments are timed and when the tracking goes stupid it's frustrating, even though that hasn't actually caused me to die yet.

Can anyone that has played I Expect You To Die tell me if i need a lot of room like when playing Job Simulator or can i be closer to my tv/camera like with The Heist and Wayward Sky?

Definitely like Job Simulator.

Shoeless

It's a bit finicky. Sometimes it gets really twitchy too. I beat the first 3 levels and they were fun, but it's really stressful dying over and over until you figure out what to do. Some of the moments are timed and when the tracking goes stupid it's frustrating, even though that hasn't actually caused me to die yet.

I'm beginning to see what you mean. I bit on it, and while the Move controller detection is mostly decent, it doesn't feel as nimble or responsive as Batman: Arkham VR, or Tumble, where you really feel like you've got fine control.

I'd still rather play it WITH the Move controllers, there's no question it's faster to manipulate objects with them, but if they could dial up the precision, it would be great.

Kyolux

I'm beginning to see what you mean. I bit on it, and while the Move controller detection is mostly decent, it doesn't feel as nimble or responsive as Batman: Arkham VR, or Tumble, where you really feel like you've got fine control.

I'd still rather play it WITH the Move controllers, there's no question it's faster to manipulate objects with them, but if they could dial up the precision, it would be great.

In the third level, there's this thing where you need to pour something into something.. that second something kept moving around it was infuriating.

Otherwise, it's pretty fun. I stopped after said third level though for the night. I'm going to try and finish everything tomorrow.

How is that... Is it just a game to look around?

Yes, it truly is just a 'look around' simulator. You can pick up items and interact with them in very simple ways: skimming rocks, throwing snow balls, lighting a fire, change the music on portable radios, etc. but you can't do much more than that and you can't move. You teleport to different locations with a button press. I can't really say it's relaxing, but it'll be a good demo experience for family and friends who are brand new to VR and just want to "have a look."

bumpkin

Definitely like Job Simulator.
This diminishes my interest somewhat. I have about 5 feet between my camera and couch, I've been playing most everything sitting on my sofa (except Batman which I stood for). The demo of Job Simulator didn't play very well.

Shoeless

In the third level, there's this thing where you need to pour something into something.. that second something kept moving around it was infuriating.

Otherwise, it's pretty fun. I stopped after said third level though for the night. I'm going to try and finish everything tomorrow.

Weird. I did just get to this level and just now managed to finish it. There was a little bit of twitch to the Move controllers, but not so much that it made the puzzle you're talking about too difficult to do.

Although I have to admit, it had been a while since I'd turned off my PS4 Pro completely, because I'd mostly been playing FFXV and The Last Guardian lately, so I did notice a bit of drift on the headset itself. I did the usual complete power down and that seems to cleaned things up a little in terms of twitch.

I played the beginning hour demo on both PS4 and PS4 Pro on Sunday in PSVR, it's definitely higher resolution on PS4 Pro. Noticeably less pixely.

It convinced me to get a Pro 😊

Agreed. Really too bad. The shimmering jagtastic look breaks nearly all immersion. It's so close but will need a patch to clean things up before I say "It takes me away".

Glad it wasn't just me..I was sitting out on the dock looking back at the beach and mountains and the mountains were flickering in and out.

After that I did a quick check of the rest of the areas and shut it down. Only interaction I did was throw a lantern off the forest mountain balcony.

ultron87

This diminishes my interest somewhat. I have about 5 feet between my camera and couch, I've been playing most everything sitting on my sofa (except Batman which I stood for). The demo of Job Simulator didn't play very well.

I was able to play the first two levels entirely seated. You lean around a bit, but I don't think it needs the same space as Job Simulator. There's even a specific mechanic for manipulating stuff out of reach so it expects you not to be moving around a ton.

watching AReaX on youtube in 2D.

it really isn't the same is it? So immersive in VR and the only way I think REZ should be played now. I doubt I can go back to 2D rez.

add:

launched HOLOball. Looked at their space guide where you need to see your whole body. Can't work in my living space. Turned it off :( #sad

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I played the beginning hour demo on both PS4 and PS4 Pro on Sunday in PSVR, it's definitely higher resolution on PS4 Pro. Noticeably less pixely.

It convinced me to get a Pro 😊

Yes I will pick one up in 2017 at some point. I just can't afford it right now.

Mendrox

I bought psvr for summer lesson, is it coming?

English sub version in January I think, but to be honest, that is the only game where I am disappointed that I paid that much (about 25$). It's a fun experience and really awkward and shows the potential of interaction games like these, but Namco shit the bed with the content a bit. You can play through it many times to unlock new outfits for Hikari, but now they released a package with more outfits and all for...more money. :(

Dunno worth it for the "let's listen to music!" event and looking at her phone and stuff. Neat experiences and feel strange, but it's a bit too expensive imo. And it also looks like shit on OG PS4, easily the most pixalted game on PSVR right now. And there is no Pro Patch?

ChouGoku

Watched some video, it looks pretty basic, but I grew up with games like Eye of the Beholder: do you think it's worth it for a fan of grid-based dungeon crawling?
Yes, especially for $13. VR is definitley great for this genre. You do feel like youre in a cramped dungeon. The combat is basic though, and all the enemies make the same noise when hit but VR still overwrites it. Always a sense of tension in the game

Also cool thing about RE7 VR is when you look at an item and spin the controller around is the item spins the controller

Glad it wasn't just me..I was sitting out on the dock looking back at the beach and mountains and the mountains were flickering in and out.

After that I did a quick check of the rest of the areas and shut it down. Only interaction I did was throw a lantern off the forest mountain balcony.
Lol. There wasn't a magazine rack you could have knocked over or something? :p

Mendrox

So it is creepy as fuck, has bad image quality and is quite expensive? VRGOTY!

Eh? I don't know but the game is not creepy. Only if you imagine yourself being creepy in that situation...it's a normal game with dialogue choices and interesting interactions, but yeah I know that some people will just have prejudices about that lol. The image quality is horrible though.

klaushm

Has anyone used Trinus VR to play Steam games with PSVR?

I know it is not perfect right now, but I would like to know some hands on review here.

Kinda disappointing that Surgeon Simulator doesn't have a discount for previous purchase, not sure I want to chuck another £16 at janky controls

A patch is on the way to fix the controls. I posted details about it a few pages ago.
The developer gave a real thorough response to the complaints on reddit. It was pretty admirable.

Not saying wait for me but after the patch comes out I am going to try it again and see what they did and will post about it here. As it is now the game is kind of unplayable. Skeleton Hands every 2 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom