• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tayaya

I like Battlezone, but you'd never be calling it AAA if it were a non-VR release.

AAA no, but if you grew up in arcades and played a lot of T-Mek and Cyberzone as a teenager then Battlezone is pretty much like the best game ever made. It captures the feeling of what everyone in the 90's thought VR would be like perfectly, and it's a LOT of fun with a proper old-school challenge that's brutally hard but not unfair once you learn the mechanics of the game.

I love it and have more hours into it than any other VR game I own.

vpance

Really wish I had bought Wayward Sky instead of Batman. Batman made me almost throw up and I haven't used my headset in nearly a week since playing it and I didn't really even enjoy it that much to begin with. Bleh.

Also, I hope devs don't get the idea that we're all willing to spend $10-20 for every new VR demo add-on (looking at you, Battlefront). I'm not participating in that practice. Just release your demo separately at a reasonable price or free...or I'll ignore it and move on.

Batman did it for you? But you're just standing still.

Rigs after an hour made me queasy, but I felt better the next couple sessions. Battlefront was the next one to do it. CoD VR mission was fine, but I played that after BF, so I don't know if it's a legs thing.

I've been lucky so far and not gotten sick from anything. Star wars, Scavengers odyssey, even Resident Evil 7 with full turning, etc. enabled didn't do shit. I blame it on my addiction to fucked up amusement park rides growing up.

I'd love to see a new poll now that figures out how many people still think VR is "just a stupid gimmick/fad" after people have actually had a chance to try it out now thanks to PSVR. Alot of people will just never let go of their desire for VR to fail so you see the most ridiculous reasons people can come up with for any chance to prove they were right for hating it.

I still think this current iteration/attempt is a gimmick/fad.

Yeah getting sick from Batman is a first. That just seems like the safest VR game along with Tumble VR!

My motion sickness has pretty consistent across game types.

Anything with a cockpit that has stick turning.
Rigs (managed to get a refund from Sony)
COD Jackal
X-Wing (although not as bad as other games)

Anything first person with stick turning.
Robinson
Here They Lie (also got a refund from Sony)
Resident Evil 7 Demo

Hale-XF11

Batman did it for you? But you're just standing still.

Rigs after an hour made me queasy, but I felt better the next couple sessions. Battlefront was the next one to do it. CoD VR mission was fine, but I played that after BF, so I don't know if it's a legs thing.

Yeah, it took me by surprise after all the praise it got. I made the classic mistake too of trying to power through it, because I thought it would get better for some reason, but it never did, even after powering the PS4 off completely and re-starting. So frustrating.

AAA no, but if you grew up in arcades and played a lot of T-Mek and Cyberzone as a teenager then Battlezone is pretty much like the best game ever made. It captures the feeling of what everyone in the 90's thought VR would be like perfectly, and it's a LOT of fun with a proper old-school challenge that's brutally hard but not unfair once you learn the mechanics of the game.

I love it and have more hours into it than any other VR game I own.

The main complaint that I have about Battlezone is that it's keeping me away from all the other VR games! I've hardly put any time into RIGS or Eagle Flight, because on the rare occasions I actually get chance to play I'm drawn back to BZ. It's a relatively small online co-op community, but you really have to work as a team, and it's great to see the more experienced players actively helping out newcomers rather than looking down on them.

I'm slightly taken aback at the negativity around the prospects for PSVR: Aren't they selling out as fast as the stock can be refreshed? The rate at which new titles are released has dropped off, but that's inevitable once you get past the launch rush.

It will be interesting to see how big the PSVR marketing push will be when Farpoint, RE7, Star Trek, GTS and Ace Combat arrive (yeah, yeah, GTS and AC are tacked-on 'experiences' according to the FUD - I'll wait for firm info before making a judgement). I think a lot depends on when Sony can get enough stock into the channel to make it worthwhile spending on more advertising.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yup. You probably didnt read that correctly, i know how sensitive people are about their 500 dollar glasses failing and suceeding.. MY love for VR is on life support, not VR. Its a personal opinion about all the garbage games that have come out in the last 4 weeks.

Think about what you are typing. My man, you are talking about one month worth of VR games only!

Think about what you are typing. My man, you are talking about one month worth of VR games only!

Yup..just stop reading at that post. I think I did a good job of explaining my opinion on launch versus now. There is a big difference in the quality of the games. Anyway..not gonna bicker with you. Im pretty well rooted in this PSVR "gimmick", dont need to keep justifying my opinion, my bank statement does it for me.

jonezer4

If anyone figures out how to get the "Emergency" souvenir from Deep Dive in I Expect You To Die please post it here (with spoilers of course). It's driving me crazy.

I was wondering if you had to send your old one in or not because customer support didn't know if I was getting a new one immediately or I would have to send my old one in before I got a new one.

I did not have to send the old one back to Sony. Could be different in your country though. I've contacted Sony Netherlands and it was a matter of minutes until they approved. Just needed my adress and serial of the breakout box.

Joystick

I dont even care about exclusives, just good VR.

I think the point was (I was going to say the same thing) that having a few good games and a lot of mediocre games is not limited to PS VR. It was the same with the PS4 launch, and if you look back at how many hundreds of games have been released for any existing platform the number that interest you / worthy of your $ is small.

Releasing shit like Fat City, Hyper Void, Martian VR damages opinion.

Hyper Void is pretty good in my opinion. Definitely worth free for PS+ right now and even the $9 I paid for it. It's like the Gyrus that I used to play only in 3D and with modes like flying through asteroid fields etc.

Now they got people (like me) paying 10 bucks to sit on a virtual beach..

Why spend the money then? Each game has a price point and each may or may not be worth it at that price but that's up to the buyer. I'm not picking up Perfect at its current price but may if it were on sale. I've played more than 40 games/experiences on PS VR and despite having both Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2 for years I'm very impressed with what I've played so far.

dickroach

so it only took me two days to realize everything was blurry cuz there were little protective screens on the lenses. cool!
problem now is that the lenses were smudged instantly and the little cloth that came with the thing just smudges the smudges around

Joystick

Also, I hope devs don't get the idea that we're all willing to spend $10-20 for every new VR demo add-on (looking at you, Battlefront).

But it was a free?

Like good DLC I'd be willing to pay for a VR add-on if it was substantial, and it should be included in any season pass.

Joystick

problem now is that the lenses were smudged instantly and the little cloth that came with the thing just smudges the smudges around

I use a lens cleaning spray. Spray on the cloth and it cleans quite well. Other people are using lens pens or other lens cleaning products.

Why spend the money then? Each game has a price point and each may or may not be worth it at that price but that's up to the buyer. I'm not picking up Perfect at its current price but may if it were on sale. I've played more than 40 games/experiences on PS VR and despite having both Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2 for years I'm very impressed with what I've played so far.

At some point I am going to stop spending the money. Hence the life support comment.

I have been willing to throw money at (and still do obviously) just about anything they put out on Tuesday. This is the only VR rig I will own (for now) and I want to see all the different approaches developers have to controls and presence and all the things that make VR unique. My problem with that is the quality of the games coming out now put a damper on things because of how shitty they are. You can get away with a bunch of dumpy games on the PSN (like fuckng Bridge Constructor or Magnet Knights) because they are easy to ignore when mixed in with all the other stuff that comes out. But when its Tuesday and are looking at VR junk like Proton Pulse and Crystal Rift and not much else I think it hurts opinion more than it helps...its easy to draw the line from this stuff to "fad" and "gimmick".

With all that said I still love everything about this PSVR ride. They can literally not put out another game and I would feel like I got my moneys worth. But there is more to come (really cant wait for Star Trek!) I just hope the quality improves. See something like a Lethal VR..5 weeks ago that was a no brainer, instant buy. Now..I might sort of wait and see what people are saying and that is only a byproduct of being burned by the quality of some recent purchases (Holoball and Surgeon Simulator specifically).

MrBigBoy

Can I play the Star Wars VR mission while Battlefront itself is still installing? Or do I need to wait for it to be fully installed?

Can I play the Star Wars VR mission while Battlefront itself is still installing? Or do I need to wait for it to be fully installed?

Can't say for sure, try it? I would assume you only need to own BF come to think of it, but I installed it anyway.

Edit - this is terrible advice - you have to launch the VR Mission from within Battlefront, so yes, you need to have the full game installed.

Peltz

I dont even care about exclusives, just good VR.

Heres my hot take..because VR is an unknown quantity i think they should not sell any games on the PSN unless they are good. Releasing shit like Fat City, Hyper Void, Martian VR damages opinion. They set a really high bar right at launch...almost every game was worth the asking price. Now they got people (like me) paying 10 bucks to sit on a virtual beach..meanwhile something like Allumette was free and jaw dropping,

I think you misread my exclusive statement. I meant 10 crap games for every 1 good one is the norm for all hardware.

Peltz

You shouldnt be struggling because there at least 15 games worth owning..they just happened to come out a few months ago.

Could you hook me up with some more recommendations? I have the following:

RIGS
Tethered
Playroom VR
VR Worlds
REZ
Bound
Thumper

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm thinking of grabbing Wayward Sky too. What else should I be exploring? (sorry I've not been following the thread closely over the months).

RIGS
Tethered
Playroom VR
VR Worlds
REZ
Bound
Thumper

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm thinking of grabbing Wayward Sky too. What else should I be exploring? (sorry I've not been following the thread closely over the months).

Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Batman VR
Battlezone

Matush

Anybody tried Starship Disco yet? I love rhythm games and since I doubt there will be Audio Shield PSVR version in the near future, I'm thirsty for some music VR game.

I think you misread my exclusive statement. I meant 10 crap games for every 1 good one is the norm for all hardware.

And you didn't read all of my statements...
Again..Something like a PS4, Xbox, PC can get away with a bucket of shit games because it's very much established that's just the way it is. For every AAA game you get the weekly junk. But VR is so new and week to week there just isnt a lot coming out I think its smarter to release NOTHING then saying "Heres our weekly VR game, it's pretty bad".

There isn't a whole lot of vetting going on outside of places like Reddit (and here to a much lesser extent). There isn't a lot of coverage for any VR games or any VR platform so customers are kind of left to go "Oh, Weeping Doll...I'll give it a try" Then it's bad and after 3 "Weeping Dolls" that same person might be turned off by that roll of the dice.

Until the VR corner aligns itself with your regular old games market where you can have a bunch of stuff coming out every week I think they should handle it like VR Event Game releases. Im talking specifically about PSVR here by the way..but something like Werewolves Within. That is a game that they put thought into and effort and to sell it on the PSN store with almost no fan fair. They can promote that as a must play for all VR owners on the PSN and that PS Blog. Instead something like Perfect gets its own article! I feel like it would be much smarter to promote a GAME than a 3D screensaver.

What eventually happens here is "We made all this effort to make an interesting VR game and no one knew about it or bought it." But you treat the games that that took effort to make the same way Hollywood treats its blockbusters and its a win for everyone. We get good games and devs want to make good games. Sony can't just treat Resident Evil 7 as it's VR blockbuster. Some of the great VR games are slipping through the cracks or just slumped in the corner alongside fucking Starship Disco.

RIGS
Tethered
Playroom VR
VR Worlds
REZ
Bound
Thumper

You have a lot of the great ones already!
Definitely Batman VR and Until Dawn like Sidewinder said.
Job Simulator and Headmaster are also really good for their humor and VR-ness. Those are two of the most interactive games out

My two favorite GAMES of the year are Wayward Sky and I Expect You to Die.

I finished I Expect You to Die yesterday and it's very short and maybe not worth the asking price if you are sensitive to price vs content/length. I am not that way, I am sensitive to price vs waste of my time. I would pay 60 dollars for a 2 hour game if it's an incredible 2 hours. I Expect You to Die isn't that long or that expensive but that same rule applies.

And Wayward Sky was just something special (along with Rescue Robots). It was the first game where it clicked that not everything needs to be first person, a cockpit or a roller coaster. It has been the only game that felt like I was playing a traditional narrative game..but in 3D. It was like having this giant diorama in front of me. I'm almost a little scared to play it again (still need to finish collecting the wind chimes) because of how much the presence of VR has worn off for me. I am hoping it's charm still makes me feel like I did when I first played it. But that's no matter because when I played it I equated it to playing Super Mario World for the first time.

At some point I am going to stop spending the money. Hence the life support comment.

I have been willing to throw money at (and still do obviously) just about anything they put out on Tuesday. This is the only VR rig I will own (for now) and I want to see all the different approaches developers have to controls and presence and all the things that make VR unique. My problem with that is the quality of the games coming out now put a damper on things because of how shitty they are. You can get away with a bunch of dumpy games on the PSN (like fuckng Bridge Constructor or Magnet Knights) because they are easy to ignore when mixed in with all the other stuff that comes out. But when its Tuesday and are looking at VR junk like Proton Pulse and Crystal Rift and not much else I think it hurts opinion more than it helps...its easy to draw the line from this stuff to "fad" and "gimmick".

With all that said I still love everything about this PSVR ride. They can literally not put out another game and I would feel like I got my moneys worth. But there is more to come (really cant wait for Star Trek!) I just hope the quality improves. See something like a Lethal VR..5 weeks ago that was a no brainer, instant buy. Now..I might sort of wait and see what people are saying and that is only a byproduct of being burned by the quality of some recent purchases (Holoball and Surgeon Simulator specifically).

It is likely that you are going to be very unique in this. Going by PSN Profiles most PSVR users have picked up around 4 to 6 games and their usage seems like a standard new console purchases. I.E. Buy what appeals to them and dedicate their time to what they enjoy the most.

I agree that most games that have been coming out more recently look less than appealing and for the most part appear to be sub-par, be it in presentation or experience and would be better to have some craft in the release of the products on Sony's end however these sort of releases are to be expected, most Tuesdays the releases for the vast majority of people are nothing of note and in many cases far worse than what we have been getting with the current VR releases the difference is we normally pay no attention to them.

Take it easy and don't burn out on the hardware. It is understandable that you want to experience everything but like with all media you will end up hitting that wall sooner rather than later, especially if you are playing every humdrum product. I personally limited what I bought as I knew if I didn't I'd end up going down the experience everything route and get a bit worn out on everything (done it a few times before), I intentionally didn't buy games like Batman and Headmaster, even though they interest me I know they are short but something I can look forward to when I am done with the current batch I'm playing.

Peltz

Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Batman VR
Battlezone

Yea, Until Dawn just isn't happening. I noped my way out of that demo because it's far too scary for me. Until VR came out, this has never happened with any horror movie or video game so it's a testament to how far technology has come. But I really don't feel like putting myself through that again.

I'll check out Battlezone, but Batman VR doesn't interest me.

Job Simulator and Headmaster are also really good for their humor and VR-ness. Those are two of the most interactive games out

My two favorite GAMES of the year are Wayward Sky and I Expect You to Die.

Cool. I'll probably buy Job Simulator and Headmaster. You sold me with the word "interactive." I liked the demo of Wayward Sky, but I feel like I sort of got the gist of it enough to be satisfied with the demo.

And I'll pick up I Expect You to Die when it drops in price. That's a bit pricey for me right now. I can also drop 60 bucks for a 2 hour experience, but it has to be something I've been looking forward to for a long time with more of an action premise (like a shmup or something). 2 hour story based games just aren't my thing.

In fact, writing that last sentence made me realize that I think my main issue with the library for PSVR is that arcade-style experiences are vastly underrepresented so far. I'd love to see someone create a shmup or a side-scroller or something similar with the technology.

All these "stories" and "experiences" aren't what scratch my itch as a gamer. I need an addictive high-score style game that is merely enhanced by PSVR. Or a grand sweeping Zelda-like adventure with a finely crafted interactive world. I get that developers are tailor-making their games for VR, and that you cannot do the same things the way you'd do on a traditional display. But that doesn't mean that we need to totally start from scratch and make games that don't fit into traditional fundamental genres that made the video game medium successful in the first place.

Like I said, the platformer level in Playroom VR is amazing. Part of the reason why is because it still feels like a video game and that's how I like my video games to feel, whether they're in VR or otherwise. I think VR will be at its best when the headset is merely enhancing the types of games we all already know and love as gamers, rather than trying to create all these totally new experiments.

When the Wii remote came out, Nintendo paired it with Wii Sports and Excite Truck. Then eventually they released Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 along with others. Each of these games would also possible without motion controls. The motion control aspect merely enhanced the fun.

I'd like to VR approached with the same level of execution and confidence in the underlying gameplay concept. True, you cannot just slap VR onto traditional camera stick controls for a video game and call it a day. But you also don't need to go in the totally opposite direction by throwing everything gamers love out the window. There's a middle ground I want seasoned developers to nail.

This is one major reason why I wish Nintendo were making capable VR hardware that was at least on par with PSVR. I would trust them to do this better than anyone.

Cool. I'll probably buy Job Simulator and Headmaster.

Headmaster is the most underrated game for PSVR and Job simulator the most overrated one IMO. The first one is challenging and in the latter you just do stuff without any pressure.

I would love to see your opinion thought when you finish them.

Peltz

Headmaster is the most underrated game for PSVR and Job simulator the most overrated one IMO. The first one is challenging and in the latter you just do stuff without any pressure.

I would love to see your opinion thought when you finish them.

I'll download Headmaster now. I'll grab Job Simulator after playing around with Headmaster.

Shoeless

If you're interested in something shmupy-esque, you could also try Hypervoid, which I believe is actually free for PS+ subscribers this month.

MrBigBoy

Can't say for sure, try it? I would assume you only need to own BF come to think of it, but I installed it anyway.

Edit - this is terrible advice - you have to launch the VR Mission from within Battlefront, so yes, you need to have the full game installed.

No, or I couldn't anyway. Had to be fully installed.
Indeed, has to be fully installed.

Why does it take so long to download?!

Peltz

If you're interested in something shmupy-esque, you could also try Hypervoid, which I believe is actually free for PS+ subscribers this month.

Downloaded. I'll check it out.

I really dig headmaster. Controls are slightly sensitive and finicky though. Sometimes it feels like I have complete control, other times, not so much. Still, it's a good game that I'm going to play a lot and continue to come back to. I also appreciate the attempt at humor and overall "level design" (if you can call it that). Thanks for the suggestion.

IQ in the game is a bit blurry. Does PS4Pro help with that?

Kurdel

Banned
I'd like to VR approached with the same level of execution and confidence in the underlying gameplay concept. True, you cannot just slap VR onto traditional camera stick controls for a video game and call it a day. But you also don't need to go in the totally opposite direction by throwing everything gamers love out the window. There's a middle ground I want seasoned developers to nail.

Thumper, Super Stardust and Super Hyper Cube might interest you.

Downloaded. I'll check it out.

I really dig headmaster. Controls are slightly sensitive and finicky though. Sometimes it feels like I have complete control, other times, not so much. Still, it's a good game that I'm going to play a lot and continue to come back to. I also appreciate the attempt at humor and overall "level design" (if you can call it that). Thanks for the suggestion.

IQ in the game is a bit blurry. Does PS4Pro help with that?

Not yet, but it will be getting a patch.

TimFL

Bought a PSVR unit yesterday (they had exactly 1 at a retailer near me because someone didn't pick their ordered unit up).

I'm not that sold on it though:
- Pretty blurry, like the picture is out of focus a bit (calibrated the eye distance stuff several times but no dice).
- Picture quality in, for example, the PSVR World Demo is really bad (I read that there was no Pro patch for the VR World Demo? Is this true?)
- The headset does not fit my head properly at the bottom causing light to shine in ruining the experience (can probably find a workaround for this via a piece of clothing or w/e)
- Tracking seems a bit choppy with a slight drift happening every now and then (could be the camera position... my gaming room is pretty tiny so I am sitting approximately 1,50m away from the camera) but I'll experiment with different camera angles/positions and try it out at a friends place with a bigger playarea on monday.

What is the definitive PSVR experience demo/game? Is the full version of the VR Worlds good? I downloaded the Until Dawn RoB demo but I am hesitant due to no Move controllers (sold out everywhere, friend has 2 but I am too lazy to drive there before monday). Can I use 2 DS4 controllers as a substitute (I know that the Heist demo allowed me to use my DS4 as my right hand IG).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom