• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

Battlefront VR was really disappointing. Such a shame what this has become, this thing is going back on the shelf for now.

RoyalFool

Banned
Bought a PSVR unit yesterday (they had exactly 1 at a retailer near me because someone didn't pick their ordered unit up).

Hey dude, to answer your Q's...

• Check you don't have the plastic cover the lenses and give them a wipe, it should be low-resolution but crisp rather than out of focus / blurry. Unless you are looking at stuff too close to your face, in which case blame your brain.
  • PS Worlds has a Pro patch, helps a fair bit.
  • Try lifting it at the back to reduce the space under your nose, takes a while to figure out the sweet-spot.
  • 1.5m sounds a bit too close, try putting it above you TV to increase the distance.

Hope you come around to it after some time, has some solid titles. PS VR Worlds is a nice one to get into to start with.

Bought a PSVR unit yesterday (they had exactly 1 at a retailer near me because someone didn't pick their ordered unit up).

I'm not that sold on it though:
- Pretty blurry, like the picture is out of focus a bit (calibrated the eye distance stuff several times but no dice).
- Picture quality in, for example, the PSVR World Demo is really bad (I read that there was no Pro patch for the VR World Demo? Is this true?)
- The headset does not fit my head properly at the bottom causing light to shine in ruining the experience (can probably find a workaround for this via a piece of clothing or w/e)
- Tracking seems a bit choppy with a slight drift happening every now and then (could be the camera position... my gaming room is pretty tiny so I am sitting approximately 1,50m away from the camera) but I'll experiment with different camera angles/positions and try it out at a friends place with a bigger playarea on monday.

What is the definitive PSVR experience demo/game? Is the full version of the VR Worlds good? I downloaded the Until Dawn RoB demo but I am hesitant due to no Move controllers (sold out everywhere, friend has 2 but I am too lazy to drive there before monday). Can I use 2 DS4 controllers as a substitute (I know that the Heist demo allowed me to use my DS4 as my right hand IG).

None of the demos are patched for pro. When it comes to getting rid of the light bleed position the headset based on the unit that contains the screen rather then the position of the band (always adjust by the band though), you can get it so your eyelashes touch the lenses if you really want but there is a sweet spot between that and light bleed. The resolution isn't going to be perfect so it is always going to be a bit like looking at a 720p screen. Tracking issues can vary on a lot of different things (interfering light is the biggest problem especially sunlight, so look for reflections) shorter distances are usually better than further distances and best if you can have the camera at head level rather than above or below. In terms of games go for what appeals to you.

Shoeless

I don't have PS+, been trying to play the hypervoid demo but it won't allow me to. Pressing play on the menu just goes to the end nag/sale screen. Any ideas?

The Hypervoid VR demo is like the X-Wing mission. It's an add on that requires the base game to be present and installed before it'll work. If you don't have PS+, then you need to buy Hypervoid first, then you can run the demo.

Drastic

The Hypervoid VR demo is like the X-Wing mission. It's an add on that requires the base game to be present and installed before it'll work. If you don't have PS+, then you need to buy Hypervoid first, then you can run the demo.

Right, I understand the VR add-on only works with the full game, I'm just trying to run the regular demo in cinema/theater mode. This.

Even if I just play in regular mode on the TV it does the same. I guess maybe the addon, which I did download, is causing this. I'll try removing that.

Edit - uninstalling, reinstalling didn't work. Doesn't play with or without the dlc/addon. I guess maybe it just doesn't work on the ps4pro.

Darknight

Anyone have a good recommendation on amazon for a tripod or Mic stand to use with the camera? I've heard some have gotten the sway/wobble minimized this way.

I'm not that sold on it though:
- Pretty blurry, like the picture is out of focus a bit (calibrated the eye distance stuff several times but no dice).
- Picture quality in, for example, the PSVR World Demo is really bad (I read that there was no Pro patch for the VR World Demo? Is this true?)
- The headset does not fit my head properly at the bottom causing light to shine in ruining the experience (can probably find a workaround for this via a piece of clothing or w/e)
- Tracking seems a bit choppy with a slight drift happening every now and then (could be the camera position... my gaming room is pretty tiny so I am sitting approximately 1,50m away from the camera) but I'll experiment with different camera angles/positions and try it out at a friends place with a bigger playarea on monday.

What is the definitive PSVR experience demo/game? Is the full version of the VR Worlds good? I downloaded the Until Dawn RoB demo but I am hesitant due to no Move controllers (sold out everywhere, friend has 2 but I am too lazy to drive there before monday). Can I use 2 DS4 controllers as a substitute (I know that the Heist demo allowed me to use my DS4 as my right hand IG).

Try moving the headset around when putting it on. It can get blurry, but there is a sweet spot for me where the blurriness goes away. Also push the back of the headset up more on your head and the screen will go down your nose more and block out the light coming from the bottom.

Impulsor

My Ps vr clearly has a spec of dust in the inside side of the right lens. Its a decent spec too.
Bl9QDGH

I cannot see it with the ps vr on at all. I tried, i promise, but i just cant see it, it isnt there qhile playing. I have no dead pixels or drifting. Should i exchange this?

lt519

Does anyone know when these will be back in stock? January?

Dunno, I'm taking the stock shortage as an opportunity to get out of VR without taking a loss. It's just not doing it for me. I like the idea, but the tech just isn't there and the lack of full games has been disappointing. The disappointment in Star Wars VR was the tipping point for me.

Sold it used for $690 on eBay but have a few local offers for $550, not sure what I'm going to take. Come out to about the same after fees and shipping but eBay is such a risk.

When's that? I can't find a single thing about it anywhere online. There's some misinformation saying it already has one.

Last month the Headmaster devs said of Pro support "eventually we’ll turn the render size up a bit for a slightly sharper image"

There is an update due very soon adding more Party Mode levels, so perhaps Pro support will be added there.

Does anyone know when these will be back in stock? January?

A couple of UK retailers are quoting January.

somme

I like your reviews! Short, yet informative and with all the important info. I'd leave my adblock off on your site if you decided to monetize a little!

Cheers! I like to get to the point haha. I did think about putting ads on there, just so the site could pay for itself. Will hold off for now though.

boon

Yeah, the only way to get my PU off is to fully unplug its power.

Is this normal, any fixes? Sometimes I forget and the PU will be on all day and night.
Mine has been good about turning off (red light) since disabling USB after shutdown power save option.

Amused

Loving my VR!

But is it possible to move the screen back just a little bit when watching videos (or playing regular games on a "big screen")?

Seems soldout in Amazon, when is the next shipment?

This is what I want to know. Hopefully stores are replenished after christmas. Reading through this thread has inspired me to get onboard with this sooner than later( I was thinking a year from now when the hardware $$$ has possibly dropped and library a bit more fleshed out). I'm thinking I may use my 20% discount on Batman arkham and Until Dawn PSN just to spread the costs out a bit for when I bite. Fortunately I kept my move controllers from last gen so all I need is the camera and VR headset.

Glix

Loving my VR!

But is it possible to move the screen back just a little bit when watching videos (or playing regular games on a "big screen")?

There are options for three different sized and its the middle one by default. Try small.

Its in, like the main vr options

MrMephistoX

This is what I want to know. Hopefully stores are replenished after christmas. Reading through this thread has inspired me to get onboard with this sooner than later( I was thinking a year from now when the hardware $$$ has possibly dropped and library a bit more fleshed out). I'm thinking I may use my 20% discount on Batman arkham and Until Dawn PSN just to spread the costs out a bit for when I bite. Fortunately I kept my move controllers from last gen so all I need is the camera and VR headset.

I keep
Seeing bundles pop up on the regular on GameStop.com so they may be replenished but selling out just as fast. Anecdotally heard that at Toys R Us as well.

TheMan

finally was able to try out the star wars VR mission.

it's alright, i guess. Much shorter than I thought it would be. People were saying "journalists played for 15 minutes and didn't finish the whole thing." Whatever, it's 16 minutes long then. There's replayability I guess, but the parts with dialogue where you just fly around make that kind of a pain.

In terms of gameplay it's pretty good, though a bit too easy. Controls are very arcadey, but being in that cockpit is pretty cool. I get that this was free, but I still expected more from some of the impressions i read around here.

majik13

Mine has been good about turning off (red light) since disabling USB after shutdown power save option.

ok, so whats that mean? Havent particularly searched for an option like that. Whats it called? where is it? And what does it do? Disables USB powering when you shut down? What about Rest mode?

Edit: Ok, just looked, all I could find was rest mode power options, no shutdown. I do have USB ports set to power for 3 hours during rest mode. But the PU will stay on forever in Rest. But I did find this time when I shutdown the PS4, the PU did switch to red lights. I think this is not always consistent though. I need to use Rest mode to charge my controller, my headset, etc.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TimFL said:
VR Worlds experiences are among the worst cases for image quality due to using temporal-reconstruction that fails more often than not, leading to lots of times of very low output resolution, and having a ton of motion artifacts even when it "works". Also a problem with latest Resident Evil Demo, and some of the smaller "movie/interactive" experiences (Invasion 3d, Gary the Gull etc.).
On VRWorlds, the only exception is Danger Ball, which has none of the IQ problems of the other demos (and is arguably the most fun on the disc anyway).

You can actually adjust the flaps to cover more of the incoming light by pulling them outwards after you put the headset on. Though I think there was a clear design intention to not isolate you completely, for better or worse.

I keep
Seeing bundles pop up on the regular on GameStop.com so they may be replenished but selling out just as fast. Anecdotally heard that at Toys R Us as well.

Ok thanks, I'm fine waiting till post-xmas rush at this point if I can get one without jumping through hoops. I'm also thinking about upgrading my Ps4 OG to a Pro. My wallet has been begging for mercy this holiday season already!

theWB27

Man the kids are loving this thing. My daughter loves the alumette story. Nephew couldn't make it through the kitchen demo.

Great stuff really.

Shoeless

Man the kids are loving this thing. My daughter loves the alumette story. Nephew couldn't make it through the kitchen demo.

Great stuff really.

Just as a friendly piece of advice, I don't know the age of the kids you're talking about, but I'd be really, REALLY careful about exposing young children to VR horror experiences. They can be legitimately traumatizing experiences for sensitive kids. It may be just fun to you, but to the wrong kid, with the wrong predisposition, this could give them a complex that they might have to live with for years.

In the same way you probably don't want to leave a kid alone with a dog that bites, because it might leave that child with a lifelong fear of dogs, this is pretty much the same thing. There's a big difference between having a good time laughing at someone's jump scare and creating an actual phobia in a child where none existed before.

Theonik

While I agree that most every game should have a demo if possible, demos aren't always easy to produce, especially for smaller devs. You are essentially dealing with a vertical slice that has to be stable and representative of your title, and because its app structure may be different from the full game requires its own stability testing and QA. Couple that with the accelerated launch release table, and many simply have to forgo that luxury.

Also. We didn't do a demo since our game is super cheap. :p
And the risk of messing up a demo can be as high as whatever benefit you get if the demo is good.

vpance

Can anyone playing I Expect You To Die drop a subtle hint on what to do in the cabin with the crystal machine?

I put in every crystal but there's no reaction. It seems like I need to turn the machine too but there's no obvious way to do that.

Matush

Can anyone playing I Expect You To Die drop a subtle hint on what to do in the cabin with the crystal machine?

I put in every crystal but there's no reaction. It seems like I need to turn the machine too but there's no obvious way to do that.
"Read" more books and maybe you'll find the right ones.

Shoeless

Have you read every scrap of notes, papers and other writing available in the cabin?

I'm not sure if one of my Move controllers is broken. One of them jitters uncontrollably no matter the game (here I'm trying I Expect You To Die)

https://twitter.com/incitemaybe/status/810623156704526336

I've recalibrated the light but it changes nothing, it seems to be more a problem with the gyro? Is this a known problem or does anyone have any experience resetting the gyro in the controller? Idk

Thanks for any input 😀

Also, everyone who said the opening to I Expect You To Die was awesome..... It certainty is!

tr00per

While I agree that most every game should have a demo if possible, demos aren't always easy to produce, especially for smaller devs. You are essentially dealing with a vertical slice that has to be stable and representative of your title, and because its app structure may be different from the full game requires its own stability testing and QA. Couple that with the accelerated launch release table, and many simply have to forgo that luxury.

Also. We didn't do a demo since our game is super cheap. :p

I totally respect that. But I guess my argument hinges on this:

How difficult is it to have the full game download and lock a demo to 10-15 minutes or the first level?

Serious question I have no programming experience

I totally respect that. But I guess my argument hinges on this:

How difficult is it to have the full game download and lock a demo to 10-15 minutes or the first level?

Serious question I have no programming experience
"Difficult" depends on how open a platform is for hacking/piracy.

You can do simple time limits and checks but we know that plenty of hackers like to mod games so that would be easy to bypass.

I still feel that for VR it is a must moving forward. right now devs/pubs are riding on some VR hype coattails to sell their games mostly blind.

tr00per

"Difficult" depends on how open a platform is for hacking/piracy.

You can do simple time limits and checks but we know that plenty of hackers like to mod games so that would be easy to bypass.

I still feel that for VR it is a must moving forward. right now devs/pubs are riding on some VR hype coattails to sell their games mostly blind.

I can understand that concern but plenty of ps4 games use that method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom