• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDC1

The game has 6 chapters for PS4 with 3 VR-specific chapters for PSVR

Sparc announced for Vive/Rift/PSVR
https://www.playsparc.com/

(About Dying Reborn)

I'm not sure they are VR-specific. When I read the impressions on this preview:

http://www.selectbutton.com/previews/dying-reborn-hands-on-impressions-psvr/

The description totally matches what I saw playing the first chapter in the Vita version (I haven't tried the VR version yet).

I finished the first chapter in less than 20mn. I hope the other chapters are a lot longer else the VR version is gonna be very short.

About Apollo 11, Playstation blog is confirming it's coming in Europe tomorrow.

Bit of a strange 2 Part tweet from PlayStation EU today

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/836580728615874560

This peep's got some serious moves! Tethered for #PlayStationVR gets Move and #PS4Pro support this Thursday.

Strangely it got Pro support on patch 1.02 back in November. I guess it's getting a bit more polish though, I've tweeted Secret Sorcery to find out what's new.

Edit: Update

wXJgHop.png

ckohler

no motion sickness? i was interested in it but that's all i ever hear talked about with this game :\

No. I play with degree turning (not smooth) and that makes most any game playable. I can stomach even Windlands when using degree turning.

graphics is good but I feel it only render at 1080, event on the pro, the best looking game PSVR I play until now is Bound, what a beautiful game with 4k render. Hope PSVR 2 will fully 4k render for all game :D

Thing is, there are no jagged edges at all in Robinson, so it doesn't really matter. 1080p is the resolution of the headset and the game's native anti-aliasing and texture quality is so good that it works.

Bound is a great looking game but supersampling just removes the jaggies. Even with all of the motion, it's all just textureless polygons so I don't think it really compairs. Art style wise, it's fantastic but if we're talking about photo realism, Robinson is at the top.

Billfisto

(About Dying Reborn)

The description totally matches what I saw playing the first chapter in the Vita version (I haven't tried the VR version yet).

I finished the first chapter in less than 20mn. I hope the other chapters are a lot longer else the VR version is gonna be very short.

From what I understand the full game is 6 chapters, and the VR version is three of those chapters that they felt would work best in VR. So, you can buy the full game without VR, or an abridged version of the game with VR.

I'm pretty disappointed they decided to go this route. Apparently there's a bundle appearing on the EU store that gets you Vita/PS4/PSVR, but I'm not seeing it on NA. It's a lost sale from me until I can get the whole thing.

FDC1

From what I understand the full game is 6 chapters, and the VR version is three of those chapters that they felt would work best in VR. So, you can buy the full game without VR, or an abridged version of the game with VR.

I'm pretty disappointed they decided to go this route. Apparently there's a bundle appearing on the EU store that gets you Vita/PS4/PSVR, but I'm not seeing it on NA. It's a lost sale from me until I can get the whole thing.

Yes, there was a pack last night in Europe, I bought it, but for some unknown reason it's not on the store anymore, same with Vita version, maybe a problem with this version? (I played the first chapter on Vita without any problem).

Edit: according to the publisher's twitter, it seems Vita version wasn't supposed to be released today, probably a SCEE error, I was lucky to grab the full package early.

https://twitter.com/OAS_Games/status/835198723068063744

Kyolux

It's kind of shit that Undying: Reborn isn't fully playable in VR. Going to wait and see. No rush to get it with my playthrough of Horizon started yesterday and Zelda at the end of the week.

Billfisto

It's kind of shit that Undying: Reborn isn't fully playable in VR. Going to wait and see. No rush to get it with my playthrough of Horizon started yesterday and Zelda at the end of the week.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't fully playable in VR. I get that it takes effort to properly implement VR and it just may not work / be fun for some of the content. Splitting it into two standalone SKUs, though? That's a bit of a jerk move. Offering a bundle somewhat lightens it, but it looks like it isn't even available until the Vita version goes live.

I have Torment, Horizon, and Van Helsing to play, so no impulse buy on Dying for me now!

Kyolux

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't fully playable in VR. I get that it takes effort to properly implement VR and it just may not work / be fun for some of the content. Splitting it into two standalone SKUs, though? That's a bit of a jerk move. Offering a bundle somewhat lightens it, but it looks like it isn't even available until the Vita version goes live.

I have Torment, Horizon, and Van Helsing to play, so no impulse buy on Dying for me now!

Yeah, I got Torment too whenever Amazon gets their shipment and ship it to me.

But yeah, if at least it was like you said, it wouldn't be half as bad.

Shoeless

Sony has an official press release about the sales of PS VR, but the most interesting thing about the release is this bit:

Currently there are more than 220 software titles and content in development for PS VR with highly anticipated launches on their way, including ACE COMBAT 7 (BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.), FINAL FANTASY XV (SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.), STEEL COMBAT (COLOPL, Inc.), TEKKEN 7 (BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.), Farpoint, Gran Turismo Sport (SIE WWS) in addition to video content. By the end of 2017, over 100 new software titles and experiences are expected to be released.

Exciting times.

Samus4145

(About Dying Reborn)

Hey, that's my preview! :)

Yeah, the three 3 VR chapters are from the non-VR game. Even the menu in the VR is the same, with the doors to the other chapters closed off.

Just finished 2 of the 3 chapters in VR. Taking a break before finishing it. Quick thoughts; you probably won't replay it ever, but would be good to watch friends play through it. The sound quality is quite low, with repeating music and sound effects (screaming, crying babies etc.) that over stay their welcome or are way too loud.

The VR version REALLY should have been included in the main $20 game. Hate that it is broken out into separate SKUs.

edit: Oh yeah, Tethered is getting another Pro patch to really push the benefits of the system. I got an email from them a couple weeks ago and forgot all about it. Top 3 PSVR game so far for me.

bumpkin

I beat Robinson: The Journey tonight. Very polished experience. Definitely as close to being in Jurassic Park as I'm likely to ever get. Probably the best graphics on PSVR. No jaggies and tons of detail (played on Pro).
Until ARK Park comes out, that is. I wish they'd give something more specific than "2017" for a release date.

I really enjoyed Robinson despite its quirks. I played on a regular PS4 and the image quality wasn't perfect, but it was still one of the best looking VR games I'd played at the time. It had more than one "WOW!" moment, the ones I remember most were when I saw a "longneck" walk by for the first time and a close encounter with a pterosaur while traversing a precarious tree branch. I'm pretty sure if my wife had been watching me play, she'd have given me shit about how often my mouth was agape.

Planet

Looks more like a permanent price cut to me, no end date set. It's 20% in Germany, down to €24 from €30. The launch discount was the same, which is what I paid. Looking forward to Move controls and improved visuals. :)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
(About Dying Reborn)

The press release implies that there are 3 VR specific chapters.
The PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®Vita games consists of six chapters of riveting gameplay, while PlayStation®VR has three immersive chapters for a shorter but even more intense experience .
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...28_ON_PLAYSTATIONregVRand_PLAYSTATIONreg4.php

Briarios

Oh man, I can't wait to try Tethered with the move ... I feel like it'll work smoother, at least, I imagine it would be easier.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's more an "experience". It's reproducing the flight from July 1969 (not only the moon landing, but the launch and other moments too), it's using some authentic audio pieces where Armstrong or Aldrin are talking, etc..

This sounds awesome!

Samus4145

After playing some of the non-VR version of Dying Reborn, I can confirm that the VR versions are slightly different, but based off the ones in the main game. Just some minor changes to how the puzzles play out. Seems like they are missing many small details too.

Question guys, Should the second thread be titled |OT| or |OT2|?

I never titled this thread |OT| instead I went with Launch Thread but it was still the Official Thread.

So the second OT should be |OT2| right? lol

Jimmy_liv

You know....I've been fairly robust to VR motion sickness since the start.
Almost finished RE7 with no comfort settings on and played the whole thing in VR.

Played loads of titles and never really got sick but bizarrely Psychonaughts has twice now made me feel sick.
I think it's all the warping about I seem to get motion sickness in a game where there is no motion!

How odd! Just gonna try and muscle through to the end and then back to Rally VR

I took a break from Horizon last night to try out Scavengers Odyssey in VR Worlds. I had heard this game was notoriously making people motion sick. I'm happy to report that I didn't have this issue at all, and in fact really enjoyed it. I wish this would pan out to an entire game!

A lot of titles use stuck in place combat with teleportation to move around, and I feel like that is incredibly limiting. I hope we see more titles like this in the future, with full freedom of movement.

bumpkin

I took a break from Horizon last night to try out Scavengers Odyssey in VR Worlds. I had heard this game was notoriously making people motion sick. I'm happy to report that I didn't have this issue at all, and in fact really enjoyed it. I wish this would pan out to an entire game!

A lot of titles use stuck in place combat with teleportation to move around, and I feel like that is incredibly limiting. I hope we see more titles like this in the future, with full freedom of movement.
*high five*

For real, I would buy a follow-up continuing Scavenger's Odyssey in a heartbeat. Same with The London Heist.

hank_tree

no motion sickness? i was interested in it but that's all i ever hear talked about with this game :

Robinson the Jouney is the only game to make me feel sick. I've tried it multiple times and always feel terrible after 10-15 minutes.

And I played through Resident Evil 7 in its entirety in VR with no issues. Not sure what is different about Robinson.

It's also super boring so I wouldn't worry about missing it.

Edit: To be clear I only started Robinson after Resi 7.

Apollo 11 is very well done for the most part. The craft interiors and exteriors are excellent, as is the overall atmosphere thanks to the authentic sound playing out, but actually being on the moon was a bit of a let down in comparison.

£9.49 feels slightly too expensive for something that takes about an hour to go through (depending on how much time you spend exploring the moon's surface).

It's great for anyone really interested in the subject matter; my kids are going to go nuts over it. But it's hard to recommend to anyone else without a price drop.

Shoeless

Apollo 11 is very well done for the most part. The craft interiors and exteriors are excellent, as is the overall atmosphere thanks to the authentic sound playing out, but actually being on the moon was a bit of a let down in comparison.

£9.49 feels slightly too expensive for something that takes about an hour to go through (depending on how much time you spend exploring the moon's surface).

It's great for anyone really interested in the subject matter; my kids are going to go nuts over it. But it's hard to recommend to anyone else without a price drop.

How are the graphics on this? Are you playing on the Pro or an original PS4? If the environments feel immersive, I want to bite on this when it hits the North American store.

How are the graphics on this? Are you playing on the Pro or an original PS4? If the environments feel immersive, I want to bite on this when it hits the North American store.

I'm playing on Pro. Graphics are mixed. The insides of the capsules are really good, as are the lighting effects. But character models aren't great and the moon surface was disappointing. Overall though, it's better than I thought it would be. Working a night shift, otherwise I'd throw up some screens for you.

I really enjoyed the Apollo VR mission. Docking the CM to the the LM was pretty hard. Bunny hopping on the moon surface was fun and landing the LM was too hard for me, I had to skip. The interior of the LM and CM is extremely detailed and I really enjoyed liftoff and re-entry. Only negative was the textures on Moon's surface but I can look past that considering how well done the rest of the experience is.

Well worth making a UK account for just to download it. I couldn't wait for the US version to arrive lol. I'd definitely recommend to any space buffs out there like me, and I can see myself replaying this over and over again.

ranmafan

I really enjoyed the Apollo VR mission. Docking the CM to the the LM was pretty hard. Bunny hopping on the moon surface was fun and landing the LM was too hard for me, I had to skip. The interior of the LM and CM is extremely detailed and I really enjoyed liftoff and re-entry. Only negative was the textures on Moon's surface but I can look past that considering how well done the rest of the experience is.

Well worth making a UK account for just to download it. I couldn't wait for the US version to arrive lol. I'd definitely recommend to any space buffs out there like me, and I can see myself replaying this over and over again.

I can't wait to get this. I've always been real into the space program and is history and to play a vr experience of apollo 11 is a dream come true. It sounds so awesome! I remember as a kid being blown away by the c-64 game apollo 18. But this will I bet surpass it. Hope it gets posted to the us store soon, or even better the Japanese store.

Planet

I went ahead and wrote a review of Apollo 11 VR for a german PlayStation fansite called OnPSX. Let's just say I wasn't exactly thrilled by the experience, but I can see they tried to make something nice with little budget. It is in german, or course, but you can have a look at what Google makes of it.

The short: the little interaction there is also kinda sucks, the graphics are a mixed bag with nice cockpit details but some painful low quality points (earth surface, shadows), there really isn't much background info, mostly it's just atmospheric music and authentic radio communications. And of course it's very short.

What they have been showing for Titanic VR looks like they improved a lot since that, so I kept my Kickstarter pledge and hope for the best.

Joystick

Yes, it got a bad rap and is hardly mentioned. I thought it was reasonably good. The first time I tried it out I felt a bit queasy but I completed it on the second play and was fine as I learned to expect the movement when spin jumping.

Edit: I think that overall VR Worlds is a great game. They did really well putting together the collection of smaller games offering different control schemes and play styles.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Evolved1 said:
Well I can only speak anecdotally. Higher framerates and fidelity would help a lot for me.
Anecdotal evidence still needs - err - evidence. Have you experienced any of these same games at higher framerate to a "big improvement" in terms of comfort? Because assuming it's so because "feelings" doesn't make it a thing, even anecdotally.

To be clear - my point was simply that based on statistically "relevant" samples I've seen no evidence towards 60@120 being a comfort breaker. There's however evidence that higher level of immersion (which also comes with higher framerates) contribute to higher levels of discomfort with respect to artificial locomotion etc. Mind you - I'm comparing 120hz head-tracking here - I absolutely agree that 60hz head-tracked solutions (the mobile ones) are less comfortable overall - but that's a combination of factors (tracking latency doesn't help - but I find far more of an issue with lack of positional tracking personally, which is a distinct source of discomfort for me personally).

Planet

I wonder how Brookhaven Experience is going to work with Aim. Use it one handed and the flashlight hand still uses Move? Ditch the flashlight / knife hand? That would make you less effective in close quarters.

DjRalford

Had my dad (64) play headmasters demo on the VR when he came round, he was really going for it, but at the end where the test starts then abruptly stops there is a football that gets launched and comes towards you in the dark.

He dodged out the way and nearly ended up on the floor, despite that he said it was an amazing experience.

Tethered patch has installed, adds move support and a big list of pro enhancements - not had chance to try it out yet tho.

Ooooo, not played tethered in a while, might have to play it this week on my days off and see what the improvements are, its already a pretty sweet looking game as is on the pro.

RoyalFool

Banned

It looks like ass.

Spaceship exterior looks like it was made in autocad,

They are using the lowest resolution earth texture, on earth. Seriously, it's supposed to be an was inspiring moment but it looks like an unreal engine game when you are waiting for the textures to load,,

For the moon they used a NASA reconstructed ground texture which looks decent from a distance, but up close it's almost as bad, no specular or bump maps, just a few low poly craters and random rocks thrown about. Shit is even clipping thru the side of the lander and no real time shadows so when you see Neil hopping about he's like a fucking lunar ghost.

The music is awesome, but man - they needed to hire some graphic artists. No real immersion :(

I did like the one guy at the start who's walking on the docking platform without bending his knees then just vanished, he was fun.

Rubik8

Ooooo, not played tethered in a while, might have to play it this week on my days off and see what the improvements are, its already a pretty sweet looking game as is on the pro.

Okay the Tethered update is really cool. The addition of move support give you the ability to seamlessly move over the island, and it feels amazing. Plus, you can get right up close to your Peeps now or zoom way out with a satisfying gesture. It makes me want move support patched into more games.

Lord Phol

Man I'm pretty mad at myself. Had a great opportunity to get a pre-owned bundle, barely used with everything included plus some games for a good price, but I hesitated since it's still pretty pricey and someone else snatched it before I could. Now I'm just constantly updating Blocket and Tradera (Swedish craigslist and ebay), hoping for a good deal to show up. Too bad Sony hasn't bothered with any bundles here in Sweden.

On another note has there been any improvements or better understanding of the tracking issues people were having?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom