• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I think it looks decent, but I also think these kind of games are still not ready for VR.
We need more power to have a nice graphic for today standards.

Physic, details, etc... it's still too early. Nice to have them though to taste what we can expect in the future.

Yeah it looks pretty good, isn't it filmed through the helmet according to the youtube comments? Guess it'll look better when playing it, but I'm not expecting too much. The hardware just isn't ready yet for nice graphics with high drawing distances. But to me it's more than good enough, Dirt Rally VR is a blast!

No point in that rendering style unless yuou have very good eye tracking. Which i dont see happening until gen 3 headsets with huge resolutions

Sony has introduced an eye tracking technology 3 years before though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYr9MaZw3I
''The eye-tracking comes from the same team behind the Project Morpheus VR headset, the PlayStation Move, and the PlayStation Camera.''
https://venturebeat.com/2014/05/26/...f-sonys-unnoticed-cool-game-technology-demos/

I hope that they have improved it by now and bring it in the next headset 2 or 3 years from now.

Totally disagree. Playing Dirt Rally in VR with a wheel and pedals has been a revelation, by far the best thing i have played in VR to date

what wheel?

Thanks to whoever said the trick to throwing in Superhot VR is to do it like a "force push" -
- instead of a frisbee.

I was throwing knives and wine bottles like a champ last night. Game is so gooooood.

Shit I'd better try that. Everything I throw goes straight down to the floor.

Grinchy

Banned
Is RE7 playable sitting down?

I played Farpoint perfectly sitting down. I am tall and playing SUPERHOT while standing worked but whenever I reached up it sometimes out-of-bounds-ed. My camera can't go up much higher and don't feel like buying a stand for it.

I tried Farpoint and RE7 standing up and lasted about 10 seconds on each. They just feel immensely better to me while sitting.

It's a shame you can't get a good standing setup for Superhot.

Uhyve

So I just got £42 PSN credit for £25. With the deals going on I'm thinking I'm gonna get:

Driveclub VR
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Robinson: The Journey (heard this wasn't quite worth the asking price, but it's £20 now)

Don't have many VR games so far (Psychonauts, Rez, Polybius, RE7). Anyone got any recommended changes to my basket? Was thinking Superhot instead of Robinson but I dunno, I can't see myself ever buying Robinson once it goes back up to it's full asking price...

Turkoop

Banned
So I just got £42 PSN credit for £25. With the deals going on I'm thinking I'm gonna get:

Driveclub VR
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Robinson: The Journey (heard this wasn't quite worth the asking price, but it's £20 now)

Don't have many VR games so far (Psychonauts, Rez, Polybius, RE7). Anyone got any recommended changes to my basket? Was thinking Superhot instead of Robinson but I dunno, I can't see myself ever buying Robinson once it goes back up to it's full asking price...

I really loved Driveclub but can't recomment the VR-version, too blurry and nothin special.

crispyben

A very generous GAFer donated a pair of PS Move, and I managed to change the batteries. Both turn on and sync with the PS4, but only one lights up (the other sphere stays blank). I tried resetting it, no dice. Is there any specific place I should look for damage/telltale signs? Any idea/advice? I'd really like to play Superhot VR... Thanks!

Wollan

I enjoyed Farpoint. It really picked up in the second half with some proper sci-fi action. The story characters was quite well acted. The game is not upper-tier like Resident Evil 7 but it was definitely solid.
The PSVR as a platform definitely has an occlusion problem when it comes to fine-aiming since you have to put the Aim-controller up to your face which causes the gun tracking to stall at certain angles so I resolved a lot to hip fire (even with the sniper rifle). Ultimately that leaves other categories of VR games (gamepad controlled or more arms free) feeling more refined.

DF2_nGSWsAEHsPF.jpg:large

DF2_pA0XsAQgdMd.jpg:large

A bit more spoilery images from second half:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF2_ivOXgAYjxN8.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF2_k7oW0AIwi11.jpg:large

I enjoyed Farpoint. It really picked up in the second half with some proper sci-fi action. The story characters was quite well acted. The game is not upper-tier like Resident Evil 7 but it was definitely solid.
The PSVR as a platform definitely has an occlusion problem when it comes to fine-aiming since you have to put the Aim-controller up to your face which causes the gun tracking to stall at certain angles so I resolved a lot to hip fire (even with the sniper rifle). Ultimately that leaves other categories of VR games (gamepad controlled or more arms free) feeling more refined.

You aren't really supposed to have the Aim so close to the headset, the developers made it so you could be able to aim through the sight (in-game) by shoulder height so the occlusion you mention doesn't happen, did you configure your height properly?, that doesn't happen with mine.

In other news, PAVR coming August 15:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pavrgame/status/891085679660158976

Dirt rally vr

So I picked up dirt rally and love it on the tv, tried the vr for the rally cross race (PS4 pro) and after three 4 lap heats ripped off the headset turned off the console and left the room it took about an hour to get back to 90% of normal.
I am not someone who gets whoozy playing FPS titles, any of fhem. Yes dirt is good in VR, good tracking, good eye position and realistic albeit with some aliasing on horizontal edges,
but wow I can't imagine anyone fine tuning their records or winning leagues this way, is that what people are doing? If so did you immediately feel comfortable, or start similarly, and just pushed through and got used to it? The track corners arent so bad but when the car heaves due to bumps and ripple strips, my brain is like .. nope.

Loudninja

VR games for next week:

CastleStorm VR Edition
Catapult yourself onto the battlefield like never before in CastleStorm VR, an exciting new take on the tower-defense action-RPG phenomenon! Pit knights, soldiers, archers, and even griffins against formidable foes in full VR castle versus castle combat.

Dino Frontier

Build and manage a frontier settlement in a world where the wild west and jurassic collide. Dino Frontier is a virtual reality simulation where players assume the role of Big Mayor. They must carefully balance resources while growing their town and surviving bandit attacks.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/28/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-812017/

bumpkin

Is RE7 playable sitting down?
I played the game exclusively sitting down.

Dirt rally vr

So I picked up dirt rally and love it on the tv, tried the vr for the rally cross race (PS4 pro) and after three 4 lap heats ripped off the headset turned off the console and left the room it took about an hour to get back to 90% of normal.
I am not someone who gets whoozy playing FPS titles, any of fhem. Yes dirt is good in VR, good tracking, good eye position and realistic albeit with some aliasing on horizontal edges,
but wow I can't imagine anyone fine tuning their records or winning leagues this way, is that what people are doing? If so did you immediately feel comfortable, or start similarly, and just pushed through and got used to it? The track corners arent so bad but when the car heaves due to bumps and ripple strips, my brain is like .. nope.
I don't know, I didn't have any such issues with Dirt Rally and I've played it for quite a few hours. The same with Drive Club VR.

ChouGoku

Archangel's ending was kind of iffy but good game none the less. Once you get all the systems it is hard to manage at first but gets easier. Graphics are in the top tier in terms of IQ. I hope there are DLC levels later. The only complaint is the price, I would say $30 would be a better price for this game. Hopefully there is a Gundam, or Megazord game because controlling a giant mech is fun.

Looks much better than dirt rally to me.

Yeah GTS VR mode is looking really good, shame they limited it to 1 vs 1 racing but that's probably why it looks so good, less cars on screen to keep the graphical quality high in VR. Should still be fun though, I'm looking forward to playing it.

MattAces

Try turning off your PS4, if it turns off, then maybe it was just a hiccup, maybe?
Turning off is fine, but in rest mode it will remain in white and it's actually heating up my PS4. Weird that I never had this problem, only if there's a download it will remain white in rest mode.

Turning off is fine, but in rest mode it will remain in white and it's actually heating up my PS4. Weird that I never had this problem, only if there's a download it will remain white in rest mode.

That is weird. Did you try unplugging the PU and PS4 for 5 seconds to see if it resets itself?

I don't know, I didn't have any such issues with Dirt Rally and I've played it for quite a few hours. The same with Drive Club VR.

Do you race competitively in vr vs your tv times or just for fun, for the immersion?

I must more than averagely sensitive, battlezone was less queasy, driveclub was more so, but to work on a rally stage under VR or a championship is a long time under so the slightest discomfort adds up

crispyben

A very generous GAFer donated a pair of PS Move, and I managed to change the batteries. Both turn on and sync with the PS4, but only one lights up (the other sphere stays blank). I tried resetting it, no dice. Is there any specific place I should look for damage/telltale signs? Any idea/advice? I'd really like to play Superhot VR... Thanks!
So I figured out what happened: the solder attaching the power for the LED module to the motherboard ruptured :( I have neither the means nor the skills to do anything about it, does anyone have an idea or the ability to fix this? The controller seems to work perfectly otherwise, it'd be a shame for it to go to waste...

EDIT: here's an image

Grinchy

Banned
So I figured out what happened: the solder attaching the power for the LED module to the motherboard ruptured :( I have neither the means nor the skills to do anything about it, does anyone have an idea or the ability to fix this? The controller seems to work perfectly otherwise, it'd be a shame for it to go to waste...

EDIT: here's an image

I don't have any real help for you, but I've always wanted to get into soldering for fun. From what little I know, you can start with a really cheap kit and it's not actually all that difficult.

Maybe spending only ~$20 on the soldering kit might make the free controllers less worth it, I don't know.

McCHitman

Banned

Theres a setting for Rest mode that says something about, 'supply power to usb for XX amount of hours',

Change that and see if it stops this.

Maligna

Banned
The PSVR as a platform definitely has an occlusion problem when it comes to fine-aiming since you have to put the Aim-controller up to your face which causes the gun tracking to stall at certain angles so I resolved a lot to hip fire (even with the sniper rifle).

That's why the game suggests putting the camera above the TV. So when you put the gun to your face there is less chance of obscuring the lights.

bumpkin

Do you race competitively in vr vs your tv times or just for fun, for the immersion?

I must more than averagely sensitive, battlezone was less queasy, driveclub was more so, but to work on a rally stage under VR or a championship is a long time under so the slightest discomfort adds up
Both (competitively and for fun) in VR. Granted I do take caution not to flip or roll much.

mattmanp

I am so in for Legion Commander. Was disappointed Lunar Stone is some kind of shooting gallery. It's on steam and looks not what I imagined. Rest I need to know more about but neat there is a VR hotbed in China.

Wollan

That's why the game suggests putting the camera above the TV. So when you put the gun to your face there is less chance of obscuring the lights.
I tried with a tripod in one session (higher than TV) but it freaked out more than it did sitting below it so I reverted back. I'm sure there's a position that will minimize the chance for occlusion but I could only bother so much. Unfortunately I can see a good portion of users like me (and less dedicated than me) just 'living' with these occlusion problems until PSVR2 and more infantry-proof technology arrives.

After playing superhot at a friends house just now (on his oculus) I just put down money for a psvr and superhot

I have been saving up for it anyway but had been hoping for a deal - nothing has come up in the last few months and I guess playing superhot made me impulsive

Can anyone just confirm what the performance is like - I'm deadly worries the hardware won't let it play anywhere near as well as the move controllers don't seem to be on par with the touchs?

Performance does seem to get touched on by a lot of reviews so someone please someone take my anxiety away by telling me superhot is awesome on psvr

MattAces

After playing superhot at a friends house just now (on his oculus) I just put down money for a psvr and superhot

I have been saving up for it anyway but had been hoping for a deal - nothing has come up in the last few months and I guess playing superhot made me impulsive

Can anyone just confirm what the performance is like - I'm deadly worries the hardware won't let it play anywhere near as well as the move controllers don't seem to be on par with the touchs?

Performance does seem to get touched on by a lot of reviews so someone please someone take my anxiety away by telling me superhot is awesome on psvr

Performance is never a problem in any VR game. The first criteria of making a PSVR game is solid framerate. 60 reprojected to 120, or 90 and 120fps native. The graphics however, varies. With a proper setup, you can achieve a pretty decent standing mini-roomscale, which is required by Superhot VR. And the trick is to have a camera setup in a high spot pointing down, standing far enough.

Rainer70

Has anyone been induced in what a friend of mine calls a "VR trance"? For him it was bumping into tables after being out of VR. I thought he was BSing because we had just watched the "PTSDee" episode of Always Sunny where Mac and Frank got PTSD after killing women and children in VR.

Anyway I finished the campaign of SuperHot tonight and it was great. I moved on to endless mode and that's even better (and a fun workout). It was maybe a 2 hour session, my longest VR sesh yet.

I've been off for about 45 minutes and whenever I close my eyes I feel like I'm still in SuperHot, and it doesn't help that
you're in a VR game in SuperHot
and it makes the experience feel that much more immersive. I'm closing my eyes and feel that slight vertigo feeling of slashing/shooting/dodging in slow motion. It doesn't help that the screen goes black after you're shot in the face. I think anyone who's experienced this knows it's an incredibly strange and uncomfortable feeling, but again incredibly immersive.

Joystick

So I figured out what happened: the solder attaching the power for the LED module to the motherboard ruptured :( I have neither the means nor the skills to do anything about it, does anyone have an idea or the ability to fix this?

Just stick the wire in place in contact with the solder. e.g. strip a small section of the end of the wire so that a small amount is exposed (if it snapped/isn't already exposed) then carefully sticky tape it to the correct location being careful not to touch the wire on any other metallic points then bind with tight tape to keep it in place then carefully put back together.

DagsJT

Loaded up Keep Talking last night, friend had the headset on and could see the bomb. The TV was saying to press X to show the manual but no matter how many times we pressed X, nothing happened. Restarted the game a few times but same problem.

Anyone experienced that before?

Top Bottom