• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

shaneo632

probably an hour into Theseus and its meh so far. What really shines in this game is the atmosphere, it really makes me want a VR remasters with God of War and Uncharted. VR is so atmospheric, entering towns and dungeons would be amazing with so many 3rd person games. The combat in this game lacks any weight and is boring so far, hopefully they add more to make it more fun.

If you're an hour in you're probably near the end, sadly.

qanters

Really tired at work today as I was up past midnight playing Werewolves Within with a group of people. Such a fun game, possibly my favorite on PSVR so far!

Also, has anyone been playing Dino Frontier? is it any good?

MattAces

it seems to be as good as we expected it to be

Yea, I don't see why people would doubt the studio behind Dino Frontier. But length was the only concern, seeing it's a $30 game. This review suggest the game isn't short, or at least there will be replayability. Hopefully there's more than one mode or even an endless mode.

crispyben

Damn on the retro fix.

You need more distance from the camera. The camera's view is conical so if you can get 8'/2.5m+ distance you should be ok. Use the "check your surroundings" video when launching the game to check if you can be seen head to toe.

You don't need the camera to see the floor too, you can reach down and grab a gun without actually reaching it (doesn't always work as quickly as you'd like but does usually work as long as you're pointing at it). I have mine so it can see my moves when my hands are raised and lowered and it works pretty well (unless you forget yourself and take a few steps forward).
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions, I guess I'll go with #2 first as it's more in line with what I can do without moving too many pieces of furniture around...

Sorry it didn't work out.
That's OK, you actually gave me an excuse to procure them in the end :p

MattAces

yikes, was too good to be true

Ehh, it's FDev afterall. As someone who has been playing Elite Dangerous for years, I'm used to it. Whenever they said something about "we're looking into it", that means it will never come. The entire game is consist of a lot of abandoned feature/module introduced in every major update. They had a government system in game where it became obsolete and nobody cares about it. Then one of the major patch was a PVP arena mode, dead in a week and they didn't bother reviving it. And then there's the multi-crew feature in the last major update, people barely use it. The best thing about the game is ship customization and combat.

I like Dino Frontier and enjoyed my time with it, but I'd be very careful if you're planning to buy it. It's very expensive for what it is.

Written review: http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/dino_frontier

Dino Frontier’s fun for the few hours you’ll wring out of it, but it could have been so much more. The game is bursting with brilliant ideas, but it never really evolves any of them, leaving an experience that expires long before the cold clutches of extinction have had an opportunity to arise. It’s a shame because with a bit more time in the saloon this could have been a classic – but you may want to wait until it's half-price before pulling the trigger on this release.

Video review with PS4 Pro gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hc4gIosfw4

TheMan

Disappointed with the Dino game being undercooked, but I I wasn't super stoked by the pre release footage anyway.

Also, where's mah ultrawings? Need that shit yesterday.

MattAces

Disappointed with the Dino game being undercooked, but I I wasn't super stoked by the pre release footage anyway.

Also, where's mah ultrawings? Need that shit yesterday.

I would reserve judgement until actual hands on by more people. Not saying reviewers are wrong, but they were pretty brutal towards Wayward Sky too.

Also Farpoint was reviewed pretty mediocre across the board compared to everybody's opinion everywhere.

Skittles

Shame about dino, was about to insta buy. Seems to be plagued by the same problem as job sim. No actual free play mode to extend the life of the game. Hopefully the devs listen and throw a free play/expansion pack up

While I was playing Dino Frontier I was having a great time, but it very quickly slumps into a routine, and then it's all over before you know it. It's a shame because there's something there, it just needs fattening up a bit.

I got the Platinum in three 70 minute sessions, and honestly I could have done it in two if I knew where all the collectibles were.

I just think it's too expensive for what it is, personally.

MattAces

Seems decent enough, few lower scores but there must be something good about it for it to get the higher scores, so will still be picking this one up.

If money is a problem, then wait for players feedback. $30 is a lot, but pre-order $24 is fair for me.
For VR games, I will always reserve judgment to myself until I've tried it and know what I'm getting into. I go to VR reviews for two things, whether it tracks well or is it broken. If I've listened to reviewers, I would've missed out Mortal Blitz, Dick Wilde, Farpoint, Wayward Sky and Arizona Sunshine.

j^aws

Has anyone else tried Wipeout Omega Collection in cinematic mode? Holy shit that looks awesome, especially in cockpit view on the largest screen.

Yep, it's now my preferred method of playing. Even though Wipeout is not in VR, its 1st-person view and the largest screen mode setting with the headset is immensely satisfying, despite being lower resolution. Makes me desperatly want a real VR version and watch my eyeballs melt.

MattAces

readout_4.jpg

readout_3.jpg

readout_2.jpg

readout_5.jpg

Trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kywajcKBaHc

Full Q&A
http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/report...nol-psvr-que-nos-hara-combatir-espacio-157952

MattAces

World War Toons devs are teasing Aim support in the live release: https://www.facebook.com/worldwartoons/posts/1943895729220808

Only a week left of the beta

I loved the game in Beta but it was difficult to want to go back once I'd played Farpoint; Aim support would be awesome, and because it's cross-play with normal PS4 the player base should be good.

Tips to convince me into playing a game:
Step 1: Aim support.
Step 2: I'm in.

After Wayward Sky, which was stellar, Im willing to take a chance on Dino Frontier. I won't be able to play it until next week though (family vacation.)

Has anyone else tried Wipeout Omega Collection in cinematic mode? Holy shit that looks awesome, especially in cockpit view on the largest screen.
I have and it's totally rad. It's a real shame that the team either couldn't (or chose not to) implement a VR mode. I'd have happily paid $20 more for it.

bumpkin

Just played dino frontier and its freaking amazing lol.
Assuming my PS4 didn't lose its mind and is still handling standby downloads correctly, I should have Dino Frontier waiting for me at home. Hopefully I can give it a whirl tonight. I glanced at the scores and conclusions on a handful of reviews and they seem to be all over the place. I think it was the same for Wayward Sky and I absolutely loved that.

shaneo632

After Wayward Sky, which was stellar, Im willing to take a chance on Dino Frontier. I won't be able to play it until next week though (family vacation.)

I have and it's totally rad. It's a real shame that the team either couldn't (or chose not to) implement a VR mode. I'd have happily paid $20 more for it.

Totally, that'd be ace.

Heartfyre

Played enough Dino Frontier that I got to the point when I was asking myself, "So when does the next level start? I've been in the prologue mission for a while". A quick look at the trophy list made me realise I had lofty expectations.

It's superb for what it is, though. Traversal over the map is unlike any other method I've seen in VR. It's a surprisingly physical experience, too, moving resources around. Like every resource-management game, such as The Settlers, it's really satisfying to build up an industry of sorts.

It's just the kind of game that, at that price, should have a reasonably lengthy single-player campaign. I've not hit the end, but I can see it from here. I don't think I'll feel gipped with the pre-order discount, but I'm disappointed the developer couldn't make a more ambitious game for the asking price. So many great ideas, and not enough room in the game to have them breathe.

Hey all,

So superhotVR is def the real deal, great, great fun and up there with the best psvr games. I'm having major wobble issues I never have on any of the other games though.

Ive had occasional wobble world in others before but never this bad or this consistent. Any time I step forward in the little office room the whole world shifts with me. it happens some in the actual sequences but it's never been this bad in any game, and it seems to happen almost exclusively with superhot.

I played all of farpoint, re7, batman, rush of blood, etc and have never got any world shift/wobble. Any idea what could be causing it?

Or is this a common issue with this game?

ckohler

Hey all,

So superhotVR is def the real deal, great, great fun and up there with the best psvr games. I'm having major wobble issues I never have on any of the other games though.

Ive had occasional wobble world in others before but never this bad or this consistent. Any time I step forward in the little office room the whole world shifts with me. it happens some in the actual sequences but it's never been this bad in any game, and it seems to happen almost exclusively with superhot.

I played all of farpoint, re7, batman, rush of blood, etc and have never got any world shift/wobble. Any idea what could be causing it?

Or is this a common issue with this game?

A) Are you stepping outside your camera's view? Use the "Check my position" PSVR feature to be sure.

B) Are you obscuring the headset lights when you reach for things? This game has a bad habit of putting things directly in front of your headset so when you reach for them you block the lights. You can raise your camera up higher so reaching in front of your face doesn't block the camera's view of the headset lights.

ChouGoku

Archangel- what's PSVR Gaf's opinion of this, those who bought it? I keep thinking to pick it up..

I liked Archangel, its a pretty fun rail shooter. Pretty short, beat it in about 5 or so hours. Its costs come from its production, I would say its a very well produced game. Graphics are very sharp (Pro), sound is pretty good, and the atmosphere is great. It is very story based, the story was cool at the very least it kept me engaged. Piloting a mech is very fun, and they do a slight delay with the mech's arms which adds to the immersion.

If money is a problem, then wait for players feedback. $30 is a lot, but pre-order $24 is fair for me.
For VR games, I will always reserve judgment to myself until I've tried it and know what I'm getting into. I go to VR reviews for two things, whether it tracks well or is it broken. If I've listened to reviewers, I would've missed out Mortal Blitz, Dick Wilde, Farpoint, Wayward Sky and Arizona Sunshine.

For me, reviews are just a way to get more info on the game, how it looks, how it plays, features ect but the scores (especially mixed scores) are not normally the deciding factor on if I buy a game or not, unless all the review scores are really low, as that normally is a good hint that a game is crap.

I will be picking up Dino Frontier like I said, although it's £29.99 here, so might wait a while to get it, as I've got other games I want to get, in the summer sale before that ends.

MattAces

ShadowCore VR for PSVR
19601136_1887606351564812_7869036283643740905_n.jpg

20604563_1908938742764906_5271236067811566027_n.jpg

20621205_1909239406068173_5435921998374599221_n.jpg

Shadowcore is a VR-only game, where players navigate the industrial environments with the help of an HMD and two handheld controllers. The main controller is used for aiming and shooting, while the off-hand controller allows you to interact with the environment and position your shield. allows you to interact & grab some part of the environment and use it as a shield. Movement uses a teleport system to reduce motion sickness and create a comfortable, convincing virtual reality experience. The teleport reticle can be positioned anywhere in the world you can see. It’s a green circle if the destination is a valid position and a red X if it’s not. Tapping a button on the main controller triggers the teleport. Teleporting is virtually instantaneous—a brief blur—but comes with a cooldown. Depending on the class you play It can takes 1 to 3 seconds for your suit to recharge before you can teleport again. Pick between three characters based on your playing style. Each character class has two weapon types to cycle through, giving you different options for different tactical situations. You have infinite ammo, but limited clip size, making reloading an important part of gameplay. When you’re killed in any of the 5 3 game modes, you respawn back at your base after a 10 second cooldown. You can pick 1v1, 3v3 or 5v5 as the number of players in the game. Interact with the environment around you by grabbing and using objects to your advantage. The shield mechanic gives combat an offense/defence cadence that makes up your limited mobility. Plan your strategy and rely on your character’s special set of skills to increase your survival odds.

Coming to PSVR by the end of this year, yes. We'll ship this game to steam in 1~2 months. For PvP, there's only free locomotion. For AI mode, we'll combine teleport with free locomotion.

The gameplay itself is playing with two weapons. One for each hand. And there's two hand grip for each weapon. We'll surely support AIM for PSVR version.
We'll keep you updated on our page.
Thank you very much for your interest.
https://www.facebook.com/ShadowCore...=1909150352743745&comment_tracking={"tn":"R"}

More images: https://www.facebook.com/ShadowCoreVR/
More info: https://www.serebrumlab.com/#/home

Has there ever been a significant sale on PSVR yet? I have 2 move controllers from PS3 days, so think I could go with the core system and just buy the camera which can be had for pretty cheap.

But even $50 would be nice.

MattAces

Has there ever been a significant sale on PSVR yet? I have 2 move controllers from PS3 days, so think I could go with the core system and just buy the camera which can be had for pretty cheap.

Yea, you should be able to find $50 or $100 off from the full price easily. There's at least 4 or 5 discount in the past 2 months.

Random question for those of you who have demoed psvr to others - As someone who hasn't ever suffered from travel sickness I am trying to be mindful of the issues someone may go through when just getting their vr legs

For example I found locomotion in resident evil fine but someone else I know was almost immediately dizzy

Essentially what are the best games to use to demo psvr to newbies to test/ build up their vr legs? I'm inclined to immediately throw people into resident evil/ superhot but maybe something like rush of blood is a better starting point?

I've seen Amazon and Best Buy sell this thing routinely for $350.

Random question for those of you who have demoed psvr to others - As someone who hasn't ever suffered from travel sickness I am trying to be mindful of the issues someone may go through when just getting their vr legs

For example I found locomotion in resident evil fine but someone else I know was almost immediately dizzy

Essentially what are the best games to use to demo psvr to newbies to test/ build up their vr legs? I'm inclined to immediately throw people into resident evil/ superhot but maybe something like rush of blood is a better starting point?

Superhot should be fine as there's no locomotion whilst the roller coaster in Rush of Blood makes my missus queasy. The Playroom VR is full of good looking & easy to play games to experience the wow factor of VR, and stuff like the Ocean Descent is good to demo to non gamers if you have VR Worlds. If you don't want to risk making people feel dodgy then just keep clear of games that involve controller based movement.

I've been having a battle with myself over whether or not I want to play RE7. I've only played RE4 and loved it but towards the end I just wanted it to be over since I just couldn't handle the tension.

I downloaded the RE7 Beginning Hour demo and played through it once normally. I was pretty tense but it wasn't too bad. So last night I decided to try it in VR. Holy shit that was some of the most intense feeling I've experienced from a game. I didn't even finish the demo despite knowing what would happen. Well, for the most part. I found a place I didn't encounter the first time through and just pretty much noped right out.

So, to those who played through it in VR, I give you all a bunch of respect because damn I couldn't do it.

Anyways, enough babble, I'm pretty sick of my VR giving me tracking issues to the location so I want to try this mic stand option people are talking about. Can anybody share which mic stand they went with? I want to order one ASAP

Top Bottom