• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Random question for those of you who have demoed psvr to others - As someone who hasn't ever suffered from travel sickness I am trying to be mindful of the issues someone may go through when just getting their vr legs

For example I found locomotion in resident evil fine but someone else I know was almost immediately dizzy

Essentially what are the best games to use to demo psvr to newbies to test/ build up their vr legs? I'm inclined to immediately throw people into resident evil/ superhot but maybe something like rush of blood is a better starting point?

Start them off slow and introduce them to different movement mechanics, types of interactivity and intensity levels. Tell them if they are feeling slightly odd to take the headset off. Same goes for fatigue. I try limit the first time for people to around two hours with breaks in between games for the first time so they don't get overload from quickly switching between them and doesn't put too much strain on the eyes. Basically do what the old manuals in early gaming products recommended. Younger and fitter they are especially if they have good balance the quicker they seem to adapt.

Random question for those of you who have demoed psvr to others - As someone who hasn't ever suffered from travel sickness I am trying to be mindful of the issues someone may go through when just getting their vr legs

For example I found locomotion in resident evil fine but someone else I know was almost immediately dizzy

Essentially what are the best games to use to demo psvr to newbies to test/ build up their vr legs? I'm inclined to immediately throw people into resident evil/ superhot but maybe something like rush of blood is a better starting point?

So for non gamers go Ocean Decent for VR Worlds otherwise I use the Kitchen demo followed by either rush of blood or playroom/ocean decent depending if they got scared or not.

Both are quick enough and demo the tech nicely for younger people will use gary the gull. Think 5 mins and take the headset off and see if they want to continue works the best, most want to play more!

Thanks for the advice guys! Really excited to throw people into the headset and blow their minds with vr - without actually blowing out their senses :p

I've been having a battle with myself over whether or not I want to play RE7. I've only played RE4 and loved it but towards the end I just wanted it to be over since I just couldn't handle the tension.

I downloaded the RE7 Beginning Hour demo and played through it once normally. I was pretty tense but it wasn't too bad. So last night I decided to try it in VR. Holy shit that was some of the most intense feeling I've experienced from a game. I didn't even finish the demo despite knowing what would happen. Well, for the most part. I found a place I didn't encounter the first time through and just pretty much noped right out.

So, to those who played through it in VR, I give you all a bunch of respect because damn I couldn't do it.

Anyways, enough babble, I'm pretty sick of my VR giving me tracking issues to the location so I want to try this mic stand option people are talking about. Can anybody share which mic stand they went with? I want to order one ASAP

I'm in exactly the same boat haha - I loved alien isolation but doing something as intense inside vr seems like a recipe for disaster - a part of me worries that I could alter my mindset as stupid as that sounds heh

A part of me wants to get it and stream myself playing and hope I get people watching to help take some of the tension out of it

*Splinter

The heist thing from VR worlds seems a good introduction to VR. It's (mostly) stationary but more interactive than Ocean Descent.

ISee

The heist thing from VR worlds seems a good introduction to VR. It's (mostly) stationary but more interactive than Ocean Descent.

It's nice, but Batman VR has been able to blow away even the most hardcore VR skeptic that visited me. It needs some persuasion to make them try it while standing, but the reactions have always been amazing. Batman VR is able to sell the idea of entering another world and being able to interact with it, imo. It's a very good illusion.

I've been having a battle with myself over whether or not I want to play RE7. I've only played RE4 and loved it but towards the end I just wanted it to be over since I just couldn't handle the tension.

I downloaded the RE7 Beginning Hour demo and played through it once normally. I was pretty tense but it wasn't too bad. So last night I decided to try it in VR. Holy shit that was some of the most intense feeling I've experienced from a game. I didn't even finish the demo despite knowing what would happen. Well, for the most part. I found a place I didn't encounter the first time through and just pretty much noped right out.

So, to those who played through it in VR, I give you all a bunch of respect because damn I couldn't do it.

Anyways, enough babble, I'm pretty sick of my VR giving me tracking issues to the location so I want to try this mic stand option people are talking about. Can anybody share which mic stand they went with? I want to order one ASAP

My 1st playthrough was totally in vr and yea, the most intense gaming experience I've had in over 30 years of gaming. Absolutely incredible

It's nice, but Batman VR has been able to blow away even the most hardcore VR skeptic that visited me. It needs some persuasion to make them try it while standing, but the reactions have always been amazing. Batman VR is able to sell the idea of entering another world and being able to interact with it, imo. It's a very good illusion.

Interesting. I remember being blown away by my first go at it but i've had an overwhelming, "this is kinda boring" or "is there anything else to do" response from friends and family

MultiCore

I don't even like horror games, but I made myself play RE7 in VR.

I had to take my headphones off, and I had my wife reading from a walkthrough, and it was still so tense I had to take it slow and deliberate.

Definitely worth it.

After I finished, I thought to myself, "I'll beat it again on a harder difficulty, easy right?"

Nope, still can barely walk up the stairs with the headphones on. Heck, I can barely play the demo.

I need to go back and play it some more though. Great experience.

Daezuel

I adore Dino Frontier and this typically isn't the type of game I'd be interested in. I haven't reached the end yet though I put in a good amount of time yesterday.

It's disappointing to hear it's short, but the game itself is wonderful. Here is to hoping they release more content, heck I'm all in for content DLC.

I've already got Dirt Rally and Driveclub VR. Any other racing game I should be on the lookout for? I'm really aching for a driving simulator on PSVR but looks like even GT Sport won't be it with its limited VR mode...

My 1st playthrough was totally in vr and yea, the most intense gaming experience I've had in over 30 years of gaming. Absolutely incredible

This for me too, After years and year of games, Personally for me my golden era was the ps1, So many great memories. But playing Resident Evil 7 in VR tops them all, The immersion and sense of presence is unreal. You feel like Chris/Jill in Resi 1 walking around the mansion.

Farpoint is also a good shout for immersion/Presence.

Grinchy

Banned
RE7 in VR blew my mind the same way that Mario 64 did back when I got a N64. It is painful to read posts from people saying they don't want to play it in VR or they played it in 2D first.

j^aws

Anyone try Bound in VR?

Tried the demo and it's my first game with a 3rd-person view, and I'm mesmerised. It has advanced camera options and amazing art direction. I actually feel like I am the camera - following and controlling the character with presence. Just jumping around the world brings a smile.

border

RE7 in VR blew my mind the same way that Mario 64 did back when I got a N64. It is painful to read posts from people saying they don't want to play it in VR or they played it in 2D first.

I thought RE7 was okay in VR, but you feel kinda gimped in terms of mobility. And the image quality is astoundingly terrible. It looks so much shockingly better in normal mode, I could see myself wanting to just play it that way.

tr00per

Anyone try Bound in VR?

Tried the demo and it's my first game with a 3rd-person view, and I'm mesmerised. It has advanced camera options and amazing art direction. I actually feel like I am the camera - following and controlling the character with presence. Just jumping around the world brings a smile.

Yes it's fantastic. For a full cinematic experience (groans in the distance) use stationary 2

MultiCore

Anyone try Bound in VR?

Yeah, I bought it, completed it, messed with the speed running stuff a bit.

It's a great experience, moreso than it is a game.

The full version is Pro enhanced, if that's a factor for you.

I thought RE7 was okay in VR, but you feel kinda gimped in terms of mobility. And the image quality is astoundingly terrible. It looks so much shockingly better in normal mode, I could see myself wanting to just play it that way.

This is why you never look at it oustside of VR mode! ;)
Some day, we'll have the headsets and processing power to match the quality of the 2D mode. Until that day, I'm still very pleased with what RE7 gave us.

I've already got Dirt Rally and Driveclub VR. Any other racing game I should be on the lookout for? I'm really aching for a driving simulator on PSVR but looks like even GT Sport won't be it with its limited VR mode...

The only other driving games I'm aware of are VR Karts (avoid) and trackmania which is pretty good (if you can stomach it). The IQ is probably the best of any driving game in VR but it all about time trials, no racing.

joeblow

Getting 100% green medals in TrackmaniaVR remains one of my enjoyable PSVR gaming experiences so far. The graphics are great, and there is no motion sickness because how it handles camera angles and zoom.

The add on is free, but you have to own the non VR game (which is often on sale, like it is right now). Yes, it is all solo racing, but you can at least go against ghosts of your best times if you wish.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-dino-frontier-452415.phtml
Dino Frontier 8/10 from Destructoid.
They've always been very harsh on VR games score.

Tried this game yesterday and felt the sickest I've ever been from VR. Something was wrong with the position of my virtual hands in the game, instead of in front of me they were over and pointing to the left. Was very disorienting. I want to try it again soon but after that I'm kinda scared because I do NOT want to feel like that again.

border

What other games should I pick up right now? Currently have re7, superhot, starblood, until dawn, and job sim

Get Polybius and Rez Infinite, and you will pretty much own all the "Must Have" titles.

I would give Farpoint a try if you can find a bundle that includes the gun.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone try Bound in VR?

I wish I liked it more. It's gorgeous and is such a visual spectacle, but IMO it's a bad game in that there is no game to it.

majik13

What other games should I pick up right now? Currently have re7, superhot, starblood, until dawn, and job sim

Star Trek, if you have friends to play with, randos are generally good too.
Farpoint if you can find the bundle.
Batman is good too, though short.

j^aws

Hmm, so I just found out Bound is a platforming speedrunning game... I consider that a game of speed trials; much like a racer of the Rally kind, it's about finding the fastest racing line from A to B. I'll pick it up.

Can a steering wheel be used with Driveclub VR?

Yep. I use my G27 on PS4 through GIMX. Pretty easy to make your own adapter and it works perfect, even the force feedback.

The only other driving games I'm aware of are VR Karts (avoid) and trackmania which is pretty good (if you can stomach it). The IQ is probably the best of any driving game in VR but it all about time trials, no racing.
Consider me immune to VR motion sickness. I have never experienced even the slightest hint of it.

That said, I really don't like the Trackmania camera. I tried the demo and the game is at its best when it goes into bonnet cam mode. I don't really dig the fixed camera stuff. The fact that the VR mode is a separate, smaller "experience" doesn't help either.

I really hope Project Cars 2 gets a full PSVR mode... Dirt Rally is the best PSVR racing game by a good margin.

MattAces

Tried this game yesterday and felt the sickest I've ever been from VR. Something was wrong with the position of my virtual hands in the game, instead of in front of me they were over and pointing to the left. Was very disorienting. I want to try it again soon but after that I'm kinda scared because I do NOT want to feel like that again.

That is definitely a restart PS4 situation. I got the same exact problem with Spider-man VR experience and was wondering what's wrong. One of my hand is poorly tracked and flying all over the place, turning wrong direction. After restarting it, fixed all my issue.

I feel the opposite. Vr mode in RE7 destroyed the 2D game. Image quality is not only about crispness. Vr mode is a huge step forward both visualy and as an experience. like 4-5 generations ahead of the 2D mode imo.

ffvorax

I feel the opposite. Vr mode in RE7 destroyed the 2D game. Image quality is not only about crispness. Vr mode is a huge step forward both visualy and as an experience. like 4-5 generations ahead of the 2D mode imo.

I have to quote this.

I played all the game in VR and when I tried in 2D... I was disappointed.... it was almost unplayable to me, boring and not immersive at all in comparison!

I get used to the 2D, but every time I put back the PSVR on the game it was a wow experience again!

It's game changing in RE7. Totally different experience.

yeah, i thought it looks amazing in VR and added mobility as you could easily just tilt your head and shoot under tables or around corners for example. Assuming you use max move speed and smooth turning of course. None of that 30° turning bullshit :D

Consider me immune to VR motion sickness. I have never experienced even the slightest hint of it.

That said, I really don't like the Trackmania camera. I tried the demo and the game is at its best when it goes into bonnet cam mode. I don't really dig the fixed camera stuff. The fact that the VR mode is a separate, smaller "experience" doesn't help either.

I really hope Project Cars 2 gets a full PSVR mode... Dirt Rally is the best PSVR racing game by a good margin.

I'm one of the lucky ones too who doesn't get the motion sickness either (so far anyway) - it must suck to not be able to enjoy some of these games.

I didn't mind Trackmania's shifting camera but I recommended it to a mate who couldn't stand it (and it made him feel Ill).

I wouldn't get your hopes up for project cars 2 appearing on PSVR sadly, they haven't confirmed anything and probably would have to make too many cuts to get it to run properly. Dirt Rally only has 5 cars at most on a tiny track.

thenameDS

After some hectic weeks of work and other commitments finally had time to sit down and buy PSVR games on the digital sale.

Bought:
Batman Arkham VR
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Job Simulator
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Sports Bar VR
VR Worlds
Driveclub VR
Tumble VR

Still got £25.31 left in my wallet, not sure if I should buy more or save it.

After some hectic weeks of work and other commitments finally had time to sit down and buy PSVR games on the digital sale.

Bought:
Batman Arkham VR
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Job Simulator
Sports Bar VR
VR Worlds
Driveclub VR
Tumble VR

Still more decent VR games on sale, be rude not too. ;)

I'm one of the lucky ones too who doesn't get the motion sickness either (so far anyway) - it must suck to not be able to enjoy some of these games.

I didn't mind Trackmania's shifting camera but I recommended it to a mate who couldn't stand it (and it made him feel Ill).

I wouldn't get your hopes up for project cars 2 appearing on PSVR sadly, they haven't confirmed anything and probably would have to make too many cuts to get it to run properly. Dirt Rally only has 5 cars at most on a tiny track.

Yep for all the hate that DCVR got, at least it gives us a true VR racer that works pretty well inside the headset 80% of the time (night races suck ass)

serious lack of I Expect You To Die and Statik! :D Throw in Battlezone while at it.

Statik
Battlezone
IEYTD

In that order.

Yeah pretty much agree, Impossible to take 2D serious after playing it in VR, I'll only watch R7 streams on twitch/youtube if they play it in VR as the immersion is on another level, The ones i have watched so far are incredible reactions and remind me of what i felt playing it.

Keep your 4K/HDR and what not, There's nothing that can compare to VR when it is done right for immersion and putting you into the game world.

gmoran

They have said they are working on it:

Talking to Red Bull, Tudor stated that the team is “hard at work” on console VR support, but couldn’t confirm it would definitely be included. He reasoned that the studio needed to find a balance where the sacrifices made in performance and visuals to support PSVR weren’t affecting the gameplay at all.

So ultimately might not make it, but a bit premature to write it off at this time.

They have said they are working on it:

Talking to Red Bull, Tudor stated that the team is “hard at work” on console VR support, but couldn’t confirm it would definitely be included. He reasoned that the studio needed to find a balance where the sacrifices made in performance and visuals to support PSVR weren’t affecting the gameplay at all.

So ultimately might not make it, but a bit premature to write it off at this time.

Yeah maybe a bit premature but they also promised Project Cars 1 would support it and that didn't happen. It had a very variable frame rate on a TV so probably would've required too many cuts and optimisations to pay for itself. As the install base is bigger now there might be the justification to spend that time with PC2, I just doubt it personally.

Guppeth

Bought:
Batman Arkham VR
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Job Simulator
Sports Bar VR
VR Worlds
Driveclub VR
Tumble VR

Life is fleeting. Spend it all!

Dick Wilde £7.39
Statik £9.99
Pinball FX2 VR £6.49

Statik is pretty short, but you already bought Batman and Job Sim so I guess you don't mind.

i'll just ask here because some of you probably play Polybius (or if you dont, you should!)... how the hell do you use the "restart mode", that apparently allows you to continue where you left off in Classic mode? i dont get it lol. there's no other way i'll ever see all of the levels so i hope its actually there and i didnt read wrong...

Top Bottom