• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Edit* I don't understand Theseus being third person with VR... That's like Tekken 7 VR.
There's nothing wrong with third person games in VR. Try Robot Rescue in Playroom VR, or the Bound demo, for an example of it done right. The problem with Tekken 7 is VR is restricted to a practice mode in an empty arena and a character viewer. if the whole game was playable in VR from the game's usual perspective, I wouldn't be complaining.

Am I understanding Rez correctly in that you don't actually move your ship? I liked what I did get to do, though.
In the new Area X you directly control your avatar, but in the original 5 areas you only aim your reticle.

TheMan

anyone else experience significant drift in STBC? Played through a couple of tutorial last night and found the drift + shakiness to be irritating. Most of my other games don't have this issue.

Well that's a nice steady pace then :)
I know some will say that is not much, but it's not meant to be a mass consumer product yet:)

Cool, so PSVR is approaching 1.5 million sold, if the 429k figure is after the 915k we already know about, pretty decent numbers and killing it against Vive and Rift.

Big take away from this data is that Sony shipped close to the same number as Samsung's Gear VR which is currently the leading headset. Sony is positioning PSVR to be the market leader so more Devs will take notice to that and want to develop for it.

Even if PSVR doesn't manage to outsell Gear VR LTD, having PSVR ship equal amount of headsets to Gear VR puts a positive outlook on Sony's dedication and support to the platform.

Bolds well for the future.

Big take away from this data is that Sony shipped close to the same number as Samsung's Gear VR which is currently the leading headset. Sony is positioning PSVR to be the market leader so more Devs will take notice to that and want to develop for it.

Even if PSVR doesn't manage to outsell Gear VR LTD, having PSVR ship equal amount of headsets to Gear VR puts a positive outlook on Sony's dedication and support to the platform.

Bolds well for the future.

Indeed it does, developers really should be taking note of this, especially when looking at Vive and Rift numbers. Getting close to mobile VR numbers, with a much higher price tag is very impressive.

Hopefully Sony take this seriously too and keep up the support. I want to see a decent number of new VR games announced at E3.

Also improved VR controllers and a processor box that supports HDR passthrough would be very welcome fixes to the current hardware too.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Jeez Louise, I've never been scared by a game before until Rush of Blood and RE7 in VR. There's so much craziness going on. I'm sitting there
slicing the pie around corners with my pistol out, terrified of every noise. That chainsaw fight with Jack was just so visceral in VR.

I hope we see more full-length horror games in VR at E3.

MattAces

Steam video showed dual wielding. How can you dual with with just the aim controller? unless 2 move controllers are also capable.

Just like any other Aim supported games, the dev made extra guns exclusively for Aim controller. Brookhaven, Rom, Dick Wilde, DWVR, Arizona Sunshine, Dimension Hunter (still in testing apparently) and Demon Grade are supporting both dual wielding using Move, or a single rifle with Aim.

ffvorax

Finished RE7 in VR this weekend!

Fantastic game and experience. It became a lot less scary after you get more weapons, but still a lot of fun.

I tried without VR after finishing it, but the experience is not as fun... it's like a complete different game, and I can't enjoy it without VR...

Really if you can play horror games, BUY IT NOW. VR GOTY.

Ogni-XR21

If I have one wish for E3 it would be Sega announcing a bunch of Virtua games made with VR in mind. Give me Virtua Racing, Virtua Cop, Virtua Tennis, ... and add House of the Dead and Virtual On to the mix. Also Virtua Fighter would be nice (no pov, just regular VF which can be played in VR).

-griffy-

Banned
So I have been using the Power A stand with my PSVR. I like the small footprint and that it charges controllers, but the dang headset would always slip down and hang low because it sits on smooth plastic. So I used some Sugru to fix the problem. Drilled a couple holes in the front, split one pack of Sugru in two and molded them through the holes and shaped them into little pegs that the headset can rest on. Now the headset sits perfectly on the stand, no slipping.
Ka2gsoEh.jpg

ic7syQGh.jpg

qeH9edMh.jpg

So I have been using the Power A stand with my PSVR. I like the small footprint and that it charges controllers, but the dang headset would always slip down and hang low because it sits on smooth plastic. So I used some Sugru to fix the problem. Drilled a couple holes in the front, split one pack of Sugru in two and molded them through the holes and shaped them into little pegs that the headset can rest on. Now the headset sits perfectly on the stand, no slipping.

I noticed this issue too, and realized I just needed to push the visor part in (like you would while wearing to to adjust toward your face) to balance it out. Good solution though if it was still slipping for you or if you just don't want to deal with that extra hassle.

-griffy-

Banned
I noticed this issue too, and realized I just needed to push the visor part in (like you would while wearing to to adjust toward your face) to balance it out. Good solution though if it was still slipping for you or if you just don't want to deal with that extra hassle.

Yeah once the weather started to warm up it was slipping no matter what I did. I was at a hardware store looking at rubber or velcro, something to put on the plastic to add some friction, then saw Sugru and realized I had some at home and that would do the trick.

bumpkin

I have that stand too, I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't had any issue with it slipping or anything, but I always completely retract the band before I put it away.

My only complaint about it is it leaves cord management entirely up to the user, not that there's an elegant way to tuck a ten foot cable that also happens to be tethered to your PS4 though.

Joystick

'Breaking Bad’ Virtual Reality Project in the Works From Vince Gilligan

Vince Gilligan, creator of “Breaking Bad,” is teaming with Sony’s PlayStation division to create a non-game, virtual reality experience based on the iconic show.

Details on the project are still scarce. Sony won’t discuss which talent are attached to the experience, won’t say whether it will be episodic or a one-off or give a firm launch window (other than confirming it won’t release this year). While it’s still in the early stages, though, Gilligan is reportedly eager to explore storytelling in VR.

Because production tools for live-action 360 video are still primitive, the experience will be assembled using computer graphics and Sony’s game team will work with Gilligan to realize his vision.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/new...-in-the-works-from-vince-gilligan-1202453424/

I'm hoping for a true, Joshua Bell style, VR experience.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Dirt Rally in VR is so fun.

The biggest complaint is the huge graphics downgrade, but it's so much more fun in VR. I can't wait for the day of true HD VR.

Joystick

Credit to Boss Doggie:

PlayStation VR and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid team up for the upcoming movie.

The upcoming Kamen Rider summer movie called "Kamen Rider Ex-Aid: True Ending". Apparently takes place "some time after the events of the series" where Emu enters a VR world after ninjas have been infecting people with game disease. In this world he sees his friends and familiar faces but with different personalities and occupation, as well as the evil Kamen Rider Fuuma. Kuroto Dan provides him the VR machine as well as the Mighty Creator VRX gashat (based on VR games and creator games like Super Mairo Maker).

The movie has a partnership with Sony PlayStation. Apparently the movie is filmed with a 360-degree camera and will have a special release in Playstation VR.

http://news.mynavi.jp/articles/2017/06/05/kamenrider/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385757

Maligna

Banned
Anybody else's headset go blank for no reason and then just work again upon restarting the PS4?

I have video and audio drop outs probably every one out of ten times I use the machine on my Pro. Didn't have that issue on the original PS4. But I'm not willing to go back because of the Pro's significant graphical upgrades in VR.

Anybody else's headset go blank for no reason and then just work again upon restarting the PS4?

Yep it happens every now and then - if it doesn't come back on immediately then unplugging / replugging the adaptor box sorts the issue (you don't need to restart your Playstation).

My headset did go black and mute from time to time on orginal PS4 and Pro, but mostly just for a brief moment. Going into Home menu or taking the helmet off fixed it when it didn't go away by itself.

Probably some HDMI handshake issue or whatever.

MattAces

HO0hJAw.jpg

Just a quick comparison I threw together. Not a fair comparison of course since we have no idea if it's on the Pro and the output resolution for PC and PSVR are different.
At least there wasn't a huge downgrade.

I have video and audio drop outs probably every one out of ten times I use the machine on my Pro. Didn't have that issue on the original PS4. But I'm not willing to go back because of the Pro's significant graphical upgrades in VR.

Yep it happens every now and then - if it doesn't come back on immediately then unplugging / replugging the adaptor box sorts the issue (you don't need to restart your Playstation).

Do you have a PS4 Pro or an OG? It never happened with the OG but it happens consistently with the Pro.
Thanks you guys. OG PS4 here. I had the PSVR since launch and it happen for the first time a couple of days ago. This puts me at ease.

Top Bottom