• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Lol, I'm fairly confident you'll dig ��

I'll be curious to see what you think

Mervils is really universally praised. Even on Steam reviews. Too bad I'm on money crisis right now. One day maybe.
Speaking of Mervils, they REALLY should've made Knack 2 VR compatible. I can't believe they didn't do it. Would've bought without thinking.

jrcbandit

I'm incredibly disappointed with Arizona Sunshine Move controller support, I read it was good and it controls very poorly, no real moving backwards or strafing without using the awkward forward movement hand control(which means you can't fire any weapon in that hand). Why has only Windlands gotten it right with locomotion with the Move? I really hope the developers patch in an alternative Move scheme, the current iteration is just not fun. Just use the Windlands control scheme and replace the respawn triangle button with pickup item as triangle, and of course the triggers are still fire weapon.

MattAces

I'm incredibly disappointed with Arizona Sunshine Move controller support, I read it was good and it controls very poorly, no real moving backwards or strafing without using the awkward forward movement hand control(which means you can't fire any weapon in that hand). Why has only Windlands gotten it right with locomotion with the Move? I really hope the developers patch in an alternative Move scheme, the current iteration is just not fun. Just use the Windlands control scheme and replace the respawn triangle button with pickup item as triangle, and of course the triggers are still fire weapon.

Tweet Vertigo Games or email their support if you want them to get the message. But here's the list they posted previously in reddit. They acknowledged even more issues and solutions from twitter DM, so you should really do that.
support@vertigo-games.com

• Improving aiming down the sights with the PS VR aim controller
• Solutions to prevent ‘floating' due to lost PS VR tracking
• Adding a sprinting option for the PS Moves
• Adding an option to increase the turning speed
• Height calibration issues

Mars 2030 is coming July 11 for $15. Could be cool.

Become part of the first manned science mission to Mars, before it even happens! Visit the awe-inspiring, mysterious red planet and feel the excitement of being an astronaut, 34 million miles from home in a beautiful, realistic and accurately mapped virtual reality.

Experience what it's like to set foot on Mars and take in expansive vistas, accurately mapped and modeled using NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Hi Rise satellite data. Explore and study the planet’s geology, including its dangerous lava tubes, frozen lakes and impressive mountain peaks as you leave the safety of the astronaut Habitat. Uncover the terrain’s history while facing realistic weather conditions, atmospheric pressure, and Time of day. You can navigate the enormous environment wearing the actual spacesuit prototype being considered for the mission to Mars.

Features:

• Navigate the treacherous and beautiful landscape with your companion humanoid robot Valkyrie to collect samples and observe the off-limits Planetary Protection Zones.
  • Full Martian Time of Day Cycle
  • Analyze your findings in the Geolab workstation equipped with a VR Microscope, allowing you to carefully examine samples.
  • Face the daily challenge of operating, maintaining and repairing your equipment from the Habitat base, which has been modeled after the actual design from NASA Langley’s Evolvable Mars Campaign.
  • Get a first-hand, realistic look at all of the technologies considered for the mission to Mars or explore the Haley Simulations that allow you to see Mars as it was 4 billion years ago.

VR Features:

• Custom room-scale VR technology is used to maximize the Mars experience by featuring superior tracking to existing solutions.
  • Interactive VR music, recorded by the London Symphonic Orchestra, ensures that music plays under different emotional states, depending on where you look.
  • Ambisonic sound covers audio sources from every direction and propagates sound realistically.
  • Full support of motion controls make it easy for the user to operate their equipment and navigate the terrain.
  • Explore: Mars 2030 is built using a custom Unreal 4 game engine capable of producing the large scale environment at optimal framerates, pushing 8K resolution.
http://mars2030-vr.com/mission/

IS there a good site/resource to find a Farpoint bundle? I saw someone said they are starting to restock but still having a hard time over in Portland... I refuse to pay past MSRP.

Shoeless

Are they ever going to make more aim controllers? Or farpoint bundles...

I think Sony seriously underestimated the demand for the Aim controller/Farpoint bundle, but to be fair, I can't really blame them. They produced way more Move controllers during the PS3 era than they needed to, and usually peripherals have a historical trend of being low demand. They probably just ran the numbers and figured a safe production run would be to accommodate for, like, 15% of the PSVR user-base and cranked them out according to that, then went pale when they saw the actual demand.

sml_x

I picked up Mervils based on the recommendations in this thread and elsewhere, and I have to say I came away a tiny bit disappointed. It plays like a really ambitious grad school project, or a proof of concept for a more polished game. Some neat ideas, and plenty of content, but the physics and animations are pretty rough, and there is a lot of amateur voice acting, with stilted delivery, mispronounced words, and so on. The camera controls are also odd and take some getting used to. In those ways it's not unlike playing a PS1-era platformer. All in all, not bad, exactly, but I think if I'd watched a few videos before buying it, my expectations would've been more in line with reality.

The Robot Rescue platformer in Playroom VR is a much better showcase for what a 3D platformer can be in VR. If Mervils had that degree of polish, and that camera, it would really be something special.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
IS there a good site/resource to find a Farpoint bundle? I saw someone said they are starting to restock but still having a hard time over in Portland... I refuse to pay past MSRP.
I actually cancelled my Scalper bundle from Amazon just in time, as a store 30 miles from me had 1, count 'em 1, in stock. Only place in like 60 miles and God knows I looked. Brooksville, Florida Walmart if anyone nearby wants to see if they restock.

I felt like I was on a fucking Grail quest. I laughed out loud when I walked like a conquering hero into aisle 7. The staff acted like I was a madman, but gentlemen, it is a mad world when only madmen are victorious!

Seriously, these motherfuckers are rarer than hen's teeth.

Your supposed to be able to wear headphones with this, right? My pair of Sennheisers don't really feel like they will go over it and I don't want to force them.

Your supposed to be able to wear headphones with this, right? My pair of Sennheisers don't really feel like they will go over it and I don't want to force them.
Yeah they have to go over the head strap. Only way to know for sure is to try it. My PS platinum headphones work well.

The Dude

Wonder if it'd be worth having a VR sales thread.. Just solely based on and anything vr related for sales. Not sure, but I think it'd be helpful.

I put my headphones by sliding them back to front from the VR headset, works for me. Either other way feels like Ima break them.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Anyone here play Eve Online? I was set to buy a PSVR when Ace Combat 7 comes out, but now since it is not coming out until 2018, I am looking at Eve as my first VR game.

jrcbandit

Tweet Vertigo Games or email their support if you want them to get the message. But here's the list they posted previously in reddit. They acknowledged even more issues and solutions from twitter DM, so you should really do that.
support@vertigo-games.com

• Improving aiming down the sights with the PS VR aim controller
• Solutions to prevent ‘floating’ due to lost PS VR tracking
• Adding a sprinting option for the PS Moves
• Adding an option to increase the turning speed
• Height calibration issues

I sent my suggestions via email, thanks.

Wollan

Super Hot releasing in the U.K. July 17th so hopefully in the US around then too! So hyped!
Quite regularly regarded as the #1 game in the PC VR space. Will be interesting to see how good the port is.

Copy-pasted from Steam:
DICE Awards Immersive Reality Game of The Year 2017 Winner
New York Game Awards Best Virtual Reality Game 2017 Winner
Unity Vision Summit Virtual Reality Game 2017 Winner
Pixel.Awards Best Virtual Reality Game 2017 Winner
Digital Dragons Best Virtual Reality Game 2017 Winner
GDCA Best VR Game 2017 Nominee
SXSW Trending Game of the Year 2017 Nominee

PS. Game is discounted in Steam sale right now if you own a PC VR headset.

Wollan

The game is only 1 hour ~ 2 hour long.
So is REZ Infinite! ;)

"SUPERHOT VR now also includes the massive SUPERHOT FOREVER update, bringing hours of new replayable challenges, achievements and hardcore endless levels to SUPERHOT VR's time-bending gameplay, including:
- Test your aim where only headshots take out enemies.
- Race against your best scores in bullet-time and real-time.
- Try to complete the game without shooting.
- Get hardcore with faster enemies and less reaction time.

The game will test your limits. It will make you hurt. The good kind of pain. But at the end you will prevail. You will be one with the system."

MattAces

So is REZ Infinite! ;)

Oh, don't get me wrong. If you think you will love it, DEFINITELY buy it. I'm getting it day one for sure, $25 is supposedly the price. But be prepared, there will be a lot of bitching on reddit, youtube review or those gaming media site reporting on how short the game is and calling it a tech demo or whatever.

Best Buy has a 4th of July sale going on. PSVR games are not advertised as part of the sale but they have some good deals right now.

$29.99 ($23.99 GCU)
Rigs (cheaper on psn)
Werewolves Within

$19.99 ($15.99 GCU)
Driveclub VR
Batman Arkham VR
Playstation VR Worlds (cheaper on psn until tommorow)
Job Simulator
Until Dawn rush of blood (cheaper on psn)
Starblood Arena

Might bite at Driveclub or Rigs for $20 on psn, but I didn't really care for either demo.

darkwing

What is the game like for newcomers ?

there are training missions, and you can always play Coop vs AI in the MP, and missing players are just populated by bots even in PvP , you will not be waiting in queue all the time

there are three different kind of ships, fighters, support and heavies depending on your play style

personally I love the support , aim your shield recharging/draining beam using your VR headset like in rigs, and blast them when their shields are gone

Juice

I found two Farpoint + Aim bundles by driving around rural Ohio Walmart stores. Playing with brother now. Really impressed with the Aim hardware. Even little touches like it knows when your alt hand is on the front of the gun to detect whether you're holding it one handed

bumpkin

Speaking of Werewolves Within, is anyone interested in buying a used copy from me? I bought it new and I've only played it about three times for an hour. It's just not my cup of tea.

I wish I had noticed the sale earlier, I'd have bit on Job Simulator for $16 with GCU. It's showing up as Sold Out online now. :(

The Dude

You sold me too. For $8, I'm giving it a shot.

Cool, hope you enjoy. It's not like it's a polished masterpiece but what I loved is simply the viewpoint and how you almost feel in a Mario type platformer world. Love how your inventory chest just pops up in front of you and it's all simplistic but very fun, the sale price is what made of even better.

But I'll say this again the assembly is awesome, I absolutely adore this game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I use Sennheiser 579s with PSVR and you need to extend them around an inch more than you would without the PSVR on. PSVR goes on first, then headphones.

The Dude

Threw my earbuds in tonight also since I couldn't really crank it up and once again I learn just as some of you said how much it adds to the experience.

But not to really bring that other thread into here but I do have to say I question anyone who flat out tries vr and says nah not impressive, that just feels like an agenda to me. I get breaking down the walls as I needed mine broken down, but to try it and act like it's nothing is insanity, unless someone truly can't get over sickness which I get. But otherwise it feels like simply an agenda.

Wollan

I saw these concept earphones at E3:

DCUZRf-XYAEFNlx.jpg:large

Hope they are releasing soon.

MattAces

Threw my earbuds in tonight also since I couldn't really crank it up and once again I learn just as some of you said how much it adds to the experience.

But not to really bring that other thread into here but I do have to say I question anyone who flat out tries vr and says nah not impressive, that just feels like an agenda to me. I get breaking down the walls as I needed mine broken down, but to try it and act like it's nothing is insanity, unless someone truly can't get over sickness which I get. But otherwise it feels like simply an agenda.

Well, I kind of understand how that feels. I really hate to say this, but price factors in a whole lot, plus the constant stream of bad media coverage on VR. That's the reason why "VR only has tech demo", "every VR games are 30 minutes long experience" are still burned into gamer's head.
Only casual people who aren't dedicated enough to follow gaming news/gaming forums are willing to give it a try and get blown away by it then decided to buy it OR people who are genuinely interested in tech stuff and is dedicated enough to do their research. And then there's the center zone, the biggest sample size of all, where people try to be ignorant, follow gaming news/certain youtubers religiously and listen to everything they say. Some people actually learned how to hate VR and what's the hardest thing for someone on the internet to do? Admiting they are wrong. Plus bringing the super negative thoughts into trying new stuff will never have a positive outcome to begin with.
It frustrates me whenever people try to give advise/opinion after watching a let's play or walkthrough of certain stuff and make it sound like it's their own experience and conclusion. Not only VR, normal games too. But this is hurting VR the most, since recorded VR footage is always awful.

The Dude

Well, I kind of understand how that feels. I really hate to say this, but price factors in a whole lot, plus the constant stream of bad media coverage on VR. That's the reason why "VR only has tech demo", "every VR game are 30 minutes long experience" are still burned into gamer's head.
Only casual people who aren't dedicated enough to follow gaming news/gaming forums are willing to give it a try and get blown away by it then decided to buy it OR people who are genuinely interested in tech stuff and is dedicated enough to do their research. And then there's the center zone, the biggest sample size of all, where people try to be ignorant, follow gaming news/certain youtubers religiously and listen to everything they say.
It frustrates me whenever people try to give advise/opinion after watching a let's play or walkthrough of certain stuff and make it sound like it's their own experience and conclusion. Not only VR, normal games too. But this is hurting VR the most, since recorded VR footage is always awful.

Oh but price aside I mean, like guys who try it and say nah... It's just so hard to think anyone wouldn't be impressed by it regardless of purchasing it.

I think 300 would be a solid price, it's a little higher but I swear the more I use it the more I feel it was so justified and so worth it.

MattAces

Oh but price aside I mean, like guys who try it and say nah... It's just so hard to think anyone wouldn't be impressed by it regardless of purchasing it.

I think 300 would be a solid price, it's a little higher but I swear the more I use it the more I feel it was so justified and so worth it.

I did a small edit
Some people actually learned how to hate VR and what's the hardest thing for someone on the internet to do? Admiting they are wrong. Plus bringing the super negative thoughts into trying new stuff will never have a positive outcome to begin with.

So yea, when the hatred of VR, super expensive price, tech demo 30 minutes are burned in your mind and that is what you are thinking while trying it, you will try your best to not like it for sure.

The Dude

It might also be a case of people who can't buy one, so the easy thing is to hate it..

I'm the type where if I couldn't, I'd be selling shit, cutting grass for extra work or something, just doing some little things to make extra change if I were younger or what not.

For me and my work 500 is always doable, it was just a matter of worth... At first I wasn't really happy, I liked it but I felt hmmmm... This is neat but now I'm seeing real games and feeling real gaming with it, and I'm stoked because of it.

MattAces

It might also be a case of people who can't buy one, so the easy thing is to hate it..

I'm the type where if I couldn't, I'd be selling shit, cutting grass for extra work or something, just doing some little things to make extra change if I were younger or what not.

For me and my work 500 is always doable, it was just a matter of worth... At first I wasn't really happy, I liked it but I felt hmmmm... This is neat but now I'm seeing real games and feeling real gaming with it, and I'm stoked because of it.

I actually have quite a semi similar experience. I guess that "can't afford it so hate it" statement might apply to some, but not everybody. I grew up with PlayStation and got into Nintendo quite early on. Never a Xbox guy, during E3 2017, the entire conference is just a snooze fest to me. But during the Sony conference, I freaked out for almost every announcement. And then I read about how people are saying Sony conference is the worst of all, Microsoft is so much better and stuff. One X is so great, blown away by the graphics. But honestly One X doesn't impress me even a little. Not to say that I hate it, just that I really don't care about Microsoft IP (perhaps I never tried it? Maybe I will love it after playing it?). Plus Xbox is not even an option in my country, Xbox Live doesn't have the option to select my country or region (South East Asia).
So naturally, Xbox is in the dead zone for me, I will probably never get to try it, now I no longer care about it. The differences is, I don't go around spreading the hate or ignorant comments on certain stuff, I just keep my mouth shut since I don't have an opinion to be formed.

I guess because of this, I will never be impressed by whatever exclusive games Microsoft is announcing. *also I have a backup mid-end pc ready for those title*

bumpkin

It's interesting seeing people get in or get out of the PSVR game. I went from simply being interested in it because it was "the new thing" and getting a preorder, to backing out of my preorder because I was worried if it'd be worth it or not, to buying a Core Bundle on impulse after getting to try the demo at a local Best Buy, to having doubts about keeping it when I was setting it all up (the litany of cords and equipment), to absolutely loving it and wanting to show it to every friend/family member I can.

Being close to 8 months out from release, I'm glad I kept it. I had an absolute blast with PSVR Worlds (criminally underrated IMHO), Playroom VR, Rush of Blood, Batman: Arkham VR, Robinson, Wayward Sky, Resident Evil 7, DiRT Rally, and most recently Farpoint. I'm just eager for there to be more full-fledged games for it!

My only regret is not having a PS4 Pro to play on it as I understand the IQ is markedly better, but I love my particular limited edition PS4 and would hate to retire it for something generic.

The Dude

I actually have quite a semi similar experience. I guess that "can't afford it so hate it" statement might apply to some, but not everybody. I grew up with PlayStation and got into Nintendo quite early on. Never a Xbox guy, during E3 2017, the entire conference is just a snooze fest to me. But during the Sony conference, I freaked out for almost every announcement. And then I read about how people are saying Sony conference is the worst of all, Microsoft is so much better and stuff. One X is so great, blown away by the graphics. But honestly One X doesn't impress me even a little. Not to say that I hate it, just that I really don't care about Microsoft IP (perhaps I never tried it? Maybe I will love it after playing it?). Plus Xbox is not even an option in my country, Xbox Live doesn't have the option to select my country or region (South East Asia).
So naturally, Xbox is in the dead zone for me, I will probably never get to try it, now I no longer care about it. The differences is, I don't go around spreading the hate or ignorant comments on certain stuff, I just keep my mouth shut since I don't have an opinion to be formed.

I think that's reasonable tho, and like you said you're not just going around bashing it. What it is for me is when people say they don't care but yet make up bogus excuses as to why, things that aren't issues at all. It's sort of natural for some to say I don't care before they try things tho in situations, picking a console I feel is a little different personally but like you said it's not even an option really.

But when people go out of their way to say they tried something as revolutionary as VR and say it's not impressive that just screams they're either lying or thru have an agenda to me

It's interesting seeing people get in or get out of the PSVR game. I went from simply being interested in it because it was "the new thing" and getting a preorder, to backing out of my preorder because I was worried if it'd be worth it or not, to buying a Core Bundle on impulse after getting to try the demo at a local Best Buy, to having doubts about keeping it when I was setting it all up (the litany of cords and equipment), to absolutely loving it and wanting to show it to every friend/family member I can.

Being close to 8 months out from release, I'm glad I kept it. I had an absolute blast with PSVR Worlds (criminally underrated IMHO), Playroom VR, Rush of Blood, Batman: Arkham VR, Robinson, Wayward Sky, Resident Evil 7, DiRT Rally, and most recently Farpoint. I'm just eager for there to be more full-fledged games for it!

My only regret is not having a PS4 Pro to play on it as I understand the IQ is markedly better, but I love my particular limited edition PS4 and would hate to retire it for something generic.

It's funny because I did the same thing. I had it pre orders for launch and canceled it because I thought this is not going to give me what I want and I was good with canceling. It was my friend really saying how cool and good farpoint is that got me thinking again and every single time I use it I think damn what an awesome 500 bucks spent.

ranmafan

I'm kinda surprised to when I read some people's reactions, especially to psvr or the pc options, and saying they were unimpressed. I can understand the cardboard mobile vr stuff, interesting but really lacking when I tried that at first, but trying psvr the first time was like video gaming had started fresh all over again. And it felt like really this whole new world we were promised for decades was coming true. And I've yet to meet anyone in person who has not been blown away by the technology. Every single person whose tried out my psvr couldn't believe it. They were so in awe at the experience. Even to those that hate games it was something they wanted to try more. But of course you can't please everyone, still I agree it's hard to think some are unimpressed with their vr experiences based on the experiences I've had and seen.

I do think also some press a negative tone for vr for no reason. Yeah the price is high, that sucks, but with what you are getting it's understandable. But what I hated were those complaining during e3 about all the vr talk. Many complained about games being talked about in press conferences. I was like "why?" We wanted to see vr supported right, so why was there so much negativity to it? I was overjoyed seeing so much good news about vr. But some just ignore it. And don't get me started about the negativity on skyrim vr. I know I know, everyone wants a new elders scrolls, but come on, it's vr skyrim, how can you hate that?

Still I think more people are impressed by it than not, and if the price can get to the right point it's just only going to get bigger. Personally psvr has given me so many of the dream gaming experiences I've wanted for over thirty years. And I've gotten all of those in just a few months. And I can't wait to see what's next.

ffvorax

Finally had a chance to try my new PSPro with my PSVR...

The difference is HUGE to me. Really, it's totally worth the upgrade!

I tried Until Dawn, RE7, Playroom, Danganronpa VR(this for the first time, would love to play the game like this :D).

The games were less blurry and more detailed! Until Dawn I noticed an higher resolution, RE7 is even more beautiful, Playroom is better, but it was already good before, it looks just more sharp.

I'm going to try again also Robinson in the next days, but really happy with my purchase.

Also its much less noisy even playing VR games, I hope it stay like this, I read a lot of people complaining that their PSPRO was even more noisy than their OG PS4.

Top Bottom